• Published 28th Dec 2012
  • 327 Views, 5 Comments

Journey - LittleWhiteKiwi



One filly's search for love, friendship, and a new home.

  • ...
 5
 327

The Hurricane

To put it lightly, Silver Melody Smith was bored.
She had already finished her schoolwork and metalwork for the day, her father was taking the dog for a walk, her mother and grandparents were looking after her five-year-old brother and newborn sister, and her cat was sleeping. To make matters worse, the closest thing the family had to a television was a tiny radio. It’s better than nothing, the bored-to-tears earth pony thought, flicking the switch with a hoof.

“I’m Breaking News, and now to Super Storm with the weather.”

“Good evening, Neighburgh residents. There’s just been a report from the weather ponies at Cloudsdale that a hurricane is scheduled for around 6:00 in Neighburgh. At least two meters of rain is expected tomorrow along with 150-kmph winds, so prepare yourselves for many power outages, closed stores, and dead worms on your sidewalk.”

Silver flicked the off button, ears pricking up. If anything was to pique her interest, it was that. “Grandfather,” she called, her pretty, bell-like voice echoing through the family mansion. Although the family was far from rich, their mansion had been passed down for generations of Smiths. “Grandfather,” she repeated, galloping down the hallway to her sister’s nursery. “There’s gonna be a hurricane soon.”

Tin Smith, the old stallion who greatly resembled his granddaughter, gazed at the teen filly with disbelieving golden eyes. “Are you sure it’s scheduled for here? You know how often they say weather that’s planned for Neigh York City.”

Silver nodded eagerly. “Yes, Grandfather. Super Storm said it was ‘for 6:00 in Neighburgh”.

“Really?” Lock Smith, his elderly wife who had taken the seat beside Tin, asked, her eyes widening in disbelief. “Golly, we haven’t had a storm like that ‘n a h’ndr’d twenny-sev’n years!”

“We better prepare, then,” was the energetic Silver Smith’s reply.

“Don’t worry, Silvie,” reassured her mother, Gold Smith. “There won’t be a hurricane. Like your grandmother said, there hasn’t been a storm that strong in years. Super Storm probably meant to say Neigh York City, and just said Neighburgh by accident. After all, they both start with ‘neigh’”. Gold ruffled her daughter’s hair. “There’s no reason to worry.”

“Oh, okay,” said Silver, unable to hide the note of disappointment in her voice. “But we should pack a few things, just in case.”

“If it makes you feel better, Silvie,” Gold said, smiling, “we’ll get out the old first-aid kit and stock up on granola bars and water.”

Silver perked up a bit. “Thanks, Mother! I’ll get the first-aid kit.” She trotted further down the hallway to the brown staircase at the end. The silver earth pony peered up the stairs, a shudder passing through her body. Do I really have to go up there? The stairs were dusty, and cobwebs hung on every corner. She gingerly placed a hoof on the first stair, only to pull it back, surprised, when it emitted a loud creak.

Alright, Silver, be brave. You’re an earth pony. You can handle whatever is waiting for you up there. It doesn’t matter if there’s a spider…or a rat…or a wild manticore… She took a deep breath, closed her eyes, and galloped up the stairs as fast as a clumsy quadruped trying to go upstairs can go. Now it’s time to face your fears…
Silver cracked open a blue eye, revealing a cluttered room coated with dust. Chests and boxes occupied most of the room, but there was space for a pony to walk- which is exactly what she did. She walked through the parts where she could see the floor, examining every nook and cranny.
She noticed an open chest in one corner of the room. She slowly peered inside, revealing a spider’s web in the bottom corner and several first-aid kits. Which one should I take? she wondered, rummaging through the dusty kits until she got to the one on the bottom. Eeny meeny miney moe…She picked up a random kit and tucked it in her saddle bag.

Time to get out of here, she thought, shuddering, as she walked back down the stairs. The earth pony checked her watch. 5:20. Forty minutes until the hurricane.

“Mother, may I go to the market to get some supplies? I can bring the list, and I can also bring Copper or even Goldie if you want.” She liked her two younger siblings. Even though Copper could be annoying and Goldielocks was prone to falling asleep at random moments, Copper was very sweet and Goldie just had the cutest little face. The teen was definitely willing to take them shopping with her.

“Yes, Silvie. You can take Copper, but Goldie’s fine here. Thanks for offering, dear.” The reply came from a grateful Gold Smith, who was burdened with two energetic young ponies.
“Are we going to the market, Silky? Which one? Trotson’s? Can I get a Hoofshey bar? Pleeease?” Copper was the only pony who was allowed to call her “Silky”. The nickname had come about when the small orange and bronze colt had run a hoof down Silver’s mane and exclaimed, “Silky!” And it had stuck.
“Slow down, Cop. Yes, we’re going to Trotson’s. And yes, you can get a Hoofshey bar, but don’t tell Mother.”
“YES!” Copper yelled, thrusting a small hoof into the air and beginning a little dance. “Go Copper, it’s your birthday, go copper…”
Silver just rolled her eyes and continued trotting, occasionally looking back to see if Copper was keeping up. Copper continued blabbing on, and on, and on about how it was SO COOL that there was going to be a hurricane and he was going to sing in the rain all day and then splash in a million and one puddles and blah, blah, blah.
Silver’s ears were just about to fall off when they finally got to Trotson’s. “Thank Celestia,” she muttered as she walked into the revolving door of the shop. “Hello, Mr. Trotson! Are you there?” She had worked at Trotson’s for seven summers straight, so she was very close to the old stallion.
The dark brown stallion poked his head out from the back room, his blue-grey mustache twitching. “Hm? Oh, it’s you! Hello, Silver and Copper. What would you like to-“ He was interrupted by a loud whirring noise- the wind. “The hurricane. It’s coming! Hide, Silver, hide!”
But it was too late. Silver shielded her little brother from a piece of tile, and then everything went black.

Author's Note:

Even though there are only OCs in this chapter, canon characters will come in soon! If there are any errors, please tell me! Don't be afraid to criticize, although if you do please tell me how I can improve. This is my first story.

Comments ( 5 )

I liked it so I give you a ......................MOUSTACHE:moustache:

2167240 Woo, the moustache of honour! Thank you so much! :heart: This made my day! :pinkiehappy:

2199396

no prob...besides I really thought it was good:pinkiehappy: so I give you a ........... DOUBLE MOUSTACHE
:moustache::moustache:!!!!!!!!!!!!

2199608 Thank you :pinkiehappy: I'm glad at least someone liked it! You're the only one who commented. :raritydespair:

yea I just hope the next chapter comes out soon:pinkiehappy::pinkiesmile::ajsmug::twilightsmile::yay::moustache::coolphoto:




find the hidden moustache

Login or register to comment