• Published 26th Nov 2012
  • 7,967 Views, 567 Comments

Rainbow's Parents: The Truth - Songbrony



Rainbow Dash has been living on her own since she was a filly. Nopony knows what happened. Until now

  • ...
21
 567
 7,967

The Return of Memories

I couldn't believe it. I was hugging my mom. My mother who had fallen out of time itself. I didn't understand it, and I didn't want to understand. All I cared about was that she was here and she was holding me. I sobbed into her chest as she held me close. "Shh. It's okay Rainbow Dash. We're going to be fine." she said reassuringly.

"Mom? What happened? I haven't seen you in a long time. And the fact that I forgot all about you worries me." Felix said.

"I know. I'm sorry I haven't talked to you in a long time. But I've been keeping close eyes on you though." she said as she let me go and walked over to Felix. "You've made me proud. Working at the Exchange and taking care of this house without even touching the money we had in the bank." she said.

"But I'm never home. I can't spend time with her or look after her." he said.

"She's a grown mare, Felix. She doesn't need someone to constantly watch over her." she said as Felix hung his head. "But you have been a great role model for her. You both have made me proud. And I know your father would be too."

"But I don't understand how I forgot you, but Rainbow hadn't." Felix said.

"That's because she was there when it happened." she said. She explained everything to Felix, about Fluttershy's mom, about the time vortex, and how she had been forgotten.

"So you're saying that if I was there in the...TARDIS...than I wouldn't have forgotten you?" he asked.

"Yes. Of course, you would have been in extreme danger had you come."

"But she went." he said pointing to me. "Wouldn't she be in more danger since Fluttershy's mom has a personal vendetta against you and her?"

"Trust me I didn't want her to come. The Doctor," she said, turning to look at him, "decided to put her in harms way. Against what I told him."

"Hey who else would willingly go with a crazy ol' nutter to Buckingham Palace to stop some crazy pony from taking over the world with mind control?" he said.

"But I don't appreciate you putting my children in danger. Especially for my sake." my mom said.

"If I hadn't agreed to go along with him, you wouldn't be here right now." I pointed out.

"And the world may be under Clarrise's control." the Doctor said.

"Clarrise?" Felix asked.

"Fluttershy's mom." I said. A thought suddenly hit me. "Wait! If mom's back, is Clarrise back as well?"

My mom looked to the Doctor with a concerning look. "No." she said nervously. "She can only be remembered from memories of herself. Since Fluttershy is the one with the strongest memories of her, only she can bring her back." my mom explained.

I breathed a sigh of relief. Thank Celestia. I thought. "So we're safe? No more problems?" I asked, hopefully.

"No." the Doctor said. "Clarrise may still be lost in time, but if Fluttershy remembers any of the memories of Clarrise from her childhood, then we will have a problem."

"If that happens then we'll kick her flank again." I said.

"It's not that simple. Coming back from being trapped in time is painful. You're trapped in a place called the void." the Doctor said.

"The void?" I asked confused.

"Some call it hell. It's an empty wasteland between worlds, between dimensions. There's no up, down, left, right, direction and time are non-existent." he said.

"Then how does one get stuck in the void by getting sucked in through the time vortex?" I asked.

"When the time vortex consumes you, you become non-existent and become part of the void." he explained.

"I'm still confused. How can something exist inside of nothing?" I asked.

"That's the magnificent question isn't it?" he said. "No matter. Your mother is safe and sound here and Clarrise is still trapped in the void. You have a breathing period Rainbow Dash. I'd suggest you take it." he said with a smile.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean that your mother is here and safe while Clarrise can't hurt anyone anymore. There's no need for me to keep barging in on you all the time when you're busy snogging." he said. "Now go. Run along. She's waiting for you downstairs."

"But mom's here. I don't want to leave her." I said.

"I understand, Rainbow, but I have to go Canterlot and discuss somethings with Princess Celestia. There are many things I need to tell her." my mom said.

"What? But you just got here!" I shouted.

"Which is an even bigger reason for her to go talk to the Princess." the Doctor said calmly.

I looked at my mom who just smiled at me. She ran her hoof through my mane and motioned for me to go downstairs. "Happy birthday sweetie. You'll see me soon enough." she told me. I lowered my head and walked downstairs.

