• Published 20th Feb 2013
  • 617 Views, 6 Comments

How the great and powerful have fallen - coffeebrony



It has been a month since Trixie lost the magic duel to Twilight Sparkle and after fleeing has not been able to shake a feeling that is unfamiliar to her, that feeling being regret.

  • ...
 6
 617

Chapter 3 - Friend or foe?

The sun was high in the air as Trixie arrived at the edge of Ponyville, Standing on the cobbled bridge crossing the river, she looked down the main road leading into the center of town. The sweet scent of baked goods wafted from the distant door of Sugarcube corner and past her nostrils, the sound of running water and ponies chatting could be heard with only the slight accompaniment of birdsong flitting in. Suddenly, Trixie's head spun as a loud boom could be heard, shattering the tranquility and she stood in awe as a rainbow ring spread across the sky in the distance. "YAHOOOO!" Seconds later a single rainbow rocketed overhead, led by a familiar yet almost invisible sky blue pegasus yelling at the top of her lungs.

This interruption was enough to snap Trixie out of her daze, and coming back to her senses she took a few tentative steps before continuing on into Ponyville, deciding to leave her trailer on the outskirts of town as, in this rare instance, she wished not to draw attention to herself in town.

As Trixie walked along the cobbled street the dull sound of her hooves echoed off the tall cottages that lined the streets, Despite the friendly pinks and calm browns of the cottage walls they seemed to loom over Trixie, all serving as a reminder to that fateful day. However, being the resilient Pony she was, she just carried on silently, hoping that this ordeal would be over soon.

The town wasn't its usual bustling self and was instead quiet with only a few ponies ambling from stall to stall before heading off to their next destinations, none of them paying attention to Trixie as they were either too busy, lost in thoughts of their errands or just because they didn't recognize the new blue unicorn in town. "Hmm hmm hmm, this town never changes." She giggled to herself as she continued through the market place. "Still dull, without someone to liven it up." The words fell out of her mouth with such an un-enthused sarcasm as she remembered the two times previous that she had been in town.

Trixie's natural curiosity was getting the better of her, she started hoping for somepony to glance over at her just for the nod of recognition of her presence, looking down every street and alley to see if there was another pony, before shrugging it of remembering the whole reason for the return." Uuuurgh, I've got to find Twilight's house.......wait.......ummm." She stared in blank humiliation as she realised that she had been travelling for two days to get to Ponyville and had now just walked into the middle of town, all without once remembering that she had never actually seen or knew where Twilight Sparkle lived. "Well, this is just perfect. Now i'm gonna have to ask somepony where she lives."

Trixie whirled round looking for any passer by to ask directions, as she thought everypony must know who Twilight Sparkle is and where she could be found................nobody was about, this puzzled Trixie as she saw a few ponies about just a minute ago. Suddenly, out of the corner of her eye she noticed a flank and tail slowly moving down a street ahead of her to the right of the market place. "Err..Wait! Stop!...err...please wait!" She called out as she galloped after the disappearing stranger, darting down the street in pursuit.

"Hey! I said stop!" bellowed Trixie as she caught up with the stranger, who promptly stopped in their tracks at the assaulting order. Trixie finally got to see what the pony looked like and was shocked at the attire, a large dark red hat with gold trim and lining covered the pony's mane and head shadowing every feature on their face, a matching red cape accented with golden decorations flowed from underneath the hat covering the body of the pony from neck to flank. Golden bangles around the legs accented the pony's white coat and an assortment of bags were hovering around the stranger.

"Well i never!" Came a shrill cry from beneath the hat, and with a flick of the neck, the brim was flung up to reveal a stunning, white unicorn with an elegantly curled and purple mane. "Never before have i been so rudely addressed, do you not have any mann.........AAAAAAH! ITS YOU!" She shrieked realizing who was talking to her.

Trixie was speechless, of all the ponies she could have run into out of all the Ponyville civilians, she had to come face to face with one of the least likely options she had run into. "R-R-Rarity!?" She finally managed to splutter out still dumbfounded at her own dumb luck, Rarity stood there also in shock at seeing Trixie back in town.

"What are you doing back here?" Rarity queried "I thought you would have learnt your lesson to stay away after the whole ursa and amulet incidents." She added indignantly. Trixie opened her mouth to retort, but hesitated upon reasoning that Rarity's hostility was understandable, She looked at Rarity, before lowering her head and looking at the ground. "Look, i know that in the past I've been a little annoying" She started. "A LITTLE!?" Rarity suddenly interjected. "OKAY,OKAY,I've been absolutely horrible to you......and your friends too." Trixie's eyes raised and met with Rarity's. "But that's why i'm here, i want to try and make things better. I want to apologize for what i did in the past. But i need to find Twilight Sparkle's home so i can apologize to her first. Please help me Rarity, please."

Rarity's eyes saw a side of Trixie that nopony else had probably ever seen, at first she thought this was nothing more than a ruse, but hearing Trixie wanting to apologize as well as going as far to actually say please convinced her.

"Oh alright, if you are sincere then you can reach Twilight's house by returning to the main square and taking the road with the sign indicating to the library."

Trixie's eyes teared up at this sign of kindness and in a sign of humility gave Rarity a sincere smile ans simply thanked her before galloping off to the square. "Well i never!" Rarity repeated again as she watched Trixie gallop away, before turning around and continuing on with her bags.

Back in the square, Trixie was hurriedly looking for a sign post, and then she spotted it, leading down a small road that led onto a dirt path was a small signpost that read "Library" once more Trixie started galloping at full speed to get there quickly and as to not waste anymore time or bump into anyone else. After about 5 minutes of running as she rounded a bend she could see a giant tree with windows in it. "AHA! found it!" She thought to herself proudly, and as she reached the door, she took a long deep breath trying to get back some of her energy.

Knocking on the door she waited straining her ears to hear if there was any life from inside, but after a minute or so with no answer her spirits fell. She was just about to leave when. "Trixie!?" A voice called out her name from quite close by, Trixie looked over her shoulder to see a familiar purple unicorn standing about 10 feet away from her. "Twilight!" Trixie replied, before noticing that twilight was looking at her with a look of both suspicion and anger. Sensing this hostility she calmly said "Twilight please, i need to talk to you." All the while Twilight's horn began to glow.

Comments ( 1 )

I love this story :twilightsmile:
Please keep it up ^^

Login or register to comment