• Published 28th Feb 2012
  • 8,903 Views, 858 Comments

New Discoveries - Phantom Shadow



The Cutie Mark Crusaders have been the best of friends for the longest time now. Therefore, it'd only be natural for one of them to begin to develop feelings for another...right?

  • ...
31
 858
 8,903

Chapter 12: Song and Dance

“WHAT?” her little voice squeaked in an extremely high-pitched way, as she spun around to face the two grinning fillies.

Sweetie Belle’s heart was racing the moment the question came out of Scootaloo’s mouth. She hadn’t expected them to know anything about what was happening nor was she ready for it. Sweat began forming in the back of her neck as the two fillies began approaching.

Immediately, she turned her back on the two of them again and said nervously, “I...I don’t know...what you’re talking about...”

“Don’t play dumb with us, Sweetie Belle,” said Scootaloo as she stood next to her, “We know all about you and your secret crush!”

Apple Bloom sat on the bed and asked, “Why didn’t ya tell us ‘bout him, Sweetie Belle?”

Unsure of what to do, the unicorn filly slowly got into her bed and tried her best to hide her blushing cheeks. She didn’t want to talk about this now in the first place, let alone to her two best friends. They weren’t Rarity; it’d take a LOT more than witty word-play to get these two off her back.

“Well...I...uh...” she stammered as she tried to hide her burning red cheeks from her two friends. She tried to come up with some sort of answer to the earth pony’s question but only one question that she had kept clouding her mind. Unable to think straight, she decided to ask it, hoping that it would clear her mind in the very least. “How did you guys find out?”

Immediately, Scootaloo and Apple Bloom broke out in smiles and giggles.

“So it IS true! I knew it! I knew it!” said the orange Pegasus, her small wings fluttering.

“Yer sister told my sister,” said Apple Bloom, answering her question, “Don’t you worry yerself, none! Scootaloo and ah ‘Pinkie Promised’ not to tell anypony about it! Now, tell us why you didn’t tell us ‘bout him!”

“Well...” Sweetie Belle stammered, “I...I...I don’t know why...sorry?”

“It’s okay, Sweetie Belle,” said Apple Bloom, “So, do tell us a little bit ‘bout him! What’s he like?”

“He’s...um...well...” she stammered, trying to think of something, “He’s...very...nice and...um...kind...and...and...sweet?”

“Look at her,” said Apple Bloom, directing her attention to Scootaloo, “She’s so much in love with him that she can hardly talk about him!”

“Aww,” replied Scootaloo, “You’re such a lucky filly! I wish I had a crush on somepony...or somepony to have a crush on me! That would be so cool!”

“Yeah...cool.” mumbled Sweetie Belle. She couldn’t help but slightly chuckle from the irony of the statement.

“So, where’s he from?” asked Scootaloo.

“Oh...uh...he’s from...um...” she said, remembering what she had told Rarity, “Far away from Ponyville. He’s kind of...new...to town.”

“Well, we knew that!” said the Pegasus filly, “Where’s he from, you know, before he came to Ponyville?”

Sweetie Belle’s eyes darted back and forth, frantically. She searched her mind for a city that was far away from Ponyville, one where they wouldn’t be able to perform a background check of any kind.

She had thought about Mane-hattan, but she knew Applejack went there as a filly; Apple Bloom would begin questioning her sister about him in an instant. She had considered saying Canterlot, but since they had made frequent visits to and from there, they would instantly recall nopony named “Scott”. She even considered Appleoosa, a western town that was far away from Ponyville. However, since Applejack and her friends went there, and because it was such a small town, they’d know if a “Scott” lived there or not.

Eventually, she came up with a city that was far away from Ponyville, somewhere that nopony, not even Twilight Sparkle or her friends had ever been to yet!

“Los Pegasus,” she said, forcing a huge grin on her face, sweat continuing to form in the back of her neck.

The moment the name was said, Apple Bloom and Scootaloo looked at each other in amazement. Their eyes were wide with disbelief and surprise while their mouths were widened with huge grins.


Rarity, who was listening in, also had eyes widened in amazement. Out of all the places she was thinking Scott was from, she never would have guessed there.

