• Published 26th Nov 2012
  • 7,994 Views, 567 Comments

Rainbow's Parents: The Truth - Songbrony



Rainbow Dash has been living on her own since she was a filly. Nopony knows what happened. Until now

  • ...
21
 567
 7,994

Why Me?

I stood there, quietly staring at the door. I was in shock. One moment my mom is holding on to me, the next, she's gone. I rescued you...I saved your life from her. But she still took you from me. I thought. I didn't cry. Everything happened so fast that I was still registering it.

"I'm sorry." Victoria said as she walked next to me. She pulled me in for a hug and I just stood there, unresponsive.

"Fluttershy's mom, Clarrise, was taken into the time vortex too. Every memory that was caused by her or is of her will disappear from the universe." the Doctor said.

"And my mom?" I finally asked.

"Same with her. Anyone who knew her will cease to know of her existence." he said calmly as he hit a few levers.

I turned to him. "Will I...will I forget her?" I asked close to tears.

He looked back to me and smiled. "No. You'll still have your mother as a part of you. You will never forget her. Since you were at the epicenter of the event, you will still remember her, along with Clarrise."

"What about Fluttershy? Now that she won't remember her mom, we can be together, right?" I asked hopefully.

The smile left his face. "In a manner, yes. But she won't feel as strongly for you as you do her. Because her love for you was reinforced by everything you did to her when her parents were here, everything her mom did to her is now lost in time. She won't have any memories of them, nor of the times you helped her through it." he said.

"So I have to start all over? What if I showed her her journal? With all of her entries about her mother, she should remember right?" I pleaded.

He shook his head. "It'll just seem like you were making it up."

I slid down onto the floor. "So you're basically saying I would die for her and she thinks she might sorta like me?" He nodded his head. I put my face into my hooves. "This is so unfair!" I shouted. My hooves muffled my voice. "Why does everything bad happen to me?! Why does everypony I care about end up dead or not caring about me?!"

He walked over to me and put a hoof on my shoulder. "I care about you. I don't want to see you hurt."

"Why?!" I shouted at him, looking at his face. "You barely know me. Why do you care about me?"

He rubbed his hoof through my mane. "Because I know what it's like to lose everyone I love." he said quietly.

I buried my face in my hooves again. I wouldn't let him see me like this. I was not going to be the only one on this stupid blue box who was crying. "Take me home." I said. "I want to see Felix."

"He won't remember your guy's mother, Rainbow. Even now, he's slowly forgetting what her voice sounded like. Pictures of her are disappearing along with the memories. Only us three will remember her and what she did." the Doctor said.

"She left me here alone. Again. After all this you would've thought she would stay for once." I said.

"She saved your life. If she hadn't let go of you, all three of you would have been dragged out and forgotten." Victoria said.

I didn't respond. I knew she was barely able to hold on, but I didn't want to admit that she didn't have a choice. "She could have kicked harder. Done something more before letting go of me."

"She didn't have a choice." the Doctor said.

"Like you know about choices. What life and death decisions have you made, Mr. Time Traveller hitch hiker?" I shouted at him.

He sat there staring at me. He wasn't mad, just calm, cool, and collected. "Remember when I told you I was a Time Lord? Well, I'm all that's left. The rest are dead. We were a very strong race, able to see into the past and future. There's so much going on in our minds, that keeping track of what happens when can get lost. But there was a war. A time war against the Daleks. The Time Lords became savage. They wanted everyone to die because they knew that they were going to as well. But I stopped them. I stopped them from killing every living thing in the universe. I had to kill mentors, friends, and even my own family." he said, his voice growing more stern. "And I killed all of them, including the Daleks."

"So I know what it's like to make life and death decisions. To choose what would be better for the whole. That's what you mother did. Saving you, because she knew you had your whole life ahead of you. Just like the universe I had to save by killing my entire race." he said. He stood up and walked back to the panels.

I laid there, pouting. I felt the TARDIS jump, signaling we were heading back somewhere. Victoria ran back up to him and I saw her whisper something to him. He didn't seem t o respond or notice she said anything. When she touched him however, he looked at her, a single tear running down his cheek. I had never seen the Doctor cry. He seemed like a pony who could take anything.

The TARDIS jumped again and settled down on. He nodded to Victoria and she gave him a quick hug. She walked to me and kneeled down. "Don't let him get to you. He's been through more than all of us combined." she said. "You're not the only one who lost someone they loved today."

I looked to her and nodded. She walked to the doors and opened them. In front of us was Buckingham Palace, as if nothing had happened. She turned to the Doctor and nodded. "Until next time."

"Until next time." he said. She walked out onto the lawn and the doors closed behind her. He pulled a lever down and we started off again. He stood at the controls quietly as we headed back for what I presumed to be the Everfree Forest. When the TARDIS finally came to a stop, I stood up and headed for the doors.

"Rainbow Dash." I heard the Doctor call. I turned and looked at him. He pulled something out from underneath the panels. He walked over to me and placed it in my hooves. "This, is the only picture of your mother that remains. Just like us, it was at the epicenter. It "remembers" your mother, and has kept her image perfectly." He closed my hoof around the frame. "Keep it. It belongs to you." he said and walked back to the panels.

