• Published 6th Mar 2013
  • 2,229 Views, 187 Comments

Lucky's Seven: The Changeling Hunters - Lucky424



It was eight months later when the others turned up. Just what were the Seven up to during that time?

  • ...
6
 187
 2,229

The Explosive Mare part 2

“So, tell me again how you sealed the cave.” I was sat in the seat nearest the cargo door, looking across at the (crazy) mare opposite me. She closed her eyes for a moment, obviously trying to remember.

“I had some chemicals with me that I can only get in Trottingham, so I mixed them together and put a fuse in it. I then placed the compound across the roof of the entrance and lit the fuse using magic. It was a wonderful light show, and then I placed some smaller chargers in the cracks above, and made the mountain edge collapse on top.”

“What chemicals did you use?”

“I had toluene, which I soaked in sulphuric and nitric acid, then separated the waste from it. I added more acid to it and did the same again, getting rid of the waste product. For the final stage, I mixed it with nitric acid and oleum. Once it started to harden is when I placed my fuses in them.” She looked over to the lone Changeling in the cargo bay. “For what it's worth Pokey, I'm sorry. I'll help to rebuild whatever damages I caused.”

Pokey just nodded his head once, and went back to looking at the floor. He had something on his mind, and he clearly didn't want to tell us. Standing, I made my way in to the cockpit and stood next to the pilots seat. “Mai, did you catch that?”

A light show on one of the panels coalesced in to a lithe female figure. The appearance was that of an Asian woman, and dressed in oriental clothing. As the flashes dimmed, she opened her eyes and 'looked' at me. “Yes, I heard that. Although I am a little curious as to how a pony knows the procedure for creating TNT like that.” What?

“Hey Alec, we're getting close to the mountains. You want me to find somewhere to set her down?”

“Dan, why the fuck are you flying this? You're a driver!!! You know what, fuck it. Over there looks good.” I pointed to a clearing in the trees and the Pelican slowly made its way towards it. All forward motion stopped and I felt my stomach rise as we dropped. Heading back out in to the cargo bay, Simon and the others readied their weapons, and I did the same. Hitting the open button I the wall, I watched the door raise and the ramp lower, then walked out with my rifle at the ready and gave the area a quick sweep. “Clear.” The others followed out after me and I lowered my weapon. “Technia, Pokey, Lead the way.”

They nodded and trotted off to the left, not at a fast pace, but not at a slow one either.


We had been walking through the trees for about ten minutes. I don't know why, but I had the feeling we were being watched. The ground had started to rise gently, and I could see the trees thinning. “We're here.” Looking around, I immediately saw the problem. There was a heap of rubble ten metres wide and five metres high. I wasn't sure how much was there, but we had to be careful not to cause more to fall.

“Simon, break out the explosive kit. Technia, stay away from there until he says otherwise. Don't look at me like that. If I have to get three unicorns and a Changeling to hold you still, I will.” I watched as the mare slowly backed away and sit down, before realising she had sat on a strange-feeling bit of ground.

“AAAAAAHHHH! Technia suddenly shot across the area and hid behind a tree. Making my way over, I noticed a rather darkened patch of grass. Bending down I touched a finger to it, to which it came away wet.....and green. Lying a few feet away was a badly injured Changeling.

“POKEY!! COME HERE!!” There was a blur of movement as he came over and stared at the barely breathing body. He gently reach a hoof forward and slowly rolled the other on over. A look of pure horror came over his face.

"Vanishing Image? No!! You have to be all right!!” The other one cracked open his eyes at this, and looked at Pokey.

“After Image? You came? I knew you would, I never doubted you.” Pokey wrapped him in his arms, and comforted Vanishing Image as best as he could.

“It's okay, we're here to help. We'll have the city open again in no time brother.” Ah, that was the reason he was so upset. Leaving them to it, I made my way back over to Simon and looked at what he had laid out on the floor.

“Well, got anything we can use?”

“Plenty if we want to level the mountain. Opening a passageway? That could be a challenge. We'd need a shaped charge, but one made with precision. We'd place it on top and create a hole down through the rubble, then pour this in,” He motioned to a couple of sacks behind him, “and that should open up something big enough for us to get through.”

“Okay, so make the charge.” He shook his head and pointed to the shuddering unicorn mare hiding behind a tree. “Really? You want her to do it?”

“Yeah, she created this mess, and she's going to help fix it. Hey Technia, come here!” The mare lifted her head and trotted over, looking at the small yellow blocks on the grass. "I need you to shape these in to charges that will send all the force downwards, so we can make holes through the debris. Can you do it?”

“Yes.” The mare's horn lit up in a green aura, the same surrounding one of the blocks. After a few moments of inspecting the materials, it started to reshape itself. Once it stopped moving, it stayed that way, and she moved on to the next one. Simon got up and walked over to the bags, and I followed him.

“What are you going to use to open up the cracks?”

“A little mix of iron oxide and aluminium, ignited using magnesium. I think a little light show will raise her spirits.”

“Are you fucking joking? You're going to teach her how to make thermite? This will not end well.” Simon just place a hand on my shoulder, looking in to my eyes. This was a battle of wills, and he really wanted to win this time. Fortunately, it ended in a draw as a voice drew our attention.

“Done. All the blocks have been changed, and I even managed to make a few more from the waste. Do you want to put them in position?" I shook my head and pointed to her, which made her smile with glee as she jumped atop the mound, placing them at even intervals.

“Hey Simon, just how much of that stuff is there?”

“About twenty pounds. I suggest we move back a little before we set it off.”

“Yeah, and move the powders back in to the Pelican for now.” He nodded and waved the others over, each grabbing a sack and hauling over their backs. I made my way over the the two Changelings. “Pokey, we need to move him, otherwise this blast could kill him.” Before he could react, Vanishing Image was lifted up in a mixed aura of red, white, electric yellow.....and green. We watched as the four unicorns gently floated him in to the Pelican and came out....but with one less.

Curious, I made my way over to them ramp, and looked inside. Vanishing Image was gently snoring, and Technia was gently cradling him in a fore hoof, stroking his mane with the other. She looked up at me with tears in her eyes. “I caused this. Who knows how many I killed? What are they going to think when I turn back up here with more explosions?” I didn't have an answer for her, and I tried to think of something to say. A black hoof brushed my arm, and I looked down at Pokey, who just nodded his head in the direction away from the ship. Nodding once in understanding, I left them to talk it out. She'd come running outside in a few moments anyway.

Simon came up beside me and handed me a remote. “All detonators set and ready to go, sir.”

“Simon, you're admiral. I'm still only an SAC, it should be me calling you sir.”

“True, but not only have you reached the highest military rank on this world without even asking, you are also our resident expert. As such, any orders and advice you give overrule mine. Sir.”

I just smiled at him and felt our bond returning. Man, it's been a while since we had a good insult and slugging match. Maybe when we get in to New Damarescus..... “Either way, stop it. It just sounds weird, although I know what you're like.....dickbiscuit.” I turned back towards the stern of the ship. "Technia, would you like to do the honours?”

The mare slowly walked over and took the trigger in her aura. “Wait!! Alec, before she sets it off, do you remember Mythbusters?”

“Yeah, how could I not? Why?”

“Well, we weren't sure how to get in to the caves, and we still aren't. This may not work. But, when in doubt......”

“.....C4.
Technia, do it.” She squeezed the trigger and there was a bright flash and lots of dirt being thrown in to the air, before the pressure wave knocked us all on to our asses.


Author's Note:

So, their last name is Image. Lets see how good your memories are.