• Published 21st Feb 2013
  • 3,069 Views, 472 Comments

To Serve Bronies - Fuzzy Necromancer



Twilight Sparkle and Rarity, like all unicorns, are omnivores with a taste for certain types of meat. Fluttershy and Applejack are used to protecting non-equine critters. Two savory bronies will put friendships in jeopardy.

  • ...
83
 472
 3,069

PreviousChapters Next
Fascinating Experimentation

“That’s a lot of straps and wires,” the human said. Perspiration built on its nearly-furless skin. She resisted the urge to start licking it for the salt content. Humans gave off lots of delicious salt.

“You’re sure you’re a mammal?” Twilight said. She mixed up a mild sedative unguent while Spike fastened the natural pleather straps and steel manacles. “Only, mammals tend to be a bit more furry, and you don’t have feathers like a gryphon.”

"My mother could tell you I am," the human said. It choked out a little laugh-like cough and continued perspiring, despite the bone-deep chill of the laboratory.

"Well, she's not here so I'll have to make due," Twilight sighed. "Spike, could you bring me the cloth-cutter?"

The human smelled appetizingly afraid. It was amazing how many endocrinological features ponies shared with these eldritch bipeds. She remembered a treatise by Time-Turner the Sage on how, with slight evolutionary changes, ponies might have developed without the ability to vomit or burp, something that remained hopelessly abstract and unprovable. It wasn't so unprovable and abstract, however, after reading Animal Husbandry's postulate on the nature of convergent evolution. The deep-sea Kraken had an eyeball structure remarkably similar to that of earth ponies, and the same cornea structure was mirrored hair, as she could see when she held up a Brownian filter and a green-flame candle to the human's eye.

"Fascinating. Spike, could you take a note?"

She shivered. Frost condensed on her lens. "And please, get me a coat or something? It's really chilly down here."

"It doesn't seem cold to me," the human said.

"Hold your humans already," Spike said, tossing her the cloth cutter. "I'll be right up. Celestia's horseshoes, I should have just gone to Rarity first," he muttered, just on the cusp of hearing.

"What was that?" Twilight snarled. The hunger pangs were making her crabby.

"Nothing. I'll be right down!" Spike yelled over his shoulder.

Twilight locked the instrument over her front right leg and snipped it down the human's "shirt", assuming such a term applied to ape-garments.

"Definitely a mammal!"

The human coughed and tilted his head away. "Maybe it's a bit cold after all."

#

Fish cascaded up the low waterfalls, helped along where necessary. Fluttershy hovered around, relaying trained commands to her gangs of jays and murders of crows. Everything needed to go smoothly at the spawning. If not, the consequences would snowball and have a devastating effect on the aquatic ecosystem, and Equestria needed strong fish supplies to keep relations with Gryphonia friendly.

Trimmer the Red Jay whistled a pre-arranged tune into her ear. It wasn't long before her eyes confirmed Trimmer's signal. A rising tide of silver and pink rolled up the waterfall.

Trout and salmon trailed sperm and eggs through the frothing water. Hooded monk-fish and even a few sea-popes crowded in at the edges, ready to reproduce asexually by adopting unfertilized eggs. Even a few swordfish, herring, and sheildfish squeezed in through the shining bubbling mass.

"Nature is so fascinating," Fluttershy said, her breath sharp and ragged. She really liked this part. Angel sat next to her for a few more minutes before he went to through up in the bushes.

Fluttershy had been careful to keep her bear, otter and eagle friends away from this event, even though she trusted them to not give in to temptation. She gently glided into the shallows of a nice estuary, where the fish with performance anxiety had pooled around, pretending to really enjoy the algae at the edge of the pond.

Fluttershy snapped thick waxed gloves over her wings once she was safely on the ground. Now time for the tricky part.
She grabbed a sexually-disintrested trout, gentle but firm, and began to squeeze. Once again, she felt like there was something else she was supposed to be taking care of.

#

Lyra plunged into the thick, curly undergrowth of the everfree forest, wobbling on two legs with a machete gripped between her teeth. She'd only had a minor run-in with a lone Timber Wolf, and that had been easy enough to deal with once you knew their weaknesses and stayed away from the wild zap-apple copses.

Anyway, a pony had to take some risks when she was hunting…the most dangerous game.

Not that she'd actually kill and eat them, she reminded herself. She just wanted to get her blood going with the thrill of the hunt, maybe hog-tie them and scare them a little, and then they'd be in a good mood to talk. Creatures that became an apex predator in certain environments would only respect a new sapient race if they proved they were good hunters too, right?

She reluctantly dropped the machete from her teeth and latched it onto the hoof-handy attachment. She needed her magic free if she wanted be on her guard.

Speaking of magic, Lyra thought. She ducked into the foliage while some clouds of chaos magic whizzed along, pushed by a few untamed phoenixes and a predatory rainbow-serpent.

The Everfree forest was just plain weird sometimes.

Once the danger had passed, Lyra pulled out the most sacred relic from her secret collection of Human Artifacts. She'd traded a clan of vicious lunar faeries ten gallons of fresh mare's milk and a two-gallon jar of wild buckwheat honey for this. It was worth every drop, and the ten weeks afterwards when she'd woke up feeling sore in the leg-pits, and the half-a-year she had spent beforehand cultivating buckwheat flowers and training bees. She wiped a thick layer of sweat from her neck just thinking about it.

Preserved inside a piece of amber, resting in a glass prism filled with heavy water to let it float and spin under the least thaumic influence, was a bone. Specifically, it was a human canine tooth. The molars and front teeth looked a lot more non-threatening and pony-like, but this was enough. Sympathetic magic was a type of magic so old it almost didn't count as magic, and she'd heard of pegasi, donkeys and earth ponies working it, although she hadn't seen it first-hand. It should be no problem for a unicorn.
She levitated the amber inside the prism, making it bob and spin. Once she'd focused her magical grip on it, she pumped a steady psychic pulse into the tooth. She let it float and drift, opening her mind wide until drool warmed her neck.

An echoing pulse vibrated down her horn. She'd managed a resonance lock. Lyra slowly increased the power until the canine spun, it's blood-tipped roots pointing north by north-east. She smiled.

The quarry had emerged. She just wished she'd thought to bring heavier clothing, as she trotted through the tangling thorns and disordered winds howled above her. The Everfree Forest was surprisingly cold for this time of year.

Author's Note:

Twilight begins research, Fluttershy oversees spawning, and Lyra goes hunting.

PreviousChapters Next