• Published 6th Mar 2013
  • 6,691 Views, 392 Comments

My Little Warcraft - New Friends - Shin Guyviroth



When a blood elf is thrown from one world to another, he must contend with the increasing discomfort as he deals with talking ponies, a world ruled by animals, and an ever-growing fear of Pinkie Pie. Will he find his way back home?

  • ...
15
 392
 6,691

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 6 - Beguiled Empathy

It was a great spectacle for the Gai'vahros to behold, for when compared to his own farm Sweet Apple Acres dwarfed his to minuscule levels. His eyes widened as he approached the farmstead in all its expansive glory. His head turned from one side to the other, panning across its width although he understood that it wasn't as big as the Heartland, though perhaps that was the most impressive part of it; its size was comparable to a large farmstead housed by dozens of Pandaren, and yet one pony maintains this place on their own.

Sweet Apple Acres wasn't as lush as the fields of the Valley of Four Winds but it was still easy on the eyes. The darkened path lead to a small opening in the fence with a hedge archway above it, with a wooden sign held by chains with an apple cut out of it. It was the best indication that this farm was run by Twilight's friend, Applejack.

The farm seemed to be split into three sections. The left side was filled with barn houses and chicken coops, likely as livestock to produce eggs, milk and any other produce that would be necessary, though Gai'vahros began to wonder if the ponies here actually eat livestock; he couldn't imagine Twilight gnawing on the meat of a roasted chicken leg, appearing almost barbaric in his own mind. Though besides livestock there was also bundles of hay and straw, mainly used for bedding for the other animals and for the chicken coops.

The right side was an entire expanse of tilled soils and earth-- being the main area for crops-- although Gai'vahros' limited knowledge of farming made it difficult for him to tell what crop was what out of the ones that were still not fully grown, although he could make out the tops of carrots, corn and cabbages. It seemed to be the most attractive section for the blood elf due to his newfound liking for farming in the last few months. Besides the crops there was also two wells used to water the crops, and several barrels likely used to store the food in.

The last section sat at the opposite end; an incredibly large orchard filled with rows upon rows of apple trees. Most of the orchard sat upon low ground from the rest of the farm so it was difficult to know exactly how many trees there were, but, judging from where the elevation started and then rose again in the distance, Gai'vahros guessed it could be hundreds of yards long. The elf began to think to himself that, surely, not one person does all of the apple picking on this farm, or even half of the other things that needed doing.

Lastly, in the center of it all, there was a large house-like structure that resembled a large barn house. Magenta is its colour scheme besides the white strips of wood on its corners, doors and other joinery work. It was decorated in dark paint on parts of its four faces that looked like vines. The roofing seemed to be of very light purple slates, set upon the entirety of the top and stretching onto two gable windows on its western side. The ground floor also had an outcropping with its own door and side windows although, combined with the dark double doors on its southern side, Gai'vahros couldn't understand which one was the front door.

"Here we are, Gai'vahros," Twilight said with a smile on her face. She turned to her elven friend as her eyes shifted from him to the farm. "So, what do you think? Pretty impressive, huh?"

"You could say that again," Gai'vahros responded with a little chuckle under his breath, "I mean, it's not the biggest I've seen but it definitely is most impressive, even more so that she works here on her own, too."

"Oh, she doesn't work on her own, Gai'vahros. She has her family to help out, too." Twilight clarified Gai'vahros' misinterpretation of things before casually strolling through the archway.

"You don't mean to say that little Apple Bloom does hard labour, right?" Gai'vahros was concerned that a child or that age was put to hard labour, especially when it wasn't urgent as it was during the Amani Wars. The blood elf followed her through though he was a bit embarrassed when his ponytail brushed against the wooden sign, causing it to rattle.

"No, of course not! I mean, she helps crush the berries into juice but that's about it. What I mean is she has her brother, Big Macintosh, and the rest of her family to help out."

"Ah, I understand." Gai'vahros looked around once again, something seemingly put him off. "It seems awfully quiet for a farm. So where is your friend, if I may ask?"

"I'm... not entirely sure," Twilight said, herself scanning the area with no signs of any work activity. "Applejack said she was going to be spending most of the afternoon harvesting her crops, but there's nothing here to say so; no tools are out, the plough is in the barn house... this doesn't make--"

"Now Apple Bloom, I told ya that yer not to go anywhere outside of Ponyville without Twi or anyone else with ya!" A rather powerful, booming voice erupted from the large house just tens of meters from the duo with a very powerful accent very similar to Apple Bloom's.

