• Published 26th Nov 2012
  • 7,988 Views, 567 Comments

Rainbow's Parents: The Truth - Songbrony



Rainbow Dash has been living on her own since she was a filly. Nopony knows what happened. Until now

  • ...
21
 567
 7,988

Family Reunion

I sat there not moving. Mom? Dad? I thought. "Well, what are you waiting for? Come on!" the Doctor said when I didn't bolt down the stairs. I looked at Fluttershy who gave me a questioning look. She still doesn't know about my parents disappearance. I had told her when she first moved in that they were away on some mission trip to the Griffon Kingdom or something like that. I hoped she wouldn't ask questions.

We walked down the stairs to find my parents sitting at the kitchen table. I couldn't believe my eyes. There they were, right in front of me. It didn't seem real. They had been gone for so long I almost forgot what they sounded like. I never forgot their faces, though. "Mom? Dad?" I said as I moved closer to them.

They turned to face me and they smiled at me with exasperated faces. My mom stood up and walked over to me, looking me up and down. "Honey, look at how much you've grown since we've seen you last." she said. "And how old are you now?"

I swallowed. "15." I never realized just how long it had been since I've seen them. "What..." I stammered.

My dad walked up next to her. He had a noticeable limp but tried to hide it. "Hey, Wondermare." he said, using his usual nickname for me. "I thought you hated dresses?" he said as he saw my crumpled dress.

"I...what..." I stammered. I still didn't believe they were there. "What are you two doing here?" I asked.

"What's wrong with stopping by now and again?" the Doctor said as he surveyed the room, smelling random objects.

My dad looked at him. "Mind giving us a few minutes?"

The Doctor put down the Wonderbolts model he was just getting a whiff of. "Oh, right. Big family reunion. Sorry. I'll be outside." he said and walked out the door.

"Wait!" I called. He was going to fall straight off the clouds! He was an Earth Pony, not a Pegasus.

"Easy there, sweetie." my mom called as I rushed to the door. "He won't fall." she said without giving a reason.

"How? He's not a Pegasus, in case you haven't noticed, mom!" I exclaimed to her as I slowed down my speed.

"I know, but he won't fall. He's a strange pony, but he's reliable." she said.

I turned to them. "What's going on? First you're here, then you vanish, and now you decide to suddenly drop in and say hi?" I asked. I was glad to see them, ecstatic even. But I was a little hurt that they did leave without telling us why.

"Um...excuse me." Fluttershy said quietly. This is bad. I had completely forgotten she was there. "I know it's none of my business, but what does she mean by vanish and returning all of a sudden?" she asked. Her hair had fallen back to cover her eye again. Just like it had when we were fillies.

My parents looked at me. "You didn't tell her? Even after her parents..." my dad trailed off.

I turned my head away a little and started to slowly kick my foot across the floor. "Well, Felix told me we needed to keep it a secret. At least until we knew what exactly was going on." I said.

"But you kept it from Fluttershy? Your closest friend." my mother asked.

I nodded my head. They had no idea how much it hurt me to not tell her the truth of what had happened. I could feel my heart race as Fluttershy walked next to me.

"Rainbow? Are you okay?" she asked, putting her hoof on my shoulder.

"Yeah," I said, regaining my composure. "I'm fine."

"Where is Felix, anyway? Shouldn't he be home from work by now?" my dad asked.

"He had to take over for another pony." I said. "How do you know so much about our lives? No offense, but you haven't necessarily been around to see it." I pointed out.

"Have a seat, Rainbow. We'll explain everything. Fluttershy can stay too." my mom said as she pointed to the couch.

"Oh, no. It's alright. I wouldn't want to impose." she said shyly.

"You wouldn't be. Besides, if you're living with our daughter you should know what's gong on, just as much as she does." my dad said.

I walked over to the couch and sat down. Fluttershy reluctantly sat next to me. Both of our dresses were wrinkled. We looked awful, but Fluttershy still looked adorable. It was like looking at the sunset. You never wanted to turn away from its beauty and hoped it would last forever. Why was I having these recurring thoughts? I was brought out of my head when my dad started to talk.

