• Published 6th Mar 2013
  • 6,690 Views, 392 Comments

My Little Warcraft - New Friends - Shin Guyviroth



When a blood elf is thrown from one world to another, he must contend with the increasing discomfort as he deals with talking ponies, a world ruled by animals, and an ever-growing fear of Pinkie Pie. Will he find his way back home?

  • ...
15
 392
 6,690

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 28 - Blackluster

Dusk began to slowly settle over the city of Canterlot. As the sun passed the hills in the distance, the sky changed from its subtle blues to powerful oranges and violets. Despite the rather late time the pony folk still congregated throughout the city, in front of the late night cafés and the malls. Although the town was brimming with ponies it was very quiet considering the turnout. Quiet conversations could be heard between couples and groups as they took consideration for the ones who had retired to their homes for the evening.

A patrol of guards paced around in a circle along the path that wrapped around a tall, pearl-white tower. A duo stood on either side of the large double doors that stood on its southern face, a pair of lances between them held in their hooves stood upright. The guards were not like they were before -- donned in heavy silvered armor with crescent moon-shaped gems embedded in the chestguard, they were considerably different from the daytime guards.

"Are you absolutely sure that we'll both be able to get into this library, Lady Twilight?" asked Gai'vahros, uncertain that his presence would be taken in stride considering how much many of the other guards know about his track record from the last few days.

"Don't worry, Gai'vahros," assured Twilight with a confident smile. "As long as I'm allowed in, there should be no problems taking in visitors -- after all, I was able to get in with both Spike and Pinkie Pie with me." She made her way towards the library tower with Gai'vahros following close to her side. "You need to stop worrying so much. Ponies might think you're suspicious."

"Oh, right, because the fact that I'm a six-foot elf with full battle armor and a shield isn't suspicious…"

Regardless of the elf's protests, Twilight approached the guards whom did not suspect the pair of them of anything more than mere visitation rights. "Good to see you again, Miss Twilight," the right guard welcomed with the utmost hospitality. "I assume you're giving your guest here a guided tour of Canterlot?"

"Something like that," she responded with a chuckle. "We're here just to see if there are any scrolls that could help Gai'vahros here get back to his own world."

"His "own world"? You make it sound like that this person is some sort of interstellar galaxy-hopper or something."

An amused Gai'vahros only laughed softly at the notion. "You could say that. But what Lady Twilight says is true -- I am from a world far from your own called "Azeroth"."

"Well I'll be…" Both guards were bemused by such talk though with much marvel, seeing a creature not of their planet. It made them think of what else could be beyond their sights and reach aside from Gai'vahros and Azeroth. "Well, I'd better let you in," the guard continued, stepping to the side and opening the door before them. "Hope you find what you're looking for."

The elf let out a soft chuckle. "I hope we do, too." The two strode inside as the guards closed the door behind them. Gai'vahros expected the tower to be of a hollow structure with spiralling staircases that lead to the higher floors, but instead found that inside was just a single circular corridor with several doors circling a large central column that housed a multitude of rooms. "So where about is this "Star Swirl the Bearded wing", my Lady Twilight?" asked Gai'vahros.

"It's not too far from here," she replied. "It's on the third floor. Just follow me." The mare led him around one side of the branching corridor, taking him to a flight of spiralling steps. "You never told me about this "Nexus War", Gai'vahros. Something to do with powerful magic, right?"

Gai'vahros looked up at her as he took his first step on the stairs, remembering about the promise to tell her about this particular event. "Hah. I completely forgot," he responded softly with a smirk, though he wasn't sure if he should really talk about it outside of those involved. He spoke with reluctance, "It all started back ten-thousand years ago during the War of the Ancients. The blue dragonflight's leader, Malygos, lost his entire flight during that war that drove him to near-insanity. In time, he finally snapped from his dementia and lead a newly born blue dragonflight, and "awoken" with clearer eyes. Perhaps too clear."

"Too clear? How so?"

