• Published 25th Feb 2013
  • 5,185 Views, 171 Comments

Jokers Wild - blowngasket



A vacation for a loyal member of the Equestrian Royal Court leaves the Mane 6 pondering about the odd yet enthusiastic man. Why does he always wear that mask, and what are his true intentions that it hides? (Humanized Ponies Warning)

  • ...
10
 171
 5,185

The Crazy Thing About Parties

Chapter 2: The Crazy Thing About Parties

Twilight's day could have been completely normal today. She could have spent the good part of the day in the library, straightening up the shelves with Spike, getting picky about the setup, undoing all of their hard work, and redoing it. Finally, she would settle down with a relaxing outing with her friends. That was supposed to be the plan, minus the re-rearranging. When all is said and done, she would have most likely done so anyway. Instead, as she was about to start the day, a nice looking roll of parchment popped into existence. The parchmentl was a letter bearing Celestia's royal seal. She quickly dropped what she was doing, quite literally, as a few books hit the desk with a thud, nearly spilling the contents of the cup next to them. Taking a seat at her desk, she quickly undid the seal and started to open the scroll.

"I wonder what she needs from me this early on in the day?" taking a sip of the black liquid from inside the cup, the dark haired girl began to ponder. "I hope everything is alright. What if something happened! Oh no! What will I do!?" Twilight began to panic at the many different cataclysmic scenarios playing in her head. They ranged from rampant space rocks to ancient super monsters arising from their millennial slumber to wreak havoc on the entire population of Equestria.

"Just open the letter, Twi, and seriously stop drinking coffee in the morning. It makes you all paranoid," the voice came from a green haired boy walking out of the kitchen.

He wore a frilly apron, underneath it a purple jacket and matching pants. In each hand were two plates of scrambled eggs. He set one plate down in front of Twilight, placing his on his lap as he sat down on a couch. She stared at the partially opened scroll, and then stared at the cup of coffee in front of her. She nodded and pushed the black liquid away from her.

"You're right, Spike. It can't be that bad. Probably just wanting to ask me a question, or let me know how everything is going," she sighed with relief as she opened the letter and started to read. Her eyes started to go wide as she continued through the letter.

"Eerying awigh?" Spike asked with a mouth full of toast.

"No! Everything isn't all right! It's anything but alright! It could be one of the least alright things!" she started to panic and began to pace in circles, deep in thought.

She carried this on for a minute until finally running upstairs to change out of her star covered PJ's. Spike got up and looked over the letter himself to see what the big deal was, still skeptical about it being that bad.

Dear Twilight Sparkle,

I would first like to take note in letting you know that nothing apocalyptical is occurring, so you can stop worrying. Secondly, I have a favor to ask of you and most possibly your friends as well. I will try to keep it short, as you are probably busy.

An important member of our castle staff is going down to Ponyville for his vacation, though he does not find the premise of relaxation promising. I would like you to try and help him get adjusted into life in ponyville and show him around. He will be arriving on the afternoon train from Canterlot, and I hope for you and your friends to be there to greet him. Don't worry, though. You will most likely be able to spot him as he is quite hard to miss. Just look for the oddest person there and you'll have found him. Just be warned though, he will leave if he is not satisfied. I am counting on you for this. I trust you can do this task, so good luck and try your best.

Sincerely

Princess Celestia

Spike looked over the letter again and again, trying to figure out what could possibly be so bad about this. With the kind of company Twilight keeps, it surely would not be difficult. Looking at the clock it was a quarter after ten, leaving a good three hours before this mans arrival if Spike had the train schedule correct. Spike's thought process was quickly interrupted by Twilight quickly running down the stairs, wearing her usual knee length purple skirt and white dress shirt. Her hair had been straightened down from her previous bedhead state, accentuating the pink and lavender highlights within the dark blue. She quickly gathered her belongings and made her way to the door.

"Spike, what will I do? I don't have enough time to get all my friends and set up a welcoming! He'll be here soon. Oh what if he's all snobby and doesn't want to do anything?! What if he tells the princess that I was a horrible greeter?!" she started to babble out quickly.

"Seriously...no more coffee. I'm sure you'll do fine, but I'll help you in anyway I can," Twilight began to nod, but was interrupted by Spike's hand raising up to silence her. "as long as you promise me a day off tomorrow," he smiled a most sincere smile one could muster with large pointy teeth.

