• Published 3rd Jan 2013
  • 24,468 Views, 1,373 Comments

Body And Mind - Starman Ghost



When a changeling is captured by royal guards, both he and ponies find their assumptions about each other challenged.

  • ...
65
 1,373
 24,468

Scientific Method

For the next three weeks, Pincer was subjected to daily interrogations that stretched on for hours at a time. On some days it was Saber asking the questions; on others, it was a different guard. Among other things, they demanded military intelligence outright, they tried to make him doubt his loyalty to his queen, they prodded him that he must surely have people who were worried about him, and they told him of the suffering the attack on Canterlot had caused to try to make him feel guilty about his involvement with the actions of the other changelings. They threatened to deprive him of his daily free exercise time, which had been his only chance to stretch his wings since he'd been captured.

Despite the relentless questioning, his growing hunger, and his helpless dread at his seeming fate, his desire to save his podmates and The Hive gave him the strength to resist. Whether by simply repeating the answer he'd given the first day, or remaining coldly silent, or turning his back to them completely, he denied them any shred of information. They always left coolly and professionally at the end of each session until, finally, Mystic Saber lost patience with him.

"How much longer are you going to keep this up? Do you plan to stay here until you die, just so we can't protect ourselves from your queen?"

This was the first time they'd ever asked him that. Some nerve in Pincer, worn raw by weeks of isolation and relentless questioning, finally snapped. He gave his guards a fixed glare.

"Listen to me, horses. I'm not telling you anything, and I never will. I know why you're asking me these things. We're nothing but monsters to you. You want to finish us off, make sure we'll never threaten you again. You'll burn our home to the ground. Don't think I believe for a second that you would've given me the hospitality you have if I didn't have information you needed." He began to shout. "Kill me! Just kill me! I'm not talking!"

Saber simply exchanged a brief look with his companion.

"Listen to me, prisoner. This is my fifth year serving in the Royal Guard, and I can tell you that we are nothing like you think we are. We have always conducted ourselves with pride and honor, and to commit the atrocities you described would be an affront to everything we stand for. We do not kill prisoners, we do not burn towns, and we do not commit any other forms of wanton brutality. We protect the ponies of Equestria, and we only want you to talk so we can do that more effectively.

"All right, I think we're done for today. In the meantime, I'd suggest you think about this session. Things would be better for everypony involved if you would just cooperate, and unless you learn to see that, you're going to be in here for a very long time."

The guards turned and left, and as their retreating hoofsteps grew quieter, and Pincer was left once again to find solace in his books.


With a groan, Twilight gave the book she'd been reading a telekinetic shove and sent it tumbling onto the floor. As she did so, a thump echoed across the Royal Library's shelves of books and scrolls.

She winced when she realized what she'd done, and her magic enveloped the book once again. She brought it in front of her, turning it over and flipping through it. To her relief, it was undamaged; since she was alone in the library, nobody would need to know that she'd been so careless with one of Canterlot Castle's tomes. Having no more use for it, she floated it up to the top shelf and nestled it where she had found it.

Her worry taken care of, she could once again make room in her mind for her exasperation. She'd been sure that if any book in this room could help her, it was that one! With her magic she snatched up a long list from the floor, along with a quill, and struck out the book's title from it. Looking further down it and seeing how few items remained, she bit her lip. It was starting to seem that what Cadance was asking just wasn't possible. There were still books and scrolls to check, though, so Twilight's work wasn't done. After all, the next one could have the spell she was looking for.

She telekinetically lifted her list and quill and cantered out from between the ceiling-touching shelves, which stretched out from the center of the room like the spokes of a wheel, and around the large hourglass that dominated the center. As she did so, the parchment flapped behind her. The moment her eyes found the next book, she extended a magical thread that yanked it off off of the shelf and began flipping the pages, her eyes sweeping them for any mention of love. While she was picking apart the meaning of a particularly obtusely-written paragraph about the theoretical origins of the various types of love, the library door creaked open.

