• Published 6th Mar 2013
  • 6,690 Views, 392 Comments

My Little Warcraft - New Friends - Shin Guyviroth



When a blood elf is thrown from one world to another, he must contend with the increasing discomfort as he deals with talking ponies, a world ruled by animals, and an ever-growing fear of Pinkie Pie. Will he find his way back home?

  • ...
15
 392
 6,690

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 39 - An Untimely Arrival

"So, you've learned your lesson, right, shrimp?" challenged Gilda as she looked back at Gidwin.

Still ever cautious of any more skulking timberwolves or any other beasties that may be keeping close watch on them, the group made their way through the wide, dark paths of the Everfree Forest as they headed back to Ponyville. Still without feeling in his lower extremities, the still drowsy Gai'vahros relied upon both Twilight and Tarenar to lend him support lest he wanted to crawl back.

Gidwin, however, wasn't fairing much better. His gait was wider than usual, mainly to provide comfort in whatever was left of his posterior. "Aye, lass," he muttered. "And now I cannae feel me arse."

"I-I'm sorry I couldn't help," apologized Fluttershy, "but Rainbow Dash did tell me not to…"

"Well it was funny," defended Rainbow Dash with a huge smile. "And it wasn't just me, by the way! Tarenar wanted to see it, too."

"Well, it was one of those once-in-a-lifetime opportunities," replied Tarenar with a crooked smile and a shrug. "You understand, right, Giddy?"

"Ah, shut yer stupid, lipstick-wearin' face, ye daft git," exclaimed Gidwin.

Gai'vahros gave a hearty chuckle, feeling somewhat energetic for the first time since they had set off. "Well, look on the bright side, Gidwin," he joined, "at least you can still move your legs."

"With any luck, the anaesthetic will run out sooner than later," said Twilight. "In the mean time, we'll see if the hospital will lend you a wheelchair."

"That means we can have wheelchair races, right!?" bellowed Pinkie Pie as she popped her head from above Twilight. "We gonna have a competition, too?

"I… don't think they'll be too happy if we used their stuff like that, Pinkie."

"Not even for just one teensy-weensy race?"

"No."

"Awwwww…"

Though the party-going Earth Pony was disheartened at the denial of her race, she soon perked up as her face was bathed in the warmth of the light. Finally the group of them found their way out of the Everfree Forest, only a minute's walk from Fluttershy's house.

"Ah," sighed Applejack, "feels good to be back home."

"Chyeah, you could say that again," agreed Rainbow Dash. With a deep breath she took in as much air as she could. "And it smells better out here than in there."

But for Gidwin, Tarenar, and Fiona, this was all completely new to them. Slowly their eyes gazed in awe and wonder at the landscape before them, taking in the beautiful colours of the grass, the pearlescent white-blue skies as it carried thin veils of clouds on its gentle winds. They could barely even recognize the trees for what they were, having only known the deadened branches and the overgrown fungi of the Plaguelands.

"This…" uttered Tarenar. "This is --"

"-- Incredible!" finished Gidwin. As quick as he could, he waddled over to one of the trees nearby and placed his hand gently upon its bark. Any tree in the Plaguelands would have had its bark snap upon the pressure of his fingertips, but it wasn't the case here, much to Gidwin's joyful surprise. "It's… real! Hey, Tarenar! It's bloody real!"

As Tarenar rushed over to Gidwin, almost dropping Gai'vahros flat on his face had Twilight not been there to support him, the rest of the pony folk and Gilda looked on with complete confusion.

"Uh… why are they fascinated by a tree?" asked Twilight openly. "It's nothing special. Just your common alder tree."

"It's the fact that it's a tree is why they're excited," replied Fiona as she watched the two of them run their hands along its trunk and upon its leaves. "You see, the Plaguelands is just that -- an entire landscape infected with plague. Nothing grows there. No bushes, no trees, nothing."

"But surely they don't spend all their time in the Plaguelands, right?"

"Unfortunately, they do. Ever since joining the Argent Crusade two years ago, they've only ever left the Plaguelands once after Deathwing was destroyed. They recognize the Plaguelands more than they do their own homes."

"Kinda like how I recognize Ponyville as my home and not Cloudsdale," said Rainbow Dash.

"Or how Cloudsdale is my home instead of the Griffon Kingdom," added Gilda.

"… And how Ponyville became mine ever since I moved from Canterlot," uttered Twilight. "But at least our new homes are placed we actually want to live in. I can hardly imagine what you three have had to put up with in your "Plaguelands"."

