• Published 25th Feb 2013
  • 5,219 Views, 171 Comments

Jokers Wild - blowngasket



A vacation for a loyal member of the Equestrian Royal Court leaves the Mane 6 pondering about the odd yet enthusiastic man. Why does he always wear that mask, and what are his true intentions that it hides? (Humanized Ponies Warning)

  • ...
10
 171
 5,219

The Crazy Thing About Kindness

Chapter 8: The Crazy Thing About Kindness

"Listen, Fluttershy, I insist."

"Oh no... I couldn't let you do it."

"Please, Fluttershy? It would mean so much to me."

"I guess... if it's you..."

"Thank you! You won't regret it. Especially since I almost burnt down your kitchen."

Inside Sugarcube Corner, Fluttershy and Perry met up with Rainbow Dash for a nice snack. Perry having won the battle of who would pay, they sat down with the rainbow haired girl, each with an oversized cupcake.

"I am glad that you're better, Flutters. You had me worried when you didn't answer the door," Rainbow took a bite of her cupcake after she spoke.

"I am sorry I worried you," Fluttershy said to Rainbow. Perry shoved his cupcake into his mouth, moving his mask out of the way only slightly, taking advantage of their conversation. Being a bit bigger than normal, he had some difficulty, but not enough to cause him problems.

"It's cool. Dumbbell here told me that you had some problems last night," Fluttershy nodded slightly to answer her friends question. "So, what happened?" Rainbow asked Fluttershy, causing her to look down towards her uneaten cupcake. "Hey listen. It's alright if you don't want to tell me now."

"No...it's fine. I am better today," Fluttershy, after taking a few deep breaths to calm herself as she went through what happened the night before, gave her best retelling of what occurred. Rainbow's face went from concern, to anger, to relief as she got to the end of last night. After the story, she turned to Perry and looked him over for a second. He tilted his head slightly in confusion.

"So...you not only saved Fluttershy here, but you single handedly kicked those jerks to the curb..." Rainbow said with a hint of skepticism in her voice. Perry nodded plainly, not really willing to go into detail on what happened. "Fine then. Let's see if you can handle me," she said with a cocky attitude and a grin on her face.

"Nope," he bluntly responded. "Pinkie, can I get another cupcake?"

"No way, pal. Not until I see for myself if you're really that tough," Rainbow said as she got up. "You manage to take me down, the chows on me," she said confidently. It wasn't that she wanted to fight, but Perry was just tired from lack of sleep, and fairly cranky.

"Rainbow, please don't," Fluttershy asked quietly as she looked on in concern.

"Don't worry, Fluttershy. I don't want to anyways," Perry said as Pinkie walked over with another cupcake. She looked at the two and smiled.

"Rainbow here is a black belt at karate. She is really good," Pinkie said quickly. "She is all BAM POW and KERSPLAT!!!" she yelled out the sound effects, doing punches and kicks as she did.

"I don't mean to brag, but yeah. I am pretty awesome," Rainbow said, still giving out a cocky smile. "So, Perry, don't be a chicken. Let me see what you got. It will be fun. Come on!" Fluttershy watched with concern as Perry got up, second cupcake already gone.

"Perry, you don't have to do this," Fluttershy said nervously. Perry took out the bits and set them on the table.

"I'm not. I have to go to the bathroom," he chuckled as he looked at the concerned girl. The obvious attempts to ignore Rainbow now were no doubt getting her riled up. In her frustration, she threw a quick left jab at the back of Perry's head. In an instant, he was down on the ground and just laying there. Fluttershy got up quickly and went over to him.

"Rainbow, that wasn't fair! He didn't see it coming," she said, helping Perry up.

"No, she got me fair and square. I admit defeat," he said as he walked to the bathroom, dusting himself off.

"Rainbow no need to be... Rainbow?" Fluttershy's voice went from being upset to concerned as Rainbow stood there, her arms shaking. "Are you ok, Rainbow?"

"... I'm fine, Flutters. I'll see you later. Tell Perry I said sorry when he gets out," Rainbow made a quick exit as Pinkie and Fluttershy watched her leave.

"She is probably upset that she did that, Fluttershy. Don't worry, though! Perry doesn't seem upset, so it should be alright!" Pinkie said reassuringly. Rainbow was easily prone to making rash decisions, as anyone would agree. Even Fluttershy knew that Rainbow had a tendency to act before thinking, even if she means well.

"I hope so, Pinkie. I wouldn't want Perry and Rainbow to hate each other."

