• Published 26th Nov 2012
  • 7,988 Views, 567 Comments

Rainbow's Parents: The Truth - Songbrony



Rainbow Dash has been living on her own since she was a filly. Nopony knows what happened. Until now

  • ...
21
 567
 7,988

Confronting the Past

Three years later

I stood in the snow next to the grave that housed my mom. The funeral had been held a few days after she died and only a handful of ponies were invited. Both the Princesses were there, along with the Doctor, Derpy, and all of my friends. Although Fluttershy was the only one in my group of friends who had known who my mom was, the others were crying about as much as I was. "It's the last day of winter, mom. We're going to be wrapping it up soon, hopefully faster than last year. We've been getting better at it since Twilight started organizing everything." I said. I knew she wasn't really able to hear me, but it felt good to tell her about what was going on now and then.

"I should let you know what happened to Clarrise. She was taken to the Shadow Proclamation. They handle space criminals and stuff. She would have just been tried at Canterlot's courts, but since she attempted to hijack a TARDIS after the Buckingham Palace incident, she became an intergalactic criminal." I said. "I wasn't told specifically where, but I was told that she was being held in an Atrax extra-dimmensional prison. It's one of the hardest prisons to escape from." I pointed out.

I sniffed as a tear rolled down my face. It never got easier, coming to her grave in Canterlot. She was given a place here for her actions and valor in protecting Fluttershy and I, both Elements of Harmony, from an evil and clever foe. "Fluttershy is still in Baltimare. She's been there for a long time now, and she's been doing good with her animal shelter there. Pinkie Pie told me she's been battling brain tumors from what Clarrise did to her for a few months and it's starting to finally look up." I said. "And Pinkie Pie's doing good. She's only has a few weeks to go before she's out from rehab. What's even cooler is that a big company in Canterlot is looking to hire her as long as she stays true to her rehab protocols."

I looked up at the sky and saw that it was almost noon. "Well, I better be going. Twilight wants to talk to me about something important. She's a princess now, so it would be extremely rude to be late." I looked at the fireflies that were engraved on her tombstone. Luna had them placed there as a memorial to her for being a light that ponies could follow in the darkest of times. It suited her. I said my goodbyes for the day and headed for the castle. I didn't fly or rush to the castle as I left. I rarely did nowadays when I came here. I didn't want to leave her in a hurry.

After a few minutes of walking, I came upon Canterlot Castle's staircase. I let out a sigh as I took in the view. I was about to walk up the steps when Twilight opened the doors in front of her and walked down the stairs to me. "Rainbow Dash, it's freezing!" she exclaimed as I walked up to her.

"Really? I had barely noticed." I said. I didn't mean to sound rude, but I honestly stopped feeling anything really since Fluttershy first got her tumors. We walked up the stairs and into the castle where, I will admit, was exceptionally warmer. "So, what is it you wanted to see me for?" I asked.

"First off, have you written what I asked you to?" she asked.

"No. I don't see why I should revisit those events." I said annoyed.

"It's not healthy to keep them locked up like that. You need to express them, and writing it down may be the best way to do it." she said.

"How? How could writing down what happened to my parents be of any help to me?" I asked, raising my voice this time.

"You'd be confronting your past, something you haven't been wanting to do. You've avoided most of it and I understand it hurts, but you haven't moved on yet." she said. I didn't respond and she let out a sigh. "Look, I've been given a letter from someone who knows you. He said that he wanted you to read it, but only if you did what I asked of you."

"Who sent it?" I asked.

"The Doctor gave it to me, but it was your brother who wrote it." she said, hesitantly.

"Why didn't Felix give it to you himself?" I asked.

"I'll give you the letter, but only if you promise to do the what I asked."

I sighed. "Fine. I'll do it." I said, holding out my hoof for the letter. She gave it to me and took a deep breath. I opened the letter and started to read aloud.

"Dear Rainbow. If you are reading this, then it means I don't have much time left, or my time has run out. We haven't spoken since mom died, and I've really missed you. It's lonely here now that Fleur finally moved out and the divorce settled. You were right, she was only with me for the money. I found her with Hoity Toity in the bedroom and all hell broke loose. I didn't lose much in the divorce, but she did run off with a handful of expensive items." I looked up to Twilight, who just nodded for me to keep reading.

"In the past month, I've been diagnosed with a rare form of cancer in my wings. It's prohibited me from flying, and is slowly working it's way to my heart. I know that by the time you get this I may be gone, but I hope that you will come see me. I have something to ask of you before you go. If you can't, just know that no matter what your reason, I love you." I finished the letter. I looked to Twilight who was looking at the ground. "Why didn't he just write it to me?"

"Because giving it to me was the fastest way to get it to you." she replied.

"When did you get this?"

"Last night." she said.