"Right after you left on your first Nightmare Night, Felix left to get some cider with his money we gave him. As I'm sure you've come to realize, we weren't a poor family. It was, however, the best way to keep you and Felix safe, or at least, that's what we had hoped for." he said as he looked at my mom.

"A few minutes after Felix left, the Doctor came by and told us that they were coming. We packed our things quickly, knowing that if they knew you two were out in Ponyville, they would find you and probably hurt you." my mom continued. "We created a distraction to draw their attention to us. After awhile, we were running through the forest. Our biggest concern was hoping that Felix had read the note and left before the fire started. We're extremely happy that he did." she said with a smile.

"As we ran through the forest, we met up with some members of the Royal Guard. They took us to Canterlot where we were put in protective care. We can't give you details, but we will tell you what we can. You see, Rainbow, we are part of the Equestrian Intelligence Agency. We used to do a lot of spying on different nations in the world. We've made a lot of enemies, some of which, are following us now." my dad said.

"Who are these enemies?" I asked.

"We don't know exactly. What Celestia believes is that they are members of a group from the Griffon Kingdom. Not much is know about them. Your father and I were sent their to acquire information on a possible chemical attack." my mom said. "More or less, things didn't go as planned. We were captured and tortured for information. We were able to escape, but only because one of the guards was cocky and got too close to us."

"Something doesn't make sense, though. If you were put in protective care, then why are you constantly running around? And you still haven't answered how you know so much about us?" I asked.

"In protective care, you move around a lot. Especially with the group we have after us. As to how we know so much about you, you can ask the Doctor. Do you really think that we would just leave you without someone watching over you?" my mother asked sarcastically.

"That's what it seemed like." I told them. "But I'm still confused. How-" I was cut off by the Doctor barging in.

"Hello, sorry to interrupt, but we have a problem." he said frantically.

"Not one moment of peace!" my dad exclaimed. He got up and stumbled as he winced. My mom grabbed ahold of him and helped him to the Doctor. "How far out are they?"

"About five miles, and closing fast." the Doctor said as he helped my dad out the door.

"Rainbow Dash, I'm sorry we can't stay and talk longer. But if they are on their way here, you're in more danger if we're here. I love you!" my mom said to me as the three of them rushed out the door.

I sat there on the couch, trying to figure out what had just happened. It all moved so fast. First my parents, who I haven't seen since I was just a filly, had walked in, told Fluttershy and I about what had happened, and then left, just as suddenly as they had arrived. Fluttershy was sitting next to me looking at me.

"Is that why you lied to me about them?" she asked. "Because of what Felix said and you not knowing what happened?" I nodded my head. "I see." she said quietly. She put a foreleg behind my shoulder. "I'm sorry, Rainbow. I know how much you love them. You had your reason to not tell me." she said, trying to comfort me. Why though? I didn't feel bad or sad. I was still shocked by the events.

We sat there for about ten minutes before it hit me. The pain of realizing that they were here and I didn't even tell them that I loved them or gave them a hug. I shook a little as tears started to well in my eyes. No. Rainbow, you are tough. You can't cry. I thought as I tried to push the tears back. It was too much, though. The pain of realizing that my one and only chance of hugging my parents again was gone. I burst out crying into Fluttershy's chest as she wrapped me in a warm hug.

I couldn't help myself. My parents were gone again, taken from me by the Doctor. I had no idea when I would see them or if I would even hear from them again. I hoped I would hear from them, but I remembered what my dad said about constantly moving, and cried harder. I had never felt so sad as I had now.

Fluttershy. She's the only pony I have truly cried in front of. I mean, a few others have seen a tear or two, but none have seen the waterworks I was displaying now. She rubbed her hoof through my mane as I bawled. I heard the door suddenly slam close and we both jumped. I must've forgotten to close it after my parents left.

"Rainbow? Are you home? Why was the front door wide open?" he asked as he entered. I quickly ended my tears and regained my composure. It was one thing to cry in front of Fluttershy. It was another thing to cry in front of my brother. I couldn't let him see me like this.

"I'm in here." I said as I finished wiping my tears away.

He walked in and gave a sigh of relief. "For a minute there I thought something had happened." he said with a relieved smile.