"Malygos is the aspect of magic -- the draconic personification of all things arcane and magical in nature, his mind a trove of knowledge of everything in and beyond the nether. So, when he awoken, he came to the conclusion that all mortal races on Azeroth were "misusing" magic, casting it too frequently without regard. He feared that it would draw forth the Burning Legion again just as the Highborne did ten-thousand years ago. He waged open war upon the magic-users of Azeroth -- thus started the Nexus War."

"That sounds… horrible…" Her mind flooded with thoughts of how powerful magic on Azeroth could be to be able to instigate a full-blown war between mortals and dragons. "So… what happened…?"

"A lot of bloodshed, my Lady Twilight." Gai'vahros sighed from a mix of exhaustion and remembrance. "The rest of the dragon aspects fought against him, believing that what he thought was wrong. In the end, most of his dragonflight was destroyed and he himself was slain. It was a great loss to all of us despite his malevolence. We had since crowned a new aspect of magic, though. All for naught, I might add."

"What do you mean?"

"A year ago -- perhaps longer, I've no idea -- we had defeated the aspect of earth -- The Destroyer, Deathwing. When that had happened, the rest of the dragon aspects lost their divine powers gifted to them by the "Creators", the Titans. I had only learned some time after that it was prophesized that they would lose their domains after saving our world from "its biggest threat". Loremasters had thought it would be another Legion invasion but was, in fact, harkening the end of Azeroth had Deathwing achieved his goals."

"You mean your world was nearly destroyed? That entire battle was what stopped it from happening?"

"True enough, but all our other fights could be down to saving or breaking our world. Our fight against the Legion in Outland and our crusade through the Sunwell stopped Kil'jaeden and his armies from potentially destroying Azeroth. Our war against the Lich King stopped him from invading Kalimdor and the Eastern Kingdoms and turning our entire planet into nothing but death and decay. We've all been through a lot, but it's those fights and battles and raids and wars that keep us hardened and vigilant. We fight because we must."

"I don't know how many times I can think or say it, Gai'vahros, but you and your world -- your whole culture -- never ceases to amaze me."

"It never ceases to amaze me either, my Lady Twilight…"

The last three steps were all that remains before reaching the third floor. "Here we are," exclaimed Twilight as she lead the elf around the corridor to a set of double doors at the center. A large plaque of hardened silver and bronze livery and letters read "Star Swirl the Bearded Wing" above the doorframe. "The scroll we're looking for should just be in here."

Twilight opened the doors to allow both of them to step inside at once. The entire room was filled wall to wall and in several rows with bookshelves, containing a multitude of small books, heavy tomes and rolled up scrolls and parchment. At the center of the back of the room stood a peculiar-looking monument of a huge hourglass on a pedestal. Beyond it were several alcoves filled with more bookshelves with even more scrolls.

A purple glow enveloped Twilight's horn as she began shifting through scrolls, dragging them to her and reading them one at a time but going so fast that it looked like she would be done within minutes. It was any wonder to Gai'vahros how she could read each scroll as quick as she was, only gazing at them for a second if that. "It's around here somewhere," grunted Twilight. "I'm sure of it."

"You sure that no one else might have taken it?" suggested Gai'vahros.

"I highly doubt it," she responded. "All the things in here cannot be taken out of the library, and -- Ahah!" A huge smile crept over her lips as she cried out. "This is the right spell! I just… hope it works…"

Gai'vahros looked from the parchment Twilight held in front of her to down at her face. Her voice quietened for a moment not like she had been before -- cheerful and enthusiastic. Her voice sounded sombre and saddened. "Lady Twilight… what's wrong?"

She sighed softly as her eyes slowly shifted towards him as she turned around. "It's just… I'm gonna miss you, Gai'vahros." The scroll quickly rolled back up and sat within her bag. "I know I'm being selfish and that I should be happy for you to return home, but… I just wish that you could stay longer."