"So there's still time to see him." I said relieved. I turned to leave the castle. "Thanks Twilight. And don't worry, I'll work on that letter." I said. Sometime.

I flew into the air and headed for where Felix's house was. He didn't say he moved in the letter, so I figured he was in the same house as before. When I arrived there, I found my assumption to be correct. I knocked on the door and nobody answered. I knocked again and nobody came to the door. "Felix? It's me, Rainbow Dash, your sister." I said, hopefully loud enough for them to hear inside.

After a few moments, the door opened and I saw Derpy standing there. "Hey Rainbow. Come on in. He's in the room on to the far left." she said as I entered.

"How's he doing?" I asked.

"Not so good." she said sadly. "He's been getting worse." We walked into the room where I saw him laying in bed.

"Rainbow? Is that really you?" he asked as he squinted at me.

"Yes, it's me." I said, smiling. I was so happy to see him. I had forgotten what it was like to be around family.

"It's great to see you. How are you doing?" he asked.

"I'm doing well. I have a nice collection of medals from winning my competitions." I said.

"That's great! I knew you'd do well in those things." he said before coughing pretty hard. He leaned back and sighed. "I take it you got my letter?" I nodded my head. "Good. Good." he said.

I took a deep breath. "How's your cancer?" I asked.

"Not too well. It's growing at a dangerously rapid pace. Derpy here has been kind enough to watch over me through all this. Thinks she owes us after what happened." he said, referring back to what happened.

"I do. I feel bad that I wasn't able to get her out and save her." Derpy said.

"It's fine, Derpy. You saved all of their lives by doing what you did. And I thank you for that." Felix said before having a huge coughing fit.

"You said you wanted to ask me something. What was it?" I asked after he finished his little spree.

He took a deep breath and collected himself. "I want you to move on with your life. You're stuck in the past about what happened with mom. You couldn't have stopped it, only Clarrise could have. She was in control of Fluttershy, not you. Nothing you could have done would have stopped her. She was being controlled." he said sternly.

I scoffed at that. "I don't blame her! I know who to blame!" I said, angrily.

"Then why haven't you written to her?" he asked.

"How do you know we haven't been writing?" I asked, surprised.

"She keeps in touch with me. She's written to me more times that I think you even cared to." he said.

That was a low blow. I thought. "I've been meaning to write to you, but something keeps popping up."

"No, you just haven't moved on from the past. The Doctor says that you keep brooding about what happened." Felix explained. "Please, Rainbow, move on from the past like I have. It sucks knowing that she's gone, but brooding on it won't make her come back."

I stared out the window at the falling snow. What does he know? It's not like he saw his mother die in front of him and almost lost everypony he cared about. I thought. But at the same time, I knew I was blaming all the wrong ponies for what happened. I looked back at Felix as he had another coughing spree. I sighed. "But I don't know how." I told him.

"Do what Twilight had me do. Write it down." he said. I stared at him, surprised that Twilight told me to do exactly what she told Felix to do.

"Okay." I said quietly.

"Good. Now run along. It's past noon, and I believe you have a game to go practice for." he said.

"Actually, I think I'll skip practice today. I have a letter I need to write." I said. I walked over to him, gave him a kiss on his forehead, and was escorted by Derpy back to the door. "Keep an eye on him, will you please?" I asked.

"Of course I will. I owe you guys a lot." she said. She looked like she wanted to ask me something but was too scared to do so.

"What is it?" I asked.

"Oh, well, um, I was wondering how you felt if I had a dinner date with Felix?" she asked.

This surprised me to say the least. "Why? What about you and the Doctor?" I asked.

"It was all on one side. I think he loved your mom more than me. And when she died, he just wanted to be alone for a little bit. I don't think he wanted to put me in anymore danger that could get me killed." she explained.

"Oh, wow. I'm sorry Derpy." I said. "It doesn't bother me if you do have that date with him. I think it would make him very happy." I said with a smile.

She blushed and thanked me. As I headed back for Cloudsdale. A thought ran through my head. If I'm going to start confronting the past, I might as well start with her.

When I came home, the first thing I did was start to write my letter to the friend. It turns out, she's always been my friend, sometimes, something a lot more than a friend. I finished the letter, asking for her to come by sometime if she can. After I put that letter in my mailbox, I walked back inside, sat at my desk, and began to write my letter to Twilight. The letter of how my parents left me.

Author's Note:

Hey guys. It's been one hell of a ride for this story hasn't it? I've got a blog coming out soon that I want you guys to take a look at. I want to thank all of you so much for sticking with me and dealing with my cliffhangers. I know you hate them but I feel like it makes the story more intense and give it a more "What's going to happen now??" kind of feel. I hope all of you enjoyed reading this as much as I enjoyed writing it. Again, thank you all of you. :)