"It's not too bad," replied Fiona with a smile. "It's not the place that makes a home a home; it's the people who make it a home. We've got each other, and the rest of the caravan back home, and our friends at the Argent Crusade. They're all what makes a place that is completely inhabitable a place worth living, I think."

"That's very sweet of you to say," cooed Fluttershy as she hovered next to Fiona. Without an afterthought she began to scratch behind the worgen's ear with her hoof, completely letting her motherly instincts get the better of her. "You're such a kind wolf~"

Fiona growled a little for a moment, but even her canine instincts couldn't ignore how good it felt to be petted on the head. "Mmm, that feels good~" the purred, brushing her head against Fluttershy's hoof.

But Fluttershy stopped abruptly as she gazed forwards. Despite her senses, she couldn't see anything that was immediately out of place. She stared into the distance, her eyes only glancing from side to side momentarily, as though she was in some sort of trance.

"Um… Fluttershy, darling?" spoke Rarity. "Are you feeling alright?"

"It's just… everything seems really quiet," the Pegasus replied.

"Are you sure it's not your imagination? It is getting pretty hot out here, after all. The heat is probably playing with your senses, dear."

"No, it's definitely something. None of the birdies of the squirrels are singing like they usually do. Actually… I don't see them at all…"

"… Squirrels sing, now?" pondered Gidwin.

"Different world, Giddy. Things probably work differently," replied Tarenar. "They probably have flying fish, too."

Gai'vahros remained vigilant as he gazed around, looking for anything that may be amiss or out of place. "I don't suppose someone else has turned up while we were all gone?" he wondered.

"Just how many more of you guys are gonna start popping out?" said Gilda with veiled contempt. "We gonna start expecting you guys to start falling from the skies like rain?"

"If they did, I'm not the one who's going to be cleaning them up," replied Gai'vahros with a grin. "Either way, we had better search the area for any clues."

The rest nodded, splitting up within pairs or trios. Tarenar, Gidwin, and Fiona searched around the greenery just before the bridge over to Ponyville, while Rainbow Dash and Gilda flew overhead to try and gain vantage from a bird's-eye view. Gai'vahros and Twilight made their way to the back of Fluttershy's house while Applejack and Fluttershy moved round to the front. Lastly, Rarity and Pinkie Pie made their way over the bridge to the other side to find anything on ground level that Gilda and Rainbow Dash might have missed.

"Any idea what you're looking for, Gai'vahros?" asked Twilight as she carried him a few inches off the ground.

"I've had a thought," he admitted, "but I'm not sure if it's viable at this point. When I landed I left my body print in the grass, and so did the carriage. I'm thinking that if we can find some sort of print, then that would mean that someone else landed here."

"Well, I'm not seeing any impressions in the ground or anything. Anything else?"

But before Gai'vahros replied, Applejack called out to them. "Hey, Twi! Gai!" she yelled from the front of the house. "I think we've found somethin'!"

Twilight quickly made her way round to the front of the house with the limp elf in tow. In front of the four of them stood only half a door on its one hinge, the upper half having been charred away. But beyond that there was nothing else that was damaged, save for a small ring of soot and ash in the middle of the rug inside the house.

"Jus' what in tarnation happened here?" uttered Applejack.

"Wha… What happened to my home…?" whimpered Fluttershy, her hooves held tight against her mouth. "W-where are all my…!"

Fluttershy slowly floated inside, gently touching the floor with her hooves as she settled down. As she did, a great number of tiny animals -- mice, squirrels, bunnies, and others -- quickly peered out from their hiding spots in the furniture and other places. Quickly they scurried to her as though they sought refuge with her.

"Oh! I'm so glad you're all okay!" she released with a heavy breath of relief, petting and nuzzling those she could. "What happened here?" Gently she leaned her head down to Angel, her own pet bunny rabbit, he began to squeak into her ear. "Oh…? That's weird… Oh! That's terrible! Uh-huh…"

It was a tad weird for the elf, who could only look on with a raised eyebrow. "Is she talking to a rabbit?" he uttered.

"Yeah," responded Twilight, "it's her talent. Or part of her talent, rather."

"I… see…"

"… Right… Okay. Thank you, Angel." Fluttershy turned to the other two as she spoke, "Angel says that there was another person here who looked like Gai'vahros, but wasn't Gai'vahros, and that he appeared in a small burst of purple light. All the animals got scared and hid from him. And then he blew open the door with fire."

"Blew open the door… with fire?" repeated Applejack in shock.

"More than likely a mage," said Gai'vahros. "When in doubt, Pyroblast the crap out of it."

"… so why didn't they just use a Knock spell or something?" wondered Twilight.

"… Uh… Knock spell?"

"It's a spell that opens locks."

