• Published 11th Nov 2012
  • 7,870 Views, 578 Comments

A Day With Friends - MyOpinionIsSuperior



Rainbow Dash's son learns that he can always depend on his friends to help him with his problems. O

  • ...
21
 578
 7,870

Conflict

The Wonderbolt family touched down on the outskirts of Ponyville. Rainbow Blitz shivered as he gazed at the fringes of the Everfree Forest. He didn’t know why the foliage froze his heart, but he was certain it was one mystery he could leave unsolved. Soarin’ noticed Blitz’s involuntary spasm, and was quick to react in his usual manner.

“He’s cold Dashie! I knew we should’ve packed a sweater! Why did we think a scarf would be enough to keep him warm?”

“I’m not cold, Daddy,” Blitz said dryly. “I just don’t like that forest. I really don’t like that forest.”

He hopped off his father’s back, landing smoothly on the soft grass. Several butterflies scattered from their shelter in the turf, spiraling above his head and fleeing into the forest.

“See Soarin’, I told you there wasn’t anything to worry about.”

“I still say we should’ve taken the saddle,” her husband replied, disgruntled that his son had maintained his seat the entire flight.

“Oh, I don’t know about that. He’s such a big boy now, aren’t you, Rainbow Blitz?”

All three pegasus ponies turned their attention toward the new, tender, and remarkably sweet voice. There was no mistaking the soft-yellow pegasus pony, her pink mane and tail sprouting like the petals of a delicate flower. Fluttershy turned her gaze behind her, one eyebrow raised quizzically at a soft green light radiating from the foliage.

“Don’t you want to say hello to your friend?”

“In a second, Mom,” a gruff voice responded. “I’m casting a spell that hypnotizes these snakes into thinking they’re rabbits. Hehehe, you should see the looks on their faces when they see each other, hahahaha.”

“Capricorn!” Fluttershy gasped. “That’s not a very nice thing to do! Now you undo that spell right now and say hello to our friends, young colt!”

“Fiiiine,” the voice whined. The light disappeared with the sound of rustling grass. Rainbow Blitz smiled as a colt around his age emerged from the brush. While his blonde mane was cut fairly short, it retained his mother’s smooth, flowing image in the areas it didn’t split around his horn or from cowlicks. His salmon-colored coat contrasted pleasantly with his teal eyes, though his most interesting feature was the pair of wings that sprouted from his back. The alicorn colt bumped hooves with his friend, chuckling in a rough voice.

“Rainbow Blitz, my favorite prankster. I thought I’d never see you again after that gag at the Summer Sun Celebration.”

All parents present flinched at the memory of that particular ceremony. While Rainbow Dash and Soarin’ were still humiliated about their son ruining one of Princess Celestia’s most sacred traditions, Fluttershy’s main concern was over the condition of her bird friends after they flew away in panic. Capricorn continued, despite the embarrassed looks the two Wonderbolts were radiating.

“It’s a good thing too. Your pranks are hardcore, but at least nopony gets really hurt. I can’t tell you how many bruises I’ve gotten from Surprise’s pranks, although I gave her some nice ones in return.” He stopped a hoof on the ground, leaving a threatening imprint in the grass.

“Cappy, shame on you! Violence is never the answer, and you should know better than to hit a girl! Surely Princess Celestia taught you better than that! Surely I taught you better than that!” Fluttershy protested, visibly flustered from her son’s violent statement.

“Surprise isn’t a girl,” Capricorn grumbled. “She’s a demon in filly skin.”

“Cheers to that,” Rainbow Dash drawled absent-mindedly. The shocked stares from all four ponies brought her back to reality. “Oh… did I say that out loud? Hehehe… oops.”

“Oh, I’m sure her heart is… in the right place,” Fluttershy said, though the lack of certainty in her delivery didn’t show she believed in her own statement. She turned her attention to Soarin’. “Now then, just to make sure everypony is happy, I have a nice schedule for us to follow for the whole day. We’ll go back and finish feeding my animal friends at the cottage, and then it’s off to this nice little café that serves these tasty and healthy salads. After a yummy lunch, we’ll go to Sugarcube Corner for a little treat, and then to the library where Twilight can teleport us to Cloudsdale.”

“Is it safe to teleport that far?” Soarin’ asked nervously.

“She’s teleported us farther with less time to concentrate Soarin’, calm down already,” Rainbow Dash badgered. She changed her demeanor quickly, addressing Fluttershy. “It sounds like an awesome plan, Fluttershy. Thank you so much for watching him while we rehearse the show, and thanks a bunch for volunteering to take him too. You know Spitfire would have given us time to pick him up, especially since the media’s expecting a little routine from him too.”

“Oh it’s no trouble at all, Rainbow Dash,” Fluttershy politely replied. “And the tickets you gave us was such a nice gesture. Cappy has wanted to go to a Wonderbolt’s show for quite some time now. Although, I do know he wished his father could take him instead-“

“Don’t sweat it, Mom,” the alicorn colt interrupted, waving a hoof in the air casually. “Dad’s busy punishing bad guys in the Princess’ courts, I get it.”

