• Published 28th Jan 2013
  • 388 Views, 2 Comments

The Legend of Jam - KenZig



An Earth pony musician has a new-found type of music he would like to be involved in. His dream is to let the knowledge of the music be known to all pony kind; in Manehattan first of course!

  • ...
 2
 388

To Commit Yourself To a Goal.

"It's just first finding the right musicians that understand it and they have to be excited about what they're doing. Some musicians want to sit there and play something they wrote to get money instead of the song done. So it's about the musician's understanding and being able to do what they're asked to do. There's no big science behind that too." - Dr Dre


The late afternoon brings a crisp air to the construction workers before they get ready to leave their potentially dangerous workplace.

Two days after Jam cleaned up his room, it became the zone of a smelly blanket. And Duck was no where to be seen after that night of uber humiliation, a note was left where he stayed and no pony bothered to look for him, for he is a wasted talent. Trail and Smokey finished making the instrumentals for Jam, and in return he was notified to make extra tracks for the duo. The 'Battle Field' was under renovation for a new stage and cleaning, for any talented artists to make it in the scene of the new wave music or be pressured to quit under the stress of being defeated by a battler that is far more lyrically and rhythmically superior. The Pegasus announcer was paid by Trail to call the new wave music 'Rap' instead of 'Crazy Poetry'.

Our little Earth pony will only have a day or three of practice, and to memorize the lyrics he wrote.

Jam was walking down a street to the center of Manehattan, no more than an hour of two away from the 'Streets', where the Theater was located. He had shown the lyrics he would use to Trail and Smokey, they both agreed that the lyrics were good, and wished luck upon Jam, for he would need it as the judges at the talent show were renowned for their snooty taste in music.

The walk was a peaceful time for Jam, as the streets he walked were quite, hardly a pony in sight, save for the odd couple exiting a restaurant. He whistled a tune that was mimicked to the beats he has received. He noted the buildings and tried to guess who lived in what room, or who was slanging. He stopped at an intersection, where only a few chariots were crossing. He didn't bother to wait for the traffic mare to signal the 'Go' sign, as she only nodded to Jam to freely cross, seeing as there was no danger of getting trampled.

He saw the Theater up ahead and began trot his way to the building that might decide his destiny.


The Battle Field is not a place for the weak and the mentally problematic, it is place of guts, glory, honor, debt, flow, style, and money.

This is not the type of Battle Field that you see in the movies or hear from old stallions, this particular area was for the young, wild and free. Drugs weren't allowed to be sold in the building but were able to be taken, ironically. Weapons are confiscated, and whack ponies are kicked out.

A Pegasus mare was standing in front of the stage, giving out orders to the stallions who were helping with renovations. "Lumber Cut, get off your lazy rump and help out Stone Lift, he's having trouble moving the new support beams!" she shouted to Lumber Cut, who was sitting on his rump eating corn on the cob.

"Lemme finish my meal at least!" he argued back, but immediately changed his mind when Stone Lift threw him a really dirty glare. "Fine." he gave in.

The Pegasus-in-charge walked to the back rooms and complimented the really clean walls. "Finally, we need to get this place spiffed up for new battlers to keep coming back for more, and the fans as well." she said. "Yo, VeeJay!" she turned her head to the source of her name being called.

"What?" she replied in slight awe as she immediately recognized the mare who called her. "Hey, Vinyl!" she greeted the mare, who she mailed a proposition for to be the new DJ. Due to the old one having to quit to pursue his own goals.

"I came as soon as I could, didn't want to come here without knowing what the place would look like, now would I?" stated Vinyl, shaking VeeJay's hoof.

"You came here at an unexpected date, the place is being renewed for a breath of fresh air and flow." said VeeJay.

Vinyl Scratch took in the sight for a few minutes and nodded her head in agreement, VeeJay smiled at her acceptance and began to talk business.


Jam swung open the door to the Theater and entered, he was filled with joy at the beautiful sight of the main room. It was big and had a front desk that had a mare that was seated behind it. She looked at Jam and gave him a warm welcoming smile.

He happily trotted to the desk and was ecstatic as he saw that the sign-up sheet for the talent show was still there, being that this was the last day for signing and the talent show starting in two days. Crap, I really have that long to practice? he thought to himself but retained a smile.

"Uh, hi, I came to sign up for the talent show?" Jam then greeted the mare.

"That's good, you're lucky. There's only one spot left to sign your name." she pointed a hoof to the sheet.

Jam took a pen in his mouth and signed his name. "Come by tomorrow and we'll give you a number for when it's your turn to show your talents at the show." the receptionist stated.

"Thanks!" gleefully said Jam as he made his way back out the Theater.

"Shit, I better start practicing when I get home. Know what I'm saying?" Jam said to no pony but did so otherwise for no apparent reason.

Comments ( 1 )

And by do, I mean, "HOLY SMOKES, A YEAR LATER I EDIT THE FIRST CHAPTER!"

Onto two, after [insert excuse].

Login or register to comment