• Published 6th Mar 2013
  • 6,690 Views, 392 Comments

My Little Warcraft - New Friends - Shin Guyviroth



When a blood elf is thrown from one world to another, he must contend with the increasing discomfort as he deals with talking ponies, a world ruled by animals, and an ever-growing fear of Pinkie Pie. Will he find his way back home?

  • ...
15
 392
 6,690

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 32 - The Burden of Guilt

Applejack stood back as she gazed over the crowd before her. "Heh. Ponyville ain't never looked so much better! Ain't that right, Twi?" she said cheerfully.

Everyone around Ponyville was helping with the reconstruction of the town. Earth Ponies carried palettes of bricks and buckets of mortar on wagons. The Pegasus Ponies used their wings to take them to the higher levels of buildings to help with tiling the roofs and other remedial works. The Unicorns used their potent magics to help move and gather everything to make the jobs quicker for everyone. Even the ponies who had been healed by Gai'vahros some time before helped with the labour, completely revitalized both physically and mentally.

Within such a short amount of time, so much had been done. A lot of the buildings had been rebuilt and all of the ground work -- paving, cobblestones, grass -- had been amended.

"This is a lot better than I expected," replied Twilight before handing another pony a hard hat and a set of goggles. "Even all the injured ponies at the hospital are working with us. Gai'vahros must have done something pretty amazing to get them all so… active."

"Hey now, speaking of which, where is he? Actually, I haven't seen Fluttershy or Rainbow Dash for a while, either." Applejack's eyes dulled. "You don't think…?"

Twilight shook her head. "I doubt it. She said she would meet him in the frozen north. I don't know why, but… I have to believe her -- this much, at least."

"Why do ya think that?"

"I don't know. When I saw her look on her face when she spoke to him, it was like she wanted something from him. Then when she gave him back the sword, I knew what it was. She want to…" Twilight shut her eyes, shaking her head to one side.

"Hey," -- Applejack placed her hoof on Twilight's shoulder -- "don'tchya worry 'bout nothin', sugar cube. We're all here for Gai. Ain't none of us gonna let anythin' --"

"Hah! Told ya I'd win!" yelled Rainbow Dash as she came to a sudden halt on the ground, skidding a few meters and leaving four trails of dirt in the grass. As she turned to look behind her, she didn't see anyone. "Huh. Guess I was too fast."

"C'mon now, Dashie!" exclaimed Applejack as she bonked her on the head with her hoof. "We just finished getting' this grass tidy before y'all came an' ruined it again."

"O-oh! S-sorry," cooed Rainbow Dash, blushing with a large, innocent grin.

"Nevermind about the grass," said Twilight, "where's Gai'vahros and Fluttershy?"

"Oh! Well, we were racing and… I guess I lost 'em?"

Sounds of heavy panting could be heard from behind them. As the three ponies looked on, Gai'vahros came jogging -- albeit sluggishly -- down the path, with Fluttershy casually fluttering beside him.

"H-hey," wheezed Gai'vahros as he came to a stop. Hunching over with his hands on his knees, he tried to grasp whatever breath he could. "You didn't…" he raised his hand in the air "Hold on… okay…" quickly he straightened up, shrugging off his shoulders. "You didn't lose me… I was just cruising."

"Yeah, right," scoffed Rainbow Dash. "Why didn't you use your wings?"

"Thought I'd give you a fighting chance."

Fluttershy placed her hooves on the elf's shoulders. "Gai'vahros, you shouldn't be exhausting yourself so soon! You need to sit down and rest."

"Nah, I'm okay. I just need something to drink. All that healing drains you, you know."

"Okay. I'll go get you some," spoke Fluttershy before heading off into the town.

As Gai'vahros slumped down onto the cobblestones with out-stretched legs, Applejack smirked as she trotted over to him. "Looks like ya had a pretty tirin' day, Gai."

