• Published 28th Feb 2012
  • 8,898 Views, 858 Comments

New Discoveries - Phantom Shadow



The Cutie Mark Crusaders have been the best of friends for the longest time now. Therefore, it'd only be natural for one of them to begin to develop feelings for another...right?

  • ...
31
 858
 8,898

Chapter 16: Remorsefulness

Rarity awoke the next morning by the sound of somepony ringing the doorbell of the Boutique. The loud chime startled the white unicorn to the point where she screamed and fell off the chair, where she had fallen asleep the night before. Her heart pounding from the sudden awakening, she looked over to the clock on her desk. When she saw that it was already 10 o’clock, Rarity grabbed her robe with her magic, put it on, and headed downstairs to open the door to the Boutique.

Heading down the stairs, she trotted over to the door and opened it. When she did, she was surprised to see Applejack standing there.

“Howdy, Rarity,” she said when she opened the door for her, “How’ve ya been?”

“Applejack,” said Rarity, “What a pleasant surprise. What brings you here?”

“Well, ah came to see how you and Sweetie Belle were doin’ is all. Ah haven’t seen her in a while and was wonderin’ if she was alright. May ah come in?”

“Of course,” the unicorn said, moving out of the way for the earth pony, “Forgive me for my appearance, darling. I fell asleep while working on a new dress and didn’t realize I had slept in for so late.”

“No problem,” said AJ, “How about ah get breakfast started for us while you go pretty yerself up.”

With that, Rarity headed upstairs to clean herself up while Applejack began getting breakfast ready for them. After a seemingly long moment, Rarity came downstairs to accompany the workhorse. Whether it was through magic or not, Applejack couldn’t tell, but Rarity looked like she had just been through a big spa treatment. Her messy mane was back to its curly self again and the rest of her was in tip-top shape.

“So,” said Applejack, as she began cutting up some apples, “How’s Sweetie Belle doin’?”

“She’s alright,” said Rarity, letting out a deep sigh, “A little resistant, but alright.”

“Ah’m not surprised,” commented AJ, “Ah’d be a little ‘resistant’ if ah was under ‘house arrest’ like she is.”

Immediately, Rarity’s ears pricked upwards and her eyes widened with surprise. “How did you know about that?”

The earth pony let out a sigh as she said, “Well, Apple Bloom told me all ‘bout it. She also told me some information about Scott, which was the other reason ah came by.”

Rarity walked over to the table and sat down. Before Applejack said anything, she said, “Please understand that I’m only looking out for her well-being. I don’t really like keeping her under ‘house arrest’ but if that’s the only way her nose is going to get better, then it’s what has to be.”

“Ah understand and respect that,” said Applejack, as she began making oatmeal for them, “But ah just don’t think it’s fair to Sweetie Belle. Ah think you should trust her and let her out of this silly Boutique before she begins causing problems.”

Rarity let out a sigh, “I know I should, but I just can’t risk it. You know how careless she can be sometimes, especially when she and her friends are together. I had a hard enough time convincing myself to allow them to visit her yesterday.”

“All ah’m sayin’ is that you should consider releasing her sooner than you’d anticipated,” suggested Applejack, “If you think she’s resistant now, try picturin’ her in another day or two. At least think about it.”

Letting out a frustrated sigh, Rarity nodded her head and said, “I guess I’ll think about it.”

“Well, that’s better than nothin’,” the earth pony mumbled to herself. She knew how stubborn Rarity could be from time to time, and hearing a response like that was better than her not agreeing to it at all.

Rarity sat in silence as Applejack prepared their breakfast and set it on the table for the two of them. One thing the earth pony noticed about the white unicorn was that she wasn’t too interested in hearing what she had to say about Scott; the moment she said his name, she was certain she’d be all ears and begging her to tell her everything. However, even though it was mentioned, Rarity hadn’t said a word about it or even hinted that she wanted to know. She had a feeling that either Rarity didn’t care about knowing or she already knew about it.

As she sat down at the table, Applejack said, “Alright, Rarity, I can tell that ya already know somethin’ ‘bout Scott.”

Rarity felt her heart beginning to speed up. “Why, whatever do you mean, dear?” she asked as she took a sip of orange juice, trying to play innocent.

