• Published 11th Nov 2012
  • 7,878 Views, 578 Comments

A Day With Friends - MyOpinionIsSuperior



Rainbow Dash's son learns that he can always depend on his friends to help him with his problems. O

  • ...
21
 578
 7,878

Far From The Tree

“Today you’re learnin’ how to buck like a real Apple! Pay close attention, sugarcube.”

The ‘sugarcube’ addressed was a very bored, very beautiful little filly. Her light caramel-colored coat practically glimmered in the sunlight, blemished only by three white freckles adorning her cheeks on each side. Her styled, strawberry-blonde mane and tail folded into luscious curls free from split ends. A curl of her mane looped in front of each ear, joining the rest that cascaded in thick spirals down her neck. She stifled a yawn with her hoof, disinterested in whatever it was her mentor had to say.

“Golden Delicious! Pay attention!” Applejack barked.

Golden Delicious gave her a bitter look as her vermillion eyes strayed upward.

“Yes, Mama,” she drawled, her voice thick like honey and laced with a strong southern accent.

Applejack struck a back leg out in demonstration, meeting the bark of one of her beloved apple trees. The resulting collision shook the entire tree, relinquishing its precious fruit in submission. She smiled and looked down at her disgruntled child.

“All right, Goldy, you try it,” she said, forcing herself to wear a smile larger than what should have been natural.

Golden Delicious turned her cheek and closed her eyes, refusing to meet her mother eye to eye. Applejack let out an exasperated groan and stomped on the ground in frustration.

“Dog gone-it, Golden Delicious! This ain’t about that fancy Photo Whatsit business, is it?”

Golden Delicious cracked an eye open.

Photo Finish, Mama, wanted to give me the golden opportunity to be her cover model for all them fashion magazines. Ah could’ve been a star if Ah didn’t need no permission from you or Daddy.”

“Ah told you, sugarcube, Ah’m sorry,” Applejack solemnly said. She placed a comforting hoof on her daughter’s shoulder. “But your daddy and me didn’t think you were quite ready for that kind of responsibility. Ah know you’ll get the chance again when you’re a little bigger and even prettier.”

“Flattery won’t work on me, Mama,” she growled, shrugging her mother’s hoof off. She turned a hoof up, examining it thoroughly. “Besides, Ah already know all that. Ah just don’t wanna ruin my hooficure. Can’t let Miss Aloe and Lotus’ hard work go to waste, and if anypony knows hard work, it’s you Mama.”

“Why Ah, you can’t just compare, Ah mean,” Applejack fumbled with her words. Taking a breath, she collected herself. “You can always get another hooficure, sugarcube. But you gotta learn from a young age the value of a hard day’s work.”

“Ah do know the value, Mama,” Golden Delicious huffed. “Ain’t nothin’ but a drop in the bucket of our profits. Why don’t we just hire somepony to do all that hard work for us?”

“Golden Delicious!” Applejack bellowed. “That ain’t the attitude Ah wanna hear from my own kin! This farm has been run by the Apple family generation to generation, and we only accept help from our friends or during the Winter Wrap Up preparations!”

“But Mama,” she cooed, a cocky smile crawling across her face. “If ya’ll didn’t accept help during them preparations, then you and Daddy would’ve never seen each other in… that kinda way. He even stuck around the farm just to spend more time with you. If you ask me, ain’t nothin’ but good things that can happen from hirin’ some help.”

“Yeah, uh, well Ah married him lickity split and brought him into the Apple family, and there ain’t nopony left here to get married,” Applejack smirked, happy to find a loophole in her daughter’s surprisingly solid logic. “Tradition still holds.”

Golden Delicious’ expression dropped; her eyes narrowed in annoyance.

“Fine, if family’s gotta help on the farm then why don’t ya’ll have Gizmo workin’ ‘round here? Ain’t fair to ask such a pretty thing such as myself to help you and Uncle Macintosh when that colt gets to tinker around on his silly little projects.”

Applejack broke into a cold sweat.