I looked down at the picture and saw her smiling face. She was a few years younger than herself when I was a filly. I looked back to the Doctor and cleared my throat. He looked at me. "Thanks. For the picture, I mean." I said.

He simply nodded his head, not saying a word. I turned and opened the doors that led out back to the forest. I saw my friends and I walking back to Ponyville. The me outside looked to the other side of the forest and back to her friends right before running off. I flew out and caught up with my friends, not making a sound. When we arrived back, I had completely forgotten about what we had just done. Well, what they had just done. I had just seen my mom die, but they didn't know about that.

"I can't believe that the Princess knew about it all along and did nothing about it." Fluttershy said.

"She knew what had to be done. I guess we were the only thing that could have saved the day." Twilight replied. I let them talk. I didn't care about Nightmare Moon or the troubles they went through. I was too busy thinking about my mom, the Doctor, Fluttershy, and my mom again. She kept popping into my thoughts. I could be thinking about Felix and how he would be now, and she'd suddenly pop up out of nowhere.

I spent the majority of our time back at Ponyville thinking. I followed the flow and tried to hide in the shado- I mean in the dark. I didn't want to think about anything that had to do with shadows. It reminded me too much of what had happened.

"You a'right there, sugarcube?" I heard Applejack ask me. I jumped out of my thoughts and looked around.

"What?" I asked.

"You've been sitting there holding on to that there frame in your hooves like it's the most precious thing on the planet." she replied.

"What is it? A picture?" Twilight asked.

"Yay! More guessing games! We never did get to finish the one with that one evil looking pony. Let me guess first! Is it a cake? A muffin? A chocolate covered frog? No! Wait! I know! It's-" Applejack put her hoof over Pinkie's mouth.

"Darling, we've been sitting here trying to get your attention for about five minutes now. Don't you think meeting royalty is more important than what could possibly be in that frame?" Rarity said.

There's only one thing more important than this frame. And she won't even look at me like I look at her. I thought to myself. I bit my tongue though. They didn't know about it, and they'd just start to ask questions and think I was crazy. "Oh, sorry. I was just thinking about what a bummer it was that I didn't get a chance with the Wonderbolts." I lied.

"Well Ah'm sure they'll be some other time when you can whoo em'." Applejack said.

"Yeah. I'll practice hard for the next time I see them." I said, trying not to show any negative emotions in front of them.

"C'mon girls! The party is starting soon! You don't want to miss it!" Pinkie Pie exclaimed. We walked over to where Pinkie had the signs, balloons, and streamers hanging. It didn't take long after that for the Princesses to arrive. I didn't listen to much of what was being said, but I overheard Twilight say something about having to leave friends behind. I hid the picture under my wings as I listened in.

"Spike, take a note please." the Princess commanded. "I, Princess Celestia, hereby decree, that the Unicorn, Twilight Sparkle, shall take on a new mission for Equestria. She must continue to study the magic of friendship. She must report to me her findings, from her new home, in Ponyville."

"Wow! That's awesome!" I exclaimed. I had come to like Twilight through this journey. Maybe she'll help me get through what happened today. You know, without knowing it. I thought.

"Oh, thank you, Princess Celestia! I'll study harder than ever before!" Twilight said happily.

We laughed at that. "Typical egghead Twilight." I said quietly to myself. There was cake, music, a social gathering, and even Princess Luna gave a short speech. It took my mind off of everything. Fluttershy, my mom, the Doctor, everything. The party ended late at night, and after the party, we all went to our houses, but Pinkie Pie stayed out by the party for all the left over sweets. Rarity had a sister who was hyped on sugar and Applejack had a farm she had to take care of.

Fluttershy and I walked Twilight back to the library with Spike asleep on my back. From the looks of it, Twilight hadn't been to a party a day in her life. She was so exhausted that she collapsed as soon as we entered her room. We took Spike to his bed. I don't normally do that stuff, but since Fluttershy was here, I decided to stay with it.

"I can't believe I saw a baby dragon today. It was amazing." she said quietly as she tucked him in.

"Yeah. It's strange all the things we have seen." I said,

"I know. A sea serpent, a Manticore, and an evil princess. It was frightening." she said.

"I don't mea-" I started, but stopped when I remembered what the Doctor said. It doesn't matter. She'll think I'm crazy. I thought. I shook my head. "Can I show you something?"

"What do you want to show me?" she said as we walked out of the library.

I took the picture out from under my wing. "Do you recognize this pony?" I asked, showing her my mom.

She looked at it long and hard, as if she could almost tell who it was. "Umm, no. At least, I don't think so." she said.

"Try harder. Try as hard as you possibly can." I pleaded.

She looked at it again. "No. I'm sorry, Rainbow, but I don't know who that pony is."

I sighed. "How about you come by to my house? I have something else I want to show you." Even if she did think I was crazy, I had to try something.

"Are there more pictures?" she asked.

"You'll see." I said. We walked out of the library and flew to my house. She may not remember her mom, or how she feels about me, but I swear she better remember what her dad did.

Author's Note:

I would like to thank CountDerpy for editing these chapters. He is one of the reasons I'm able to get these out so fast. Check him out! He's a great writer!