• Published 28th Feb 2012
  • 8,898 Views, 858 Comments

New Discoveries - Phantom Shadow



The Cutie Mark Crusaders have been the best of friends for the longest time now. Therefore, it'd only be natural for one of them to begin to develop feelings for another...right?

  • ...
31
 858
 8,898

Chapter 8: New Feelings

Sweetie Belle felt that all-too-familiar feeling, the feeling of hearing distant voices and seeing nothing but black. She slowly opened her eyelids to see a light overhead and a silhouette of a pony standing over her. As she slowly came to, her blurry vision becoming clearer and clearer, she noticed that the pony was none other than her sister, Rarity.

As her vision became steady, her memories began coming back. She began recollecting what had happened. The last thing she remembered was Scootaloo, and then the tree, and then nothing but black. She wanted to say something, but she couldn't think of anything to say. What could she say?

"Sweetie Belle? Sweet'ums?" she heard her sister ask. As she blinked two or three more times, she looked around to see where exactly she was.

She saw that she was in a hospital bed. She was hooked up to a heart monitor, which slowly beeped in unison with her heart beat. Sweetie felt there was an air tube hooked to her nose. When she felt the tube with a hoof, she felt that her nose was wrapped in bandaging. When she touched her nose and felt a sharp pain from doing so, she began to feel the other smaller wounds on her face begin to sting. They weren't anything extravagant, just a few cuts and bruises, but they still hurt nonetheless.

"Oh Sweetie," Rarity said with a smile, "I'm so glad you're alright! You had me so worried!"

She felt her arms wrap lightly around her body in an embrace. Slightly disorientated, Sweetie Belle returned the hug, weakly smiling.

"What happened? How did I get here?" she asked, her voice low and soft.

"Well, you were playing with your friends when you accidentally ran into a tree," explained Rarity, "Scootaloo and Apple Bloom told Applejack and they rushed you here. Then, they came and told me what happened. You're nose isn't broken, but you banged it very hard, enough to knock yourself out."

In truth, Sweetie Belle remembered what had happened to her. However, as a way of avoiding any questioning of what happened to cause her to run into the tree in the first place, she pretended like she had forgotten.

After a short moment, Applejack walked in. She, like Rarity, had a smile on her face. Having been the one who rushed her to the hospital, she was just as relieved to see that she was alright as Rarity was.

"Hey, sugar cube," she said, trotting over to her bedside, "The nurse pony just told us you were alright. How ya feelin', sugar?"

"Fine, I guess," Sweetie Belle said, "My head is still throbbing and my nose is aching but I'm alright."

"Good to hear, sugar" said Applejack, as she offered a light hug, "Ya'll had us worried so much. Ah'm just relieved that you're awake and alright."

"Us?" asked Sweetie Belle, mainly to herself rather than Applejack. As if on cue, Apple Bloom and Scootaloo both walked in, both of them with a guilty look on their faces. There wasn't any doubt in Sweetie Belle's mind that the two fillies blamed themselves for what happened. However, she knew that it wasn't their fault; it's not like they made her run into the tree, just unintentionally.

"Hey, Sweetie Belle," said Apple Bloom as she approached her. Her voice was low and soft but a weak smile was on her face. When she was by her side, she gave her a small hug.

"Ah'm really sorry 'bout what happened," she said as she patted her back softly.

"Don't worry about it," said Sweetie Belle, "It wasn't your fault, it was mine."

Then, Scootaloo came up to her side. Her eyes were puffy and red, most likely from the tears she had been shedding. A small wave of guilt came over the unicorn filly; in a way, Scootaloo was the cause of all of this, but she couldn't really blame her for it. After all, she did try to warn her, but she was too wrapped in her own feelings at the time to realize it.

"I'm so sorry, Sweetie Belle," she said, trying her best not to cry anymore, "It was my fault! I should have stopped you! I should have warned you sooner! I tried to warn you, but by the time I did, it was too late! It's all my fault!"

"It's not your fault," she replied, not able to make eye contact with her, "You did warn me, but I didn't hear you. It's not like you made me..."

She was immediately interrupted when the orange Pegasus wrapped her arms around her in an embrace. However, it wasn't the hug that had stopped her in a heartbeat. What prevented her from speaking was the feeling that overcame her from the filly's embrace.

Coursing through her entire body was a feeling of warmth and compassion, comfort and security. It felt as if everything hurting her at the moment just vanished. Like before, time seemed to halt to a stop, everything but the two of them. Her once rapid heart seemed to calm to normal again. For some reason, she felt as if there was nothing wrong at all. If it wasn't for the beeping of the heart monitor, she might have actually forgotten she was in the hospital.

When she released her embrace, Scootaloo wiped the remaining tears from her eyes. Sweetie Belle tried her best not to look into her eyes, but focused her attention in her direction.

Before anything could be said, the nurse pony came in, a white mare with a light gray mane and a red cross as a Cutie Mark. When she did, all the other ponies backed away, allowing the nurse enough room to work. She checked her vitals and all her tests to make she was alright.

"Well, she has some bruising on her face and slight injury in her nose. She's a very lucky filly," she explained, mainly to Rarity, "We're surprised there's nothing broken or anything. She must have hit the tree pretty hard to knock herself out but managed to sustain no serious injuries. She'll have to stay overnight, just so we're sure there isn't any head trauma, but she'll be able to leave tomorrow afternoon at the earliest."

"Thank you, Nurse Redheart," said Rarity, "I really appreciate it."

With that, the nurse nodded and left to complete her rounds with the other patients. Rarity let out a sigh, relieved to know that her sister was going to be alright and that she'll be leaving soon.

"Well, Sweetie Belle," said Rarity, "Like the nurse said, you're a very lucky filly to have not sustained any major injury."

"Darn right," agreed Applejack, "Must've really been bookin' it to have knocked yerself out like that. Hard to believe it happened all because of a sill ol' race."

"It's alright," said Sweetie Belle. She nervously looked around the room. She didn't know why but she felt the need to be alone for a little while; long enough to help get her thoughts back together. "Um...if you don't mind...I...I'd like to get a little rest. I feel a little dizzy and need to rest my head for a while."

"Okay, Sweet'ums," said Rarity as she gave her another hug, "I'll be right in the waiting room if you need me. I love you."

"I love you, too," said Sweetie Belle, as she returned the hug. She bid the others goodbye until tomorrow, when she got out. She watched as they all left the room, one at a time. Soon, she was alone and able to get her head on straight.

"What's happening to me?" she said aloud, as she rested her head on the pillow, "Why is this happening? Of all the times this could happen, why is it happening now?"

Sweetie Belle looked at the ceiling and let out a deep sigh. At the moment, she felt fear, worried, and scared beyond all belief. She closed her eyes softly and lightly rubbed a hoof on her aching head.

"What was that feeling I felt when she held me?" she asked aloud, "Why did I feel it with her? Why was I so comforted by Scootaloo and not anypony else? Not even Rarity, my own sister, made me feel like that! What is happening to me?"

She opened her eyes and looked at the ceiling again. She felt small droplets of tears began to stream out of the corners of her eyes. She sighed and asked the only questions that scrambled around in her head; the only questions that seemed appropriate and that made any sense to her.

"Is...is this love? Am I really in love...with Scootaloo?"