"There's a spell that does that?"

"Are you saying that there's no spell in your world that opens locks? It's one of the easiest spells to learn!"

"Well excuse me, princess. I'll be sure to rag on our Magisters when I get back because they can't unlock stuff."

"Hey now, you two," butted in Applejack, "you forgettin' that we got a five-foot eight pyromaniac runnin' loose? We gotta find him!"

"Right, of course. Let's head back to Ponyville and see if the others have found anything on the way."


"That's so cool!" exclaimed Apple Bloom from her seat, almost jumping off it. "So what else can ya do?"

The blood elf smiled at her as he waved his hands slowly in front of his face, a visage of youth that held numerous years of sage-like wisdom and experience. His hair was of shoulder length at the back, but with two long bangs that draped past his breast. His attire consisted of incredibly fine, red, silken robes with gold filigree that spanned the entire outfit. Down the front and along the sleeves were strips of soft, violet cloth that gave the outfit an extra spruce of much needed colour.

"Well, how about--" the elf casually ran his hand into the sleeve of his robe before sharply pulling it out again, holding a small cupcake in his fingers "--this? How's that?"

The girls' eyes lit up with amazement, their mouths agape in awe.

"he really is a magician!" exclaimed Sweetie Belle. "You gotta show us how you did that!"

Scootaloo rushed to him, sticking her snout inside his sleeve. "You just had a cupcake up here already, right?" she assumed, trying her best to fit her head inside to get a deeper look.

The elf chuckled as he pulled his arm away. "No, nothing like that," he said. "It's part of my profession. I'm a mage. I work with the arcane in all manner of ways -- like so…" With a gentle wave of his hand, the air sparkled around his fingers and palms before forming the silhouette of a small ball. Within the blink of an eye, a crystal orb formed within his palm than dazzled in a multitude of colours. "You see?"

"That's so cool!" the three fillies cried in unison, their eyes wide and sparkling as they gazed into the crystal ball.

"But, uh, can I have the cupcake?" queried Spike from behind him, looming over the elf's shoulder.

"Oh, yes, of course," he replied, bringing his hand to Spike's tiny snout before the gluttonous dragon gripped it with his claws, smiling widely before scoffing it down in a single bite. "So, are you sure that your friend will be coming back shortly?"

"Well, she said they'd be back in an hour," replied Spike, trying to pass his words through the chewed mush of cake in his mouth, "and that was a while ago… so she should be back soon."

"I see. And you are all fine with me waiting here?"

"We ain't got a problem," said Apple Bloom.

"Yeah, so long as you keep doin' magic tricks," added Scootaloo with a grin.

The elf chuckled with a grin of his own. "Oh, we'll play it like that, then? Okay, how about this…" Doreiya held out his fist, with his fingers loosely wrapped around his thumb tucked inside. Sharply his flicked his thumb out, making a *shick* sound with his mouth. Quickly, he did it a second time. On the final time, as he flicked his thumb out, a small ember of flame ignited over the tip of his thumb like a lighter.

"W-woah!" they all exclaimed, the fillies arching away a little in surprise, while Spike jumped back far enough to fall off the table he was standing on.

"Y-you just set your thumb on fire!" gasped Sweetie Belle.

"Well, not just my thumb," the elf replied mysteriously. As he held his hand up, palm facing out, he slowly uncurled his other four fingers, revealing them to also have dancing flames on the ends of them. "How's that for a magic trick?"

"That's so cool!" cried Scootaloo.

The elf chuckled before blowing on his fingers, extinguishing each digit like a candle. "Some of us Magisters have a saying: "The only limit is your own imagination"." Sighing heavily, the elf took a turn of displeasure. "But, where I am from, the only thing that crosses the mind is which enemy do you burn first…"

"Yeah," agreed Apple Bloom in an equally sombre manner, "Gai's said 'bout that kinda stuff a while ago."

" "Gai"?" repeated the elf, looking up through his bangs. "You mean Gai'vahros is here? Where is he? is he upstairs?"

"Naw, he's with our friends. And, uh, how do you know him?"

"You see, I am--"

Before the elf could finish, the front door to the library crashed open as Applejack and Rainbow Dash burst in, splitting off to the sides before Gilda and rarity joined them with post haste.

"Is everypony alright in here?" exclaimed Applejack as she gazed around the room. Immediately they all turned their eyes to the crowd in front of them, as did the members of the library in return. "Hey… There is someone else who came through," said Applejack as she glared at the elf.

"Oh? There are more talking ponies," the elf cheered with a large smile as he rose to his feet slowly. "Please, I mean you no harm. I've only come here to seek out an elf named Gai'vahros."

