• Published 25th Feb 2013
  • 5,231 Views, 171 Comments

Jokers Wild - blowngasket



A vacation for a loyal member of the Equestrian Royal Court leaves the Mane 6 pondering about the odd yet enthusiastic man. Why does he always wear that mask, and what are his true intentions that it hides? (Humanized Ponies Warning)

  • ...
10
 171
 5,231

The Crazy Thing About Perry

Chapter 6: The Crazy Thing About Perry

The lunar princess was pacing back and forth inside her room. She needed to have a talk with her sister and let her know of what was going on, but Celestia insisted that they speak in private. Being made to wait, being told to talk away from prying eyes, Luna was nervous. Probably more than she has ever been. Though Celestia trusted that wretch of a man, she never really could. To her, he was a maniac hiding behind the mask of a fool. Her thoughts were quickly turned towards the door as she watched it open. Celestia walked in slowly and closed the door behind her. Waving her hand she masterfully enchanted the door. Luna watched as she repeated this with the windows and even the air vent in her room. Needless to say, this did not make her feel any better.

"Ok, Luna, we are free to talk without prying eyes and ears," Celestia told her nervous sister. Luna walked over to her sister, still clenching the letter sent to her during the night.

"Why in all that is good does it have to be him? Couldn't we have sent another for this task?" Luna asked with a bit of anger and confusion in her voice.

"I am afraid not. Things are grim right now, and he is gaining power quickly."

"Then why not let the Elements of Harmony know? Surely..."

"No!" Celestia snapped, causing Luna to flinch. Celestia sighed as she took a breath. "I am sorry Luna, it is just...a tense situation for us all. I will say that it still scares me to know that he is indeed spending time with them, though not for the same reasons you have. I do, however, trust him enough to watch over them. It's hard to believe, but I have seen that he truly can be a..."

"Celestia...don't you dare finish that sentence like we think you are..." it was Celestia's turn to be nervous as her sisters fiery gaze and stern voice. "You don't often take care of his messes, you never had to watch over his actions. He is a monster without remorse, and has killed and killed and killed! All without even caring about the target," Luna was crying at this point. "He is unlike any mortal we have ever seen throughout our lives. He...terrifies me. Had we not known he was loyal to us, to you, to Equestria, we would be incapable of being alone knowing that there, out in the world, all we would have to do is blink and then...that mask..." Celestia hugged her sister tightly, gently stroking her hair. She could feel her shake, trying to calm the trembling with her own body. Celestia had regretted posting Luna at her current position, but she knew in time that she would be able to handle it. Until then, all she could do was comfort her.

"Luna, shhhh. It is going to be alright," Celestia told her sister softly. "I can't argue any of what you are saying, and yes I know that his actions are deemed cruel by anyone's standards. He is more different than what you think, if you will be willing to listen to me. We, being him and I, have talked in private like this ourselves, and I have learned a great deal from him."

"How do you know he trusted you enough to tell the truth. It could easily be a ploy, an attempt to gain your trust. Is it really that easy?" Luna asked, calming down now, though her tone more stern than before.

"I know, because I am one of the few people in Equestria he trusts enough to show his face to..." she looked down. "He asked me to not say anything about what lies behind the mask, but everything else I feel you have the right to know," Luna was wide eyed with shock. She has never heard of him removing that cursed thing in front of others. Celestia has seen this reaction and took it as a sign to continue. "He is evil, getting that said and done. He doesn't deny it, and he doesn't think he should change, but he isn't, at the same time, a bad person," Luna looked at her sister, she was confused at that statement.

"How can you be evil, but not a bad person?" Luna asked, puzzled.

"I know...It still confuses me sometimes, but hearing it from him, it does explain quite a bit. He has never used excessive force unless provoked or he deemed it necessary. He has never once treated anyone badly that didn't deserve it. He loves children, and generally loves to make people laugh. Yet, despite his outward nature, will take out his targets without mercy, never caring for any individual as a whole. He is evil, but evil for the sake of doing what good cannot. He knows this and understands himself and his place. Try as he may, he cannot understand what it means to care. Even towards family and friends, his actions are a shallow act. He often feels bound by duty, but how he performs it is his own desire," Celestia finished her explanation on how she viewed him, hoping to give Luna more insight towards where he stood in all of this.

"He has protected me from danger on many occasions..." Celestia stated, giving Luna a more personal account of her interactions with the man. "...and each time, he could take out a would be assassin in the middle of a party and not even draw attention to the act, as well as targets on visiting foreign diplomats, where opposing groups try to start a conflict, he can stop it from ever being a thought. He does have the capacity for restraint, and will gladly use it in order to keep Equestria safe."

Luna listened in paitently, grasping what her sister was saying very carefully.

"One incident..." Celestia continued. "...we visited the Griffin Empire for diplomatic talks. He had heard word from the underworld grapevine that Prime Ambassador Gruff was going to be a target, in order to start a political coop, so he insisted on coming along. We were dining, just about to have dessert. Now this happened too fast for even me to see, so this is from here on out his retelling. He noticed an archer from outside the window, getting up slowly he proceeded to give a show for a light after dinner laugh, as he called it. As the archer fired the bow, he made it look like he tripped and fell onto the table, where in reality, he caught the arrow as it slid up his sleeve, with the only victim being the ambassador's cake. His actions that day, left the attack unnoticed and the talks that day were a success. He then excused himself, noting the archer's escape. He used the arrow to track him, and well, your clean up crew knows the rest. Though he is willing to practice restraint, he surely won't if he doesn't have to. You probably shouldn't ask the crew about the details, but they can verify the story," Luna had sat down by now trying to get a complete grasp of the situation. Her sister was right, and she knew that now.