"What!" Twilight turned towards the door on the spot, the book snapping itself shut behind her.

It was Vigilant Watcher, a thundercloud-gray unicorn mare of the Royal Guard. She was in a defensive posture, one front leg drawn back and horn pointed forward. Twilight, realizing that she had startled Watcher in turn, sheepishly curled her tail beneath her. "Oh. Sorry, Mrs. Watcher."

Watcher let her posture relax and smiled. "Good to see you're keeping at it. Much as I hate to interrupt, Princess Celestia wants to see you."

"Oh...." Twilight stood up and straightened her posture. "Sure! Sure. Did she say why?"

"No, but between you and me, it probably has something to do with that changeling."

"Oh, of course." Twilight's horn glowed, and the book flew back to its place on the shelf. Then she rolled up her list and tucked it into a corner with her quill.

"I'd better be right over, then." Her eyes widened and she glanced at her list again. "Oh, I hope she doesn't expect me to have found something by now!" With that she trotted past Watcher, who gave her a reassuring smile, and out the door.

It didn't take her long to reach the entrance to Celestia's throne room. The pair of unicorn guards standing at the towering, ornate doors nodded in unison, their horns glowed, and the doors slowly creaked open. She thanked them and slipped in.

The doors banged shut behind her, the sound echoing through the spacious room. Though she'd been there many times before, Twilight couldn't help but look around. The mirror-polished, turquoise floor stretched out far on either side of the smooth, immaculate red carpet. Meticulously crafted, vividly-colored stained-glass windows lined the walls, touching a ceiling she would have had to crane her neck to see. They depicted all of the finest moments of Equestria's history; she could feel herself blushing at seeing herself portrayed in some of them. Sitting atop the towering golden throne that dominated the center of the far wall was Princess Celestia, who was smiling warmly.

"It's nice to see you again, Twilight. Cadance told me how hard you've been working on your assignment."

Twilight slumped a bit, her gaze flickering towards the floor. Celestia's frowned in concern.

"Is something wrong?"

Twilight snapped to attention. "It's... well... I'm sorry, Princess, but I haven't... haven't been able to..." She swallowed, then shook her head.

"I haven't been able to find anything yet."

"That's quite alright," Celestia said. "I know that you've been asked to do a very difficult, perhaps impossible, task. I haven't called you here because I expect you to have finished it by now. I understand that these things take time."

Twilight breathed a sigh of relief.

Celestia's eyes narrowed slightly. "However, time is a luxury we may not be able to afford. I assume that Cadance has kept you informed of the changeling prisoner's condition?"

Twilight nodded.

"Then you understand that we're in a difficult situation. If we let him go without having received the information we need from him, we put the ponies of Equestria at risk. If we allow a captive prisoner to starve to death through our own negligence, we put our entire way of life at risk.

"Since the Royal Guard began interrogating the changeling weeks ago, he has not given us a single piece of useful information. We don't know if there are changelings disguising themselves and spying on ponies as we speak. We don't know if another attack is imminent. We don't even know if any of them besides Queen Chrysalis have names. We need a new approach. We need someone who knows how to study and understand. We need someone who can not just question, but research."

In one smooth motion, Celestia leaped off of her throne and touched down almost noiselessly at the base of the steps.

"Twilight, I want you to interview the prisoner."

Twilight's eyebrows raised and her eyes widened. "M—me, Princess?"

Celestia nodded. "Yes, Twilight. This is my newest assignment for you, and given the situation, it would be best to do it as soon as possible."

"I... I don't know, Princess," Twilight said, frowning. "I've never really done this kind of thing before. I'm not sure how much help I'd be."

"I wouldn't have told you to do this if I didn't think you could. You've done great things before, and you can do so again. I have faith in you. You must have faith in yourself. Do you understand?"