Finally out of the view of everyone else, Rainbow ran quickly towards the alley closest to her and crept down, shaking rapidly. "That's...that's not possible..." she said over and over. She looked at her fist, not a bit roughed up. She never made contact with him at all, even if she wasn't actually trying to hurt him. The attack didn't even graze him, yet he waited. He waited until the last millisecond, making it look like she made contact, and threw himself to the ground like he had been punched. Not only did he refuse to fight her, but he took a fall. "...That bastard...how weak does he think I am!" she yelled. "Don't look down on me..." she cried more softly.

---------- ---------- ----------

Perry walked Fluttershy home, saying goodnight as she walked inside her house. He was exhausted, going two days without sleep granted. He couldn't wait to get to bed. Making his way over to his house, he was stopped by someone on the road. The figured move in closer, revealing a very pissed off looking Rainbow Dash.

"YOU! HOW DARE YOU!" she yelled as she made her way over to him. She got right up in Perry's face. "You...you made me look like a fool! Don't you ever look down on me! I am Rainbow Dash!" she was on the verge of tears now. Perry just stood there silently. "I don't want you going easy on me! Fight me for real!"

"Dash, listen to me. I meant you no disrespect, but I really just don't want to fight you...I am tired and just want to go home and sleep now. Please let me be, and I will gladly have a friendly sparring match with you when we are both more focused," Perry said to Rainbow. She clenched her fist tightly, glaring at him. He tried to walk past her, but she made her best effort to block his path.

"Don't even think of it!" she continued to stand in Perry's way.

"Rainbow, you're tired and you're letting your emotions get the best of you. Just let it go...seriously," Perry told her with a stern voice. "I don't fight to prove a point...and neither should you."

"Damn you... DAMN YOU!" she shouted as she started throwing punches at him. He backed up, avoiding them quickly.

"Rainbow, calm down!" Perry yelled at her, starting to get upset as well. "I'm too tired for this!" she only continued yelling and attacking. Perry could keep this up, but with his lack of sleep impairing his judgment, he began to lose self control. He didn't want this to continue any more so he caught her next punch.

Rainbow gasped as Perry started squeezing, slowly crushing her hand in his. Trying her hardest to remove her hand from his grip, she could only cry out in pain as he started laughing. It was not his usual laugh, but a sick maniacal laugh belonging to a mad man. "Well, Rainbow. Are you happy now, because I feel so much better!" he continued to squeeze, long after she was on her knees.

"Please... stop...my hand..." she cried out. Tears were flowing down her face, but Perry only watched with a sick glee. Her hand was at the breaking point, the petrifying pain keeping her from being able to do anything besides beg.

"What's the matter, Rainbow? I thought this is what you wanted! To protect that pride of yours. Well, now you can keep your oh so precious pride. That sounds good right. Congratulations! You got me to play with you, just...like...you...wanted!" Perry spoke the last four words one at a time, in an almost teasing tone. "But, I think I will take your hand as a prize for myself. You only need one, so now we both win!" he said happily. She looked at him with pleading eyes as he stared at her, ready to finish this. Something inside him started to stir, watching Rainbow begging for forgiveness. The tears staining her face as he continued to grind down her knuckles in his vice grip. He let her hand go as she backed away from him quickly at a crawl. He walked over to her, calming down himself now, as his blood stopped racing. He bent over her and started to speak. "I... I'm sorry..."

The injured woman quickly yelled at him, tears still flowing down her face."What the hell is wrong with you!?" she held her injured hand close to her, scooting farther away from him. "What the hell are you?!" Perry remained silent for what could have been hours, though only seconds had actually passed. He paced around, trying to get his thoughts back together while finding a way to calm down the woman panicking in front of him. Finally he stopped, and took a deep breath to be able to say what needed to be said.

"I am complicated. That's all you need to know..." he spoke to her softly. Rainbow listened intently, still caressing her hand. "I can't ask you to forgive me for what I have done, but please don't speak of this," Perry mentally scolded himself. If he wanted to come off as a nut job, that was the right way to go. "I don't normally do this, but between your unexpected assult and my lack of sleep, I just lost it."

Perry looked at her tear stricken face, not filled with fear or anger anymore, but more of confusion and just a hint of understanding. Sure, he didn't have to go crazy and try to break her. Had she realized how stressed he actually was, she would have backed off. Thinking about it more and more, forcing him into a corner the way that she did, he really was only acting in self defense.

