• Published 11th Nov 2012
  • 7,885 Views, 578 Comments

A Day With Friends - MyOpinionIsSuperior



Rainbow Dash's son learns that he can always depend on his friends to help him with his problems. O

  • ...
21
 578
 7,885

Fear Itself

Pound Cake wasn’t having a very good day, to say the least. He knew the day would be anything but fun the minute his parents announced that they would be headed to Canterlot to participate in a television show about over-decorated pastries and confectionaries. And when they left the twins alone, it was bound to happen. It always happened every single time. Pumpkin Cake would flutter her eyelashes and melt their father’s heart, giving herself unsaid authority over her twin brother for the remainder of their time alone together. The stupid Daddy’s little girl stereotype even got him stuck babysitting on an important date night, when she ditched him to do it by himself- although he was elated to learn who it was he would be babysitting. He wouldn’t let Pumpkin Cake know that little detail- not as long as he could hold some emotional blackmail over her head. He did have another trick up his sleeve, even if he hated to admit it. As much as Pumpkin was Daddy’s little girl, one could say he was definitely a-

Mamma’s boy!

Pound Cake shifted slightly in his sleep, disturbed by the slight noise that gurgled across the brook of his unconsciousness. The disturbance allowed him to enter a semi-lucid state, giving the elder colt enough leeway to begin the process of collecting his thoughts.

What had happened today, anyways? Pound Cake fought to remember, his grogginess scattering the feeble attempts to-

Mamma’s boy!”

There it was again. The sound was clearer to Pound this time around- a voice, and familiar too. It wasn’t just the voice- everything was becoming clearer. Suddenly, he remembered. He woke up, did his chores, got the news from Pinkie about her friends having a surprise visit, continued his chores, and then went upstairs to deal with-

Surprise! Pound Cake screamed internally. Of course it was Surprise- how hadn’t it been obvious even when he was unconscious? The colt’s eyes shot open, his blurred vision allowing a collage of whites, yellows and purples to come into focus. Sure enough, the opal pegasus filly came into view, burning purple eyes locked on him. She smirked, her curly blonde main bobbing with every slow shake of her head.

“Finally woke up, eh Mamma’s boy?” Surprise sneered, her voice teasing and cruel. Pound Cake made to lunge at the filly, only to fall onto his muzzle as his legs met sudden resistance. Holding up a forehoof, Pound discovered both front hooves had been hoof-cuffed to the post of the bed. He looked at his captor inquisitively.

“Hoof-Cuffs?”

The snowy pegasus shrugged, seemingly understanding of the colt’s confusion. “I found them in your parents’ room. Beats me what they were in there for, but they’re sure keeping you in place.”

Pound Cake blanched, pushing aside several horrific mental scenarios that tried to force their way into his imagination. Deciding to move the conversation forward, he flashed the little filly a small smile.

“I gotta give you props, Surprise. I’m not even sure how you managed to pull this off.”

“That’s because the sleeping pills haven’t left you yet,” She replied nonchalantly, examining a hoof with fake disinterest as she played with her prey. She looked up, an eyebrow raised condescendingly. “You really can’t resist scones, can you?”

“You drugged me?!” Pound growled, yanking the cuffs against the bedpost, only to rediscover that he was hopelessly captured.

“Yep,” She confirmed, putting down her hoof. Surprise trotted to the opposite side of the room and approached a wooden chest, creaking it open. Items scattered as she rummaged, her voice somewhat duller as it echoed around the wooden structure. “We’re going to have so much fun, mamma’s boy. Just you and me- no interruptions.”

Pound Cake began sweating, fearing the young filly’s words. “C-c’mon now, sweetheart. Let’s not do anything too crazy.”

The pegasus filly turned to face her panicked ‘babysitter’, a misleading warm smile stretched on her muzzle and her front hooves behind her back. She buzzed over on her wings in a flash, shoving a sock she had pulled from the chest into the beige colt’s mouth with her forehoof. With a wicked grin, Surprise revealed the other forehoof from behind her back, the keratin sporting a pair of vicious pliers. Pound screamed into the sock, his muffled voice barely increasing in volume as the filly advanced.


“That is a… very charming invitation, Connie,” Fancy Pants said hesitantly, ears pinned back as he continued to read the beautiful, flowing caligraphy. “I had no idea you had such a colorful vocabulary to describe your feelings on paper to your dear cousin.”

“That gold digger’s nothin’ but a silly filly who can’t see past her own reflection,” Pure Connoisseur huffed, finishing the letter with a very violent period.

