• Published 25th Feb 2013
  • 5,219 Views, 171 Comments

Jokers Wild - blowngasket



A vacation for a loyal member of the Equestrian Royal Court leaves the Mane 6 pondering about the odd yet enthusiastic man. Why does he always wear that mask, and what are his true intentions that it hides? (Humanized Ponies Warning)

  • ...
10
 171
 5,219

Birth of a True Monster

Chapter 20: Birth of a True Monster

Perry and Sombra's eyes were locked against each other. The dark king stared down the mad clown, having officially declared each other enemies. Perry wanted to go all out, but he still needed to consider the unconscious Fluttershy's safety. Sombra knew this, and would try to use it to his advantage. On the other hand, he had to hold back as well, due to maintaining his magical field. Maintaining such magic at the very least would prevent him from being able to cast other spells. Perry could take advantage of this to attempt to overpower him in physical combat.

Perry made the first move, charging Sombra, keeping up a more defensive approach. Sombra was faster than he gave the appearance of, and had a mean kick. Perry had to play smart if he was to take him down. Throwing a series of punches, Sombra effortlessly blocked them.

Finding an opening in Perry's assault, he started to throw his own punches, forcing Perry on the defensive as he could only block now. Sombra's speed and strength was absurd, especially for someone who until today had no actual body. Perry could only prevent himself from getting decked by Sombra, taking a small opening to back off from the assault. His breathing was heavy as Sombra now charged on the offensive. Perry dodged the charge, but saw he was headed for Fluttershy.

"Gravity Well!" Perry focused the mana around him into a small black orb within his hand. Sombra grunted as he was being pulled back towards the orbs pull. Perry ran towards him, dispelling the well and throwing a kick at the disorientated Sombra. The kick knocked him into the ground several feet to the left. Perry, now grinning under his mask, had the advantage. Even Sombra couldn't handle his spells as he was. Perry walked towards the downed Sombra and started to chant. "Hold down that which soars. Bind down to the land in which we walk. Give way to all that resides, granting a swift entrance. Hide away the light, and pull darkness in, where angels dare not fly..." Perry charged up his spell, getting ready to deliver the finisher to Sombra. "Gra.."

"Crystal Spear!" Sombra pointed at Perry, a black light hitting him and getting smaller quickly as if it was focusing. From it, a large dark spear made of crystal impaled him through the left shoulder. Perry stood there in shock, trying to process what happened, as his blood started to spill on the ground. As the pain finally reached him, he cringed and cried out, falling to his knees. He tried to pull the spear out, but the crystal barbs of the object made it impossible without tearing his shoulder to shreds.

"DAMN IT!" Perry cried out. Sombra got up and chuckled.

"Aww, I missed. I was going for your heart, but still, that does the trick, I guess," Sombra taunted the downed Perry, still clenching his arm. Sombra moved his heavy armor down somewhat, revealing the Alicorn's Amulet sitting on his neck. "Beautiful charm. It gives you power, but makes you evil. I wonder if I could even be any more evil. Either way, I am capable of using magic easily while keeping the field growing strong."

"Wh...What...did you...do ...to Zecora..." Perry asked, breathing heavily.

"She tried like you, struggled against the power of my spell, but her efforts were for naught. She will remain in her crystal prison for all of eternity. Maybe I will use her for a garden sculpture," Sombra laughed, making Perry shake with anger.

Perry gripped the crystal, and with all of his strength he could manage, cracked the crystal apart and quickly removed the spear, screaming in pain the entire time. Taking a deep breath, his eyes focused on Sombra again, a new fire started in his eyes. "I have yet to start to fight!" Perry said, even as blood dripped down his now useless arm.

---------- ---------- ----------

Three men stood in the middle of Ponyville, watching as the chaos unfolded in front of them. Shining Armor, Reader, and Catacomb had arrived, hopefully not to late. "Guys, I need to go make sure my sister is alright. Reader, can you give me a lock on?"

"The Elements of Harmony are being assembled at a large tree in the center of town, most definitely a tree house of sorts..." Reader said to Shining. "...one more element though is near the masked one, and a powerful force...I am trying but I cannot enter the mind of the evil being," Reader looked up in surprise. "Sir, Perry has just been wounded. We need to send assistance!"

"On it!" Catacomb jumped and ran towards the town.

"I'll head to my sister. Reader, stay here and maintain a link with us. If we need you...well I am sure you will know," Shining said before running off. Reader sat down in a meditative position and opened the link between his fellow teammates. He tried to on Perry as well, but the evil energy prevented him from even being able to enter his mind.

'Young changeling, be prepared to lose your link apon reaching them,' Reader spoke directly into Catacombs mind.

'Damn, give me warning next time. Cool with me. By the way, I forgot to ask, but where the hell am I going?' Catacomb asked.