“Los Pegasus?” she asked herself in a quiet whisper, “The place where all the famous ponies go, like movie stars, famous actors, producers, and celebrity ponies!”

She took a step back to let out a few shallow breaths. She was almost hyperventilating, mainly from the fact that Sweetie Belle, her own sister, was in love with a colt from one of the wealthiest and ritziest places in Equestria, even wealthier and ritzier than Canterlot!

“My, my, my,” she continued to whisper to herself, “Sweetie Belle sure knows how to pick them! I can’t believe it! This is just...amazing!”

The moment she heard murmuring from the other side of the door, she pressed her ear against it again and continued to listen in.


“So, what are some of his hobbies?” asked Scootaloo, a smile on her face.

Again, Sweetie Belle, not making eye contact with her, fished for an answer. As she did, an idea came to mind: if Scootaloo and Scott were the same pony, then there would be nothing wrong with making them almost the same, right?

“Oh...uh...he’s really into...” she began, looking in her direction but not directly at her, “Extreme sports and stuff, you know?”

“Really?” asked the orange filly, “Sounds like my kind of guy! Better be careful, Sweetie Belle! You might be in for some competition!”

The three fillies laughed at the joke, even though Sweetie Belle’s was more of a forced laugh than a natural one.

“So, does he have his Cutie Mark yet?” asked Apple Bloom, still recovering from her laughter.

“No,” she replied quickly. Like with Rarity, the answer flowed more naturally, since Scootaloo didn’t have her Cutie Mark yet.

“That’s so cool! You already have something in common!” said Scootaloo, “That’s important in any relationship, you know!”

The unicorn filly’s heart began to race again; that was the same exact statement Rarity made. It was uncomfortable when her sister had said it, but now that Scootaloo was saying, the pony that was really the one in question, it made her want to throw up.

“Hey, he should totally join us!” said Apple Bloom, “The Cutie Mark Crusaders could definitely use another member.”

Sweetie Belle’s eyes became pin-points.

“Yeah! That would be totally awesome!” said Scootaloo, “Maybe he has some ideas on how to get out Cutie Marks, ideas that we haven’t even thought of!”

As Scootaloo and Apple Bloom high-hoofed and laughed, the sweat drizzling down Sweetie Belle’s face began stinging her eyes. Before she could protest against the action, her two filly friends said, in unison, the only thing that could make her feel worse than she already was.

You’ve gotta introduce us to him!

The unicorn filly covered her face with the blanket as much as she could. Her cheeks were so hot that she was certain the blanket was going to catch on fire. However, there was a small flicker of relief at their statement, mainly because she had a way out of it.

“Oh, I’d really like to,” she said, not looking at either of them, “But Rarity placed me under ‘house arrest’ for a few days, so I can’t. Still healing, you know?”

“Oh, right,” they both said, looking down at the blanket before them. They were so caught up in their excitement that they had forgotten that she had been released from the hospital that afternoon and was still healing.

“Well, when you get outta here, you’ve gotta introduce us to him!” said Apple Bloom, as she turned to look at her, “He sounds like a really interestin’ colt!”

“Totally!” agreed Scootaloo, “He sounds like a cool pony to me!”

“Yeah,” said Sweetie Belle, as she looked down at the blanket.

“Well, we’ll leave you to get some rest,” said Apple Bloom, as she and Scootaloo began making their way to the door, “I can’t wait to meet Scott!”

As the words left her mouth, Scootaloo stopped walking and began tapping her hoof on her chin again. “I don’t know why, but really feels like I know that name from somewhere. It sounds very, very familiar.”

Scootaloo shrugged as she and the earth pony opened the door, bid Sweetie Belle goodbye and left. Finally feeling relief from what had just transpired, Sweetie Belle let out a relieved sigh and rested her head on her pillow.

“I don’t think I can do this for much longer,” she said, loud enough for only her to hear. She stared at the ceiling, her eyes slowly beginning to well up. “I don’t know what to do. I just don’t know what to do.”

With all that had just happened, Sweetie Belle turned on her side and pulled the covers over her head, as a few small droplets of tears, slowly, streamed down her cheeks.