"And here, I am." Slowly making his way through the door, only mere inches from the ground, the glowing blood knight hovered before the mage. "You… Magister Doreiya?" uttered Gai'vahros.

"It's good to see you still remember me, Lord Gai'vahros," replied Doreiya with a smile. "How long has it been? Eight years? Has your skills grown so great in such short time that you can now levitate at will?"

"Never mind that, Doreiya; how is it even possible? You were among the named deceased in the Purge of Dalaran! How… how is it that you stand before me?"

Doreiya tapped an index finger on the side of his temple a few times. "Smoke and mirrors, my friend. When we were attacked, I created a mirror image in my stead while I turned invisible. My death was faked, and Lord Aethas a forged eye-witness to "confirm" my death. In reality, I took the opportunity to escape through Dalaran's sewers on a procured dragonhawk."

"Hah! Doreiya, you magnificent bastard!" With a big smile, Gai'vahros turned to Twilight. "My Lady Twilight… please release your hold on me."

"B-but, Gai'vahros," she uttered, "are you sure? Are you getting some feeling back?"

"Enough to stand, I am sure. If you would…"

"O... Okay…"

The strong, purple glow dwindled slowly from around Gai'vahros as he descended upon the ground. Softly his toes found purchase upon the wood flooring before both feet were planted. his knees buckled ever slightly, but as the levitation dissipated fully the weight of his body became almost too much, causing his to drop to one knee.

Before anyone could react, Rainbow Dash made the first move to him. "Gai!" she exclaimed, nuzzling her head under his arm to give support. "You need to take it easy!"

"I-I'm fine, my Lady Rainbow Dash," he assured here. "It was just unexpected…" With whatever strength he could muster, he pushed himself upon his other foot as he allowed Rainbow Dash to provide support in hoisting him upright again. He looked back up to Doreiya with a sigh and a smile. "I'm glad to see you're alive, Doreiya…"

"Good to see you're still in one piece, Gai'vahros…"

The two of them couldn't hold it in any longer. Doreiya opened his arms as he walked towards his friend, and Gai'vahros in turn, although weakly. Their arms wrapped around one-another, embracing each other in a hug as though they had been separated for a lifetime.

"Awwwww, isn't that so cute?" cooed Rarity with a big smile on her muzzle. "It's like watching two great friends reunite!"

"Yeah, I think we know how that feels," added Rainbow Dash as she nudged Gilda with her elbow.

"You can say that again," agreed Gilda.

"It's almost like they're brothers," spoke Apple Bloom.

Quickly the two elves released from their embrace, feeling their hearts fill with joy and relief.

"Listen, Gai'vahros," started Doreiya, "we have to talk. It's important."

"You're not here by mistake like the rest of us?" responded Gai'vahros. "Well, we can discuss this outside. It's getting a bit too crowded in here."


Everyone gathered among the lawn in front of the Library. The six girls and Gilda stood among one group, while Fiona and her companions and the young fillies with Spike stood among themselves in separate groups. The three of them formed a triangle between them, leaving Gai'vahros and Doreiya standing with one-another.

"Gai'vahros," began Doreiya, "I am sure you are aware of what is happening in Pandaria. You know of our military effort to push into the Isle of Thunder, correct?"

"Only a passing mention, give or take," he replied. "I was told that we were to assemble the rangers, the Magisters, and the Sunreavers for departure. I was to help lead the blood knights alongside Lady Liadrin."

"I am afraid that things have changed, though perhaps not for the worse. After learning that the Silver Covenant and the forces of Dalaran are making the same move on the Isle, the Lord Regent has reduced blood knight forces to a minimum for more… anti-magic infantry."

"Anti-magic infantry? What is he planning?"

"Spell breakers."

Gai'vahros paused for a moment, his eyes narrowing. "Spell breakers? What are you talking about? We don't have anymore spell breakers! All of them were either killed during the Third War, or flocked to Kael'Thas--" he stopped. A thought crossed his mind, but one that he dared to push. It was ludicrous. But what else was there? "… Is it Cornelius?"

Doreiya smiled and nodded. "Yes, Gai'vahros. Cornelius has returned to us."

It was almost too much for the still-weary elf. First Doreiya, and now a friend that he thought was long lost. "How? When? Is he okay?"

"He's fine. After Kael'thas' death, he tried to take over the role of finding a way to end our magical addiction -- never knowing that we already have. After years of fruitless search, he returned to us some time ago. Since then, he has been working alongside us Magisters and the Lord Regent in recreating the spell breakers."

"Some time? You mean he's been with us for a long while?"

"A year or so."