'Currently, you are going in the wrong direction entirely. I will guide you from there. Take a right turn.' Catacomb did as instructed. 'Good. Left...Right...Left at the fork...Now make haste down your current path until you reach a small cottage.'

'Thanks, couldn't have done it without you,' Catacomb said. Reader kept this thought to himself, but even the voice in his companions head was annoying. This was going to be a long and trying day for the mind mage.

---------- ---------- ----------

Shining Armor didn't need directions, thankfully. He could remember the layout of Ponyville by the maps he had seen prior, and the place he is looking for is a tree with windows, which is arguably hard to miss. Making his was quickly through the crowd of panicking townsfolk, he came across the library with little trouble. Opening the door, he came to realize that this was not going to be as easy as expected. His sister was sitting at her desk writing a mile a minute, her workspace covered in massive amounts of parchment. She was crying, constantly saying 'I'm sorry' over and over again. Rarity, if he remembered correctly, was sobbing on the couch, yelling at herself for being ugly, and saying that no one liked her designs anymore. Rainbow was simply huddled in a corner, sobbing but more silently than the other two. Shining wondered where everyone else was, and started to quickly look around the house. The kitchen held the distraught Applejack, sitting at the kitchen table, just sitting there almost with an eerie quiet. She just stared into a picture of her family, the photo stained with tears. That leaves one more, as Shining Armor heard Spike yelling from upstairs. He quickly ran up to make sure he was ok. Entering a bedroom, he found Spike trying to talk to Pinkie Pie, as she was talking to a mass of inanimate objects. This was an odd scene to say the least, Pinkie's hair was straight, which was a change from her usual cottony appearance. Spike stood there trying to talk her out.

"Spike!" Shining said to him. Spike turned around and smiled widely when he seen his adopted older brother there.

"Shiny, is that you?" Spike asked. He nodded and set the box down, opening it up.

"We don't have time to talk, unfortunately. Get these on the others and have them meet me at Fluttershy's cottage," Shining said, revealing the Elements of Harmony. "These should act as wards for the spell. Tell them to be careful, Spike. It might be dangerous, and they might not like what they see."

"Shiny, what's going on? Why is this happening...I tried so hard to help them, but all I could do was get them here...they are all so..." Shining Armor walked up to Spike, the poor kid almost breaking into tears himself, and gave him a hug.

"Spike...It is alright. You have done an excellent job. Just do this task and get some rest. You deserve it," Shining Armor smiled to Spike, which helped him smile as well.

"Thank you, bro. I can handle this. You hurry and help Perry," Spike gave Shining The Element of Kindness. "He should have Fluttershy with him. Take this for her, I got the rest of them," Shining looked at the necklace with a simple butterfly engraved into its golden surface.

"Don't worry, Spike. Everything will work out. You just have to be strong. I have to go now so take care. I will see you when this mess is straightened out," Spike nodded to Shining Armor, and watched him quickly run out of the Library.

He gathered up all the Elements and started with the closest on to him. Taking a necklace with a balloon engraved in it, he attached it to Pinkie. The design started to glow, surrounding Pinkie in a bright light, her hair starting to go back to normal.

"Pinkie?" Spike asked slowly, hoping that the spell was no longer working on her.

"Oh wow...I feel like I ate too many cupcakes...wait a second! There is no such thing as too many cupcakes!" she said happily to herself. Spike, overwhelmed with emotion now, ran up and hugged Pinkie happily.

"I am so glad it worked. Okay, Pinkie. We need to get the rest of these on our friends, or else they will not be happy again," Spike said. Pinkie's face could be seen as one of pure terror at the thought of never being happy again. It was a scary concept that made her serious for this moment.

"Ok, Spiky. Let's...Get...Joyful!" she said dramatically. She picked up the box and ran out of the bedroom and in almost a scary speed, attached the Elements to whom they properly belonged. Everyone started to glow like she did, their respective elements shining with a bright light. They all started to groan, as if waking from a slumber. Twilight was the first to speak.

"Wh...What happened?" she asked the group as they all slowly assembled in the main room. "And why is everyone here?" Spike ran down the stairs and dive tacked Twilight into a hug.

"Twilight!" he cried out happily. "I thought that I would never get you back again."

"Seriously, what happened?" she asked again. Spike's eyes widened as he remembered what he had to tell them.

"That's right! You're wearing the Elements right now, evil spell, Shining Armor, Fluttershy's cottage, Perry needs help!" he quickly spit out.

"What in tarnation's are ya talking about Spike?" Applejack asked. Everyone else stared at him curiously. Spike retold the events of the day, and how he ended up finding everyone. They all looked upset as he continued the tale of the town. Finally he got to Perry, who had made is way to Fluttershy's and now everyone is to gather there.

