• Published 26th Nov 2012
  • 7,988 Views, 567 Comments

Rainbow's Parents: The Truth - Songbrony



Rainbow Dash has been living on her own since she was a filly. Nopony knows what happened. Until now

  • ...
21
 567
 7,988

The Journal Returns

"So, what's your butt mark supposed to be? It wasn't there when we were at camp." Gilda asked as we flew off the cloud.

"It signifies my need for speed. I got it in a race while defending a friend of mine. Created the legendary Sonic Rainboom and won the race." I boasted.

"Why am I not surprised you earned it in a race." she said. "And no matter how fast you are, I doubt you did that. It's impossible."

"I did!" I exclaimed.

"Then prove it slowpoke." she challenged. "Or are you too scared?"

I hadn't done it since that day, nor had I tried to do it. "I'm not scared! It's just that, well, you know, there isn't much room around Ponyville to do it." I said.

"Then we'll just fly up to Cloudsdale." she said.

"Why do you want to see me do it anyways?" I asked. I really didn't want to fail my attempt at the Sonic Rainboom in front of Gilda.

"One, because it would be too cool, and two, because you can't."

"Fine. I have some weather jobs I need to finish around town first. I'll catch ya' after." I said, hoping she might forget about it if we didn't talk about it. Besides, I had been really slacking on my weather duties as of late.

"Alright. I'm gonna go chow down!" Gilda said. I flew up into the clouds and began to clear the skies. It was fairly easy, but I took my time. In fact, I still finished in five minutes. I decided I'd take a short trip to Fluttershy's cottage and see how she was. I landed in front of her house and knocked on her door. I was greeted by Angel who looked at me confused. "Hey Angel. Is Fluttershy around?" I asked. I still didnt care for him even though I did give him to Fluttershy, but we got along okay.

He pointed at the calendar and I saw today's date circled. "Oh that's right. She's doing that duck walk today." I realized. "I guess I could go chill at home for a little bit. Gilda will most likely eat a bunch of food and then take a nap on a cloud like I would. Well darn. I guess I'll see you later furball." I said. He kicked my leg and closed the door. "Note to self: Have Fluttershy teach Angel respect." I said aloud. I flew to my house and noticed a blue box in my room.

What's he want now? I thought to myself. I flew to the window and peered in while staying out of sight. I saw him with his head underneath my bed and Derpy looking through Fluttershy's old desk.

"Ah-Ha! Here it is!" he shouted as he pulled a book out from underneath the bed. It wasn't Fluttershy's journal, that was in the drawer, and I couldn't get a good look at it from where I was.

"What is it?" Derpy asked.

"A very secretive book." he said as he pulled out his sonic screwy dewy thingy.

"Oooo. What kind of secrets?" Derpy asked intrigued.

"Apparently very dark and dangerous secrets. Ones that if ponies knew about, would change their view on that pony." he replied.

"Who's is it?" she asked.

"I don't know. Rainbow, mind helping me out with figuring it out?" he asked, not turning to me.

How... I thought to myself.

"Come on, Rainbow. You make more wing noise than any other Pegasus I know." he said.

"Wing noise?" I asked as I flew into my room.

"Most Pegasus don't realize that their wings make noise as they fly or hover. Most ponies don't even hear it. I, however, can hear every loud flapping sound coming from your back." he said, rather rudely. "Now hurry up, come on." he said motioning for me.

I walked up and looked at the journal and immediately recognized the writing. "It looks like Fluttershy's writing. But her journal is in my drawer, not underneath my bed." I said.

"Well, lets take a look inside shall we?" he said.

"Wait! Don't-" I shouted, but he opened the book before I could take it.

He stared at the book as if he were listening to something. "Well that is very peculiar. How did you get in there?" he asked.

"How did what get in where?" I asked.

"There are some small beings called the Vashta Nerada in the book. They're like piranhas, eating everything in their way. Good thing is there are too few of them to cause any damage." the Doctor said.

"How did they get in a book?" I asked.

