• Published 26th Nov 2012
  • 7,967 Views, 567 Comments

Rainbow's Parents: The Truth - Songbrony



Rainbow Dash has been living on her own since she was a filly. Nopony knows what happened. Until now

  • ...
21
 567
 7,967

A Hidden Past

I abandoned her. My one honest to Celestia friend and I abandoned her to that monster. I hung on to that cloud well after the sun had risen. I hadn't slept. I couldn't sleep. That monster's face was permanently locked in my head. "Rainbow Dash?" I heard a familiar voice calling.

I didn't look up. I didn't even acknowledge that I heard it. I kept hearing my name though. But who could have flown this high? I couldn't tell if was a stallion's or a mare's. It was somewhere in between. Definitely not Fluttershy. She was way to scared of heights to be up here. Felix maybe? Doubtful. He never flew higher than a few hundred feet above Cloudsdale. He had trouble breathing above that range. It amazed me how I was able to breathe perfectly fine while others couldn't.

"Rainbow Dash?" I heard the voice call again. This time, however, it came from right underneath my cloud.

"Oomph!" I exclaimed as a grey, walled eyed pegasus pushed me up.

"Oh! There you are!" she exclaimed. "There's somepony looking for you!" she said gleefully. She dropped her head beneath the cloud and pulled me down back to earth. "I found her!" she exclaimed to nopony in particular. I was able to wiggle myself out of her grip. She looked at her hooves confused. "I thought I found her!" she exclaimed again.

I couldn't help but face hoof. "I'm right here Derpy." I said. She turned around and smiled.

"Oh there you are!" she cried gleefully.

"Yeah." I replied slowly. "Who's looking for me?" I asked.

She looked at me confused. "Felix. Who else?" she said.

"Oh. Right." I said rubbing the back of my head with my hoof. I flew down with Derpy and found my brother in front of Town Hall.

"There you are!" he said as I landed in front of him. "I went to get you from Fluttershy's house, but nopony was there. Why'd you leave?" he asked.

"Oh. I uh...I just went for a morning flight." I lied. I've been doing that a lot lately, even though I was taught to never lie to anypony.

Derpy laughed her usual laugh. "You silly filly! You were on top of a cloud taking a nap!" she exclaimed.

If only I was taking a nap. I thought as I realized how tired I actually was. I recalled her face again and became wide awake. "Well, yeah. You know, after I took my morning flight." I said, going along with the blonde maned pegasus. "Don't you have some muffins you need to cook?" I asked.

She brightened at the word muffins. After the storm cloud incident, her parents made her try and find something she enjoyed doing. She found out how to make muffins and she has loved them ever since. A little like how I love the Wonderbolts. Ah horse apples! I swore to myself. I just remembered I left my costume at Fluttershy's cottage. I guess anypony would have if there was a monster yelling at you.

Felix watched as Derpy flew off happily to her new objective. "Well, I take it you're okay?" he asked.

Define 'okay.'I thought to myself. "Yeah. I'm fine." I replied groggily.

"Good. Just don't go off like that again. We don't know who is out there after...you know." he said. He didn't want to remind me about our parents, but he knew I would never forget. "C'mon. I found a nice place for us to live." he said as he walked over to me.

We took off and he led me to Cloudsdale. I'm saying this now, Cloudsdale is an expensive place to live. So I was expecting another small house, but in cloud form. You know what he got us to live in? A freaking cloud mansion! I gawked at Felix who looked at me with a grin.

"I thought they told us to watch what we spent?" I said, shocked that he would do this.

"Who says I bought it? I won it in a bet. Pretty cool huh?" he smirked. Something you should probably know about Felix. He can't resist gambling. He's great at it and can call a bluff from a mile away, but he does get a little cocky sometimes.

"Mom said we had to be careful about the money. How much did you bet and who did you win it from?" I asked as I walked in the mansion. It was huge. Like I could fly around the roof and avoid anything breakable. I gazed as I absorbed the sight.

"It was only a few bits." he said. I have him that look you give someone when you know they're lying. "Okay okay. It was a few hundred bits." he confessed.