"I know, Lady Twilight. I wish I could too, but…"

"But what?"

"But every day I spend here means another day goes by on Azeroth without me knowing what's going on. Some of my people are being held as prisoners of war by the Alliance -- prisoners who are only guilty for being blood elves. Who knows how many more have been captured, or even killed. I have to go home."

"But what about that death knight? With you gone, and if they are as powerful that you say they are, then who will defend us?"

"No one, because you will have no need to be defended." Confused, Twilight raised an eyebrow. "When this death knight finds out that I am no longer here, they will have no reason to remain. I am certain that this death knight has come here specifically to follow me. Perhaps to finally kill me. That is also why I am returning back to Azeroth as soon as I can, so no one has to be caught in our crossfire."

Twilight began to understand the worlds Celestia had spoken before, that wherever Gai'vahros went, havoc followed. Despite her notion of sticking beside him to the very end, she also had to respect Gai'vahros' own wishes. She gave out a heavy sigh. "I… I understand…" The scroll rose from her bag with a light lavender glow, unravelling between the two of them as they both browsed its contents. "The preparation seems simple enough. All that needs to be done is to channel my magic into any sort of item that originates from the area you wish to be transported to."

"An item that originates from that area, huh?" Rummaging through one of his pockets, Gai'vahros grasped and withdrew a small stone with a sigil carved in a spiral shape upon its rounded face. "This hearthstone originates from the Ruins of Silvermoon. You're saying that your magic can set this to transport me back to the Ruins?"

"Correct, providing that it works. Let's get started."

Holding out his hand, Gai'vahros awaited for the Unicorn to channel the necessary magic needed according to the directions given. Her horn touched the cold surface of the artefact, bestowing upon it the magic required, letting it flow freely yet controlled from the horn to the stone. At first she did not appear strained by the process, but after a moment had gone by she began to show signs of struggle. Her brow wrinkled and her eyes narrowed, focused and determined on completing this task with a great deal of concentration. Suddenly the flashes and sparkles of pinks and purples vanished, being pulled into the center of the hearthstone. The sigil upon its domed face began to glow once again, glowing in that familiar bright aqua colour that Gai'vahros recognized so well.

"This… Is this ready now?" The elf withdrew his hand after Twilight reared her head back, looking up at him. The stone was only mere inches from him as he began to pivot and turn his hand, scanning and examining the functioning hearthstone. "I'll be able to get back home now?"

"Yeah.. you can leave whenever you want…"

That same tone as before struck Gai'vahros' ears harder than a banshee's wail. Peering past his hand he gazed upon the saddened expression of the young mare before him. His arm lowered as his other hand stretched outwards, placed upon her head and petted her gently. "I'm sorry, my Lady Twilight. I know you wish for me to stay longer, but I must get back as soon as I can. I'm needed on the front lines."

"But Gai'vahros… you'll be…" Twilight pried the words from her mouth through her clenched throat. A small well of tears formed in her eyes but not noticeable by the blood elf. "I'll probably never see you again…"

"I…" Hesitation sat upon his mind as he began to contemplate her words. She was right. He didn't even know how the hell he ended up here, or even if the anomaly could be replicated again at will. He wasn't even sure if the most of Dalaran's brilliance could find out what caused the problem, either. "I know, Twilight… But I'll find a way to come back even if it kills me."

Twilight let out a forced chuckle. "That would defeat the point, you know."

"Hah. True enough. You'll give my love to the girls, won't you?"

"Sure thing. I'm sorry you won't be able to say goodbye to them yourself."

"Not as sorry as I am, my Lady Twilight." Concentrating his focus on the hearthstone, Gai'vahros' hands became enveloped in a bright green glow as the hearthstone began to work its magic. Strips and ribbons of emerald light whisked and swirled around his hands and arms as the magic of it became more and more apparent. "I'll never forget you, Twilight."