"Oh! Oh! I know, I know!" Derpy exclaimed. "They became trapped by some magic right?"

"Precisely." he said, smiling at her. She beamed. It was the happiest I had seen her look in a long time. She's never looked sad, but she never, oh what's the word...glowed. I couldn't help but feel really happy for her. "You see, normally they just buzz around your head. But somepony placed them in this book, most likely hoping to get rid of anything in it."

"But why not just burn it? Or take it? Why trap something into a journal?" I asked.

"Chances are whoever did it knew that you might try to read it later. If you were unable to find it, that might have caused some problems." he said as he soniced the journal. "There ya' go. You're all free to go." he said to the journal.

"Who are you talking to?" I asked. "The Shasta Nerdada?"

"They're the Vashta Nerada. They were trapped in a book. But now that they're free, they can live normally. Right Doctor?" Derpy looked to him to see if she was right.

"Exactly right, Miss Ditzy." he said with a smile. I saw Derpy blush.

I shifted my focus to the journal. "Can I see that?" I asked, pointing to it. He gave it to me and I opened it. I saw that the first entry was a little faded, but was still legible. I turned towards the back of the journal and saw a new entry. "Entry 87: Rainbow Dash had this hidden in her drawer. Is it a dream journal? It has a lot of the dreams that I've been having in it. I wonder why she hasn't told me about it." I read aloud.

I flipped the page. My eyes widened as I saw that the words were written in large black text. "Entry 88: Remember. Remember. Remember." It was written all over the page. "What is this?" I asked to nopony in particular.

The Doctor walked over and looked at the entry. "Huh. Looks like somepony is trying to get her to remember something. Or she is having dreams that are telling her to remember."

I looked at it in disbelief. "So she might be remembering actual memories? Will she be able to act on them?" I asked.

"Doubtful. Maybe, but doubtful. Remember, while you were able to reverse my defenses, she still views them as only dreams. Whether or not she acts on those dreams is up to her." he said. I lowered my head. "Have you ever tried acting on your own personal feelings?" he asked me. "You know Fluttershy. She's probably too scared to act on them without fully knowing where you stand."

I guess me acting weirded out by us kissing was a bad idea then. I thought to myself. "I would, but a time never presents itself." I said.

"Oh, pttth. You have plenty of times. You just don't take them." he pointed out.

"Okay. Lets say I do end up acting on my feelings. What if she rejects me?"

"She won't." he said. I waited for him to say more, but he didn't.

"Doctor? Why would somepony want to erase words in a book?" Derpy asked.

"I have no idea, but I do plan to find out. A book can hold a lot of secrets. Someone wanted those secrets erased, but why?" he said as he looked at the book.

"Her dad? He's cheated death, maybe he escaped the crystal catacombs?"

"Wrong. He died while trying to escape." the Doctor replied casually.

I stated at him with my mouth open. "Wha-"

"Derpy does this taste funny to you?" he said, giving the journal to her. She looked at it confused. "Don't worry, it's safe to lick."

Derpy cautiously licked the journal and smacked her lips. "It tastes really sweet."

"That's because the pony who did this wasn't doing it for an evil purpose. The pony who did this was trying to help Fluttershy." he said. "Magic leaves behind a taste when it is cast depending on what itvs used for. Sweet is for good, sour is for evil, and tangy is for personal enjoyment."

"What about if they're practicing?" Derpy asked.

"It kind of tastes like pears. I hate pears. You don't want to know how many times I've tasted pears and wanted to curl up in a ball." he said.

"But how did he-" I was interrupted again.

"Can magic taste like muffins?" Derpy asked.

"In a manner of speaking. Magic can taste like anything really. Rainbows, peaches, apples, even tree bark." he explained.

"Doctor!" I shouted.

"What?"

"What happened to her dad?" I asked.

"He tried to escape. He wad flying when he was hit with a stunning spell by a guard. He fell and landed on top of a crystal. Went straight through him. Like a kebob." he said.

That's a...beautiful picture. I thought to myself, trying not to imagine what it would actually look like. "So...he can't hurt Fluttershy anymore? Like never again?"