“A-ah, well that is, he can’t! He’s a unicorn and, uh, he ain’t got natural muscles like us earth ponies do. Simple as that!” She forced a grin, her poker face failing as Golden Delicious’ eyes bore into hers.

“Pardon the language, Mama,” She snipped, agitation laced in her tone, “But that’s a load of horseapples and ya’ll know it! He can buck like any other Apple, and Ah know you ain’t lettin’ him round here ‘cuz you’re just scared he’ll blow up the barn again! All we gotta do is take away those silly toys of his. Ain’t fair to force me alone into it!”

Golden Delicious finished her rant with a kick of her leg, puncturing a deep hole into the bark of the tree. Apples showered onto the two earth ponies, filling the baskets laid out and littering the ground as they overflowed. Applejack gawked at her flustered daughter, who was more preoccupied eyeing over her back hoof.

“Now look at what you made me do Mama,” she whined, holding up the flawless hoof. “Ah got all worked up and now there’s a scratch on my hoof!”

Applejack leaned forward to inspect her daughter’s ‘injury’. She got up close and squinted, straining to find any imperfection on the keratin. Her eyes detected the slightest nick on the very bottom of the hoof. Applejack’s eyes wandered over to the tree, which had been less fortunate in the violent outcome. Bark splintered jaggedly away from the hole Golden Delicious had left, causing the farmer to swallow the lump in her throat.

“Woah nelly,” she gasped quietly. Looking back at her impatient daughter, she planted a kiss on the hoof and stroked her cheek. “Now now, sugarcube. Ain’t nothin’ but a tiny tiny scratch. Nopony will ever notice it. Ah gotta say, Ah am proud of them leg muscles you got, but Ah’m gonna have to ask you to tone the kicks down a might. That tree’s gonna die now, and Ah can’t afford to replace every single one.”

Golden Delicious smiled confidently, examining the hoof thoroughly.

“You know, Mama, Ah think Ah could afford to scratch up my perfect little hooves a couple times; nuthin’ the spa can’t fix. Kickin’ that hard really lets off some steam, and for whatever reason Ah’m feeling a might stressed out right now.”

Applejack released an audible sigh, apparently accepting defeat.

“All right, Golden Delicious. You win. You don’t have to applebuck today, on one condition.”

“And what would that be, Mama?”

“That would be providin’ you find somethin’ more productive to do with your time within the next five minutes,” she said, giving a small smile. “And the spa don’t count.”

Golden Delicious looked at her mother in bitter silence. Applejack looked back in smug confidence. The tension broke as an earsplitting screech drew the attention from both ponies. They looked up, seeing streak of rainbow shoot overhead into the orchard. The scratchy wailing became drowned out by a louder crashing noise filled with the sound of crushed foliage.

“That… that couldn’t have been Rainbow Dash,” Applejack drawled out loud.

Realization struck her, enticing a wide smile on her muzzle. “Well butter my biscuit, I plum forgot Rainbow Blitz was gettin’ foalsat by Fluttershy today. Woowee, it sure looks like she’s got her hooves full if she let that colt ricochet through the sky like that!”

“Mmmm, he sure was flyin’ awful fast,” Golden Delicious purred, fluttering her eyelashes remarkably fast. She adopted a dreamy gaze, zoning out into the distance where he had crashed. “Ah bet he tastes like zap apple jam on a honey bun.”

“Yeah, Ah... wait, what?!” Applejack croaked.

“Ah said that honeybun looks like zap apple jam,” Golden Delicious smirked, her tone overflowing with confidence. She trotted past her worried mother, tutting as she shook her head. “Really, Mama. You must learn to pay attention. That’s gotta be the tenth time you’ve misunderstood me this week. Ah think a hearin’ aid is in order.”

“Ah ain’t that old,” Applejack huffed. “Looks like he crashed in the south field. Ah think we better go check up on him to make sure he ain’t too banged up, dontcha think so-“

She paused, realizing she was talking to thin air.

“… Golden Delicious?”