• Published 26th Nov 2012
  • 7,987 Views, 567 Comments

Rainbow's Parents: The Truth - Songbrony



Rainbow Dash has been living on her own since she was a filly. Nopony knows what happened. Until now

  • ...
21
 567
 7,987

The Best Birthday

I pushed her hair out from her eyes and smiled at her. "Don't worry. If anypony thinks any less of you, tell me, and I'll deal with them." I said.

"But...it's not normal..." she said shakily. "What if everypony makes fun of me again?"

"They won't. Ponies aren't like that anymore." I said trying to reassure her.

"Are you certain? I mean, sometimes they'll say it behind our backs." she said.

"If they do, I'll make sure they don't bother you." I said.

"Ok..." she said quietly. She looked into my eyes and I stared into her big green eyes. They were beautiful, just like her. I leaned forward to give her a kiss...

I woke up to a loud humming sound coming from the kitchen. I tried to ignore it and go back to the awesome dream I was having. It didn't work as I heard the Doctor open my door. "What are you doing still in bed?" he asked.

"I was having fun time dreaming." I said tiredly. "You always seem to interrupt me when I'm doing something with Fluttershy."

"Fluttershy? But she's not here." he said confused.

I groaned. "I meant in my dream. Why are you here?" I asked with a yawn.

"Well I did have something important to tell you, but now I can't remember it." he said. "Oh what was it? Something about pears? A Unicorn? Or was it about a particular hooligan who keeps snatching all my timey wimeyness?"

"If it was important, you should remember." I said as I rolled over to my side in my bed.

"It's hard to remember things!" he exclaimed.

"Yet you can remember anything about time and space." I pointed out.

"Time and space is easy! It's either black or white. Or orange. For some reason when you mix a future time in past space it turns orange."

Yeah, I didn't get any of that... I thought to myself. "Is there any other reason you burst into my room unannounced?"

"What I can't just pop in and say hello like a good friend?" he said with smile.

"Most friends don't wake me up before noon unannounced."

"Oh stuff it." he said. "Anyways, see you later. Bit of business down at Canterlot I'm needed with." He said and closed the door behind him.

"Finally." I whispered as I tried to go back to sleep.

The door burst open, making me jump out of bed. "Oh by the way, happy birthday!" The Doctor shouted as my brother jumped on me through the window.

"Hey! Get off me!" I shouted as I started to laugh. He was tickling me and I hated being tickled. I could never breathe after it.

"Only if you say I'm the best brother ever!" he said as he continued to tickle me.

"Get off of me! I swear to Celestia if you don't you'll regret it!" I threatened. It wasn't as threatening as I wanted since I was laughing hysterically.

"What? I can't hear you over how awesome I am!" he shouted.

"QUIT IT!!" I screeched. He burst out laughing and let me go. I just laid there gasping for air. "I'm...going...to hurt you..." I gasped.

"Haha if you say so." He grabbed a package from the Doctor and gave it to me. "Happy birthday champ."

The present was wrapped in a simple blue paper. I tore at the wrapping and opened up the brown box. Inside was a model of the Wonderbolts flying in their signature Blitz formation. The model was gold and had all the names of the Wonderbolts flight squad engraved on the bottom.

"Wow! Thanks Felix! That's so cool!" I said happily. I didn't have many Wonderbolts figurines, so this was a great addition to my collection.

"I was walking through Canterlot and saw it in a sport shop. Figured you'd like one since they're a bit expensive." he said.

"A bit? They're crazy expensive!" I said.

"Okay so yes they are pricy. But I knew you'd love it. And I figured maybe it'll make up for the fact that I'm never home anymore. I'm sorry about that." he said with his head low.

I put a hoof in his shoulder. "Hey, don't worry about it. You work a lot and that takes up a lot of your time." I said.

"I just feel like I'm letting somepony down. I keep remembering a word in my head whenever I think of home." he said with a saddened face.

"What word?" I asked.

He looked at me. "Ohana."

Family. I thought.

"I don't know what it means or where I heard it from, but I only remember it when I think of you or our old house." he explained.

My eyes moved to look at the Doctor. He nodded his head and I looked back to Felix. "Maybe it was mom?"

"Maybe. I don't remember anything about mom so it's possible. But I doubt it." he said.

"I remember some things." I said. He looked at me confused. "I remember a mare with a purple mane, a pink coat, and blue bolts for a cutie mark." He scratched his head. Fluttershy did the same thing... I realized. Nows my chance.

"She was kind to us. She didn't yell or scream unless we fought. Remember back when we were young, when I had just got my cutie mark? Dad and her got me a Wonderbolts costume with what little money we had to congratulate me. We bickered back and forth about who got what for their cutie mark."

He smiled. "I went to the Equestria Exchange."

"And you loved it! Mom and dad spent a fortune on that trip. And what did I do while we were in Canterlot?"

"You fussed the entire time saying that money was boring..." he said, scratching his head again.

"And in the motel room?" I asked.

"You and me fought all night about who was right. They...he..." he said as he grabbed his head in his hooves. "Why do I have such a migraine?" he said.

"Felix, look at me." I said. He turned to me, and I could see a faint color of gold in his eyes. Almost there. I thought. "A mare, our mom, put you and me on the same couch and forced us to have our hooves around each other. You said it was the worst experience of your life. And the next day, when I crashed into the side of a building by accident and almost broke my wing, you were there to take me to mom and make sure I was safe. Mom cried, fearing I had hurt myself beyond repair. Yet you kept talking to her and reassuring her that I was going to be fine."

His eyes grew a brighter gold. "It was the first time I knew how much you cared about me. After that, mom knew you and I were going to be closer than ever. And she was right. Time and circumstances may have separated us more than we would have liked, but not once have I thought that you were a disappointment. I have always admired you, and you know how hard it is for me to say that to ponies." I said giving a light chuckle. He was groaning now as a trickle of golden light seeped from his eyes.

"The Doctor took me to stop Fluttershy's mom from taking over the world with a mind control thing. She had mom with her and when we stopped her..." I stammered as I remembered that day. "She took mom and sucked her into the time vortex with her." I said, feeling a tear roll down my cheek. I felt a hoof on my shoulder. I looked up and saw Felix looking to my eyes, the gold glow gone and tears down his face as well. "Felix?"

He nodded his head and pulled me in close for a hug. "It's alright." he said.

I sniffled and began to sob into his shoulder. I couldn't help myself. All the memories began to run back to me and I revisited my mom's fall into the vortex. I felt another hoof on my shoulder. I looked up through my teary eyes and saw a purple mane lean forward. I looked at the pony's face and saw somepony I recognized. An old face that should have been lost.

I pulled out of the hug and stood up. "D-Doctor?" I said as I saw the pony in front of me. "Is she real? Is she r-really real?" I gasped out.

"Yes. She is." he said. I let out a cry and ran up to the pony who enveloped me.

"Happy birthday, Rainbow. Mom's here."