The elf looked up at her with a smile. "Yeah… you could say that." His eyes began to look around the scene before him. Even though his vision was blurry, he still saw that so much work had been done while he was gone, even noticing that the ponies he had aided at the hospital were helping here. The feeling made him feel at home, welcome, knowing that he could be of so much help here. But he saw more than that. He saw a village of people who helped each other, worked with one another, like they were all just one big family. Just like Silvermoon. "But it was all worth it."


Gai'vahros lifted the large bucket to his lips, tipping it upwards as he began to monstrously gulp down the water. Streams of it began pouring from the sides and down his lips and chin. Some of it even washed past his face altogether and soaked his locks of hair down his shoulders. All the other ponies could do was sit in awe with widened eyes as they saw him engulf the bucket's contents like a whale.

With a large clang, Gai'vahros slammed the bucket onto the picnic table. "Ah! I feel so much better now!" he cried out with a big smile. "Thank you, my Lady Fluttershy." As he turned to her, he noticed her blank yet staring disposition. He soon realized everyone else had the same look when his eyes turned to them. "What? Do I have something on my face?"

"Gai'vahros," spoke Rarity softly. "I've never seen anyone drink something so… barbarically! It just doesn't suit someone of your status!"

"I'm just wonderin' where he's puttin' it all," spoke Applejack.

"I think I saw his armor pop out a little," joined Rainbow Dash, pointing at Gai'vahros' stomach.

"What? I was thirsty," mumbled Gai'vahros, crossing his arms on top of the table. "But anyway, it's nice to see the town rebuilt this quick. Kinda makes me annoyed that Silvermoon has been destroyed for seven years and yet there's still nothing rebuilt, and yet Orgrimmar gets two renovations in one year! What's taking them so damn long?"

"Well, when we find a way to get you back home, we could always come and give you a hand with rebuilding your city," comforted Twilight.

"That would be great."

"Oh! That reminds me," said Rarity, "how did the visit to the hospital go? You were gone for an awfully long time."

"Yeah, sorry about that," apologized Gai'vahros. "The patients didn't take all that long, but something… something else came up…"

Twilight raised an eyebrow. "I don't like how you trailed off like that. What happened?"

"We… met someone… called Gilda." The whole group gasped, with Applejack nearly choking on her sip of drink. "I guess it's true. You all know of her?"

"Know of her?" repeated Applejack. Her eyes narrowed and her teeth gritted against each other. "She came in here and started causing a ruckus! That no-good, bent-beaked --"

"Applejack!" Gai'vahros chided her.

As Applejack looked up at him, she was met only with a sorrowed expression on his face. The elf shook his head before turning to Rainbow Dash. Applejack's eyes followed, and saw the same expression on her friend. "I… I'm sorry, Dashie…"

"Gai'vahros, Rainbow Dash," cooed Twilight softly. "What happened?"

Rainbow Dash turned to look at Twilight, but her eyes trailed off into Gai'vahros'. She opened her mouth to speak, but nothing came out. Instead, she shook her head before resting it against the elf's arm.

"It's okay, Rainbow Dash," spoke Gai'vahros, putting his arm around her side and holding her close. With a sigh, he turned to the group. "Gilda was in the hospital as well. She suffered major harm that were… considered fatal."

"Oh, no…" whimpered Rarity, shaking her head. She hunched forwards. "What did it? Is she okay? She's not going to… is she…?"

"No, nothing of the sort," replied Gai'vahros with a smile, relieving Rarity of the burden of thought. "The attack in the forest was what happened. Liliandra attacked Gilda in the forest. She suffered a lot of injuries from it."

"But… why was she attacked?" asked Twilight.

"Gilda was carrying Quel'Serrar. She said she found it in the forest. That would explain how Liliandra got a hold of it."

"… How is she…?"

"She's doing really well." A smile crept on Twilight's face, and, to his and Rainbow Dash' surprise, so it did on everyone else's. "She's a tough Griffon. Anyone else would have died after a day, but she went nearly a whole week. I managed to heal her wounds the best I could, but that's why we took so long."