"Nope. He's done. Finished. Kapoot." he said.

I gave a sigh of relief. I never felt like he would be able to do more harm after the Princess got ahold of him, but it was great knowing it would never happen again. "Hey Rainbow Dash!" I heard Pinkie call below. I poked my head out the window and looked to her. "I want to throw a party for Gilda! You know, like a welcome to Ponyville party." she said.

"Great idea Pinkie! I'll let her know there's a party for her." I said.

"Okey-dokie-loki! Oh! Come by early and set up some pranks! Maybe we can boost her mood!" she said happily.

"Alright. I'll see you there!" I said as she hopped away. I looked back to the Doctor, who looked at me with a raised eyebrow. "What?"

"Gilda?" he asked.

"My griffon friend."

"Ah. Griffons. You know, the ones who your parents were getting information on?" he said.

"She's different though. She's not trying to kill anyone." I said. "I've known her for awhile."

"Have you been keeping in contact with her over the years?"

"Well...no." I admitted.

"Be careful then. Griffons are tightly linked with each other." he said.

"Gotcha." I said. We stood there quietly for a few minutes. It was uncomfortable thinking that Gilda may know something about my parents.

"Rainbow? Don't you have a party to go to?" Derpy asked.

Always looking at the most important thing. I thought to myself sarcastically. "Yeah. I guess I should go to that."

"Right you should. In the mean time, we're going to figure out who did this." the Doctor said, motioning to the book.

"You mean we can't go to the party?" Derpy asked, saddened.

"Well, I mean, this could be important. Besides, a party with ponies talking, socializing, and dancing? If I wanted that I would've stayed with Victoria in her teen years." he said.

"But...Doctor...I like parties..." Derpy said with her head hung low.

I noticed the Doctor was having a battle in his mind on what to do. "I can take her while you go and figure out the journal." I offered.

"No. I'm not going if the Doctor isn't." she said quickly.

I looked to him. "If I were you, I'd go to the party. She needs you there." I said putting a foreleg around her shoulders.

The Doctor glared at me. "Okay. I'll go. But only for 10 minutes. We go in, eat cake, talk about pony things, then leave. That's it." he said, caving.

"Yay!" Derpy exclaimed and she began to jump around the room.

I looked at fhe Doctor and whispered, "You can't say no to her when she's sad, can you?"

"Oi! I can say no! It's just...not ethical." he said quietly.

"Hehe, if you say so. I'm going to go find Gilda and tell her about the party." I said and flew out the window. First, I need to set up those pranks at the party. I thought as I headed to Sugar Cube Corner.

I finished placing the pranks around the room and left to find Gilda. I was actually excited about the party for Gilda. She always enjoyed them and had no problem with pranks. I flew over Ponyville and found her asleep in the tree. It was another pass-time we shared together at camp.

An idea popped into my head. I flew up high and grabbed a cloud. I brought it down right next to her head and gave it a big kick. There was a loud boom and she screamed. "Aaah!!" she exclaimed.

"Bwahahaha!!" I laughed hysterically.

"Dash! What the heck!? I was sleeping!" she shouted at me.

"Why do you think I did it?" I asked her, still laughing.

"Why I otta'..." she groaned as she rubbed her eyes. "What is it? This had better be worth waking me up."

"There's a party at Sugar Cube Corner. Wanna come?" I asked.

"A party, huh? I'm game for it. As long as it's not lame." she said.

"It's not. It's being hosted by the best party animal of all time!" I said.

"Really?" she asked, unbelieving. "Who?"

"The one and only Pinkie Pie!" I told her. I think I heard her give a low groan. "Hey, everything alright G? I hope my jumpscare didn't upset you too much."

"I just don't want to be at a lame party. You sure it's going to good?" she asked.

"Of course! Since when did I lie about a party being fun?"

She sighed. "Okay. Lead the way, Dash."

Author's Note:

I would like to thank CountDerpy for editing these chapters. He is one of the reasons I'm able to get these out so fast. Check him out! He's a great writer!