For a moment, Twilight simply took in what she'd heard, Celestia looking at her expectantly. As uncertain as she was, she couldn't deny the truth to her mentor's words; the windows of Celestia's own throne room stood as testaments to Twilight's accomplishments.

"I'll be down there this evening, Princess."

Celestia smiled. "I'm glad to hear that. Good luck, Twilight."

Twilight bowed until she was dismissed, then briskly trotted out of the throne room, head held high with new determination.

The next few hours were a flurry of activity. Quill and fresh parchment trailing behind her as she cantered about, Twilight interviewed doctors, nurses, guards, soldiers, anyone that could give her insight into interrogation procedures, the changeling's state of mind, and what had already been tried and failed. It was with great fascination that she jotted down Dr. Hooves' description of his two skeletons, Nurse Bill's revelation of his literature preferences, and Lieutenant Saber's stories of his seemingly unbreakable will. Every fact she learned and every note she made built up her anticipation for the chance to talk to a member of a species that ponies knew almost nothing about.

By the time she had inked in her last note on the remaining free corner in the parchment, Celestia had begun lowering the sun. She made one last stop beforehand, heading to her guest room to roll the parchment and tuck it into her saddlebag along with another blank one to take notes on during the interrogation. Once the saddlebag was securely strapped to her back, she descended into the dungeon and asked one of the unicorn guards to lead her to the changeling.

When the guard stopped in front of one of the cells and announced that they'd arrived, Twilight was taken by surprise. As they'd approached, there had been no noise coming from the cell, nor was there any sight of its occupant. It wasn't until she peered through the bars that she saw the changeling, sitting at the flimsy desk and staring down listlessly at a book. As soon as she'd finished thanking the guard, she popped open her saddlebag and floated out her quill and both rolls of parchment, unrolling the piece containing the notes and questions. As he was leaving, she tapped the stone floor with her hoof to get the prisoner's attention.

"Excuse me? I need to talk to you for a bit."


Her voice wasn't like the others'; it sounded young and feminine, but without the huskiness that the mares in the Royal Guard had. It was devoid of intimidation or displays of anger, too. It sounded curious, almost friendly. Pincer turned his head toward his visitor involuntarily. She was a purple unicorn mare levitating a quill and parchment, leaning forward on her haunches in anticipation.

Seeing who it was, Pincer stumbled away from the desk and narrowed his eyes at her. He recognized Twilight Sparkle not only because she was one of the Element bearers they'd been so exhaustively briefed on, but also because of what he so vividly remembered from the Battle of Canterlot.

He'd been charging at the Element Bearers, he and hundreds of other drones. He could still clearly imagine the thundering and vibrations of thousands of hooves against the ground. They were galloping for all they were worth, entire clusters of them, knowing that they were facing dangerous foes and that it was vital that they not let them retrieve the Elements of Harmony. They hadn't been fast enough; the Bearers were poised and ready to fight, and they'd thrown aside the entire force in minutes. Twilight Sparkle had personally wounded him, along with many of the others, with some kind of directed energy from her horn. By the time he'd managed to pull himself to a standing position again, the Bearers were long gone.

"Hey, you can relax! I'm not here to hurt you! I just want to ask some questions. I've never had a chance to talk to a changeling before, and besides that, I think I can help you. Celestia's getting rather worried, you know, and so is Cadance. They've told me you haven't been able to feed on any love since you got here, and they don't want you to starve. So if you could just tell me what we need to know so I can get Celestia to release you, or even just something that could help me and Cadance find a way to feed you, or... or... I mean, maybe..."

Pincer had kept his posture fixed the entire time, giving no acknowledgment of Twilight's words. In response, she stomped a hoof in impatience.

"Listen to me! I'm trying to help you here!" Pincer wasn't able to stop himself from cringing. Twilight wasn't an ordinary guard; she was a powerful sorceress and a student chosen by Celestia herself, one who wasn't disciplined to the degree that the guards who'd been handling him were. Twilight getting angry could very well get him killed.

