• Published 12th Nov 2012
  • 1,636 Views, 3 Comments

Thirty Minute Express Train to Story Town - Predhack

  • ...
 3
 1,636

PreviousChapters Next
They Grow Up So Fast

“This isn’t fair.”

“Life rarely is, darlin’.”

“This isn’t what I expected at all. What happened to my plans?”

“Life is funny that way sometimes it’ll throw you a curve ball. Shoulda planned for something like this.”

“But why can’t he just fall for the old flank sway and eye flutter? Things would be so much better.”

“You would really prefer a stallion who only looks skin deep in a mare for this?”

“Well, no. But I can’t understand why things had to work out this way, I’m all for hard work and all but,” she sighed and ground out the last word, “farming…”

Applejack stopped loading the haybales into the cart and turned to stare at Rarity where she sat whining, no wait her voice wasn’t high enough that meant she was ‘complaining’.

“And what’s wrong with farming?” Applejack asked archly, causing Rarity to snap out of her fussy fugue to look at Applejack slightly shamefaced.

“Nothing. Farming is a very important job,” Rarity evaded. Her eyes slid across Applejack’s sweaty form and licked her lips. “And some ponies can look very good doing it.” Applejack coughed deliberately, and Rarity snapped back to her original subject like she hadn’t been about to diverge wildly. “But why can’t she impress this stallion with some of her other skills? It seems like just yesterday she was excited to be helping me with my dresses.”

Applejack dropped another bale on the cart and answered, “That was yesterday. She was down at the boutique with you for hours trying on dresses and carrying on and such. But a young mare will do a lot of things to catch a stallion or mare’s eye.”

“I just don’t want to think she’s doing something she’s going to regret.”

“Well.” Applejack closed the back of the cart as she finished loading the cart. “You can bring it up with her.” Applejack nodded toward the gate to Sweet Apple Acres where gold colored unicorn mare was approaching with haste.

“Mama, mom,” the mare skidded to a stop between Rarity and Applejack and spoke excitedly, “He asked to take me to dinner this evening. We’re going out tonight!” the mare’s voice seemed to bounce between the accents of the mares she stood between depending on which she was looking at at any given moment.

Rarity smiled and tried to cover a look of distress as she took in her daughter’s appearance. A day’s work had not agreed with the mare and she looked like she’d gotten into a wrestling match with a pony made of mud. Large patches of her coat were smeared brown and the dirt caked in her navy blue mane made it appear grungy and unappealing. “That’s very nice, dear,” she managed to get out between excited descriptions of what the date would entail.

“Oh I just can’t wait! I-“ The mare cut herself off as she raised her hooves to her face and seemed to notice the dirt there for the first time. “Celestia’s molted wing feathers I’m filthy!” she cried out.

“Language!” Applejack’s pleased smile fell as she spat out the admonishment before turning to confusion. “Wait, you mean you didn’t notice?”

“I’m never going to get clean in time for tonight,” the mare wailed running past Rarity into the house.

Rarity blinked at the sudden turn and then gave Applejack a gleeful smile. Applejack replied by rolling her eyes and watching as Rarity rushed to her feet and into the house with a dramatic cry of, “Don’t worry dear! Mommy’s coming!”

Applejack laughed quietly to herself for a moment and looked after the pair. “The more things change the more they stay the same.” She back toward the wagon then flinched suddenly at the familiar sound of the “rainy day” jar of bits smashing somewhere in the house, she started to call out a complaint but was beaten to the punch by Rarity’s declaration of a spa emergency.

“I never should of agreed to calling that an emergency the first time,” Applejack grumbled, “’Precedent’ my appled flank.” She looked at the loaded wagon and then smirked. “Bucks McGillicutty? Kicks McGee? Let’s go put the fear of Mama Applejack into that stallion.”

“You stay away from that boy!” Rarity yelled, poking her head out the front door of the house, “No threats until AFTER.”

“But,” Applejack protested for a moment before relenting, “Fine, but I’m going to spy on those two for their entire date!”

Rarity’s head popped out again and shushed her, “Of course we are darling. As if we were ever going to do anything else.”

Author's Note:

The prompt: A lot changes when you’re a teenager.

A long time passed between prompts this time and this thing I cranked out doesn't do much for me. It's alright I guess.

http://thirtyminuteponies.tumblr.com/post/44641493673/prompt-278-compilation-growing-pains-theme-week

PreviousChapters Next