“He uses lie detection spells and many others to solve cases, Capricorn! He doesn’t punish them!” Fluttershy barked. Suddenly aware of her raised volume, she blushed, scuffing a hoof on the ground awkwardly. “So, um, I guess this is where we go now. Now don’t you worry about a thing, Soarin’. His medical information is backed up in the Ponyville hospital, I have access to several messengers in case of emergency, I’ve been trained in CPR, and Twilight is just a short walk away in case he needs to be teleported anywhere. I know he doesn’t have any allergies, but I have a list of common allergenic foods to avoid, just in case.”

Soarin’ gawked, unable to think of any paranoid worries to add to Fluttershy’s extensive list. Rainbow Dash laughed, patting him roughly on the back.

“Hehehe, you should see the look on your face, Soarin’! I knew Fluttershy would be the one pony that could leave you speechless when it came to Blitz’s safety. Now c’mon we got practice. Give Mommy and Daddy a kiss, Rainbow Blitz.”

Blitz obliged with a strong blush tingeing his cheeks, mostly due to Capricorn’s snickering. He watched in awe as Soarin’ and Rainbow Dash took off into the air at high speeds, quickly fading into the distance. A familiar sensation overtook him, as it always did: loneliness.

“Are you all right, Rainbow Blitz?”

Fluttershy’s question brought the colt out of his trance.

“Huh? Uh… yeah, sure. Let’s go feed some critters!” He smiled with fake enthusiasm, hoping to fool his sitter. Fluttershy cocked an eyebrow in suspicion but said nothing. She led the way into town, giving the two colts appropriate space for private conversation.

“Soooooo,” Capricorn began. “You miss them, don’t you?”

Rainbow Blitz scrunched his eyes in confusion.

“Miss what now?”

“Your parents, you doofus. I saw the look on your face when they took off. You looked like my Mom after she releases her monarch butterflies into the wild for their migration.” He smirked as Blitz’s cheeks took on a rosy hue. “There’s no point in denying it. Your face says everything.”

Rainbow Blitz hung his head, avoiding any eye contact with his companion. Capricorn pinned his ears back in regret as he tried to think of a way to backpedal out of the topic. The two continued to drift further from Fluttershy as they slowed their pace.

“Hey now, it’ll be okay! I’m sure you’ll get to go to their practices eventually, just gotta wait a little is all.” He winked theatrically, hoping to lift the mood. Blitz drew his head up, making direct eye contact.

“Don’t you miss your Dad, Cappy?”

The young alicorn drew back in surprise at his question.

“Well, not really. I mean if I was in anypony else’s horseshoes I probably would. He works long hours, but he takes me to the castle for my lessons every school day. It’s not too far from where he works, and Princess Celestia scheduled our lunches together. She also made a deal with the interrogation division to make sure Dad gives me an hour of combat practice three days a week.”

“Interra what now?”

Interrogation. It means they question criminals, and when they don’t give the right answers, it’s up to my dad to make sure they’re being honest.” Capricorn explained. “Anyways, combat practice is just us blowing stuff up. Dad says he’s not teaching me how to fight with my hooves until he knows he won’t break me. As for missing him, I see him in lunch and lessons and he teleports us to Canterlot, so he can be home in a second if Mom and me need him.” He shrugged. “I guess it’s hard to miss somepony when you see them all the time.”

Rainbow Blitz sighed, envious of his friend. “Yeah, I guess…”

“Well if it isn’t the royal snot!”

Capricorn jerked his head toward the snide remark.

“What do you want, Storm Kicker?!” he bellowed.

An older, grey pegasus colt with a trimmed purple mane smirked confidently. To his left and right was an orange earth pony filly and green unicorn colt, both with stockier builds and monotonous color patterns. They looked expectantly at their leader, waiting for him to lash out at Capricorn again.

“What’s the matter, your princeliness? Too royal to mingle with us lowly commoners?”

“No, too smart to hang with idiots like you three!” He hissed back.

Storm Kicker ignored the insult, directing his attention toward Rainbow Blitz. “I haven’t seen you before.” He stepped forward, grabbing a lock of red and orange mane. “What’s with the hair? You dye it just to look like Rainbow Dash or somethin’? Does the wittle confused colt wanna be a silly filly? Look guys, he even has her scarf.”

Blitz slapped the hoof away.

“Back off, jerk!” he growled.

“Check it out guys! Cappy’s little friend’s got some spunk.” All three stepped forward menacingly. “I like spunk. Makes it more fun when they cry.”

“That… might not be such a good idea.” Capricorn flashed the three bullies a coy smile. “I mean, it’s obvious why you wouldn’t even think about touching me. But him? Do you even know who he is?”

The trio looked at each other with worried expressions.

“This colt, the one you just made fun of and said you were gonna beat up, is Rainbow Dash’s son. Rainbow Blitz doesn’t need to dye his hair like a rainbow, because it’s natural, you morons.”

You’re Rainbow Blitz? As in, the kid who’s performing at the Wonderbolts show this afternoon?” Storm Kicker scoffed, pulling his muzzle into a wicked grin. “They only let you do that cuz of your mommy. Face it kid, you’re riding off of your parents’ legacy. I bet you can’t even do a Sonic Rainboom.”


