• Published 8th Feb 2013
  • 16,518 Views, 747 Comments

I Wasn't Prepared for This - canonkiller



When a last-minute hug from her assistant interrupts Twilight's coronation, the spell goes horribly wrong.

  • ...
80
 747
 16,518

Blue Eyes and Moonrise

Twilight was blearily aware that she was flying. As she came to, she realized her wings were not flapping, nor were the wide feathers on either side of her her own.

Luna checked over her shoulder, her gaze meeting Twilight's gleaming green eye. "Hello, Sparkle."

Twilight realized she should respond. Her mouth tasted like dust. "Luna?"

"She's falling!" Luna dove forward, barely snagging the falling pony's tail in her magic. "You two, go back to Celestia and tell her to summon the Elements!"

Two Night Guards, hidden in the long shadow cast by the rocks below, took wing, looping off behind her to soar off to Canterlot.

Luna dipped a wing under the limp Princess, rolling her onto her own back. "Oh, Princess Sparkle. I fear your journey is far from over."

"I have been following you for quite a while, little one. You're lucky I was here when you fell."

"Fell?"

"Exhaustion." Luna clarified. "You fell asleep."

"Oh." Twilight sighed, dropping her chin onto Luna's shoulder with a sigh. "Why didn't you just let me fall? Nopony would have missed me."

"My sister would have. The other Elements would have. Spike would have. Your brother and your parents would have. All the ponies who mourned for you would have."

"They already thought I was dead. Let it stay that way."

Luna's breath caught in her throat for a moment before she was able to reply. "I know how you feel."

Twilight frowned. "You're not a monster."

"And the dark mare that overthrew the sun for her own gain was not myself?" Luna laughed softly. "The time since my return has lessened your memories, I see."

"But you weren't an... an abomination!"

"Of course the Alicorn, with pelt dark as night and feathers sharp as daggers was not a monster, despite her fangs, dragon's eyes and nebulous hair." Luna's eyes closed in memory as her wings tilted to catch a thermal. "Tell me, Sparkle, what between us is so different?"

The air between them grew sharp with tension as Twilight hissed in a breath.

"You had a chance to be redeemed." The kirin whispered.

Luna rose past the last of the clouds, nothing above the two but the wide expanse of night and a sea of glittering stars. The moon shone low on the opposite horizon, a beacon shining bright against the stark lines of the Unicorn Mountains.

"Do you know what your job was meant to be?"

Twilight shook her head.

"You were meant to be the Princess of Stars. You were the link between my sister's day and my own night. You were destined from the day you got your Cutie Mark to aid in my daily burden. You were to paint the stars."

"So?"

Luna flinched, eyes narrowing momentarily. "Sparkle, do you know what stars are?"

"Well, there's never been anything in the textbooks, but I from extensive research, I think I've discovered that they are giant balls of burning gas floating in space millions of miles away."

"They're the souls of the lost." Luna replied sharply. "Every single pony, when they die, is given a place in the sky so they can look down upon the ones they love, and the ones they love can look back. Wishing on stars is only fruitful when the star you wished on was somepony you loved."

Twilight frowned, mentally dismissing hours upon hours of studies and telescope adjustment.

"The Princess of Stars is the pony who guides the lost souls into the heavens, and brings the wishes of those in mourning to their lost loves."

"I'm the Grim Reaper?"

Luna continued, ignoring her. "There were many wishes addressed to you that night, many confessions and stories. The amount of ponies who wished you good passing were nearly overwhelmed by tales of ponies who found themselves strangely related to your pain.

"Ponies who had been marred by accidents, who had befallen tragedy, who had thought themselves triumphant before losing everything, who had lost. They all told the stars that they wanted you to be happy in their stead, because they were ordinary and they could bear their hurt. I had to gather every 'wish' and bring them back down the earth to keep from losing them."

Twilight frowned, but something she hadn't felt for a long time flared up in her chest.

"The thing is, Sparkle," Luna concluded, "I think Equestria needs you more than you know."

The two flew on in silence, Luna slowly turning and flying back towards Canterlot.

"Fluttershy thinks I'm a monster." Twilight blurted.

Luna nodded. "She is hurt more than you know. She wished for you to come back that night, and has wished every night since. But she has always wished for you the way you were. She may not have told you, but she was insulted so much for being 'different' as a filly that she wanted no other pony to bear that burden. She wants you imprisoned for your own good."

"But-"

"Her actions may be misguided, but her heart is in the right place. Give her time."

Twilight gently spread her wings, crouching precariously on the Lunar Princess's back. She dipped willingly, and Twilight flew up above her, dropping down to match her pace once her wings warmed up.

"How much time, Luna? How will I know when she's accepted me the way I am?"

Luna frowned pensively. "Maybe the same amount you gave her to think you were gone."

With that, she dipped a wing and banked lower towards Canterlot, leaving Twilight scrambling to keep up in her wake.

