• Published 25th Feb 2013
  • 5,231 Views, 171 Comments

Jokers Wild - blowngasket



A vacation for a loyal member of the Equestrian Royal Court leaves the Mane 6 pondering about the odd yet enthusiastic man. Why does he always wear that mask, and what are his true intentions that it hides? (Humanized Ponies Warning)

  • ...
10
 171
 5,231

Holiday Special: To Play the Hands We Are Dealt

Author's Note:

I know that I have marked this story complete, but something like this fits here better than in Fifty-Three Pickup.

A simple Hearths Warming Eve tale from a man who is anything but simple. I hope you all enjoy, and I wish you all the best of luck in having a happy holiday.

To Play the Hands We Are Dealt

Snow. Pure, clean, and refreshing to the touch. A subtle serenity came from staring into the sky and watching the small flakes fall. Even though it was cold. Even with the wind blowing, he was happy to look up into the sky, to watch as the flakes landed harmlessly on his mask. It was hard to remember how much time he had actually spent out in this weather, or why he felt the need to in the first place. It was just something that happened, especially around this time of the year.

“Perry, would you like to come in?” Fluttershy asked, peeking her head out the door, watching him from the warmth of her cottage. Every day was different with him, something new, exciting. This time, on the most festive of times, he was silent. Where others were excited about the season, he was the calm one. He wasn’t sad, but he wasn’t the same. “Perry, you are going to catch a cold. Please come in,” Fluttershy softly demanded. She let out a small ‘eep’, blushing slightly as if she did something wrong. “If that is okay with you…”

“No need to apologize. Just a few more minutes,” Perry requested, never removing his gaze from the sky. Fluttershy, though not wearing much more than him, slowly walked outside, trying to ignore the cold temperature. She walked up behind him, wrapping her arms around him and holding him tightly. She shivered, his entire body was cold to the touch. Yet, even in his icy state, he didn’t shake in the slightest.

“How long have you been out here?” he asked, surprised about the cold herself.

“Did you ever notice how unique each snowflake is? I know they are made that way on purpose, but it is still such a beautiful thing,” Perry’s response was different than what Fluttershy was expecting, but she silently nodded, finding no real reason to disagree with that statement. “Just like every living thing in the world. Even though there are similarities, no living thing is ever truly the same as one another.”

“Perry, we should probably head inside,” Fluttershy said, trying to keep her tone stern. She wasn’t about to let the most important man in her world freeze to death. “No arguing, or no cocoa,” Fluttershy threatened, crossing her arms over her chest. Perry remained quiet for a few seconds, Fluttershy starting to get nervous. “Okay…maybe a sip…” he couldn’t stand seeing him like this, but a laugh allowed her to breathe just a bit easier.

“I can’t possibly refuse you when you act cute.”

It was hard to say if she blushed, or if it was the cold weather tinting her cheeks red. Fluttershy meekly smiled at the sentiment. Perry finally stopped his sky gazing, wiping away the layer of snow that accumulated on his mask. Turning around, they walked hand in hand back into the cottage, where the warmth took away the bitter chill on their skins. Taking a seat, Perry quietly waited for Fluttershy, who returned after a few minutes in the kitchen with two mugs of cocoa. Perry looked into the cup, taking in the sweet aroma that wafted from within, bringing with it a simple memory of his happier days.

“Thank you for spending tonight with me,” Fluttershy said quietly after some silence. “I know you are not all that excited, but-“

“None of that, Flutters,” Perry quickly interrupted her the moment he heard the sadness in her voice. “I am happy to be here. I swear it,” Perry noticed her gaze, inquisitive yet soft. He sighed, putting his cup down on the table. “Would you like to hear a story?” Perry asked reaching up to his face, releasing the mask placed on it with a quick tug, looking down at the smile. It was always something that granted him comfort, even after so many years of darkness and insanity that had plagued his youth. He turned his gaze from the mask to Fluttershy. She smiled comfortingly at him, gently patting his leg. “I started to wear masks twelve years ago today, but I should elaborate. It started after my father was placed under arrest a little over a year before.”

---------- ---------- ----------

Within the simple, yet cozy apartment, it was anything but so. A young child stared out onto the streets of Canterlot. He silently watched the snow fall, completely unresponsive to the conflict going on behind him, his lifeless eyes just watching, avoiding the entire argument that his uncle was having with the man in the suit that came around occasionally. He didn’t like him very much, always trying to become friends with him, offer him candy or toys on occasion. He didn’t know him, why should he have to speak to him?