Rainbow Dash sat up from Gai'vahros before looking up at him. "Did she say anything to you, Gai…? Anything at all…?"

"Yeah. She told me a few things." Gai'vahros stood to his feet and stepped over the bench. "But I told her that she can tell you in person when she gets out of the hospital. I spoke to the doctor and we agreed to give her some rest until she's discharged in the morning. You can go visit her then."

"You're a great person, ya know that, Gai?" spoke Applejack.

"I try my best. Oh, my Lady Twilight, do the trains still run at this time?"

"They run at all times. Why do you ask?"

"I need to go see a couple of people. Need to go put things right." Twilight gaze a nod in response. "I probably won't be back until the morning, so don't worry about me too much. Have a good night, girls."


A stream of silver-blue streaked across the night sky, leaving only a trail of cascading moonlight and the glittering sparkle of the stars in its wake. A number of bat-winged Pegasus guards pulled the hefty, decorated indigo carriage across the currents before heading back to Canterlot Castle. Swiftly descending, the guards landed upon a large, circular, domed balcony.

"You took six-point-eight seconds longer than yesterday," exclaimed Princess Luna in frustration. "I demand you be at least ten seconds faster tomorrow evening!"

"Y-yes, Princess! Apologies, Princess!" the guards barked simultaneously.

"Hmph!" Luna walked from the balcony into the castle her hoofsteps louder than usual. "I am retiring to my chambers early! I am not to be disturbed under any circumstance!"

"Yes, Princess!"

The Princess' heavy steps echoed through the halls of the castle, even as they were muffled from the lines of red carpet. Her angered eyes kept shifting from side to side at the guards who lined the walls -- and every one of them bolted straight as soon as they locked eyes with her.

Except for one guard, who was the unluckiest of them all tonight.

"You! Guard!" cried out Luna, her voice ringing throughout the halls. "Approach me this instant!"

"Y-y-yes, Princess Luna!" the guard stuttered, beads of sweat dripping down his cheek as he stumbled towards her. He stood in front of her, but could barely keep himself straight as his knees shook.

"You call that standing in attention, guard!? Stand up straight while I'm talking to you!"

"Y-yes, Princess! I'm s-sorry, Luna!"

"Luna!?" she screamed in repetition. She lunged forward as the guard, pressing her snout against his. "A guard such as you would dare address me with such informality!? You are to address me as "Princess!" Do I make myself clear!?"

The guard could only stare into her piercing, aqua eyes and whimper before her. "… I… I'm…"

Thankfully, Luna relented on her pressure, making her face away from his and walking past him. "Get back in line, guard," she demanded. The poor stallion shook in terror as he slowly made his way back. Luna climbed the steps of the main hall, retiring to her quarters with a loud slam of the door.

Luna gave a frustrated sigh as she walked over to her dressing table. Sitting on a large, silk cushion, she used her magic to groom her hair with a nearby hair brush while removing her shoes. Her glance into the mirror turned from one of anger to one of regret. "I shouldn't have lost my temper," she spoke softly to herself, turning her gaze from her own reflection. "It wasn't his fault…"

But it wasn't enough for her to admit so little. Her eyes trailed back to the mirror as she finished grooming her flowing mane. As she went to place her hooves on her collar to remove it, one of them ended up trailing down the strap and upon her chest. She pressed it gently into her coat, pressing the skin. It still burned a little. That fierce look returned to her eyes.

"It's all his fault!"

A duo of slow knocks brought her out of her episode, but she nonetheless remained ever so irate. "Who is it?" she yelled. "I told you that I'm not to be interrupted under any circumstance!"

"B-but they say it's urgent! News about the guards stationed in Ponyville just came in!"

Luna halted briefly. "Ponyville…" she mumbled to herself. "Fine. He may enter."