-----

Celestia smiled gently as two ponies she had come to know very well were ushered into the room.

One looked somewhat disheveled by the rapid travel and probably her inability to pack fully, and was running a small comb through her mane to try and tame it. The other looked at the ground.

"Miss Rarity, Miss Pinkamena."

Rarity looked up, promptly bowing. Pinkie simply tilted her head so her mane hung further over her face.

"I know your travel here was rather impromptu, but please allow yourselves each a room in the guest suites and stay the night. There is an announcement tomorrow that you may wish to hear."

The Solar Princess had to withhold calling out as the two ponies softly left the room, absently following a mare who had come to guide them to their rooms.

-----

Twilight landed on Luna's balcony, the Princess having given her no other place to fly to. She settled, claws wrapped around the railing, and waited for Luna to open the doors inside.

Instead, she trotted over to a large telescope, fiddled some dials, and began scanning the sky.

"What are you doing?"

Luna glanced up, scribbling down notes in a small pad beside the telescope. "I'm checking my sky."

"For what?"

"Anything, really." Luna leaned forward into the eyepiece. "My sister's day has a cluttered schedule, but not many ponies need court at night."

Twilight loosened her claws on the metal bars, spreading her wings to balance better. "So you just sit out here, all the time?"

"Just most of it. Sometimes I vanquish nightmares, sometimes I read, sometimes I try to find cats in the city."

"Cats?"

"Sister likes them." Luna clarified. "They aren't allowed in the official courtrooms, but they've nearly infested everywhere else."

The two sat in silence, Twilight shuffling around until she shared the same slice of night that Luna's telescope did. The gentlest edges of dawn seemed to creep up in no time at all, and Luna finally yawned and allowed Twilight into her quarters.

Luna's room was a dark blue, speckled with pale spots of white that Twilight quickly noticed had been painted to glow in the dark. Dim bookshelves lined most of the room, and a large star map covered the wall opposite Luna's bed. She didn't have too much time to gape, however, as Luna quickly shoved her out into the hallway with a dark blue robe.

"Sister wants you to join her for a private meeting today. She'll meet you in the Royal Archives at noon."

Twilight pulled on the cloak - momentarily wondering how something so thick could be so light - and trotted down the hallway, book radar in full swing.

-----

Pinkie's ears flicked up as somepony knocked on her door. "Hello?"

"I'm kind of lost, and, um..."

Pinkie blew a strand of long, straight hair out of her face and got up, trotting over to see just who could get lost with so many guards around. She opened the door.

"Oh, um, Pinkie!" Fluttershy took a step back. "H-hello!"

"Fluttershy?"

Three more ponies appeared from the hidden hallway, each grinning. "Surprise!"

"Applejack? Rainbow Dash? Rarity?!" Pinkie's mane quickly inflated as she smiled with them. "It's been five-ever, like forever but longer!"

Rarity laughed. "I couldn't resist not giving you a party of your own. You looked so upset last night."

"I didn't even know you guys were here!" Rainbow laughed. "I thought Rarity's room was my one."

"So you guys all met up without me?" Pinkie threatened to frown, and Applejack's head shook.

"Nah, we only found each other a coupl'a minutes ago."

Still, Pinkie's smile wavered. "I just wish Twilight was here too..."

The two Pegasi exchanged a quick glance as Applejack sighed. "Pinkie, there's something we have to tell you."

"Are you five the Elements of Harmony?" A pegasus guard flew down the hallway, armor glinting. "The Princess has requested your presence at breakfast."

Applejack cast a meaningful look towards Pinkie, but nodded. Without another word, the guard turned and led them away down the hallway.

-----

"Are you Miss Twilight Twinkle?"

Twilight glanced over at the librarian, an old mare who was leaning precariously over her desk. "Yes, I am."

The mare smiled. "Well, the Princess has granted you free range over the library for today. I wanted to stay behind, but she says that it's high time for me to take a vacation. Read whatever you want, dearie, but make sure no young rapscallions get their hooves on the books!"

Twilight watched as the mare teetered out into the hallway, shutting the door with a soft click.

"Hm. I get to sit alone in a library all day?" She looked around at the faded shelves, the musty air clinging to her muzzle. "Yay!"

"I wouldn't say 'alone', Twilight Twinkle."

She glanced up, seeing a particularly familiar gray head peering over one of the shelves. "Discord. I forgot they keep you here."

He laughed. "Didn't even need the three guesses I was about to give you! How's my favorite little monster doing, hm?"

"Leave me alone." Twilight sighed, trotting past him.

"That's rather harsh."

"Fine. You can stay if you help me out."

Discord frowned. "Helping's not really my thing, you know."

"I needed to access the Starswirl the Bearded wing."

"Hm, it'd be way more fun to watch you do it yourself."

Twilight raised her eyebrows. "Chaos magic."

"I'm in."

Author's Note:

Don't worry, he's here for a reason.