“I know you are trying, Mr. Quinn, but he hasn’t shown signs of progress for over a year,” the suited man tried to hold back his voice, but it was obvious that he was still upset.

“Will you remove your head from your rear for just a second and use it?! He doesn’t have anyone left in this world!” his uncle Harley responded, no lack of restraint in his emotion.

He ran his hands through his short, dark hair in frustration. It wasn’t uncommon for the two to fight, but it didn’t really matter, it always ended the same. Uncle Harley would walk into his room after he left, while Aunt Columbina would try and get him to speak to her. All and all, even a holiday was just another day. No real reason to care.

“Listen, I don’t have many other options here, as he is clearly in need of help you two are unable to give him. It isn’t about what you want! Think about Perry,” Uncle Harley seemed to really lose his temper here, grabbing the man by the collar and bringing him face to face with him.

“You listen and you listen good! I don’t care what you or your superiors think! He is all I have left of her, and I refuse to let you take him away from us. You didn’t seem to care when he lived with that psycho!”

“Harley!” his aunt yelled, trying to hold back her opinions as well.

She remained seated, wearing a simple white dress, her brown hair put up into a bun. Her white wings could be seen folded against her back, resembling the snow falling outside. Perry always found it odd how she dressed so plain, yet Uncle Harley was always so bright and colorful. He admired the red and black diamond pattern he always wore, though lately it seemed less and less important. He never understood why she got upset when he said bad things about his dad. His father never cared about what people thought of him, so why should he?

“Sorry, dear,” Harley said, taking a deep breath and setting the disgruntled man down. He frowned, dusting himself off.

“I am not heartless, but once the holidays are over, I will be coming back with an official order. I am sorry, but it is in the best interest of the boy,” Harley was barely restraining himself, Columbina walking behind him and hugging him tightly to calm him down. “Have a happy hearths warming eve.”

With that, he opened the door and walked out, leaving the room completely silent. Harley quietly left the room, and forcefully shut their bedroom door. Another repeating cycle that ended in pointless bickering. Columbina and Perry both seemed to ignore the muffled screams that usually resulted from this kind of visit, and instead she walked over to him and took a seat by him, staring out the window as well. She remained quiet, though. Instead of speaking like normal, she elected to join him in the quiet pastime he had been embracing for several months. Perry didn’t necessarily mind the quiet, but found it hard to enjoy every time his gaze caught the teary reflection of the woman behind him. He sighed, no longer able to enjoy watching the snowflakes.

“What was mom like?” Perry asked quietly. He had heard it many times before, but his mind came to the conclusion that she wouldn’t leave unless he finally gave in and talked a little. It was like every time before, but this time he did it without being asked. She smiled gently, collecting her thoughts, before placing her hand comfortingly on his head.

“Corallina was always so sweet,” his Aunt started. “Even when she was small, she had the strong belief that everyone deserved kindness, no matter who they were. It wasn’t a surprise when she got her cutie mark, a simple white heart, but perfect for her. It was this strong believe that brought her to your father, actually. The troublemaker kind of person, always rowdy and rebellious. She must have seen something in him, because she gave him all the chances in the world, even though he was a handful at times. I always told her, ‘Lina, you can find someone better.’ She would just smile and shake her head. ‘The strongest hearts are those made under pressure, like beautiful gems,” Perry had heard this story, and knew where it was going, but remained silent anyways. “Against all odds, she succeeded, and managed to break through that stone heart of his, even if it was only for a short amount of time,” she could never get through this part, knowing that her story ended where his began. He never felt remorse, though. How could he? It didn’t make sense to be sad for someone who you never knew.

“He broke,” Perry’s cold gaze in the window managed to catch the reflection of his uncle, standing behind them. “You are old enough to know the rest of the story,” Uncle Harley sighed, pulling up a chair on the other side of the young Perry. “When your mother passed, all of her effort in making him a better man passed with her. He fell apart, slowly but surely. He became delusional, and lost. Don’t think for a second he didn’t treasure you, though. He always spoke of how you would be the savior one day," his uncle smiled, a small chuckle leaving his lips. “He held you in high regards, even to this day.”

Perry sat quietly, taking this all in. It was hard to say he didn’t care about his father, having put forth effort in making sure he was happy, even though he was the reason he lost his wife. It wouldn’t be odd for a person to be bitter and hateful about that, even Perry knew. “Savior…” Perry mumbled that word, picking it apart in his head, trying to make heads and tails about it. “Ranting’s of a mad man.”

“Maybe, but we would be mad as well if we didn’t believe in you like he did. You can bring happiness to everyone if you try,” Columbina said with a smile. He turned towards her, staring her down, his right eye’s red almost glowing.