"But Sis, I wasn't in any danger! Honest!" Gai'vahros recognized that as Apple Bloom's voice, seemingly distraught.

"Okay, now that makes sense." Twilight sighed as she couldn't help but keep eavesdropping on the lecture that Applejack was giving her little sister.

"Sounds as though she's giving her sister a bit of a seeing to, don't you agree, my Lady Twilight?" Gai'vahros sighed as he couldn't do anything to help, still standing beside his equine friend as he heard the back and forth of raised voices. "The poor girl..."

"I guess when you have a younger sibling, you do all that you can to protect them, even if it means having to be a bit harsh."

"I know the feeling too well..."

"Oh, you have a younger sibling, Gai'vahros?" Twilight looked back at the blood knight. She thought that she would see a smile and a look of reminiscence upon his fair face, but all she saw was a cold, dark abyss that dwelled within the depths of his eyes and expression. Cold. Dark. Empty. Gai'vahros did not respond to any word of hers; not even with a shift of his head or his body. It was like he stood still in a state of death to which not even time could traverse. Twilight could feel it all too well, like it was pouring into her own soul. But, thankfully, the tendrils of sorrow retracted in retreat as a third voice pierced the void.

"Oh, Twi! What're ya doin' here?" From the double doors of the large barn house-like structure stepped a pony of a peach colour, with long, tied platinum-blonde hair and shining, beautiful emerald green eyes. Her hair was covered by a pale brown cowboy hat to which the likes of has never been seen by Gai'vahros before. Her flank showed for a brief moment as she turned to head towards the two of them, her cutie mark displaying three red apples formed in a triangle fashion.

"Applejack, I came by to see if Apple Bloom had gotten home safely," Twilight said with a soft smile upon her lips, although it turned somewhat sour, her eyes contort in the display of regret. "although we, uh, kind of heard everything..."

"Oh! Oh... ah, sorry 'bout that," Applejack wasn't annoyed by their admitting of eavesdropping, and even felt embarrassed herself. "but y'know how it is. She shouldn't be wanderin' 'round the outside of the village by herself." Despite her words being directed towards her friend, her head and eyes would occasionally shift and jitter in the direction of Gai'vahros. By the end of her speech she had fully turned her attention to Gai'vahros, shifting her gaze from his body to his face. "So yer the hedgehog thing that Apple Bloom was talkin' 'bout?"

As her head turned towards Gai'vahros, his in turn gave attention to Applejack. His expression changed, differed slightly from what it once was only moments ago. From emptiness came compassion, and from the void grew emotion. The blood knight reared back his left leg, and dropped it down to one knee. His back arched slightly with his head hung low, bowing to Applejack, of whom was confused while Twilight looked to him in awe. "Forgive me, my Lady Applejack. It was I whom your sister was threatened by, but I don't mean her or anyone else any harm; I wish only help to get me back to my own home."

"Pfft, y'all don't need any of that fancy-smancy stuff," Applejack said with a smirk on her lips, crossing her hooves over one-another as she looked down at the obviously benevolent elf. "and I know from what Apple Bloom has said, about how a "shining golden hedgehog" needs our help. She may have a way with saying some bizarre things but I know she's honest. Well, most of the time. But, in any case, she spoke very mighty of ya!"

"Thank you, my Lady Applejack." Gai'vahros said as he reared his head up, but the first thing he saw was not Applejack's face. Rather, several meters away through the ground floor window, he spotted a young filly-- the visibly upset face of Apple Bloom. Applejack seemed to have noticed, too, as her head turned to the direction where Gai'vahros' gaze was fixated. "Please, may I speak to her?" Gai'vahros said softly.

"Well, she's supposed to be grounded, but..." Applejack looked at the elf, but she couldn't understand why he was so determined. "Oh shucks, go right ahead. Not too long though; she's supposed to be grounded, after all."

"Thank you." Gai'vahros replied to her permission, rising back to his feet before heading towards the barn house.

"Did you see it too, Applejack?" Twilight asked the peach equine, walking towards her as they both turned to watch Gai'vahros.

"Sure did," Applejack said calmly, although her head was still trying to make sense of it. "that guy seems to have strong feelings for Apple Bloom."

"When I tried to ask about his siblings, Gai'vahros just... froze. Like he kind of died inside. I guess he must miss his family more than anything else. Maybe he sees Apple Bloom like a younger sister?"

