• Published 27th Jan 2013
  • 651 Views, 14 Comments

We have our Reasons... - dragon191917



Pony-kind has always looked to the stars with interest. Now they can reach them.

  • ...
3
 14
 651

Under the Moon Light

"Sister, thou cannot be serious?"

"But I am, Io! He is the one for you! Truthfully, do you really think that Celestia and Luna, young as they are, need all the attention? You forget about my own love, and what happened to him!"

"Aye, sister, I remember. I will ask."

...

"To the Solar Empire fleet, I kindly request you lay down your arms! We wish no harm!" Luna's voice again came though the comm, to no avail.

Immediately, all hell broke loose. Ships were firing, exploding, and maneuvering. Twilight couldn't follow it, so she focused solely on the Crescent.

Gilda was shouting in her usual manner, "Alright, all stallions, fire at will. Aim to cripple, and pick your targets. Aim for important stuff, like Interdictors, comm relays, or orbital installations. Main gun, aim for those battleships, or they'll make lunch meat out of our escorts and non-combat ships! Shields to full front and sides. Missiles, I want you on anti-fighter duty. I don't want them dropping bombs on our heads!"

Meanwhile, the crew obeyed to the letter. Soon, the Crescent was the house of dozens of weapon systems firing nearly constantly.

Twilight did a very special job. Using her long range magic, she refilled energy crystals, added power to a particular spell or section of shielding, and cooled overheating electrical and magic circuits, and aided ailing crew.

Outside the Crescent, the battle looked grim. The Solar ships outnumbered the Republic at least three to one, and had the advantage of multiple orbital stations, including the all-famous Orbital Friendship Cannon. The Empire fleet slowly began to dismantle the NLR armada.

However, for those few ships lost, the New Lunar Republic fought admirably. In space, every fighter pilot took many of the enemy with them, and the great Capitol ships disabled multitudes of enemy vessels. Even the non-combatent ships attacked with the few weapons they had. In the case of the cargo ship Moon Light, it was the ships hull itself, smashing apart an entire orbiting heavy MAC gun.

But, all in all, after thirty minutes of harsh fighting, it was clear that the Republic stood no chance, for as the Republic got closer to the planet, all the ground-to-space installations on the Earth added their firepower to the already considerable power of the fleet.

Twilight thought they were dead. They all did.

"Hailing all units! This is Rear Admiral Drake of the 12th Imperial Fleet in BOTH her majestys' service. Hold your damn fire or be fired upon by my fleet, and hear this mare through!"

Immediately, firing stopped, curious as to what the hell Drake was doing. Then, suddenly, a mystical, female voice came through the speakers. "To all units. This is the Grand Master of the Moonjumper organization. All units stand down, and allow Princess Luna and her entourage to land on the planets surface. If you refuse, I will personally board your ship and rip your guts out and send you to the nine layers of hell!"

Expectedly, not another shot was exchanged as the 12th fleet stood between the two armadas. Quickly, Luna boarded a shuttle, and Twilight, upon her request, teleported aboard.

...

Several minutes later, the small transport, containing Luna, Twilight, Dusk, and two elite night guard, approached the great city of Canterlot, which was surrounded by a glowing bubble shield.

The pilot was the first to speak. "Alright ma'am, I've gotten you as close as I can to the city without being within firing range. Even if we could get past the guns, that shield would reduce us to atoms the instant we make contact. Suggestions?"

Twilight spoke up. "I could open a quick hole in the shield using my magic. It should allow us through."

Several moments later, the comm chattered; "This is the Eighth Army Corp of the Empire. Luna, the guns are silenced. You're on your own on the shield though. We'll do the best we can to disable it, but my stallions and I are hard pressed by the Royal Guard already, so I can promise no assistance forever. Eighth out."

Luna nodded. "Twilight, do it."

Using her magic, Twilight managed to open the shield for several moments, allowing the small transport to get through.

Several moments later, they landed on one of the balconies of then Royal Palace, to find a half dozen Royal Guards in their way.

They never stood a chance. Luna immobilized all of them using a stun spell.

The group ran through the great halls, tossing stun grenades and freezing guards as they went.

Then, just as they were nearing the thrown room, three dozen guards, along with several automated turrets, poped out of the walls from hidden compartments, surrounding them.

Luna looked up. "Twilight, glass above. Shield the group."

Twilight, doing as she was told, quickly put a shield up around the four, along with Dusk, who was tucked away in Luna's vest.

Just in time. The glass shattered, and several Pegasus with weapons dropped in, and others joined them by using rope. They wore Solar Empire army vests, but had painted a blue streak on the vests shoulds to show their allegiance. They numbered around four dozen, armed.

Twilight laughed, something scary in its own right. "Guardsmen, lay down your weapons! A princess has come, and yet you treat her with hostility? Shame."

In response, the Guards, seeing only death ahead, dropped their unique Spear-Guns, and surrendered.

The leader of the traitors walked up. "Princess Luna, an honor to meet you. My name is General Kane, and I command the Eighth Corp. My stallions will stay outside here, and make sure you are not interrupted while you deal with your sister. Oh, and the shield is down. I saw several of your ships coming in for landing when I came in."

Luna nodded, and walked up to the great doors. Twilight looked at them. They had always been a source of grandeur to her, but now they simply were another obstacle.

Luna spoke then. "Twilight, in these doors, I want you to know one thing. Follow your heart. If you think you should aid Celestia, then do so. You will decide who wins this fight. And, if I don't make it... Inform Gilda she now has the rank of High Admiral. She has complete command of the Republic. I trust her to make the right choices. And, finally, if none of us make it, I just want you to know that I believe in you, even if it's you wielding the executioners blade above my head, I will think you made the right choice."

Then, taking a deep breath, she opened the doors.

Author's Note:

And so the final confrontation begins. Who will be involved? Who will win? And, by far the largest question is; If Twilight has to choose, then will the Empire crumble, or would the Republic crash down?

And, just a curiousity, but who could be the Grand Master of the Moonjumpers? And why is she there in person? And, biggest of all, what threat would draw the Moonjumpers, a normally neutral organization, to completely aid the Republic at all? Of course, that's if they ARE helping the Republic....