"Celestia, we knew that he was that dedicated towards us, but still, he's..." she started. "It's still a bit overwhelming, but we understand why you do trust him a bit more now," Celestia nodded as her sister spoke. "If anyone can protect those girls without them knowing they are in danger, it can be him, right?" Celestia nodded smiled as her sister finally understood her feelings. "But what if he has to make himself known to them? To the town? We seen what he did there earlier tonight... It isn't like his usual work," Celestia looked over at her sister.

"What do you mean Luna?"

"He took care to make it quick as so Miss Fluttershy didn't have to witness it herself. showing the restraint you had spoken about. Still, it seemed that his actions were done out of anger. We could feel it from the air around and from the wounds inflicted. Even with restraint, I have never felt so much from him. What if he can't keep his emotions in check?"

"I couldn't tell you, Luna, but it might actually be a good sign," Celestia told her reassuringly. "It shows that he just might have a chance to truly understand what it means to care about others, despite my initial thoughts. I have noticed that he does treats Twilight with a good amount of respect and kindness, which I have always believed to stem from the good parts of him. The ones he doesn't even realize he has. I will have to keep watch, but as well as protecting them, I had also hoped that interacting with them would help him regain what was lost to him all those years ago," Celestia said, crossing her arms and grinning in a feeling of self satisfaction.

"You act like a child sometimes, Tia, but you are a lot more clever than I take you for," Luna said, now confident in Celestia's decision.

"I thank you for your...wait...what do you mean I act like a child. I'm a perfectly mature responsible adult!" she scoffed at Luna, making her best fake frowning face.

"You often forget to remove the thrown quills from your ceiling," Luna said slyly.

"Well... you wear to much blue!" Celestia responded, Luna laughing happily at her antics. Celestia joined in along side her for a good few minutes. Celestia started walking towards the door, quickly stopped by Luna calling for her.

"Tia, you truly trust him, right?" she asked one last time.

"If good people can do bad things for the wrong reason, I don't see why an evil man can't do the opposite." Luna nodded at this response as Celestia dispelled the enchantments with a wave of her hand and walked away. I am glad that I have gotten to him before anyone else, though. She thought to herself. Even I would be terrified if I knew he might be coming for me.

---------- ---------- ----------

Perry had not slept much that night. He spent a good deal of time deep in his own thoughts. Whenever he killed someone he always felt happy, alive. He enjoyed the look of terror, knowing that the last thing they saw was that masks grin as it dragged them into the bowels of the underworld to forever lament their sins. He knew, one day, he too would be dragged there, and he did not care. No, this was different though, he wasn't happy at all with this, he did not enjoy it. Each time he thought of the situation it made him angry. He has not killed in anger since his first. He didn't wish to dwell on the past too much, but it had almost seemed as it was trying to force itself back up. He looked outside, the sun starting to rise from the window, the start of the new day. The night team they usually dispatched to clean up his messes were usually very good at what they did. He knew they would take away body and hide the mans accomplishes in a dark dungeon to forever lament having ever crossed him.

He looked over to the peaceful woman now, sleeping against him. She was kind, gentle, and loved life. She was everything he hated, but even so he could not find himself able to hate her. There was something in her gaze, in her speech, that made him do what he did yesterday. The long night picking at his mind, he just couldn't grasp the thought of a joyless kill. Even now, playing the evening through his head, he did not believe he would have done it differently. As he sat here she started to stir slightly, and began opening her eyes. She looked around, a combination of a drowsy stare and confusion at her location. He watched as she made an attempt to fluff him like a pillow, not realizing that he was still there with her. She looked up at him slowly now, her eyes getting wider and a deep blush forming. She quickly pushed herself off of him.

"Oh...my I'm sorry really... I umm...what....here..." he watched as she could not make a coherent sentence to her. He chuckled quietly as she sat there, trying to figure out what exactly to say. She finally remembered why he was there, calming down enough to start speaking again. "Thank you, Perry."

"No need, Fluttershy. I only did what any decent person would do for another," he softly told her as he stretched himself out.

"No...You were there for me, even though you didn't have to be..." she told him looking into his eyes. "You're a hero..." that comment almost pierced Perry like a knife. Remaining silent, he stared at her, trying to keep himself from snapping at her for her innocent remark. "Thank-" she started to speak again, but he got up and walked to the door. She watched curiously as he opened it and started to leave. Before he did, he turned around and spoke quietly. The words he had said before he left could only linger in her mind, leaving her in a daze. A small bunny started to hop towards her, obviously the one from the night before, nose and eyes cleared up. It hopped on the couch and pointed to the kitchen, but stopped as he started to stare into her eyes. They were lost in emotions and thought, oblivious to the small creatures actions. She didn't know what she did wrong, and felt as if everything was crashing down on her.

Don't ever think you know me well enough to call me that.