Grimly realizing that this would solve a lot of problems, he began speaking in the most casual voice he could manage.

"And why do you want to help me? Did you forget what I did? I was at Canterlot. I helped capture that pink princess so that my Queen could bleed that brother of yours dry. It would've been doing you all a favor, really. He was so bad at his job, he couldn't even slow us down. I'm sure my Queen could've replaced him with someone better."

Twilight gasped, then glared at Pincer. "Hey! Don't you talk about my brother that way!" She walked towards the cell dangerously. Pincer didn't bat an eye.

"Your brother is weak. Your mentor isn't much better. You found out the hard way that your Princess Celestia couldn't compare to my Queen. You're wasting your talent, working for someone so powerless. If you'd only been born a changeling, you could've learned from the best, the strongest... the greatest."

"And what do you know about strength, or greatness?" Twilight crept forward until her horn was nearly touching the bars, then stomped her hoof again. "Being strong isn't about being able to win fights or push ponies around! Celestia and my brother are strong in ways you'd never understand! I'm glad I wasn't born as one of you! You're horrible!"

Pincer stepped closer to the bars. "'Strong in ways I'd never understand'? You're just saying that because it sounds good. What's this strength, then? Go on. Tell me."

As Pincer advanced, Twilight tilted her head down. Her horn now pointed at him. "How about the strength to do what's right? Or stand up for others? That sounds better to me than your idea of strength!"

"Is that the strength that left your Princess lying on the ground for us to feed on?"

Twilight's horn flashed a brilliant magenta, leaving spots swimming in Pincer's vision. Confused and disoriented, but apparently unharmed, he shook his head and blinked a few times. He could hear Twilight's breath coming through clenched teeth, and as his sight cleared he saw that she was still glaring at him. Her horn, now glowing brightly, remained pointed at him. He knew she'd done something, but it didn't seem to be killing him or even hurting him. Was it some subtle poisoning spell? No, even if she was angry, that was too sadistic for her.

He tried to speak, but his mouth wouldn't open. No matter how he strained and struggled, he couldn't move his jaw at all; it felt as if it had been bolted shut. Of course. She was holding it in place with her magic, robbing him of the ability to talk. Twilight was still glaring at him, but her breathing was becoming more even and regular. He needed to put her on the attack quickly, or he'd lose his chance.

Seeing how carelessly close she'd gotten to the bars, he lunged. With his mouth sealed shut, he used his only available weapon to try to strike at her horn — his hoof. As soon as Pincer saw her eyes widen in shock and felt the tingle of her horn's magic field at the edge of his hoof, there was another magenta flash and he felt something strike his chest. The next moment was a flurry of confusion and pain; Pincer felt his body getting battered everywhere, his legs twisting and flopping and his head whipping from the blows. When he came to his senses he found himself sprawled on the floor of his cell, face pressed against the dusty black stone.

Disappointed but very much alive, he was slow and shaky getting back on his hooves. Luckily, his exoskeleton had done its job, so it was more from being knocked off-balance than anything else. Once standing, he looked dispassionately through the bars at Twilight, who had backed up from them and was now standing with front legs bent forward ready and horn still pointed at him. It was no longer glowing, though.

"What is the matter with you? Why would you try to do that? Don't you realize that all you're doing is making things harder on yourself?" she asked.

His last hope for release dashed, Pincer's lifetime of training finally met its limit. He found himself slumping and couldn't be bothered to correct his posture.

"I knew you couldn't have seriously hurt me, and you had to know it too! It's almost like you were just trying to get me to... to..." Twilight frowned and her eyes grew large.

"You really want to die, don't you? The guards mentioned..." she said softly.

Pincer could only stare hollowly at her. Surely she wasn't feeling actual sympathy for him?