“What comes from believing in happiness, anyways?” Perry asked, a straight question waiting for a straight answer.

“You did,” a small response, but the words need not be any more numerous for their effect. Perry’s scowl turned to a frown. He always hated how nice she was, even in times like these. Still, it was hard to not be effected by the warmth in her smile, as well as the comforting and understanding look given to him by his uncle. It wouldn’t kill him to try and be more cheerful, if just for today. He swallowed his shallow sadness and inched up a smile, wrapping his arms around his aunt and giving her a hug.

“I know I have been trouble for you, but I am grateful, and…I love you both,” Perry tried his hardest to mean what he said. He knew deep down he could, but every day it became so much harder for him.

“I love you too, Perry,” she returned the hug, grateful for even this small hint of emotion. “I think we should give him his present early. What do you think, Harley?” the man smiled and got up walking back into his room, coming back with a red wrapped box with a lime green bow.

Perry looked at it, not really sure what to do. He had received presents before, but never wrapped. He carefully undid the bow, removing the ribbon. Carefully removing the wrapping paper as to not ruin it, he opened the lid on the inside. Staring at the inside of the box, Perry slowly removed the contents. He looked at his present, a white ceramic mask, white with a light blue mouth, and its eyes resembling plus signs. It looked exactly like the one on his uncle’s old performance flyers, though this time not placed on him. He turned it around in his hand, looking at the inside of it. Even though there were no strings to hold it in place, no padding, it looked comfortable. He slowly placed it on his face, surprised to find it stick to it easily, not moving of its own accord.

“I thought you might like it. An item from back in my days as a performer. It is enchanted to be able to stay on your face without any straps to hold it in place," Perry stared out the eyeholes, viewing the world from a new perspective. It was easy enough to see out of, yet completely clear, like he was staring through the window the entire time. “It might make it easier for you to go outside. What do you say, will you join me and your aunt for dinner tonight?”

“Leave…” it wasn’t something he was fond of doing, his off eye always drawing attention. He couldn’t say he cared, but the insults and comments did get to him. It got to his dad as well, who even went as far as to make who he called the non-believers suffer. “It would be easier, to not be seen,” Perry said, turning his now masked gaze towards his aunt and uncle. “Maybe, but I am willing to give it a try,” both Harley and Columbina quickly shot a large smile.

Inside, they were completely thrilled, being the first time since he has arrived that he agreed to leave, with little effort as well. They quickly scrambled to put on more cold resistant outfits, as well as dusting off the coat Perry neglected. They handed it to him, and were filled with joy as he put it on voluntarily. He even got up and put his shoes on, waiting by the door.

Together, the family left the apartment building and made their way into the busy streets of Canterlot, Perry feeling the cold air for the first time. He looked up, staring into the sky, and watching the flakes of snow land on his mask, just like watching from the window. Both Harley and Columbina waited patiently for him, not wanting to ruin it by rushing him along. He didn’t know how much time had passed, staring into the snowy sky, watching the snowflakes land, but behind the mask, he smiled slightly. Even though he knew better, for this one small moment, he felt a childlike sense of wonder that he thought had all but vanished.

---------- ---------- ----------

“The social worker who always stopped by was dumbfounded when he came back after and saw me playing in the snow, wearing this of course. It was my safety net. I began to open up, telling all kinds of stories to the neighborhood kids about why I wore it. Of course there was some ridicule, but it was about something that I had the power to change instead, so it definitely hurt less. Soon, it became impossible to separate me from it. Too much of a good thing and all."

“Let’s visit them tomorrow,” Fluttershy said, smiling warmly as she held his hand. “I wanted to meet them for some time, actually. I need to thank them for making you the wonderful man you are today,” her smile was soft and completely sincere. Perry found it hard to not blush. He nodded, staring down at the mask.

“You mind if I step out for one more moment?” Fluttershy nodded. Perry, taking a few seconds of deep thought, slowly handed her his mask. His eyes held a fear, something that Fluttershy could relate to, yet even then she admired how he stood, literally this time, against it. He made his way towards the door, and opened it slowly, walking outside once again into the snow. He looked up into the sky, this time unmasked, and smiled as the cold flakes of ice melted against his face. Fluttershy watched, smiling from the frame of the door, as Perry threw away all fright that night to savor a simple childlike wonder. “Fluttershy?”

“Yes, Perry?” she responded politely, waiting for what he had to say.

“Happy Hearths Warming Eve, my love,” the snow continued to melt on his face, making it hard to tell if the streaks of water flowing down his cheeks were from the flakes.