• Published 28th Feb 2012
  • 8,897 Views, 858 Comments

New Discoveries - Phantom Shadow



The Cutie Mark Crusaders have been the best of friends for the longest time now. Therefore, it'd only be natural for one of them to begin to develop feelings for another...right?

  • ...
31
 858
 8,897

Chapter 5: Confrontation

Sweetie Belle's eyes fluttered as the sunlight woke her the next morning. The sun peaked through her window and beamed down on the tiny filly, causing her to wake up. When she was up, she stretched and decided to make her way to the kitchen for some breakfast. However, before she opened her bedroom door, she froze in mid-step.

She remembered what had happened last night and what Rarity had said to her. She wanted to talk to her about the "new friend" she had made up and was very keen on meeting him. Sweetie Belle's heart began to race. The last thing she wanted was to be confronted about all this. There had to be some way to avoid her, slip out the door without Rarity seeing her.

Just then, a thought came to mind. She decided to try and slip out the back door without Rarity knowing she left. Although she didn't want to deceive her sister like that, she knew it was easier to apologize later than explain what happened now.

"Okay, I can do this," she whispered to herself, "She's probably in the kitchen right now, either preparing breakfast or waiting for me. In either case, I just have to slip out the back and I'll be free!"

As she opened the door, her heart froze in an instant as she gasped in surprise. Standing there was Rarity, her hoof raised in the air like she was ready to knock on the door at the same exact moment as she was opening it.

"Oh, good morning, Sweetie," she said as she lowered her hoof and smiled, "I was just about to come get you. Breakfast is waiting for us downstairs."

"Yeah...thanks," she muttered, as she slowly began trotting to the kitchen, her sister trailing behind.

Well, so much for that, she thought, as the two of them entered the kitchen. Still, there has to be a way to avoid talking about it. My best option is to not bring it up. Maybe she forgot all about it!

They both sat at the table and enjoyed their breakfast together. The two of them sat in silence the entire time, hardly making eye contact with each other. Sweetie Belle tried her best to put on a smile, but it was pretty obvious that it was more forced than it was natural.

After breakfast was done, the two unicorns began cleaning up. Sweetie Belle put the dishes in the sink while Rarity began cleaning up the rest. While the older of the two began rinsing the plates, Sweetie Belle began to trot out of the room as quietly and softly as she could, praying all the while that Rarity didn't hear her.

It doesn’t seem like she remembered, she thought as a feeling of victory came across her. All I have to do is get out of here and I’ll be...

"Not so fast, Sweet'ums" Rarity called in singsong, freezing the filly in her tracks, "We still need to talk, remember?"

"How can I forget?" she mumbled, letting out a sigh of defeat. At this point, any chance of escaping seemed hopeless. She figured that it was best to face her sister now, even though she didn't want to nor did she know how to break it to her.

After she cleaned the plates and the rest of the kitchen, Rarity brought Sweetie Belle to her "inspiration room" again. When they got there, Rarity closed the door and sat on her haunches in front of the small filly.

"So," began Rarity, "Do tell me how you met this colt-friend of yours."

Sweetie's heart beat so hard that she could have sworn it skipped a beat. "Colt-friend? Whoever said it was a colt-friend?"

"Call him whatever you like," she said, "Just tell me how you two met."

Sweetie began shifting her eyes back and forth. She tried to think of a good story, at least one to get her older sister off her back for a while.

"We just met...at...at..." she stammered, fishing her mind for a place. Then, she blurted out the first thing that came to mind. "...at Sugar Cube Corner."

"Really?" asked Rarity, "Such an odd place to meet, but I suppose it's romantic nonetheless."

"Yeah," Sweetie muttered, "Romantic."

"Anyway, does he have his Cutie Mark yet?"

"No." The answer seemed to flow naturally since Scootaloo didn't have her Cutie Mark.

"Aww, how sweet," said Rarity as she closed her eyes in a romantic manor, "You two already have something in common! That's important in any relationship, you know."

The young filly shuttered at the word "relationship". In fact, the way Rarity was making such a big deal about this was causing her to shutter.

"So, do you plan on seeing him again?" Almost immediately, she let out a giggle and face-hoofed. "Why would I even ask a silly question like that? Of course you plan to see him again."

Sweetie Belle shifted her weight in an uncomfortable manor. She tried to look her sister in the eyes but was terrified to do so, mainly because she was afraid that Rarity would see through the lies she was telling.

"Well, if you're going to meet him again, you'll need to wear something presentable!" exclaimed Rarity, "Don't you worry, Sweet'ums. I'll whip you up something proper for your get-together with..."

Rarity stopped in mid-sentence as realization struck. "You know what? You never did tell me his name."

If it wasn't for the fact that she was totally scared and nervous, she probably would have screamed. Her eyes turned into tiny marbles as sweat began drizzling down her face. Out of all the questions she could have asked, this was the heaviest of them all.

"Well," Rarity prompted, "What's the lucky colt's name, dear?"

"Oh...uh...it's...it's...um..." she stammered, her eyes shooting back and forth like bullets. On a normal occasion, she probably would have said the first name she thought of; colt names were not that hard to think of. However, given the circumstances she was in, every time she was about to say a name, her thoughts all drew back to the same name: Scootaloo.

As the filly continued to stammer, Rarity raised an eyebrow and cocked her head. "You DO know his name, don't you, Sweetie?"

"Of course I do. It's...um..."

Her thoughts were just screaming the name over and over again.

"It's..."

Scootaloo

"It's..."

Scootaloo

"It's..."

SCOOTALOO

Unable to say anything, she blurted out the only thing that sounded relatively close, but distant at the same time. However, it came out almost like a question rather than a statement.

"...Scott?"

"Scott?" asked Rarity, her eyebrow still raised.

"Yeah," she quickly replied, "Scott."

Rarity tapped a hoof on her chin, lost in thought. "I didn't know there was a 'Scott' in Ponyville. Is he new to town?"

"Yeah, yeah, that's it!" she exclaimed, "He's not from here! He's from...um...somewhere else, somewhere far away from Ponyville!"

"Well, that's nice, I think," said Rarity, "Anyway, when are you going to introduce me to Scott?"

Sweetie Belle replied, "Soon."

Rarity, quite shocked at her response, asked, "You mean you're not seeing him today?"

"No! I'm going...Crusading today...with...with Apple Bloom and...and..."

Now this was very unusual for her. Just two seconds ago, her mind would have had her shout the name out at the top of her lungs. Now, she couldn't bring herself to say it.

"Scootaloo?" asked Rarity, raising her eyebrow again.

"Yeah," she said, lowering her head.

Unable to do anything, Rarity shrugged and said, "Very well, then."

A feeling of relief rushing over her, Sweetie Belle smiled and began bolting out the door, almost too fast for comfort. Rarity watched as the young filly ran out of the room, down the stairs and out the front door. An unsure look began to grow on her face as she looked out the window, watching her sister run into town.

"I don't feel comfortable about this, Opalescence," she said, talking to her pet cat that was sleeping underneath the window, "I need to know more about this 'Scott' pony, but how?"

She tapped her hoof on her chin again. "Sweetie Belle seems reluctant to talk to me, no doubt feeling uncomfortable about my approval. So, I need to find out from somepony else, somepony who I can trust with this kind of information and who can give me the information I need...and I know just who to ask about this."

With that, she took a saddle bag, put a notebook and a pen inside, placed it on her back and made her way into Ponyville, hoping her 'source' would be able to tell her everything about this mysterious pony named Scott.