"You want to die because you're afraid that if you live, you'll tell us something you don't want to. You'll fail to protect them. That's why you haven't told us anything." Twilight sat on her haunches, tail curled around her hooves.

"It doesn't have to be this way. I don't know what Queen Chrysalis has told you about us, but we wouldn't just start killing changelings out of some sick sense of revenge. We aren't going to hurt anypony we don't have to. That's not how we are."

"And why wouldn't you? Would you really spare them? Aren't we your enemies?"

"Right now you are, but do you have to be?" As if asking the question had hit a switch inside her, Twilight straightened her posture a bit, giving Pincer an expectant look.

"Yes!" Pincer hissed. "We're predators. You're prey. We feed on your love. That's how we survive. Don't tell me you didn't know this."

"Well, it's true. But don't you think it's a bit of a leap to assume you have to go around terrorizing ponies and overthrowing kingdoms? We get love from other ponies like our parents, and spouses, and siblings. We didn't have to attack anyone for it."

"Don't act as if you have a better way. If you did, I wouldn't be starving. You need me alive."

"Actually, I don't yet. I've been spending the past few weeks researching it, though, so there's no reason to give up on it so quickly."

"Weeks? And you haven't come up with anything?"

Twilight shook her head and sighed. "Don't you understand how research works? These things take time and effort, especially when it's a problem like this one that nopony's looked into before. We need to read and study and experiment and guess, and there's no telling how long any particular project or problem will take. That's why ponies who study magic and other branches of science have to spend years studying their fields and possibly decades before they have any major breakthroughs. Haven't you talked to any of your scientists about what they do?" Her gaze turned upward and she put a hoof to her chin. Her horn glowed and the quill, which had been laying neglected on the floor, began scribbling furiously. "Do changelings even have scientists? Surely if you did, they would've looked into solving this problem. Surely you'd want safer ways to get food than attacking ponies."

"I don't know if you've noticed, but I don't have years or decades. Here's one for your research logs: I can't live more than a few months without love." An enemy didn't need to know that science as a concept was actually entirely foreign to The Hive.

Like an electric shock, Pincer's words broke the stride of Twilight's lecture. Her spell blinked out, the quill floating to the ground as her head turned down and away from Pincer.

"That's right. I was so focused on correcting you that I didn't even consider... look, I'll figure something out." She took a breath.

"I promise," she said a bit too insistently. In response to Pincer's silence, Twilight let out a sigh and levitated her parchment and quill again, rolling up the former before nestling it in her saddlebag. With a last bit of magic she snapped it shut.

"I... don't really have anything else I wanted to talk about. I'm glad you told me at least a little bit about what's going on, though. I'll get back to you when I've made progress." With that, she trotted off. As the sound of Twilight having a conversation with a guard that he couldn't quite make out reached his ears, Pincer mulled over what had happened.

It was strange. He was a soldier, and since The Hive didn't even have scientists, he trusted her even less than he had the Royal Guards. Even so, it was from her that he'd received what may have been one of the few signs of solidarity he'd seen since arriving here. Odder still, he wasn't seeing any of the signs of deception he'd been trained to.

For that matter, it hardly seemed as if they'd send Twilight down if their intent was to deceive him. The Hive had gathered more than enough information on her to know that she was a scholar rather than an interrogator. She wasn't trained to lie or manipulate or break the spirits of prisoners. That was why she'd lost her temper so quickly.

What if they weren't being completely dishonest with him? Unpleasant as it was to think that he would die in here knowing only the company of those who would go to any means to destroy him, at least that left him knowing where he stood and what to do. His entire plan, his entire view of life, hinged on the idea that he couldn't expect any compassion or honesty at the hooves of ponies.

It was with a great sense of irony that Pincer realized that, despite weeks of intense effort from Celestia's best, none of his interrogations had been as confusing or as troubling as the one that had just ended.

Author's Note:

Thanks to Voba, Heretical Zed, Armalite, and NoMoreSanity for prereading this one.