Fluttershy walked past the library, growing impatient at the colts’ privacy. Clearing her throat, she addressed the vacant air.

“Now then boys, I know it’s fun to catch up, but I can tell good stories too! Why, just the other day I saw a nest of baby birds hatch! You really don’t have to be so quiet…. too quiet.” She turned around quickly to face nothing but air. “Oh no, Rainbow Dash will never hear the end of it from Soarin’ if something bad happens! C’mon Fluttershy, they couldn’t have gone too far!”

Fluttershy retraced her steps in a canter, panicking as she thought of any trouble the children could have gotten into.

They could be hurt, or lost, or even scared! Oh Fluttershy, you’re the worst parent ever. I’ll bet they’re… completely fine.

Fluttershy came to a halt as she saw the five young ponies talking.

Oh how wonderful! They’re making friends with some of the other children. She inched closer until she paused. Oh Fluttershy, you really should give them their privacy. They’re growing up! They don’t need you breathing down their necks the whole time.

She watched with muted interest as Capricorn pointed to Rainbow Blitz. The smug smile on his muzzle was too tempting.

Well I guess it couldn’t hurt if I listened to just a little bit of it…

Fluttershy crept behind a nearby building, sticking one yellow ear out to eavesdrop on the children.

“Face it kid, you’re riding off of your parents’ legacy. I bet you can’t even do a Sonic Rainboom.”

Well that’s not a very nice thing to say. These boys sound like bullies.

She peeked her head from the building’s bend. Fluttershy’s eyes went wide with recognition.

Oh no, that’s Storm Kicker! Oh Cappy, what’ve you gotten Blitz into?

Capricorn pointed an accusing hoof at the ringleader of the older colts.

“Oh yeah? How do you know he can’t do a Sonic Rainboom? You’ve never seen him fly!”

Storm Kicker gave a cruel laugh and glared menacingly down at the two younger colts.

“All talk like always, Cappy. Face it; Rainbow Dash is the only pegasus who can do the Sonic Rainboom. This kid doesn’t have the skills to try something like that.”

“Now wait up, you big blowhard,” Capricorn barked. “He definitely does have the skills to try it.”

Well this seems familiar, Fluttershy thought, a wave of nostalgia hitting her.

“No he doesn’t, cuz he’s just a no-talent little shrimp.”

Rainbow Blitz fidgeted awkwardly. Capricorn took no notice of his friend’s discomfort and lashed back at their bullies.

“Then show up at the Wonderbolts show and see for yourself!”

Fluttershy bit her lip. Very, very familiar.

“Oh wait, it’s sold out.” He stuck his tongue out with a smug grin. “Too bad.”

Storm Kicker’s wicked smile didn’t fade.

“I do have tickets and I will see it for myself.”

Rainbow Blitz broke into a cold sweat. All confident features on Capricorn’s face turned to pure shock.

“H-how did-“

“I have connections,” Storm Kicker interrupted. He turned to leave, shooting a confident glance back at the two dumbstruck colts. “Can’t wait to see you perform, Rainbow Blitz. Or should I say, Rainbow Ditz!”

“Huh, yeah,” the unicorn chimed in. “Make sure to show up, or you’ll be… uh… Rainbow Quits!”

Their faint comments of approval among each other could be heard as they walked away from the defeated youngsters. Rainbow Blitz shot a panicked look at his friend.

“Cappy! What have you done?! I can’t do the Sonic Rainboom! I haven’t even tried!”

Capricorn regained his composure, flashing Blitz a small grin.

“Well how do you know you can’t if you haven’t tried it yet? C’mon, I bet you can learn it before the show. Imagine what everypony will say if you manage to pull that off!”

No!”

Both colts jumped in surprise as Fluttershy abandoned her hiding spot behind the building. Capricorn stammered as he fought against his mother’s stern look.

“M-mom! H-how long were you-“

“Enough to see what kind of mess you just made, young colt!” She turned her attention to both of them. “Now there will be no Sonic Rainbooms, and no attempts at Sonic Rainbooms as long as I’m in charge! Do you understand?! Rainbow Blitz, I promised to look after you and it would be irresponsible on my part to let you even try something like that.”

Capricorn’s jaw dropped in horror at the implications.

“B-but those jerks-“

“Are bullies and will leave you alone, eventually. All they can do is say mean words. I’m in charge, and I want you both to follow me back to the cottage; that’s an order! And no more wandering off! We have a long day ahead of us.”

Fluttershy turned to leave for her cottage, looking back to make sure both boys were in tow. Capricorn’s head hung as he looked at the ground, and Rainbow Blitz eye’s darted around in panic. Their pathetic looks tugged at her heartstrings.

Poor things, she thought, sympathizing their misery. I’m sure they’ll feel better after a nice, relaxing day in Ponyville.

She resumed her path forward, not noticing Capricorn looking up with a confident smirk on his muzzle.

The day has just begun, Mom, he brooded. It has only just begun.