The door opened ajar for a moment. Luna only kept her gaze upon the mirror, seeing everything reflected upon its surface. Her eyes widened, however, when she noticed a set of red-silk, gold, plated digits wrap around the frame of the door and pushing it open slowly.

"It's me," a voice spoke from behind the door. The door creaked softly on its hinges as Gai'vahros pushed it fully open, stepping inside and closing it behind him. "I'm sorry for dropping in unannounced, Princess, but --"

"So it wasn't enough for you to disrespect me and my sister, as well as our royal guards. Now you have to barge into my room, too?"

"Forgive me, Princess… but you allowed me to enter."

Luna's head violently turned to him, her eyes piercing through his golden armor. "If I'd known it was you I would have had you thrown flank first off the balcony!"

Gai'vahros, however, stayed silent. He stood as though in attention to his own Regent Lord, giving Luna all the respect she deserved. But he knew he couldn't give everything he wanted. Not after what happened earlier today.

"… The guard said you bring news of Ponyville…?"

"That's correct, Your Majesty."

Luna gulped a little. "… How was everything?"

"Could have been worse."

"How --" she cleared her throat "-- how many guards lasted?"

"… None."

The Princess sighed heavily, hanging her head low. "I… I see…"

"Do not fret too much, Your Majesty. None of them were killed, only wounded. They've received healing, and will be back in Canterlot by the morning."

"What? Under whose orders were they to return?"

"Mine."

"Yours? You have no right to --!" Luna stopped herself from speaking further. She knew it was inevitable. "No… You're right. If they weren't able to defend Ponyville, then they have no further need to be there. What about the civilians?"

"There were a lot of wounded, but no casualties. Some of the town got destroyed, too, but we're already undergoing reconstruction."

For the first time all day, Luna gave a smile, if only a little. "I'm glad to hear that we've had no major losses, Gai'vahros." Slowly she stood, turning to him. "My sister was right. You're the only one who knows about this threat to its full extent -- a lot more than anyone else." Her smile turned sour once more, frowning as she looked down. "I was stupid to ignore your advice, and it… it almost got our guards killed…"

Gai'vahros walked over to the saddened Alicorn, placing his hand on her chin. His soft, silk fingers pressed against her coat. "Luna. Look at me."

She did so, slowly inch after inch, as her eyes gazed up to his.

"You did what you believed was necessary. None of us know what choice is right or wrong until it's happened. Besides, if your guards weren't there to hold out for as long as they did, then a lot worse could have happened to Ponyville. There could have very well been casualties. There could have very well not been a Ponyville anymore."

Luna paused before quickly whipping her head from his grasp. "I don't need your pity! I don't need you trying to comfort me with your words."

"But it is true, Your Majesty. You did what you had to do for the best of your people. Your guards fulfilled their duties without question, because they knew it was their duty to."

"It's their duty to throw their lives away in my name?"

"It's their duty to protect Equestria in your name. Whether they choose to die is their choice -- not yours. The fact that they stayed in the face of a death knight shows more courage and dedication than you give them credit for." Gai'vahros kept his eyes on Luna, watching as her saddened look began to ease. But, something troubled him. Something didn't sound right. "… Do you not expect your guards to die for you? Has Equestria never seen war before?"

Luna remained silent. Her head swung low, away from Gai'vahros, in discomfort. After a pause, she looked up at the fireplace, watching as the silvery-blue flames flickered in the alcove. "I've seen a lot of good people die in the Chaos War. Ponies, Griffons, Dragons -- I've seen them all perish in that time. That was over a thousand years ago. Even so, it still flickers in and out of my consciousness."

"… I'm sorry to hear that…"

"Don't be. It's not like you were around that time ago."

"I was."

"Truly? You look very… handsome for your age."

"Not as good as you, I fear."

The both of them chuckled in unison. For the first time in a long time, the both of them found another to laugh with.