I only got to see her for a few minutes and I'm being sent away from her. I thought to myself. I walked into the kitchen and bumped into a pony. "Hey!" I exclaimed.

"Oh, I'm sorry Rainbow. I didn't mean to bump into you." Fluttershy said.

"Oh, I'm sorry, Fluttershy. What are you doing here? Didnt you have to animal-sit?" I asked, still thinking about my mom.

"Derpy was nice enough to watch them for me." she said.

"Derpy?" I asked surprised. "Do you actually trust her with other pony's animals?"

"Well the Doctor trusted her to stay, which is good for me." she replied.

"Wait, what was the Doctor doing at your house?" I asked.

"He just said that it was important for me to come over. That maybe we could help each other."

"With what?" I asked, confused.

"He... didn't say." she said nervously.

So he's planning this all out? I thought. "Isn't that a little strange?"

"I guess a little." she quietly. She hid her face from me in the way she always does when she can't say what she wants.

"Everything all right?" I asked as I moved her hair out of her face.

She smiled. "No. Actually, I wanted to talk to you. About a dream I had."

"What kind of dream?" I asked.

"Well, we were at a dance. You and me. It started off with you telling me you didn't want to be with me because of your reputation at school. So I flew home and cried. I don't know why, but it hurt me so much when you said that. Almost like I had my heart ripped from my chest. It was the worst feeling I've ever felt." she explained. I saw a tear start to form in her eye. I tried not to remember that night.

"I came back to your house for some reason. I'm not sure why I went there, but I laid in a bed and cried. It seemed like hours. When you came back, you told me Long Horn threatened you by saying you were hiding me away. I realized you did it to protect me, and it made me happy. After that, we were in a bed together in Canterlot. Your brother had gone out to get a drink and you put your hoof around me neck, drew me in close, and kissed me." she said, blushing a bright red.

"It felt great. Almost like it was supposed to happen." she said with a small grin on her face.

It did... I thought to myself. And then it dawned on me. I can try to get her to remember! I could see a faint glow in her eyes, just like Felix had. "What if I told you it did?"

"What? But it was just a dream." she said.

"Well, yes, but it was a dream from a memory." I said trying to clarify.

"I'm not sure I understand..." she said slowly.

"Well, how about we try it? I mean, there's no harm in it. Maybe...maybe the dream was telling you something? Or reminding you of something?" I said trying to get her to think.

"Help me remember what?" she asked.

"That maybe...maybe you felt something earlier. That maybe you loved me...like I loved you." I said, wrapping my hoof around hers. She turned a bright red. "Can you think of a time when you...may have felt something like that?" I asked.

"Well...I keep dreaming of the dance...whenever I do, I get a tingling feeling that leaves me waking up feeling all warm and fuzzy..." she said.

I saw a stream flow from her eyes. "The dance was real. It was for our school and Long Horn kept me from being with you. Do you remember how you felt?" I asked.

She scratched her head. "It...hurt... I wanted to impress you at the dance...but you didn't want to be near me." she said.

"No, I wanted to be with you. I loved you. I didn't realize just how much I did until Long horn forced me to avoid you. I wanted to be with you more than anything. I came back to the house, and when I arrived, I tried to kiss you. But then-" I said, but she finished my sentence for me.

"The Doctor walked in before I could kiss you." she said as the glow from her eyes shot out in a wave. She leaned forward and gave me a deep kiss. I don't know if it was the nostalgia or the golden glow from her eyes, but I was getting some kind of high from it.

She pulled away from me. "I remember, Rainbow." she said as she looked into my eyes. I smiled as wide as I could when she told me that. I kissed her back and felt myself being wrapped in a warm light as we held each other there.

"There you go Rainbow Dash! I knew you could do it!" I heard the Doctor shout to us.

"Leave them be!" my mom told him. "They haven't been like this for a very long time."

I ignored their chatter and kept holding Fluttershy. I couldn't believe I had gotten my mom back and Fluttershy's memories back. I didn't care that they were on the staircase, I only cared about who I was with right now. I had my mom and Fluttershy back, and that was all that mattered to me.