I gawked at him. "A few HUNDRED?! Do you know what we could have used that for?" I exclaimed.

"Hey I won it alright? Nothing to worry about." he said, shrugging it off. I sighed and started to explore the house. There was a living room with a huge Wonderbolts themed Air Hockey table. I lept on it instantly.

"Felix! How'd you get this beauty?" I asked as I gripped the table with all my strength.

"When I won, I won everything in the house." he gloated.

"You never told me who you won it from." I reminded him.

"He didn't give a name. He didn't talk much actually. He had a spikey mane and an hourglass for a Cutie Mark. He must work with time." Felix stated.

My eyes went wide. Spikey mane? Hourglass Cutie Mark? I gasped. I had completely forgotten about Fluttershy! How stupid was I? "Felix!" I exclaimed, a little too urgently. "I, um, I'm going to find Fluttershy. She said she was going to show me her talent with animals." I lied.

He looked at me questioningly. "You sure? You haven't even seen your room yet." he said.

"I'm sure. Don't want to keep her waiting." I said as I bolted through the door. I flew as fast as I could before I landed in front of her cottage. I ran up to the door and knocked furiously. There wasn't an answer. Then again, why would there be? Her monster mother was most likely still upset and Fluttershy was probably to scared to come answer herself.

I flew around to the back and looked in Fluttershy's window. There was no pony there. The window was still opened since I had dashed out the night before. I flew in and looked around. There was definitely a scuffle or something here. Toys were thrown around, some broken while others were just laying around.

"Fluttershy? Are you here?" I called quietly. No answer. I walked around the cottage trying to see if I could find her. The place was abandoned and wrecked. I walked back to her room and looked under her bed. I remembered her journal was there and tried to locate it. When I locked my eyes onto it, I wiggled under and reached for it. Even though I was pretty small, it was hard to fit underneath and get the stupid thing. But I finally was able to get my hoof on it and pull it out.

I don't know what possessed me to grab the journal. Maybe I was curious to know the whole story. Or maybe I felt like Fluttershy might want it. But why would she if it had all those bad memories in it? I shook the thoughts out of my head. I held the book in my mouth and flew out of the house.

As I flew through the blue sky, I took the book and started to look through it. I quickly closed it though. I didn't want to invade her privacy. And Celestia knows what kind of stories were lurking in its pages. I kept imagining her mother shouting at me. My parents never shouted at us. They would just tell us what we did wrong and punish us accordingly. Like if we lied we would lose this or that. Or if Felix and I fought we'd be forced to hold hooves and walk through school like that. It was embarrassing! But they got their message across without yelling at us. So when I was yelled at, I got scared.

I reached my house in a shorter time span than I expected. When I walked in, my brother looked at me confused. "That was fast. I thought you were going to Fluttershy's so she could show you about her Cutie Mark? Did she?" he asked. He was messing around with some papers that I assumed were something to do with finances.

"Oh! Uh... Yeah! It was...cool." I stammered. I had completely forgotten that that was the reason for me leaving in the first place.

"Oh really? And what is her talent?" Felix inquired.

Crap. I thought to myself. "It's, uh, teaching butterflies how to fly." I said quickly. "It was really cool. Gotta fly, though! Call me when dinner's ready!" I said as I flew up the stairs and into a random bedroom. I looked around and noticed that the walls were wallpapered with the Wonderbolts.

"Thought you might like it." Felix said. I jumped and gave a tiny screech. He chuckled.

"Felix!" I exclaimed.

"Did I scare you?" he asked.

"N-No. It was just a chill." I said quickly.

"Must've been one big chill. Anyways, I'm not making dinner tonight. I bought some food so feel free to make yourself something to eat." he said.

"Where are you going?" I asked.

"To Canterlot. I'm going to try and find a job at the Exchange. I'm not going to mooch off of what they left us. They said to be careful with it. So I'm going to start working for a living." he said proudly.

I rolled my eyes. "I'll never understand your finance esca...esca..." I stammered.

"Escapade?" Felix finished for me. "Well you can laugh now, but we'll see who's laughing when I'm rolling in bits." he said with a grin. "I'm leaving now so don't cause trouble. It's your first night alone here so don't try to cook anything. Make a sandwich." he said as he left my room.