On the other side of the main room, Fleur de Lis, unaware to the violent language across the room, had busied herself by modeling her dress in front of the Boutique’s vanity mirror. She payed no heed as Braeburn rushed to and from the kitchen, desperately trying to revive his unconscious wife, as she lay incapacitated on the couch. Sprits of tea scattered onto the wooden floor when a ceramic tray wobbled precariously on the cowpony’s back, his priorities placing Rarity’s consciousness over the floor’s spotless appearance. With only Fancy Pants and Connie left unoccupied and conscious, the latter had volunteered to send invitations to her dear friends and relatives under the elder pony’s supervision. The task seemed simple enough to the blue-maned stallion, and he was quite impressed with the cordial diction Rarity’s child had chosen throughout her writing, at least until the time came for her to invite her distant family. Fancy Pants took the quill from Connie’s hoof with the faint glow emanating from his horn, his telekinetic grasp scratching out the less flattering content of her message.

“How about we word this a little... more delicately,” The stallion smiled, ignoring the young filly’s indignant look as she pouted at the interruption. “Let’s imitate your style for Gizmo and Surprise’s letters.”

“Aye don’t know what yer talkin’ about,” Connie lied, eyes half lidded in an unamused stare. Fancy Pants chuckled softly, deciding to play her game.

“Well for starters, instead of calling Surprise a cruel prankster, you simply stated you ‘wished for today’s activities to remain carefree and family fun for everypony’. And for Gizmo, you insisted that he ‘leave all technology at home so that his first live performance of a Wonderbolt’s aerial performance would be free from distractions’.”

The pale filly looked away, refusing to meet Fancy Pant’s knowing gaze. “Connie dear, wouldn’t your other cousin appreciate a warm welcome as well?”

“They’re maye second cousins,” She corrected him. Still looking away, the Earth filly pulled out a new sheet of paper and began her second draft, eliciting a warm smile from her supervisor. Twenty seconds passed before she was done, dotting the end of the paper and handing the paper off behind her. Fancy Pants’ eyes moved side to side as they traced the lettering. Head nodding in approval of the updated invitation, the noblepony cast his judgment vocally.

“Wonderful work, my dear! Now the last is simply for Fluttershy and her boy.”

Capricorn?!” The filly shrieked, becoming the center of attention for everypony in the room, including her now-conscious mother. She shook her head violently, as if the name had tainted her. “ Aye can’t stand that boy, and there ain’t no way Aye’m sendin’ that rude, filly-lookin’ colt anything written by maye hoof!”

Fleur de Lis blinked twice, her lip slightly pouting as she looked at Pure Connoisseur with concern. “But isn’t it just as rude to leave the poor dear uninvited?”

“Or ta’ even call him girly,” Braeburn added, approaching his daughter with a stern gaze. “Ya’ know better than that little lady, ‘specially when it ain’t true. Ever since he got a proper haircut, he looks just as coltish as any other… well colt. Ya’ were even speechless yerself when ya’ saw him.”

“Well it simply was just such a transformation,” Rarity said, intervening herself between her child and the present company. Fleur put a hoof to her mouth to conceal the slightest gasp as the gears in her mind turned. If Rarity noticed, she paid the mare’s revelation no heed. She instead smiled sweetly, addressing Fancy Pants with the slightest nod. “Would it be all right with you to write the final invitation? I believe I have a few… select words to say with my daughter in private. We shouldn’t be too long.”

“Not at all, my dear,” The classy stallion said with a polite nod. Mother and daughter turned to leave at Rarity’s cue with Braeburn following in the rear. An alabaster hoof stopped him in his place, prompting a confused frown from the golden stallion. Rarity frowned slightly, her ears pinned back with true regret.

“I’m sorry, darling. But I believe it would be in our daughter’s best interest if we had this conversation one on one.”

“B-but Ah have as much a right ta’ be there for any ol’ family meetin’,” Braeburn stammered, fighting to argue with the glistening sapphire eyes that begged him to drop the matter. “There ain’t nothin’ she shouldn’t be able ta’ tell me that she can’t tell you, ya’ hear?”

“I understand well and clearly, my love, but this really is something I must speak to her with- alone,” Rarity pleaded, wrapping her flawless hooves around her husband as she rested her muzzle next to his ear. “Please, Braeburn. Celestia knows she’ll have a hard enough time coming to terms with it even in private with me.”

They broke their embrace, the cowpony dejectedly standing his ground as he watched his wife turn tail and climb the stairs of their boutique, daughter in tow. Connie looked back only once, making painful eye contact with her father and breaking it only once Rarity took her hoof. The stallion was left alone in the boutique with his prestigious company with awkward silence hanging thickly in the air, its only interruptions the sound of Fancy Pants’ quill scratching parchment.

Author's Note:

Just wanted to get another chapter out- now it's time to go back to my study cave.