• Published 27th Jan 2013
  • 651 Views, 14 Comments

We have our Reasons... - dragon191917



Pony-kind has always looked to the stars with interest. Now they can reach them.

  • ...
3
 14
 651

Cariona IV

We shall know no fear...

***

This time, Twilight woke up in a cabin. It was about ten feet by fifteen feet, and had a nice bed and a desk.

Twilight got up, and noticed her pains were gone. She gazed at herself. All her wounds were cleaned and looked good. Healing magic, most likely.

She walked over to the door, only to find it locked. Apparently, Gilda didn't want her walking around the ship.

She then looked over at the small view-port in the wall opposite of the door. They were in a solar system. She didn't see any other ships. The planet below was green and lush, with large bodies of water.


She then turned her attention to the desk. It was immaculately clean, with a stack of parchment on one side, an inkwell and quill on the other. She sat down, and took one of the parchments, and began writing the events leading up to this. When she was done, she remembered something. Every time she was out cold, a small line would play in her mind. It had happened twice now. She knew she should recognize them, but she couldn't.

Suddenly, a knock came on the door. "Come in." She said politely.

The door opened and in came the first mate. He nodded to her. "The captain wishes you to head down to the ground with me. It will not be a long trip." He informed her, so straight and focused that it was almost like a royal guard.

She replied quietly, "Of course, but, just asking, where are we?"

The first mate smiled at her. It was a warming, charming smile. "Caronia IV, Caronia system, ma'am."

Twilight noticed he addressed her as ma'am, as if he wanted her to like him. The Republic were going to have to try better than that.

They walked through the mostly silent ship. It was almost spooky. There was hardly anypony walking the halls.

"Where is everypony?" Twilight asked.

This caused the first mate to frown. "We have been very short staffed. There is barely anypony who thinks the Republic is still a cause worth fighting for."

Finally, they reached the hanger. They both got into a two person fighter, which was very cramped.

The launch was jarring, as was the atmosphere re-entry. But they made it to the ground in one piece.

They landed in a small clearing, with no fortifications, no troops, nothing. Just a grassy clearing.

Twilight eagerly got out to stretch her jarred bones. Meanwhile, the first mate grabbed a basket and hopped down.

Twilight eyed the basket suspiciously. What evil items could be concealed in it?

The first mate sat down, opened the basket, and produced... a fully equipped picnic, complete with blanket, candle, and sandwiches.

Twilight's eyes shot up. So, it was just an innocent picnic. She scanned it with her magic, and found nothing wrong with it. The drinks were not poisoned, the sandwiches not tampered with. All in all, an innocent picnic.

The first mate gestured her to sit down. It's just a picnic! Come on Twilight! she silently swore to herself. She sat down carefully, and picked up a sandwich. She bit into it carefully. Not poisoned, not tampered with, nothing. Just a normal daisy and sunflower sandwich. Twilight silently scolded herself. If they wanted to kill her, they would have just blow the Gazer out of the sky.

The first mate poured himself a cup of lemonade. After taking a sip, he spoke. "The captain wishes for me to tell you my story. My name is Fury Comet."

Twilight studied the first mate carefully for the first time. He was middle aged, with a blue-white mane, a silver coat, and sparkling brown eyes. His cutie mark was obscured by his uniform. He was a unicorn.

Fury Comet continued; "I was born and raised in Canterlot. Not much of interest there. When the interstellar age arrived, I was married and had two kids."

Twilight tried to image this stallion before her leading a normal life in Canterlot. To her surprise, she thought he was better suited for Canterlot life than this military one.

Fury continued; "When the age began, I signed up for explorator. I was there when Celestia forced the Discordants to surrender. I, along with others, believed that this new power was unfair to Luna."

"So you joined the Republic?" Twilight reasoned.

"Nope." he said. "I joined the Republic because my wife was thrown in jail for supporting them." He said it with so much malice, Twilight remembered that she was dealing with a high ranking soldier in her nations enemy. Still, his story surprised her.

They sat in long silence.

After they finished the meal, they packed up, got back in the fighter, and sped back towards the Crescent.

When they got aboard, a voice over the intercommm announced "Twilight Sparkle, you are needed on the bridge immediately."

When they got to the bridge, Gilda was frowning.

"What's wrong?" asked Fury.

"Nothing." Gilda said calmly. "other than while you two were on the ground, the Solar Empire decided to send guests."

"Are you sure?" asked Twilight, hope flaring in her chest.

Suddenly, an alarm sounded, along with the call to battle stations.

"Pretty sure." Gilda deadpanned.

Author's Note:

Alright! The first of many stories to be told to Twilight. And suddenly, they're under attack by Solar Empire ships! Will Twilight be rescued, and Gilda get her deserving punishment? Or will the Crescent again slip out of the Empires hooves? Toon in next time!