"I'll never forget you, too…"

The vortex of energy began to circle the blood elf, bathing him in magics that made his body feel light, softened and restful. Swinging his hands up into the air, the dazzling colours of the hearthstone's magic quickly transcended from emerald green to a clear and bright aqua colour. A column of light shot from his body upwards to the ceiling. However, the light burst outward from his body in all direction like a popped bubble as streams of aqua descended towards the ground, fizzling and dispersing in mid-fall.

"Gai'vahros… are you okay?" asked Twilight, bemused as to what happened, or even if that was supposed to happen.

"Twilight…?" Gai'vahros looked around but saw only what he had seen some seconds prior -- bookshelves filled with scrolls. "It… it didn't work…?" Looking back down to the hearthstone, the sigil upon its face was completely burned out again, no longer holding the glow it had after the spell was complete. Once again, it was devoid of its magic. "I guess that spell wasn't powerful enough."

"I don't understand." Again, Twilight opened the parchment and scanned the directions from top to bottom to the top again, double-checking and triple-checking. "Everything I did was to the letter, for what little letters there are to begin with." The scroll dropped to the ground, ravelling back up on its own. "I'm so sorry, Gai'vahros… I did… I did all I could…" She had never been as upset as she had been up until now. With a mind lacking amnesty, she blamed herself for the failure of the spell despite Gai'vahros' explanation. The mare felt that she had failed him greatly where he needed her the most, and had failed herself for not being able to complete such a simplistic spell, in her opinion.

Gai'vahros shrugged. "Oh well," he responded lackadaisically, slipping the hearthstone back into his pocket. A small smile spread across his lips. "You win some, you lose some."

Twilight was more than baffled by the elf's demeanour. "But, Gai'vahros… aren't you upset? The spell didn't work!"

"No, not really." Turning back to the doors, he pushed one side open. "I've been meaning to try out some of those cakes at Sugarcube Corner anyway." Gai'vahros motioned with his head for Twilight to follow him as he made his way from the wing.

"I don't understand," spoke Twilight as she followed him out, closing the door behind her. "I thought you wanted to go home? You said how you wanted to protect your people, and to protect your world?"

"Things are much grander than I make them out to be, my Lady Twilight," responded Gai'vahros, allowing Twilight to take the lead as they made their way back down. "I am only one of hundreds of people on Azeroth who stand tall against our enemies -- Hell, I'm only one of hundreds of blood elves to become adventurers. Where I am gone, many will rise to take my place. I won't always be around to fight, so I must clear the path for the next generation as it were. I'm sure they'll be fine without me for some time."

"Heh. You make it sound like you want to stay here." Though Twilight was only teasing in retrospect of their prior conversations, she awaited some sort of dismissal from Gai'vahros. The elf did not reply audibly, but only looked back at the Unicorn with the same smile as before, then looked forwards again. "Gai'vahros… do you?"

A light chuckle poured from his lips. "I've been thinking about it for some time now," he responded softly. "The more I remain here, the less I think about back home. I'm beginning to feel like I've no longer a place in the battlefield, what with so many rising adventurers to heed the call in my stead. Perhaps I was right. Perhaps I do need to just settle down, relax, and retire. Stavros probably had the right idea."

"You mean… thinking of staying here?"

"Probably. Probably not. A lot of great blood elf family lines have ended prematurely due to the wars. Sunstrider, Dawnseeker -- only a couple to be named to whom have no successors. I would like to leave a bit of myself for the future. I nice, cute, bouncing baby to succeed me in whatever way they want. But, a partner is obviously required."

"I think you and Lady Liadrin would make a great couple."

"Hah. Probably. I think… I think the next time I meet her, I should confess my feelings towards her."

The two set foot upon the ground floor, back amongst the many doors that circled the inner column. Just beyond them lie the doors back outside, to which they proceeded with Twilight taking the lead. With a foreleg she pushed the door open, trying not to gaze directly towards the light as the sudden wave struck her eyes with blinding results. The mare gazed away while Gai'vahros placed his hand over his face.