"Come on!" Rainbow said as she headed to the door. "We don't have time to spare! If Perry and Flutter's in trouble, standing around here will do nothing!"

"Easy there, Rainbow. We don't know what kind of brute we are dealing with," Rarity said to her overeager friend. Rainbow started to frown, but nodded.

"We should go together, It will be safer that way in case we get attacked," Twilight said. "Let's go, girls!" she yelled with her hand raised triumphantly in the air.

---------- ---------- ----------

Perry stood there strong, even with his bloodied arm. He wasn't about to lay down and die here. Sombra, on the other hand was still cocky and assured of his victory. It was hard for Perry to disagree with him, as he did have the power to do so, but Perry was never about losing. The wound would only make the kill so much sweeter. Sombra made his move, waving his hand and attempting to shower Perry in a rain of crystal shards. Moving quickly, Perry managed to avoid them.

"Your futility is admirable, if not pathetic," Sombra said with a chuckle. "You won't last long against me."

"Nah, I think I am going to kill you. It will be hard, but that just makes it that much more fun!" Perry laughed. Sombra prepared another shard attack, but Perry quickly countered with his gravity well. Stepping back from it, he let the shards orbit once before releasing the well, sending them flying right back at Sombra. He quickly form a crystal shield in front of him to block the attack, and then a sword in his other hand.

"You're still full of tricks, I see. It is quite fun to see a cornered rat fight so hard to survive," Sombra said. He quickly made his charge at Perry, swinging his sword. Perry rolled out of the way. Gravity well, was useful and quick, but it was also very draining for him. Augment would be useful here, but between the shards and the sword, he had no time to chant. If this kept up, Sombra would eventually get a hit in, and that will be the end. Perry, not watching his surroundings, tripped over a small rock in the ground, sending him to the ground. Sombra, taking the opportunity, quickly went in for the finish. As the sword was about to connect to Perry's head, it was suddenly sent flying out of Sombra's hand and into a nearby tree. Sombra' stunned by this, was then sent flying back himself...by another Perry.

"Really, you're going to die on me here?" the second Perry said. "You still owe me a hundred bits," he offered his hand to himself and helped him up.

"Well, long time no see, Cata," he looked over at Sombra and then back at Catacomb, who now took his favored shape. "Well, shit must be really bad If they have more than one of us here."

"All of us, actually," Catacomb smiled. Perry laughed, even though that meant that this was a whole lot worse than anyone could have predicted.

"Wow, this might be worse than that demon attack," Perry said, still keeping an eye on Sombra.

"Entire fate of Equestria, Dark Tyrant, yadda yadda yadda. You catch my drift?" Catacomb said, also keeping an eye on the target. Sombra smiled, looking over the two.

"Well this is a surprise. Someone else who isn't effected," Sombra said to Catacomb.

"Yup. Sorry to burst yer bubble there, but your magic kinda sucks," he grinned. Sombra smiled at the duo.

"Killing one was easy enough so far, so two should be no issue," Sombra said.

"Well, Perry, what do you say? Two to tango?" Catacomb asked, taking Perry's form yet again, even mimicking the open wound and bloodied shirt.

"I thought you would never ask. You're so sweet," Perry smiled. They both charged at Sombra, Catacomb moving exactly the same as Perry. Sombra quickly called back his sword, and swung it, sending another wave of crystals at the two. They both quickly moved to the sides, flanking Sombra as they ran in for an attack. Sombra was now caught on the defensive. As he swung at one Perry, the other one could easily take the opening and strike him. He barely managed to block the hit with his shield, giving the opposite the opening. They moved almost perfectly together, as if this was rehearsed hundreds of times. Catacomb was apparently just as skilled in physical combat as Perry. Sombra wasn't able to hold them down and eventually both of them were landing in hits, constantly knocking Sombra between them back and forth. In a quick movement, however, Sombra quickly casted a spell, crystal spikes shooting out of the ground. Both Perry and Catacomb were forced to jump back from the attack to avoid becoming pin cushions.

"Damn it, almost had him," Catacomb said to Perry. Sombra looked rightfully pissed off now.

"Never have I been so humiliated by simple mortals!" he yelled out to the two.

"Umm pardon me, but weren't you defeated by a small boy and a weakened princess?" Perry said, laughing at Sombra. This infuriated Sombra to no end. He quickly charged one Perry with a burst of speed not seen before, and almost managed to strike him down. The blade was stopped yet again, this time by a force field. Sombra quickly glared up to see someone else he wished to forget. Shining Armor stood there walking towards Sombra with his own sword out.

"Well, talk about surprised," Shining Armor said to Sombra. "I thought we got rid of you awhile ago," Sombra looked at the group, backing away slightly.

"Well, I guess it is safe to say you think you have me now...You know nothing!"Sombra yelled out, showering the entire battlefield in a rain of crystals. Shining was easily able to deflect them with his barrier spell.