Luna turned and smiled at the elf. "You remind me of him, you know. I think my sister does, too."

"Remind you of whom, Your Majesty?" asked Gai'vahros.

"A Pegasus whom we both adventured with all that time ago, during the Chaos War. Light's Beacon was his name." A gentle sigh rolled off her breath, but not one of dissatisfaction like before. "He was always there to protect us and everyone he saw that needed help. He'd always inspire us to keep going -- even in the darkest of times. He was a natural born leader. And the greatest friend we could ask for."

"He sounds like he would have made a great paladin." However, Gai'vahros only came to realize why she had not mentioned him before. As his own mood fell, he could feel it in Luna, too. "I'm sorry for your loss, Your Majesty."

"He… departed in a manner fit for a great pony. It was his choice to leave us." Again she gazed into the eyes of the elf. For her, she felt comfort in his calm, gentle demeanour. She felt the same way about Light's Beacon, too. "Gai'vahros, I'm… I'm sorry about earlier. I'm sorry for everything I've done to --"

"No, Your Majesty," interjected Gai'vahros. "It is I who should be sorry. I once again let my emotions get the better of me."

"You've all the right to. I hope that, mayhap, we can begin anew. I would like it if you would stay for tonight's dinner. I'm sure my sister would appreciate your company, as well."

Gai'vahros chuckled. "Oh, Your Majesty, are you asking me out on a date?" he asked through a wily grin.

"Do not push your luck," she retorted, but couldn't help but smile back. "But maybe you can treat me for dinner at a later time."

"Hah. Well, I humbly accept your invitation, Your Majesty."

"Please, call me Luna."

"Certainly, my Lady Luna."

"No, just… oh, nevermind."


Gai'vahros was overwhelmed by the grandeur of both the dining hall and the table he sat at. The hall itself was at least a hundred yards long, with the table nearly the same length. The elf hadn't seen something like this often, although flashes of Karazhan began to resurface.

He remembered the ghostly patrons walking about the tables, serving the guests their food and drink upon intricate, expertly crafted dishes and trays. The diners all dressed in white and blue garments, showing their riches beyond mere coin. A banquet of such splendour was probably just an everyday occasion for them. Despite their ghostly appearance, all of them acted like they were still alive, oblivious to their ultimate fate. Karazhan was still much a mystery to him and everyone else who ventured through it.

But probably not as much a mystery as to why this dining table was so large to fit a hundred guests if the only diners were the Princesses.

"I'm glad you decided to stay with us," spoke Celestia from one end of the table. "I hope you find everything to your liking."

"Everything is immaculate, Your Majesty," replied Gai'vahros graciously, his eyes travelling up and down the top of the table. Various fruit and vegetable salads, sandwiches, confectionary, and other foods littered the entirety of its length so much that he could hardly believe there was enough room -- and how long it would take to clean up. "It's just that… I've never really been asked to attend a feast before…"

"I'm surprised to hear you say that, Gai'vahros," responded Celestia. "You're a very noble person. I would have expected you to be treated more homely considering your position."

"I am but an adventurer and a blood knight, Your Majesty. I am just a guard for my people in the same way that your own guards are for you. I don't see you inviting them to the table, either."

Celestia paused for a moment. Her eyes shifted to Luna, and saw her with a face of discomfort. Despite the question, Celestia had to answer in the only way she could. "No. I suppose you are right." Her focus returned to the elf, watching as he began to place some of the food on his plate. "But you are different. A man who saved your world twice should be treated with as much respect as a noble, if not more."

Gai'vahros was about to pick up one of his sandwiches before his hand stopped, frozen in place. His gaze looked up to the Princess in suspicion. "How do you know about this?" he asked eerily.

"Twilight has sent me a couple of letters talking about you. She says you marched upon the fortress of this "Lich King" and defeated him and his undead forces. She also spoke of how you destroyed a colossal black dragon to stop him from destroying the whole world. She thinks very highly of you."