"I...I am also sorry..." she got up slowly, stretching out her hand. "You didn't break anything, so... it's all good," she walked over to him slowly, still timid as she watched him carefully. "I shouldn't have attacked you like I did, so let's make a deal. This remains between us, ok?" Perry nodded and looked at her. She kept up a strong face right now, but she was still scared of Perry, and that didn't settle well with him. "One thing that's bothering me right now," Rainbow started. "... Why did you stop... you were serious with what you said back there...you really...were going to..."

"A wise barkeep said something to me earlier today, and I felt I needed to take his words into consideration and try sowing the seed to understand why it made her happy..." he said to Rainbow. She only looked puzzled at him, and started to laugh slightly.

"You are freaking strange, no getting around that," she took a deep breath now, trying to calm herself down as well. "It will be hard, but this will go away sooner or later. I still consider you a friend, but I need some time to myself," she pointed at him, glaring intently. "But get this, you ever hurt Fluttershy, you will wish you took off my hand!" Perry nodded to her.

"Rainbow, I would never even dream of it," Rainbow smiled lightly. "In a way..." he said as he started walking away. "...she saved you tonight..." he waved to Rainbow, not looking back.

After the short walk to the house, Perry finally made his way to his bed. The day had been long. Way too long. Too much happening, too much to regret, too much to think about. He truly wanted to understand what made that girl unique. Showing compassion towards Rainbow Dash showed him a side he didn't think he had. It felt good, even though he shouldn't have done what he did in the first place. He never fought unless provoked, because when he fought, someone died. That was his life style and he did accept it. He also could accept now, that all fights didn't have to end in bloodshed if he really wanted. As he laid there, he didn't bother to change into his sleep apparel, he just fell onto the bed and crashed where he laid. He quickly fell into a nice slumber, finally letting the long needed sleep take him over.

---------- ---------- ----------

It was a new day! The sun was shining, the birds were chirping, and the door was being hit repeatedly. Perry especially disliked that last one, getting him up from his slumber. He went to the door and opened it slowly, staring into the eyes of a blond haired woman he had met during his initial arrival, but hadn't seen since.

"Applejack, was it?" he started. "Do you have any idea what time it is?" she looked at him, a bit puzzled.

"Umm, I reckon it be a bit after one," she said to him.

"Oh...pardon my rudeness then. I overslept today, and I am slightly out of it," Perry laughed slightly. He was in at the very least a better mood than the night before. "So what can I do for you?" he asked Applejack.

"Well, I was wonderin' if you'd be willin' to lend a hand. Me an' my brother Big Mac are a..."

"Big Mac?" Perry asked, holding back a chuckle.

"It's a nick name. His whole name is Macintosh, but everyone 'ere calls him Big Mac. Anyway, we were asking our friends about helpin us out, we already got Rainbow an' Spike, and was hopin' for one more strong fella. The others are busy, but Rarity said you might be good for the job."

"Hmm, I have been feeling a tad out of shape. Let me freshen up before I leave. No need to stand in the door, come in," he walked back into the house, Applejack following shortly after.

"Mighty nice place you have here. Small, but the cozy kind," Applejack said looking around. He nodded in agreement, going into the kitchen and grabbing a small bottle of juice. He grabbed a straw and stuck it in, sipping as he walked into the bathroom. He walked out a few minutes later, hair less of a mess and a fresh set of cloths on, though exactly the same style. "You seriously have more than one of them flashy shirts?" Applejack asked. He nodded and pointed to a closet in the hall. She went and opened it, finding about twenty of them in there. "If you had so many of them, why the heck did ya make such a huge fuss to Rarity the other day?"

"Because I thought it would be funny. Besides, I didn't lie about the dry clean part, but I might of pushed the truth about caring. It was worth it in the long run," he said in his usual tone, with hints of laughter at the end. She just looked at him and shook her head.

"Whatever, I suppose no harm done," she started towards the door, Perry following quickly. They both made their way to the farm, just having light conversations about simple things, mainly her family and how he should act around them. Applejack wasn't into jokes as much as the others, so Perry figured most of his stories would be wasted on the straightforward woman. It was a shame, too, as he had a good one about a farmer and a ravenous goat.

---------- ---------- ----------

The farm was much bigger than Perry thought it would be. Still, he could use a workout and if he kept on going without, all the cupcakes would catch up to him. In his head he cursed Pinkie for her deliciously devilish desserts. They met up with the group, who were apparently waiting for them. Spike and Rainbow said hi to Perry and Applejack, sitting up since break time was most likely over. Rainbow still acting a bit sheepish towards Perry, as it was understandable. He wasn't going to fault her for avoiding him after what happened last night.