Something had happened. But I couldn't tell him now without bursting into tears again. It was hard to do that now just by thinking about it. "I just forgot to close it after the dance." I told him.

He walked into the kitchen and grabbed a glass of water. "How was it?" he asked as he downed the water.

"It was, uh, great. We had a lot of fun." I replied. It was a disaster that had gotten worse after I had left.

He walked in and looked at me worriedly. "You okay? You look like you've been crying. Is everything alright?" he asked.

I rubbed my eyes, acting like I was just tired. "Yeah. Just a little beat after tonight." I said. I faked a yawn. "I think I'm going to hit the hay early tonight." I said. I stood up with Fluttershy and we headed upstairs. "Good night!" I called down to him.

"Good night?" he replied confused. It was only 9 o'clock, early even for Felix's standards. The dance was most likely still going on with the lie being spread around. Well, looks like I can kiss my reputation goodbye. I closed the door behind me and locked it after we entered our room.

"Fluttershy? Can I ask you something?" I asked her.

"Of course." she said as she sat on her bed.

I walked over to her bed and fell on my back. "What's it like to not have parents?" I asked. I know it probably wasn't something I should ask her, since it may bring back memories, but she was the only pony I knew who may know what I felt like now.

She looked at me with solemn eyes. "It's like having a void in your chest. You know they are there somewhere, but they don't seem like it. At least, that's how it was for me." she said quietly. I sat up and looked at her. Her face was looking down at the floor, away from me. "My parents were with me, but I felt like they weren't even there. I heard what you would say about yours. It made me think what it would be like to have actual parents who cared about me." she said.

She turned to look at me. "I was jealous of you for having such great parents. When you offered to have me live with you after what happened in the hospital, I was so excited. I thought that I would actually have parents who would care about me. But then you said they were on a trip somewhere and never talked about them. I just passed it off as not being important. I had no idea that they were actually running from something." she said.

"Yeah. Running and leaving me here alone." I said.

"Well, yes. But do you know why they did?" she asked. When I didn't respond she put a hoof on my back. "They did it because they felt that you would be safer if they were away. They did it because they love you." she said as she rubbed my back. "Something my parents never felt for me." she said. I could hear her start to cry. I turned to her and gave her a tight hug.

"Hey. We may not have parents to watch over us, but we have each other." I told her. "Remember. I'm not leaving you. Not for anything." I said. I began to cry a little too. I still had some feelings after my first session. She was, truly, the only pony I could show any emotions to. It felt good having somepony to express myself to. We cried together and fell asleep in each others hold.

I woke up the next day wrapped tightly in Fluttershy's grip. We were still wearing our dresses, which were completely ruined by this morning. I found it a little weird that we were still in each other's hold, but I liked it. For some reason I snuggled close into her mane. It was soft and luscious. I played with her hair as she continued to sleep peacefully.

This is nice. I thought to myself. I like just laying here with her. It's soothing. I let the feelings wash over me. I realized something that I hadn't realized before. I liked her. Like, more than just a friend. Hay, I'm able to show her my emotions and be myself around her. I'd do anything for her. Are these thoughts normal? I thought questioningly. I couldn't tell Fluttershy. If I did, she would think I was crazy. I mean, we've known each other for most of our lives.

I stopped playing with her mane as she started to move awake. "Oh, my." she said quietly as she blushed. She slowly started to let go of me, but I held on tighter.

"Hey. I, uh, want to say I'm sorry for the dresses." I said. I could feel my cheeks flush.

"Oh. Don't worry about it. In the end, I think everything worked out fine." she said. We stared at each other for a few seconds. We were so close to each other. My heart raced as I drew my head closer.

"Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy! It's time for breakfast." Felix called at our door. We quickly let go of each other and got off the bed.

"Alright." I called back to him. I looked back to Fluttershy. She was beat red. I'm sure I was the same, but I didn't voice anything. I took the dress off and walked downstairs without saying a word. What's going on with you, Dash?

Author's Note:

I would like to thank CountDerpy for editing these chapters. He is one of the reasons I'm able to get these out so fast. Check him out! He's a great writer!