I waited to hear the door close before I laid down on the bed. The journal had fallen onto the pillow next to me. I looked over. What happened Fluttershy? I thought as I remembered what she said about her father. I rolled over onto my stomach and gingerly opened the book.

"Entry 1." I read aloud. "Today my teacher gave me this journal to write down my thoughts since I don't talk a lot in school. Only thing is, I don't know what to write about. I'll find out soon." I finished. I flipped past a few entries. "Entry 9. How long can this be happening? It's been four years since they first started doing this. What have I done wrong?"

Four years? I thought, shocked. Had it really been happening for so long? I flipped past a few more entries. "Entry 14. I got a 96% on my Equestrian history exam. I was so happy that I got a high score! But when I told my parents, they just said it wasn't good enough, and beat me again. I can't tell anyone though. I'm afraid they'll be harder next time." I wanted to stop reading. Stop right then and there. But I had this feeling gnawing at me that I had to find out more. I had to see what happened.

"Entry 17. My father left a bruise on my foreleg yesterday. When my teacher asked about it, I just said I fell and hit something hard. I can't tell anypony about it though. I don't want anypony else to get hurt." I continued further. "Entry 29. There's a new girl at school. She has a rainbow colored mane and is really fast, probably the fastest at our school. She came to my aid right after some mean bullies came and were giving me a hard time. I hope we'll be friends. I've never really had any real ones." I remembered that day. My parents had just moved us to Ponyville from the slums in Baltimare.

I flipped to a page with a familiar picture in it. "Entry 33. This is Rainbow Dash and I while we were playing Oranges to Oranges. It was a lot of fun. Usually I hate playing games like that, but she made it enjoyable. Should I tell my parents about her? If I do, will they beat me or laugh at me and call me names?" These entries had to be days apart. I had that same picture at my old house before it burned down. I had been here for three months so these were not written in a day by day basis.

I flipped to a page that had tear stains on the pages. "Entry 59. This is the worst day I have ever had. Today, Rainbow Dash helped me again when I was being bullied by the school jocks. She challenged them to a race. I was the flag starter. When it started, I fell off of the cloud and landed on a cloud of butterflies. Suddenly there was a huge blast coming from above me. It scared all the animals off, but they came back out once I told them that it was safe. It was then I got my Cutie Mark. I was so happy and excited. I couldn't wait to tell my parents. But when I did, they just laughed at me. They said butterflies didn't do anything but fly, which they claimed I couldn't do. When I tried to explain it meant I was good with all animals, they laughed even more. They said I was a poor excuse for a filly. I couldn't even get a proper Cutie Mark that was meant for a Pegasus. They laughed and toasted to my pain. I don't know what's worse. Being mocked or laughed at by my own parents, or being hit by them."

I stopped. I couldn't read anymore. The pages were starting to get covered in my own tears. Those monsters. I thought. It's only word for them. They weren't parents, they were monsters. What parent makes fun of their filly after they get their Cutie Mark? No real parent would do that. I closed the journal and put it in a drawer next to my bed.

I wiped my eyes. I rarely cry. I've cried more in the past two days than I have in the past two years. I didn't even cry when I nearly broke my foreleg when I crashed into the ground. It hurt, but I toughed through it. I had to be strong then. Now though, I have no pony I have to stay strong for.

Wait. That's a lie. Fluttershy. I have to stay strong for Fluttershy. I need to stay strong for her. And I have to find her. I jumped out of bed and was about to fly out my window when there was a knock on the door. I walked down and opened the door. There was no pony there. I stepped outside to look around and stepped on a letter.

I looked down and picked it up. It didn't say anything on the outside. No name and no address. I opened it up and pulled the letter out. There wasn't much on it. The only it had was, 'Hospital.' On the bottom was signed, 'Doctor.' I didn't think anything about it and flew off straight to the hospital. I don't know why, but it felt right. However, I hoped so much that I wasn't right.

Author's Note:

I would like to thank Count Derpy for editing these chapters. He is one of the reasons I'm able to get these out so fast. Check him out! He's a great writer!