"I never thought it would be so dark in here to allow the light to appear so bright," grumbled Gai'vahros, stepping outside into the fresh air, his eyes adjusting slowly to the luminosity.

"I know what you mean, Gai'vahros," responded Twilight in equal deterrence. "I always thought the library needed bigger windows."

A silhouette appeared in front of them just down the path, hovering a foot off the ground and quickly heading towards them. As the figure drew closer it quickly revealed the visage of a Pegasus guard in shining gold raiment. "T-Twilight! Gai'vahros!" the Pegasus heaved with as much force as his lungs could project, audibly exhausted. "I'm so glad I found the pair of you! Ponyville… Ponyville was attacked…!"

"W-what?" exclaimed Gai'vahros. Violently his grabbed hold of the idle guard's shoulders. "Who did this!? Was it…?"

"I-I'm not sure! I've only been told that they were attacked by "the dark knight". That's all I know!"

A heavy growl rumbled in the elf's throat. "God damnit!" he cried out with such frustration, shoving the guard to one side before sprinting down the path.

Twilight galloped after him, running as fast as her legs could take her. "G-Gai'vahros! Wait up!"


Cobblestones lay scattered across the pavement, dislodged from the path they were used to pave. Chunks of the grass and soil that spanned the village lay within small piles, kicked up -- or even carved out -- from the earth. A couple of the buildings were not saved from whatever catastrophe happened here, with chunks of masonry and even roofing laying scattered among the rest of the debris. Shards of glass could be seen scattered from the windows and doors that were once whole.

A few ponies lay on the ground, alive but barely mobile, struggling from the pain and injuries that they had suffered in the midst of the event. One such stallion tried to rise to his feet, pushing himself off the ground with his forelegs but his hind legs hadn't the strength to support him, buckling under even the smallest of weights, hindered by a large gash across his thigh. The wound was not like any normal cut -- the laceration was a char-black as though afflicted with necrosis.

"You will do nicely."

A soft and sinister chuckle permeated the skies, more terrifying and ominous than a banshee's wail. The thundering metallic steps of heavy boots echoed upon the stony path. The rustling of banded chains rattled like blackened iron shackles with threats of no escape. The sound of death and despair drew ever closer to the poor stallion. With whatever strength he could, he tried to push off the ground with whatever legs he could still move, trying to get away from the darkness. But, it was all just a snail's pace compared to a death knight.

"Where do you think you're going?" the death knight callously taunted. Her voice pierced the ears of whomever heard her, carrying an echo of cold bitterness like a spectre. An open hand reached out slowly in front of her deadened, pale white face. A smirk spread across her cold, blue lips as she thrust her palm forwards. From the air, pillars of ice and cold chains formed from the vapours, burying and wrapping around the frightened pony. The knight's steps stopped just inches from her victim. "I bet you know who I'm looking for… don't you? Choose your answer carefully."

The pony shivered with such visibility that he couldn't even begin to mouth the words he wanted. Whether it was from the cold of the chains or through the permeable fear in his soul, he could not speak his mind. "I-I…" he garbled. With a gulp, his voice became more clear. "I d-don't know where he is…!"

"Now that's not a good answer…" A dark tendril of shadow shot from the death knight's hand, grasping and wrapping around the throat of the stallion and dragging him off the ground, pulling him face to face with the undead warrior. "You sure you don't know where he is?"

"N-no! W-what I mean is, he's not here -- in Ponyville! H-he went out of town!"

"Oh? He took a vacation? Without sending me an invite? How rude…" Her icy-blue eyes drew upon the scowl of her face, her cheeks showing wrinkles not of age, but of lifelessness. Staying her hand, the tendril loosened, dropping the stallion hard on the ground in a heap as the shadows dissipated. "You've been a great help for what it was worth." A large axe heaved from her side to over her shoulder, displaying the visage of death along its surface and blackened runes across the blade.

"You've earned your rest."

PreviousChapters Next