“Don’t play that card with me, Rarity,” stated the southern pony, “Not once have ya brought the subject up, even though I made a point in tellin’ you that ah knew somethin’ ‘bout him! So tell me, what do ya already know and how did ya find out?”

Rarity let out a defeated sigh. Apparently, Applejack knew her too well and wouldn’t let up until she told the truth. So, she decided it was best to drop the act and tell her what happened.

“Well, Apple Bloom and Scootaloo came over yesterday to visit with her,” the unicorn explained, “They went upstairs with her and closed the door behind them. I was worried that they were going to start their shenanigans and decided to check on them. However, as I was going to knock on the door to see if Sweetie was alright, I kinda...um...well...”

As she fondled one of the curls in her mane, she looked down at the table, guilt beginning to overcome her. Then, she took a breath and said, “I overheard them talking about Scott and began listening in on them. I know he’s from Los Pegasus, likes extreme sports and stuff, and is kind, sweet, and nice, according to Sweetie Belle.”

“Rarity!” Applejack said in shock, “Why the hay would you do somethin’ like that, invadin’ your sister’s private business like that? Ah mean, it’s bad enough you have me snoopin’ around in her business through Apple Bloom, but to listen in on her conversations? I’m surprised at ya, especially with all that talk about ‘being the element of generosity’ that you gave me the other day!”

“I know, I know,” said Rarity, a hint of guilt in her voice, “I didn’t mean to, but I couldn’t help myself! Once I heard his name, I knew she’d tell her friends everything. She keeps me in the dark about this stuff and, as her older sister, I have every right to know about him!”

The unicorn hung her head and sighed. “I know I shouldn’t have done that, but I just needed to know more about him. Like I said to you before, I don’t want to see her heart get broken by this pony. I don’t want to see her going down the same road I went.”

Applejack sighed and said, “I understand that, sugar cube, but ya need to remember that she’s very young and very new to this. She’ll let ya know when she feels the time is right. Now, ah’ll let this little mishaps slide, but promise me that you’ll never listen in on anymore of your sister’s private conversations.”

Rarity smiled and said, “I promise.”

With that, the two friends began eating their breakfast together. However, another thought had come to Applejack’s mind.

“Speaking of which, where is the little filly, anyway?” she asked, noticing that she wasn’t at the breakfast table.

“Oh, she’s upstairs,” said Rarity, as she took a spoonful of oatmeal, “She said she wasn’t hungry at the moment.”

No sooner did the words leave Rarity’s mouth that a distant rumble was heard from outside. The two ponies looked out the window to see the storm clouds slowly moving in towards Ponyville.

“Looks like it’s gonna be one doozy of a downpour,” said Applejack.

“Yes, it does,” agreed Rarity, “By the looks of it, we’ll only get small rain today, but tomorrow, or even tonight, we’ll get the full impact of the storm.”

“Oh yeah, that reminds me,” said the workhorse, directing her attention to Rarity, “Ah don’t suppose you’ve seen Rainbow Dash around lately. Ah wanted to ask her if she could make it rain a little more over by the farm to help the apples grow healthier and stronger, but ah haven’t seen her in a while.”

“Come to think of it, I haven’t seen her in quite some time,” said the unicorn.

“Oh horse-feathers,” said the orange pony, “That pony is never around when ya need her! Probably off somewhere nappin’, as usual! Well, if ya happen to come across her, can ya tell her that ah need to see her?”

“No problem,” said Rarity, as she used her magic to begin clearing off the table, “Oh and thank you for breakfast. It was wonderful.”

With that, Applejack got up, bid her friend goodbye and left. As Rarity began cleaning up, she began to think about what Applejack had said. The guilt of listening in on her sister’s conversation was still overcoming her. She knew there’d only be one way she could get the feeling off her chest, but she wasn’t going to like it.

“I know I really shouldn’t,” she said to herself, looking in the direction of her sister’s room, “But it’s for the best. I just hope I don’t regret this.”

With that, she finished washing the rest of the dishes, put them away, and began making her way up to her sister’s room, hoping that releasing her from ‘house arrest’ wasn’t going to be the biggest mistake of her life.