Twilight didn't have time to argue, so she nodded reluctantly. Spike's raised hand turned into a fist, pumping the air in celebration. "Thanks, Spike. Just go tell Pinkie to get a party ready as fast as she can...and no surprise parties! You remember the last one we planned out didn't go so well," Spike nodded, shuddering at the simple mental thought of that party. He was still unsure if that elderly couple have decided to come out of the house. "I have to get the others together, so when you two are ready meet us at the station."

"Sure thing, Twi. It will be perfect!" Spike replied. Twilight ran out the door quickly now Spike following after he put her eggs in the ice box. He tossed off his apron and walked out, happily making his way down to Sugercube Corner.

---------- ---------- ----------

The train ride was nice, if not a little boring for Perry. He sat quietly, sulking by a window. He didn't like to be bored. It was boring. Looking around the train, he watched others quietly talking to friends or family, acting completely civil towards each other. He officially declared in his head that trains were boring in general, and would have to make an effort to avoid them in the near future.

The time continued to march on with each passing minute, as well as a new sitting position to try to remain comfortable. Needless to say, the nice lady giving out drinks was more than confused when she approached to ask him if he wanted a drink and found herself at eye level with his boots. She followed the feet downwards to stare at their owner, who casually leaned back, arms tucked behind his head.

"Excuse me sir, ummm is everything alright?" she asked him, looking down at his overly happy mask, slightly nervous of its creepy stare looking her in the face.

"I am fine, miss. I am merely trying to find new ways to sit on a train, and so far this is by far the most comfortable. I must admit, though, that I am displeased with the amount of chewing gum stuck under the seats. You really should have the man responsible for cleaning that reprimanded. This is supposed to be a high class transportation cart. Oh, and can you leave me a cup of water on my foot? I'll get to it later," he replied to the woman.

She simply nodded and smiled, meekly placing a cup on his heel and walking away quickly as to not disturb the slightly disturbed man any further. He spent the rest of the train ride counting wads of gum.

---------- ---------- ----------

Spike entered the bakery, looking around for the intended acquaintance. The busy hours for the morning passed, so she should have no problem helping out. Still, Spike loved just standing there, smelling the aroma from the kitchen every time he entered this place. Sugarcube Corner was the best, if not only, bakery here in Ponyville. Unfortunately, time was limited and he had to acquire the help of possibly the best party planner in Ponyville, maybe even Equestria.

"Pinkie, are you here?" he asked, looking around. A pink haired head popped itself out of the kitchen, her face smiling at the arrival of company.

"Spike!" she yelled out quickly, taking off her apron and heading towards him in almost a bouncing stride. Her outfit was incredibly bright. A pink frilly dress, decorated with streamer and balloon designs, making her noticeable from almost ten miles away. "It's so nice to see you, Spike. I needed someone to give these new cakes a try! I don't think I have it right like it's missing something but I can't seem to figure out what it is but I'm sure you could tell me. I mean Mr. and Mrs. Cake keeps telling me it's perfect and I want to believe them but I need a second opinion so please?" she spoke very quickly, not realizing that Spike was already sold at free cake.

"Sure, Pinkie. If it will help then it will be my honor!" he said as he walked into the kitchen. The cake stood there on the table in its full chocolate glory, decorated with miniature cookies on the sides and little chocolate candies sprinkled on top. His eyes widened at the look of this chocolate behemoth. "Oh wow! This will be great for the party!" Spike said joyfully. As he spoke, he finally remembered the reason for his visit.

"Party? Party?! Who's having a party cause I pretty sure that all party noted events are caught up on, unless I'm missing someone! Oh my gosh!" Pinkie spoke quickly, pulling out a calendar from her dress. She started to flip through it, checking the date to make sure she didn't forget someone. Spike was about to ask how she managed to store that thing in there, but he had more important topics to discuss.

"Pinkie, we have a guest coming from Canterlot and we are supposed to get a party ready for him. Oh I can't believe I almost forgot why I was here," he looked over at the clock, its hands reading a quarter after eleven. "Ok we have two hours to get an awesome party together and then meet Twilight and the others at the train station. This task will be difficult one, Agent Pinkie. Do you accept?"

"This will be the best last minute party ever, Agent Spike. Now let's get to work, we got decorating and people to gather!" she yelled out and immediately started running around gathering the necessary materials. She managed to get them in place in a record time that would make Rainbow Dash jealous.

"Say, Spike, should we make this one a surprise party?" Pinkie asked the younger boy as he began working on the seating arrangement.

"Sure. Whatever you think would be good," Spike responded, to busy to really pay attention to the question. He was more concerned about setting up chairs and tables to focus on trivial matters.

"Great! It will be even better than the last one!"