• Published 26th Nov 2012
  • 7,988 Views, 567 Comments

Rainbow's Parents: The Truth - Songbrony



Rainbow Dash has been living on her own since she was a filly. Nopony knows what happened. Until now

  • ...
21
 567
 7,988

Goodbye

"Goodbye?" I asked myself. I picked up the tear stained paper and read what was below.

These past years living here have been the best years I've ever had. You've shown me so many ways to be a more outgoing mare. I know that you may not have felt the same way I have about you when we started school, but I've always really cared about you, even when we were fillies. When you stuck up for me when my parents were yelling at me, I liked it and admired you for it. I have never felt like anypony was there for me. I felt like the dirt you wash off of your hooves. You were the only pony I felt I could be myself around. I knew for a long time that I loved you, but I was too scared to do anything or say anything because I was afraid you would leave me, or worse, hurt me like my parents had. I know now these fears were irrational, but they were still present.

I really wanted to go with you to that dance, but when you said you were going with Long Horn, I figured that you didn't like me that way. And then when you told me you couldn't talk to me, I thought that you were embarrassed to be seen with me. I ran home and cried, feeling worthless again. But after you told me why you did that, I realized that you were doing it for my well-being.

After Heart Warming, I couldn't believe what had happened. You had kissed me. It was something I only dreamed about. Something I only fantasized about. I loved you more than anything. I knew you would be there when I needed you and that I could be myself with you. I'd never thought you'd stay. I thought you would move on from a shy filly like me. I realized it was much more to you as well after last night. I could tell that you didn't want to stop. Maybe something more could have happened. I wanted something more to happen, but I was afraid to push further. I didn't know how you would react. If you only knew how much I cared about you. It's why I'm leaving now. I saw the lightning hit those ponies and while the light flashed, I saw my name engraved in the cloud. I didn't think it was possible, but I'm afraid that they will find me. They'll hurt you, and I can't let that happen. I'm a hazard if I stay here with you. I keep putting you in harms way and I can't live with myself by doing that. You've taken care of me, now I'm going to do the same for you. I hope you understand. Goodbye. I love you Dashie.

Dashie. I thought to myself. It was a name she had given me when we were very young. I don't remember how she came up with it, but she would call me it whenever I flew really fast around her. I liked it, though. For some reason, it was her little name for me.

I sat on a chair and held the letter close to me. "Fluttershy..." I said to myself quietly. All the memories of us together flooded my mind. Me sticking up for her when the bullies picked on her, our first Nightmare Night. our first kiss...

I felt a tear slide down my cheek. I didn't make a move to clear it. "Why...Why Fluttershy..." I said aloud. I screamed. I let out all my emotions right there and then. I cried, kicked, and punched anything I could. "Why did you leave me?!" I shouted to nopony. "After all I've done for you, you leave me alone!" I kept shouting. I was so mad, so upset, by what she had done. She said she did it to protect me, but I didn't believe it. She was tired of me. She didn't care about me.

I ran up to my room and started to knock her stuff over. I found her cds and started throwing them across the room. I flipped her bed over and screamed in anger. I ripped the wall paper off of her wall, wanting to remove every trace of her from this place. I threw the pictures of us on the ground, shattering the glass. I picked up a cage and threw it against the wall where it let out a ringing sound. I landed on my bed, tears flowing freely as I cried. I couldn't help myself. I knew that she was gone and that I couldn't do anything to win her back.

I needed to clear my head. I flew out the window as fast as I could. The fresh cool air made my skin tingle. I flew as fast as I could over the clouds. As I passed the lower cloud layer, I leveled out and just flew. I didn't know where I was going or how I would get back, but I didn't care. As long as I was moving and not sitting still. I began to practice my flying maneuvers after awhile. I needed to focus on something else. Something that didn't involve Fluttershy.

After about an hour of flying, I decided I needed to head home. I dropped below the cloud cover and flew back home. I wasn't mad anymore. I just felt...empty. Flying helped clear my head, but now that I was done, I remembered Fluttershy and her leaving. I flew back into my room and fell face first into my bed. I didn't cry even though I wanted to. The flying really helped me. I could actually think now.

I knew she wasn't leaving me because she didn't care about me. She was right about me being in danger, but today I wasn't. If anything, I was the farthest from danger. I could tell her mother was involved in the Wonderbolts attack. It only made sense for her to hit the Wonderbolts and leave Fluttershy's name on the cloud. Psychological warfare. I looked to my right where a picture was sitting. I must've missed this one when I was throwing them every where. It was us laughing in the grass. I couldn't remember when it was taken, but she looked so pretty here. Her long pink mane was in a ponytail behind her, allowing her big beautiful eyes to show. I loved it, almost as much as when she let it hang over one of her eyes. I picked the picture up and stared at us. She was always so quiet, so peaceful, so...shy. I stopped my emotions from overwhelming me again. I don't know why, but I still felt like I had to be strong. I placed the picture back on the dresser and noticed that the drawer was opened a little bit. I opened it up further and found her journal. I had completely forgotten about it. I took it out and opened it.

"Entry 83: I don't know if I should be happy or sad. I found my journal finally. Rainbow has it hidden in her drawer. I'm not going to tell her though. I think she forgot about it. But, Rainbow, if you're reading this, I love you. Very much. I may just be dreaming or thinking of false hopes, but I want to be with you. I hope you don't hate me for this." I flipped the page.