Taking a look at everyone else, Perry's gaze rested over the large blond man wearing a red flannel shirt. It had an apple design on it, the same design printed on the side of his worn out blue jeans. He stood almost a full foot taller than Applejack, and just a bit more than Perry. He would have been intimidating had it not been for his smile and the piece of hay hanging from his mouth.

"This everyone?" Big Mac asked, looking at the group.

"Yup! With all of us working together, we should be done before nightfall," Applejack said to her brother. Perry walked up to Big Mac and held out his hand.

"Pleasure to meet you, Big Mac. My name is Perry O'te, but please just call me Perry."

"Nice to meet ya, too," Big Mac took Perrys hand and shook it, giving a surprised look towards him. "Pa always told me you could tell the quality of a man by the grip of his handshake."

"Your father sounds very wise indeed," Perry said to Big Mac. "But enough talk! Apples won't pick themselves, right. Not that it wouldn't be interesting to see, but if they did I would most likely still be sleeping. Since I am not still sleeping, away we go!" he quickly walked into the grove, followed by Spike and Applejack. Rainbow walked up to Big Mac and gently elbowed him in the side.

"Hurts, don't it," she said to him and walked away. He stood there for a second waiting for Rainbow to be out of earshot.

"...Eeyup."

---------- ---------- ----------

The day was finally coming to an end, and Perry learned many things about picking apples; mainly that it was boring. He didn't like to be bored, so he found ways to entertain himself as well as his fellow co-workers. It went fine until the balance the basket of apples on the head act failed, causing him to trip and fall, spilling its contents everywhere. Everyone still laughed, knowing that it was all in good fun. Though Rainbow still kept her distance, she found it easier to talk to Perry by the end of the hard work day. Still, their conversations were nothing more than a few words. With everything finally backed up for the day, and for all of their hard work, they were all invited into the Apple household for a nice dinner.

"This is a beautiful farm altogether. The scenery and rustic nature must be more than pleasant," Perry said to Applejack and Big Mac. Applejack smiled at the compliment while Big Mac simply nodded.

"Yup! This here is a nice place," she said back. "Wouldn't do anything differently," everyone made there way to the kitchen to eat. Perry looked over to see Apple Bloom setting the table.

"Long time no see, Apple Bloom," he said as he caught her attention. She smiled and walked up to him.

"Hey there, Mr. Perry, how have ya been?" she asked him politely.

"Fair to partly crazy," he chuckled, causing her to laugh as well. Applejack walked over to them.

"When did you two meet?" she asked, concerned in the way a big sister normally would be.

"I helped her and her friends get a kite out of a tree while waiting at Rarity's. By the way, how did it do?" he asked, turning towards Apple Bloom.

"Miss Cheerilee gave us all A's!" she said happily. "Thanks again for helping us out."

"No problem. It was my pleasure to help you," Perry said. He then turned to Applejack, who had a smile on her face. "You got a nice caring sister, Apple Bloom, so take good care of her," Apple Bloom nodded and went to finish setting the table. Applejack looked at Perry blushing slightly at the comment.

"It's hard to know what to think of ya. One moment you're a weirdo, the other a goof, and another a complete goody two shoe. Even though, I must say thanks then for helping her out. When those three are together, who knows what they would have done," she smiled. He laughed, scratching his head slightly.

"Heh heh. Yes, who knows..." he recalled the makeshift see-saw catapult they were planning to use, but figured big sis didn't really need to know. As they were talking, an elderly woman walked up to them. She had grey hair, done up into a bun, and wore a large, and slightly bulky green dress, with a large white apron over it.

"You must be the famous Granny Smith I have heard about," Perry said as he gave a slight bow. "It is a pleasure."

"What a nice young man, so polite... but scrawny! Come, let's get some meat on them bones," she said to the group as they made there way to their seats. Perry sat between Apple Bloom and Big Mac. "Sonny, take off that goofy thing at the table," Granny Smith said, pointing to his mask. Perry chuckled nervously, not used to someone being so forward about it.

"Granny Smith... he kind of has a thing against removing it front of others," Spike said. "For him it would be like not wearing clothes... it would be..."