"She shouldn't." The elf placed his fingers on top of the bread, tapping his index finger on it, seemingly without presence of mind. "Did she tell you of how many atrocities I've committed? How I took part in sucking the life out of other creatures just to fuel my own power in a quest for vengeance? And how I --" he stopped. His eyes closed as he placed his elbow on the table, resting his head in his hand. "… How I hurt her and her friends?"

"… Yes. She did." Celestia expected him to react, but nothing. She sighed and, with a glowing, pink flash from her horn, created a piece of rolled up parchment. The scroll floated towards Gai'vahros, stopping just in front of him. "I think you'd best read this, Gai'vahros. Twilight sent this to me a night ago."

"A night ago…?" Gai'vahros head rose. Seeing the scroll before him, his hand grasped it and quickly unrolled it. "That was when I…" He stopped for a moment, then began to read through the contents.



Dear Princess Celestia,

Tonight I have experienced something truly horrible. Something frightening. Something that I thought would only exist in the darkest reaches of Equestria. I saw one of my friends tortured before my very eyes -- by someone who I thought was truly great. Someone I looked up to. Someone who I really admired. It was then that I realized that sometimes friendship isn't worth holding if your friend can be someone and do something so cruel. I want nothing to do with him anymore. I just want him away from me. Away from all of us.



"Why…?" Gai'vahros' grip tightened around the paper, scrunching the side of it. "Why would you show this to me?"

"Read all of it. You'll understand."

The elf's eyes shifted back to its words.



I can imagine him now when he told us how he nearly killed a "Naaru" to gain power. About how he…how he used it to defend his people. To take back his homeland. To save his world…

With every word I write to you, I begin to think, to understand. Even though I know he hurt Rainbow Dash as a way to keep her from further harm, I still find it hard to forgive him. But I know that deep inside he's a good person. I really do. Everyone has problems, right? And from what he has told me about himself, about his world, I don't think I can possibly hope to ever understand just how hard his life has been. And yet, despite that, he always smiles. He always cares. He's always willing to put himself in front of others. And perhaps, sometime, somewhere, it'll cost him his life. And that's what scares me the most.

That's why I've decided to try and make things right between him and us. I've always been taught that friendship is magical. If that's true, then something like this cannot simply destroy it. I just hope that I'm doing the right thing. No, I know I'm doing the right thing -- for all of us.

Your faithful student, Twilight Sparkle.



Before Gai'vahros even noticed her, Celestia stood right beside him, gazing over his shoulder as he finished reading. "Do you see now, Gai'vahros?" she spoke softly into his ear. "Everyone has their faults, but we shouldn't simply look down on others because of them. A person should be merited for their good deeds, too. Despite your "atrocities", you've done far more good than you have done bad. Do you understand?"

"I do…" His grip loosened on the letter before setting down on the table gently. His fingers still rested on its surface, lightly stroking it with slow twitches of his fingers. "But, even so… the guilt weighs heavy on me. Nothing I can do will atone me for it."

"But whom do you seek atonement from if the forgiveness of the person you offended is not enough?"

"I…"

Gai'vahros stopped. Even though he felt like it wasn't enough, Celestia was right. Who was it that he sought forgiveness from if not from the ones he acted against? A'dal gave him forgiveness when he took part in draining M'uru of its life, and everyone gave him their forgiveness after he hurt Rainbow Dash. In fact, it was Rainbow Dash who forgave him the most -- she even tried to defend him when he went back.

Maybe it was all the forgiveness that he needed.

"You're right, Your Majesty," he spoke up at last. "I shouldn't worry about trying to give forgiveness is everything and everyone. Maybe it's their forgiveness that really matters in the end. Thank you."

The Princess giggled. "It's alright, Gai'vahros. And, just call me Celestia."

"As you wish, my Lady Celestia."

"No, no, just Cel --"

"Do not worry about it too much, sister. Just go with it."

PreviousChapters Next