"Ya thank so, Twi?"

As the two turned to watch him, Gai'vahros proceeded inside the barn house, looking around at the large expanse of the interior. The walls were equally as dark as the outside but in a more mahogany hue, with the supporting beams and rafters made of pure lumber. The floor was made of a very dense hardwood, more than likely oak. With each step Gai'vahros made, an audible "tock" would ring though not too loud.

On the left side was a small door-shaped opening that lead into another room. This time the room was definitely more of that of a house, with what seemed to be the main living room; there was a stairway off to the right side that lead to the second floor. The room was coloured in a dull beige coat, clearly revealing the age of the structure in its lack of redecoration, while the flooring was a more softer kind of wood. A small table lay in the middle with a rocking chair that matched. The chair wasn't empty though; an old pony slept peacefully as she rocked backwards and forwards like she was being cradled. Gai'vahros gave a small smile as he slowly and carefully trudged past.

Another door stood opposite him that lead into the kitchen where the window that Gai'vahros saw Apple Bloom through was connected to. Kitchen units of beige and mahogany decorated the scenery for the blood elf, but he took notice of the yellow filly with the cherry hair sat at a wooden table next to the window. It seemed that the poor girl hasn't noticed him yet, with her head staring forwards in front of her, staring at nothing but a few cupboards, with her head resting on her forelegs that lay crossed on top of the table.

"Hello, Apple Bloom." Gai'vahros gave a soft greeting to the otherwise upset filly, to not startle her too much but also not to awaken the sleeping elderly pony in the next room. Apple Bloom's head shot up as she immediately recognized the very soft and sophisticated voice of the elf, reminding her almost of Rarity.

"Oh... Hey, Gai," Apple Bloom sounded happy at first, showing off a little smile in the presence of her elven friend, but crept back into a depressing frown as she lay her head back down on her forelegs, looking straight ahead while her eyes shifted into Gai'vahros' direction. "I'm grounded, so... I shouldn't be talkin' to ya."

"Not exactly," Gai'vahros said with a little grin, aiming to cheer up the young pony, even if a little. To an extent it succeeded; Apple Bloom's eyes were fully open as though his words caught her attention. Her head once again raising to look at the blood knight. He walked around to the other side of the table and took a seat, although the chair was like that of a child's chair made from what seemed like oak yet more sturdier, if such a thing was possible. "your sister allowed me to talk to you."

"Oh. Well, whatchya wanna talk about? Am I still grounded?" Apple Bloom was like a lost little lamb at this point, seeing Gai'vahros as her shepherd, looking to him for the answers.

"I've got no answers for that," replied Gai'vahros. Apple Bloom gave a sigh, not hearing the words that she was hoping for. "but, Apple Bloom, you must understand why she did what she did, and will do so for a long while. Do you know why?"

"I know why, Gai. It's because she's a big sister, and that's what big sisters do!" Apple Bloom seemed more agitated, but the response only made Gai'vahros shake his head, which seemed to make Apple Bloom relax a little. She was always sure that there was more to it, but never knew what.

"Your sister does what she does to protect you, to make you learn, even if the methods are harsh," Gai'vahros' words came out rather forced, pressed upon a long drawn sigh and a reluctance to speak. From out of nowhere, Gai'vahros placed his own hands upon Apple Bloom's hooves, gripping them gently as though caressing a pair of hands. "You may not understand it because you've no little sister of your own, but Applejack's biggest fear of all is losing you."

"I understand," Apple Bloom seemed to feel empathy for how her sister feels whenever Apple Bloom is in possible danger. "but how comes you know so much about it, Gai? Do you have a little sister, too?"

"..." a long pause fell upon silence for what felt like moments. Gai'vahros sat without a word with his hands upon Apple Bloom's forelegs before suddenly shrinking back towards his body. His grasp loosened while the red silk of his gloves trailed along Apple Bloom's hooves and across the table. "I did..." Gai'vahros sat up slowly, the oak chair sliding back across the laminated wood flooring with a gentle shift, but he never stopped smiling. He understood, just from talking with someone with a similar issue, that he had to be strong for them and not waste it on self pity. "I'm glad we had the time to talk, little Apple Bloom. Oh, I'll try and get Applejack to not punish you too badly." The blood elf gave a little wink before heading out through the side door.

"He "did"? I don't get it..."

PreviousChapters Next