"Alright everyone, let's end this so I can go home and enjoy myself," Shining Armor said.

"Hey, Perry? Think you can introduce me to a few babelicious girls here once this is done?" Catacomb asked, changing back to his original form, standing where he was without a care in the world.

'Do not forget thy ally in the backgrounds.' A voice appeared in all of their heads. ' It took much effort, but I was successful in penetrating the impermeable shroud that surrounded thy battle-scarred field.'

"Well it seems that the whole gang is together," Perry said. "I hope you don't mind, but I owe this asshole one heck of a bloody death, preferably painful."

"Normally I would object," Shining Armor stated "But the more quickly we get this done the better," he tossed Perry the necklace he had kept on him. "You go take care of her. We can handle this," Perry looked at the necklace for a second, before nodding. He quickly ran off the battlefield towards Fluttershy. Sombra attempted to throw another spear at his back, but Shining was too quick with the defensive spells, and the attack bounced off the barrier harmlessly.

"Alright Reader, sync our minds together, and be prepared to feed real time strategies," Shining Armor said to his distant friend.

'Preparing...minds in tune...now!' Each of them felt their perceptions of the field increase, almost interloping with everyone else's views. They were also capable of hearing each others thoughts, giving them the capability to plan out their attacks without Sombra being able to hear them. This was a dangerous and difficult technique, but each of them had trained for many hours to be able to use it to the best of their abilities, and the strict mental discipline of the friend holding the connection made it that much easier.

Perry focused on his task at hand, placing the necklace around the unconscious Fluttershy. She started to glow, her engraved symbol shining as she started to awaken. She took a second before starting to cry and hugging Perry tightly.

"I-I thought you were dead! You were gone, and no one else cared!" she cried and clung to him. He winced slightly, not wanting to bother her with the fact that she was squeezing his injured shoulder.

'Damn, man. You got yourself a fine looking lady right there,' Catacomb said, Perry almost forgetting his thoughts were not private at the moment. 'No no, keep on going. This is like gravy to me.'

'Catacomb, if you even think of feeding off my love, I will beat you so hard your swarm will never recognize you,' Perry responded. He looked back down at Fluttershy, who was still crying into his shirt. "It is going to be alright. I am fine. Flutters. I am more happy to see that you are ok," he hugged her back.

The rest of the girls finally made it, absolutely shocked at what they had seen. The sight of Sombra, pissed off and ready to kill, was enough to bother anyone, but the fact that he was wearing the Alicorn's Amulet, which glowed with a dark energy, made his appearance that much more threatening. Still, they banded around Perry and Fluttershy, Rainbow being the first to notice the blood on Perry

"Oh my gosh! What happened to you?!" she yelled, causing Fluttershy to take a closer look. She almost screamed at the sight of all the blood, noticing the blood on her sleeve as well.

"Don't worry about me. It didn't hit anything vital," Perry stopped talking for a second, getting a missive from Shining. "Twilight, your brother says to hit the Magic field up above with a blast from the elements. It should stop the Nightmare spell."

"Got it!" she said not wasting any time. Fluttershy was reluctant to leave Perry's side, but did so in order to help the group. Sombra was still struggling against the other two, the fight having recommenced. Perry got up and went to help his allies, leaving the task of removing the barrier to the Elements of Harmony. Standing in a circle, the necklaces and Twilight's tiara started to glow brightly. The energy between all of them radiated and grew, cycling between them all, and finally all into Twilight. She sent the combined energy high up into the sky, causing the dark clouds gathered to part, and finally hitting the intended target. Sombra yelled out a dramatic 'NO' as he no longer was absorbing the fear of the town. The members of T.E.S.T. surrounded the evil king, staring down at him victoriously.

"This...this was all so perfect," Sombra said, as the group prepared to strike him down.

"It is over, Sombra. You are done," Perry said to him.

"No...No... NO NO NO!" a surge of dark energy flooded the area sending the three flying backwards onto the ground. The girls all watched as Sombra stood up. "I have absorbed enough fear to be able to take you all down! The fact I don't have to hold that field anymore will be your downfall!" he got up and covered himself in crystal spikes, before sending them out everywhere on the field. They were shot out too quickly for Shining to contain. They only managed to slightly cut up the members of T.E.S.T., but as for everyone else...

Perry heard a scream from the group of girls. Turning his gaze, he looked on in total terror as Rainbow held onto Fluttershy. A small rogue crystal shard was sticking out of her chest, covered in blood. The whole area went silent, everyone staring over at her. Twilight was doing her best to stop the bleeding, but she was crying as well, hardly able to concentrate.

Everything seemed to stop for Perry, his fear that he never knew he had made it's way to the surface, and violently.

"FLUTTERSHY!"