"Entry 84: Well, tomorrow's the dance. I really want to ask Rainbow to the dance, but I'm afraid how she'll react. I guess I could play it off as us going as friends, but I want to be more than that. I may just be a love struck filly, but I hope that someday we can go places together as more than friends."

"Entry 85: I can't believe it. All my hopes and my plans have been for nothing. She's not interested in me as anything more than a friend. I bought a beautiful dress for the dance, hoping that I could impress her. But, it turns out that she is going with a big stuck up jerk. He's the top jock at school and all he does is put people down. I'm torn between wanting to be with Rainbow Dash and wanting to move on."

"Entry 86: All I feel is hurt and pain. No matter what I do or what I try, I'll always be the second run. The pony that nopony could ever love. I'm useless, worthless. I feel like I'm all alone in this place. Why can't she love me like I love her? Why can't I be more like her? Why am I so stupid as to believe that I could ever amount to anything that Rainbow could love? I hope she's having fun with Long Horn..."

I saw a tear fall onto the page. This was right after the dance, I thought. I couldn't believe I had made her feel that way. These four entries...why didn't I remember about this stupid journal sooner? I had to find her. I had to make sure she was alright. I had to tell her so much, that I loved her, that I wanted nothing more than to be with her. I wanted to tell her that I loved her long before I kissed her that night. I had to tell her she was everything to me.

I was about to jump out my window and fly around Ponyville when I heard a strange sound coming from my kitchen. "Huh?" I said. I turned from the window and headed for my door. I opened the door and started to walk downstairs. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. There was a giant blue box sitting front and center of my kitchen. "What in the name of..." I trailed off.

I saw my mom poke her head out the door. "Honey, get in. We need your help." she said. I ran over to her and peered my head inside. As I walked in, I saw a strange array of lights and buttons that beeped and blinked. Oh, another thing, it was bigger on the inside than it was on the outside.

"What...how is...it's not even...What?!?!" I ended up shouting.

"It's the TARDIS." the Doctor said as he pulled levers and pushed buttons with three different hooves.

"What's a TARDIS?" I asked, still trying to comprehend the fact that it was bigger on the inside than on the outside.

"Time and Relative Dimension in Space." he replied casually.

"What?" I asked.

"It's a ship that can travel in time. We are using it to find Fluttershy." my mom said.

"And we know exactly where she is." the Doctor said.

That snapped me back into focus. "Where is she? Is she alright?" I asked frantically. I didn't care about trivial things like a box that could travel through time. I just wanted to find Fluttershy.

"The Everfree Forest." he said.

"Then what are we waiting for?" I exclaimed.

"It's not as simple as just jumping into the forest next to her. It's much more complicated than that." my mom said.

"How hard can it be? If this...ship can fly through time, than it should be child's play to get to Fluttershy!"

"That forest sends out weird electromagnetic pulses that fingle dangle the TARDIS' navigational computer. If we tried to just jump next to her, we could end up on a different planet, at a different time, in a parallel universe. We can't afford to mess with any of the timey-wimey problematics of the polarization of the TARDIS." he said, acting as if we knew what he was saying.

Even my mom looked at him confused. The Doctor groaned. "The bad signals from the mean ol' forest will mess with the TARDIS so we won't be able to rescue Fluttershy without putting ourselves in danger." he explained in a childish sort of way. "Get it now?"

"I think so..." I said, unsure if I really did. "So where are we going to go if we can't land in the forest?" I asked.

"By her old house. It's the only place that has an entrance into the forest." my mom said.

The Doctor pulled down on a lever. "Hold onto something!" he shouted as the TARDIS lurched and caught me off balance. I gripped the closest railing to me and held on for dear life. It felt as if the entire thing was about to collapse in on itself. "C'mon baby, you can do it. C'mon sweetie!" I heard the Doctor say to the giant pillar as a piston ran up and down.

"Who are you talking to??" I shouted at him.

"The TARDIS." he replied.

"You're talking to metal?"

"Hey! Careful! She can hear you, you know." he said. There was a sudden jolt and the uncontrollable shaking had stopped. "I'm sorry, baby. She didn't mean it." he said talking to the TARDIS again.

"You act as if it's alive." I said as I walked out the door. I hadn't been to this cottage since I was a filly. For some reason, I was drawn to it. Old memories flashed into my head as I remembered our first sleepover. The Doctor had walked into Fluttershy's room and had woken her up. He told her that her drunken dad had died in an accident. I remember her being really calm, cool, and collected.

I suddenly remembered seeing her mom shouting at me, acting like she was going to hit me. I shook the thought from my head. "Are you okay, Rainbow?" my mom asked, standing next to me.

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just a small headache from the jerking around." I said. There was a faint scream of pure terror. I knew who it was right as I heard it. I ran into the forest and took off, flying as fast as I could to get to her. "I'm coming Fluttershy!" I shouted. I heard the Doctor and my mom call my name, but I didn't stop and I didn't slow down. I was going to find her and hurt whoever was scaring her. Nopony makes Fluttershy scream like that and get away with it.

Author's Note:

I would like to thank CountDerpy for editing these chapters. He is one of the reasons I'm able to get these out so fast. Check him out! He's a great writer!