• Published 28th Feb 2012
  • 8,900 Views, 858 Comments

New Discoveries - Phantom Shadow



The Cutie Mark Crusaders have been the best of friends for the longest time now. Therefore, it'd only be natural for one of them to begin to develop feelings for another...right?

  • ...
31
 858
 8,900

Chapter 18: Incertitude

Rarity watched as her sister began making her way towards the schoolhouse. All the while, she kept her distance, making sure that Sweetie Belle didn’t see her or hear her presence. The curiosity and suspicion was over-clouding her judgment now; she knew she shouldn’t be doing this, especially after promising that she wouldn’t, but she needed answers and this was the only way she was going to get them. She was tired of being left in the dark in this whole situation. As a result, she followed her sister, hoping to get some clarification for all of this.

Soon, Sweetie Belle reached the school. However, the suspicion in Rarity aroused even more when she saw that she didn’t go to the front door. Instead, she went to the side of the building and ducked down behind some bushes. Then, she watched as she waited there, almost like she was expecting somepony to show up.

When she saw that the filly had hidden herself on the side of the school, she decided to keep her distance as much as she could and avoid being seen. So, Rarity hid herself in the bushes that were several paces away. Although she felt it was unorthodox to be hiding in bushes from her sister, she knew that it would all be worth; the ends justifies the means, she told herself.

“What are you up to?” she asked herself, loud enough for only her to hear, “Who are you waiting for? Why are you hiding? What exactly is going on?”

Knowing the answers were going to come in time, she did the only thing she could do now: wait for whoever Sweetie Belle was waiting for to show up.


“Okay, Sweetie Belle, you can do this,” she said to herself, as she took several deep breaths to try and ease her heart, “Just tell her how you feel and it’ll all be over.”

The entire way to the school, the only thing she had on her mind was thinking of how she was going to tell Scootaloo the truth about her feelings for her. However, every time she tried to think of a possible way of telling her, all she’d come up with was nothing. She had no idea how she was going to go about doing this.

“Just remember what Princess Luna said,” she reminded herself, as she continued to breathe heavily, “Just follow what my heart says and everything will be fine. Love always finds a way. Just follow my heart.”

She let out a soft sigh and said, “If only my heart would stop pounding long enough to tell me how to do this.”

No sooner did the words leave her mouth that the sound of rumbling came from above. As she looked up, she saw that the storm clouds were almost over Ponyville. It was only a matter of time before it would start to rain. However, she tried not to let that discourage her. She knew that waiting until the storm passed would be worse than this. As a result, she took several deep breaths and continued to think of how she was going to tell her friend the truth.


A few hours had pasted now, and for Sweetie Belle, the anxiety of what she was about to do began to overflow her body. Her breathing was heavy, her eyesight was dulled and her heart was racing. Over the course of the few hours, she tried her best to think of a way to tell her friend the truth. However, even in those few hours she waited, she still came up with nothing.

Maybe this isn’t a good idea, she thought to herself. Maybe I should just forget the whole thing and wait a little longer to-

Before she could even finish her thought, she was startled when the giant school bell began ringing. At this point, it was too late to back out now. There was no turning back; she had to face this now, or let the panic destroy her until the incoming storm passed. Knowing that the latter of the two was worse, she took one last deep breath and agreed to herself to do this.

It wasn’t long before the fillies and colts began trotting out of the school. She watched as everypony walked out and dispersed from one another. Soon, she saw the filly in question, Scootaloo, walking out of the school with Apple Bloom. When she saw her, she remained hidden, waiting for the two of them to separate from one another. All the while, her heart was pounding in her chest, hurting her ribcage.

“I’ll see you tomorrow, Apple Bloom,” said Scootaloo, as she began trotting over to the other side of the school towards her scooter.

“See ya tomorrow,” the yellow earth pony said, as she began walking away from her friend.

Sweetie Belle watched as Apple Bloom began walking away. Then, she directed her attention to Scootaloo, who was putting on her helmet and was getting ready to leave via her scooter. Convinced that the earth pony was out of earshot, she trotted out from the side of the school and approached the Pegasus filly.

“Hey, Scootaloo,” she said, almost in a whisper that she didn’t intend to make.

Immediately, Scootaloo raised her head up and saw the unicorn filly approach her. As she did, a smile came across her face.

“Hey, Sweetie Belle,” she said, as she got off her scooter, “What are you doing here? I thought Rarity had you under ‘house arrest’ for a while. Did you sneak out of or something?”

“She did,” the white unicorn said, her voice still low. All the while, she tried her best not to maintain eye contact with her, at least not yet. “And no, I didn’t. She let me out earlier than she planned to, which is good, I guess.”

“That’s great,” she replied, a smile still on her face, “But, what are you doing here?”

“Well, you see...I...um...” she stammered, directing her attention to her hooves, “I wanted to...um...talk to you about...something...if that’s alright.”

“Um, sure,” said the Pegasus filly, as she raised an eyebrow, “What’s up?”

“Can...can we talk somewhere more...more...private?”

“Okay...” she said, her eyes slightly squinting, “We can go to my house.”

“Actually, can we go somewhere...you know...more private?”

Scootaloo tapped her hoof on her chin. She didn’t know anywhere more private than her own home. Before she could fathom another thought on a location, she decided to ask the only question that came to mind.

“Why?” she asked, her eyebrows furrowing, “What’s going on?”

“It’s...it’s private...you know...” the unicorn said, still not looking at her, “I’ll tell you, but...but...we need to be...alone.”

Scootaloo began to feel uncomfortable about the way she was acting. A part of her was telling her that something was wrong, but she couldn’t pinpoint what it was. However, she knew the only way she was going to get any answers was to bring her friend somewhere “more private”.

“How about the clubhouse?” she suggested, “We can get Apple Bloom along the way and...”

“The clubhouse is fine,” she interrupted, “But I...I just need to talk to...to you...nopony else...just...just you”

“Okay...sure,” she said, as she got on her scooter, “You want a ride?”

“N-no thanks,” she stammered, her cheeks feeling warm.

Scootaloo shrugged and began riding her scooter alongside of Sweetie Belle, flapping her tiny wings at just the right speed so that she wasn’t going too fast or too slow.

The two of them began making their way down the dirt path toward Sweet Apple Acres. As they walked in silence, Sweetie Belle decided to try and ease the tension in her heart by starting a basic conversation with Scootaloo.

“So, Scootaloo,” she said, trying her best not to sound nervous, “Did you fix your scooter yet?”

“Not yet,” she replied, turning he attention from the road to the unicorn.

“Then, why are you riding it?”

“Well, with the storm that’s on approach, it seemed much better to ride it broken than risk going home in the rain.”

“Oh,” was the only response Sweetie Belle could say to her. Unfortunately for her, she didn’t have anything more to say. What made it even worse was that she felt the weight of Scootaloo’s gaze beating down on her. It was enough to make any train of thought she had vanish in a second.

With nothing more to say, Scootaloo raised her eyebrow at Sweetie Belle once more before she shrugged her shoulders and focused her attention back on the main road. All the while, the suspicion she felt continued to flow through her body. Something didn’t seem right about all this, but she decided to go along with it; maybe she was going to tell her something about Scott, she figured. Not wanting to get her hopes up just to have them crushed in the end, she rode next to the unicorn filly, silence dawning on the both of them.