"Spike...allow me," he slowly reached his hand up to his mask. Everyone watching on in awe as he was about to do the unthinkable. He quickly pulled his mask off, revealing...another mask exactly like it underneath. Spike started bursting out laughing as everyone else stared dumbfounded.

"HAHAHAha... The old mask under a mask trick, how did I not see it coming," Spike said, catching his breath. "He gets me with that every time," Perry only stared at Spike, setting his extra mask aside.

"I have to apologize, Spike, but how do you keep falling for it?" Perry asked, genuinely curious. "I could understand the first and second, but this is the forty-sixth time," everyone let out a chuckle now, even Spike, embarrassed but agreeing that he could be a bit gullible.

"If yer that determined to wear the silly thing, go ahead. If what the lad says is true, then it would be rude of me to strip ya," Granny Smith told Perry. The mental image slightly scarred him.

"Thank you very much. I do appreciate it more than you could know," he said, taking a fork full of mashed potatoes and slipping it under his mask. Despite eating, he still hid perfectly, even laughing at all the odd angles Apple Bloom sat at to try and see up it. They all told storied and had a few laughs. It was nice to be with a loving family like this, and Perry greatly enjoyed getting to know the Apples. He was, however, still concerned with Rainbow, who barely talked throughout the entire night. She responded and laughed with everyone, but other than that, her usual spunky self was missing from the nice evening.

---------- ---------- ----------

Perry said his goodbyes to the Apples making his way out. Spike left early, so it was just him and Rainbow Dash walking home, and it looked like Rainbow was about to take flight.

"Rainbow?" Perry said to her, trying to catch her before she left.

"Umm yeah, what's up?" she said nervously.

"Care to walk with me back, It's pretty far, and I am sure you would like to talk a bit," Perry asked politely. Rainbow put some thought into it, and eventually decided that she needed to get this over with, like pulling off an old band aid.

"Sure...I guess," she nodded. Perry returned the nod, making his way back towards the town. Rainbow followed right after, the both of them in silence for some time, simply enjoying the crisp night air. Eventually, the lack of sound between the two got a bit awkward. Perry decided to make the first move, since she was the one avoiding him.

"So, how is your hand doing?" Perry asked her casually.

"Well, it's still sore, but much better now. Working it today helped loosen it up," she looked down. "Sorry if it seems like I have been ignoring you today," she said to him, rubbing her hand out of instinct.

"It's not a problem. I could understand that you would still be nervous," he sighed. "Last night was just a simple lack of judgment on my part. I knew better, yet I still acted like a brute."

"It's fine, I guess. I am the one who went all psycho bitch before and tried to kick your ass," she laughed slightly. "Didn't go as I planned..."

"Now Rainbow, don't lie like that," she looked at him a bit confused. "You have to think to have a plan!" he laughed. She stared at him, giving Perry a playful punch to the arm. He took it like a man and laughed some more, both of them finally loosening up now.

"I guess everyone has their side they don't like to show..." Rainbow said, now looking down. "But it would suck if we disliked each other for being people we don't like to be," Perry just nodded, looking towards the ground. He couldn't tell her that he normally did enjoy being like that. He reveled in the bloodshed and mayhem of battle, and didn't care for other ways to go about it. Maybe it was time to learn something new.

"One day, when we are both ready, I'll spar you for real. No emotions swaying our judgment, or grudges, just...a fun test of our skill," Rainbow smiled at the comment, looking over at him excitedly.

"You better be ready then, cause I am going to have to kick your ass good next time!"

"I look forward to it," he smiled at her spunk, and really did look forward to it.

Perry and Rainbow walked up to his house. "This is my stop. Thank you for being such good company," Rainbow nodded to him give one last wave before heading up into Cloudsdale. He entered the house and sat back for a bit, just staring out into the night sky.

"Kindness...maybe it isn't all that bad," he chuckled, remembering back to what the barkeep from yesterday told him about the plant. "I owe him a drink... Maybe that's what he meant," he laughed, enjoying the hidden wit in that man. He got changed and ready for bed himself, tomorrow hopefully going to go even better than today.

---------- ---------- ----------

"My power is almost restored..." an ominous voice spoke from the deep parts of the forest on the outskirts of town. Animals dared not tread near it. A lone figure cloaked in black kneeled before the dark within the forest. "Those blasted Elements of Harmony will regret the day they ruined my plans..." a red glow slowly illuminated the darkness of the forest where the entity stayed hidden, waiting until it was time, and his power was fully returned. "I will show them all the true meaning of TERROR!"