Gai'vahros' eyes dropped along with his head. "Why didn't he come and see me?" he uttered. "Why didn't he say hello, pat me on the shoulder, and ask how well I've been…?"

"I'm sorry, Gai'vahros," sympathised Doreiya. "We had to keep this all secret from everyone -- even our own people. The enemy could have found ways to combat us should word of it escaped. We had to keep all of this under wraps -- even our own people."

"Yes… I understand. I guess I should be happy that Cornelius is okay. What about everyone else? What about Faeran? Helios? Irenicus?"

Doreiya shook his head. "I've not heard anything on them. I tried to keep tabs on Irenicus, but I had lost track of him some three years ago. I last tracked him to Winterspring."

"Figures. He always had a spot for cold places."

"I apologize, Gai'vahros, but I must continue. In the last few days we've experienced great magical turbulence on Azeroth -- magical storms have been cropping up all over Kalimdor, the Eastern Kingdoms, and Northrend. We've discovered that it has been affecting the magical powers of Azeroth's ley lines, thus affecting spacial travel."

"So that is why our hearthstones have sent us here."

"Correct. Hearthstones, portals, gateways -- all of these have been distorted for mere moments frequently over the last few days. It seems that those portals have connected to this world. Fortunately, we've managed to lock onto it."

"… Doreiya… You don't seriously mean that the Horde move to and from here, right?"

"No, only we are able to move. The Magisters are the only ones able to access this world. However, as for the Kirin Tor --"

"Damn the Kirin Tor! Doreiya, I don't care what you have to do, but you have to destroy any portals, any devices, and any evidence that shows that you can create a portal to this world!"

"Gai'vahros, please understand that this is only to undergo a rescue attempt for anyone who may be trapped here -- including you."

Even the others around the two of them began to display signs of concern for Gai'vahros.

"Doreiya, listen to me. If Hellscream gets a hold of this knowledge, he will no doubt bring our stupid war here, too. We don't need a recreation of Pandaria… Not here, of all places…"

The mage paused. His head swept from one side to the other, passing by the two groups of ponies that stood before him. "I know what you mean, Gai'vahros," he admitted softly. "I've only been here for an hour, give or take, and I've already fallen in love with this place. It's like Quel'Thalas all over again."

"Then if not for our sakes, do whatever you can to make sure that we can never set foot here again for their sakes. Please, Doreiya…"

"… Okay. I can't guarantee anything, but I'll do what I can. Actually, perhaps you can."

"Me? What are you saying?"

"… I should have mentioned this from the beginning. Grand Magister Rommath will be arriving here today."

"T-the Grand Magister? What for?"

"Much like Dalaran, he has volunteered to lead whatever rescue mission needs to be spearheaded here. However, he is not to come until I have returned with a report."

"So you yourself are able to move freely?"

"Yes. I have attuned myself with the ley lines here. Unfortunately, I have found to attune myself with a house full of small animals.

"Oh," intervened Fluttershy, "that would be my house…"

"I-it's your house? I-I'm really sorry, madam. I, uh, blew the door off…"

"It's okay. I'm sure you had good enough reason to…"

Applejack rolled her eyes. "Typical Fluttershy," she said, "always ever forgivin'."

Gai'vahros chuckled as he brushed his fringes from his eyes. "I'm glad you agree with this, Doreiya. I've only spent a few days here and I already feel like it's my home, you know?"

"… You'll be staying, then?"

"I've not decided yet. Doesn't feel like I've had enough time to make a decision, but I guess I'll have to soon."

"In that case, I bid you farewell for now. We shall return in due time."

"We'll meet you at Lady Fluttershy's house?"

"Hah, no need. I've attuned myself to just outside this place." With a wave of both of his arms in a circular motion in front of him, two large striped of blue, arcane energy formed a large oval. Quickly a burst of light shot from it, creating a glowing visage of Silvermoon. "In fact, we'll return in a couple of hours, so you'll know when to expect us."

"Okay. You take care of yourself, Doreiya."

"You to, Gai'vahros. And, again, sorry about the door. I'll get Rommath to pay the bill." With a gentle wave to everyone, Doreiya stepped through the portal before it slowly shrank behind him, eventually dissipating into a fount of violet dust.

"And you told us you didn't have many friends," goaded Twilight with a grin. "I never thought I'd see this kind of side to you."

"Yeah… you're right," agreed Gai'vahros with a small smile. "I guess I just forgot what it was like to have a great friend. Now that I know that two of them are still alive… I feel alive, too."

"How can ye be happy?" exclaimed Gidwin. "He jus' blew the bloody door off!"

PreviousChapters Next