• Published 1st Nov 2012
  • 4,166 Views, 1,525 Comments

The Darkness in our Souls - Black Light



Shadowmere knows fear, he knows hate, and he knows darkness. In fact, he knows everypony's.

  • ...
43
 1,525
 4,166

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 44

Chapter 44

Prowler and I both sat in front of the girls the both of us receiving a long winded speech from Rarity about what a real gentlecolt should act like. I stopped listening after about the tenth minute. However, I don’t think Prowler ever stopped listening, but in order to stop listening you also have to start.

“And furthermore… Are you even listening to me?!” I heard her say.

“Not gonna lie, no I’m not, but in my defense I did last longer than him.” I answered pointing at Prowler.

“What are you talking about? He’s been concentrating intently ever sense I started. He’s hardly even blinked… In fact I’m not sure I’ve even seen him blink once in the past few minutes.” She said.

I sighed. “That would be because he has mastered the art of sleeping with his eyes open.” I said reaching over and poking Prowler on his shoulder.

“Huh, what?” He asked groggily rubbing his eyes. “Is it over?”

“I think so, but I wouldn’t put any money on it.” I answered.

“Well that’s good for me too because I don’t have any to begin with.” He said with a smile.

Rarity was glaring at the two of us intently. “Why did I even bother to try?” she finally asked herself, but Prowler took it upon himself to answer anyways.

“I don’t know, seemed like a lost cause from the very start. I really can’t believe you tried. I mean I’m as uncivilized as they can get. The only conversations I even get into are with this guy over here.” He said indicating to me. “You can’t really blame me for not knowing the social taboos.”

“…Wow.” I said with a little surprise. “I didn’t know you knew what the word taboo meant, and you didn’t even use one curse in that answer.”

“Damn right I didn’t, I’m actually trying to stay a little less vulgar. I don’t want to get slapped again.” He said rubbing his cheek.

I started rubbing my own cheek. “I’ll second that.” Rarity groaned and walked back over to the rest of the mares who were setting up a camp site for us to sleep in. I turned to Prowler. “I’m actually impressed with you right now. You haven’t said some of you worst vulgarities and you also haven’t actually tried to seduce any on the mares.”

“Yeah, I tell ya it’s a really bitch to keep myself in check, but I’ll try.” He told me.

“Are you sure you’re okay you seem different?” I asked him.

“Yeah, yeah I’m good it’s just… no, forget it.” He answered looking away.

“Okay now I know something’s bothering you. Tell me what is it?” I said to him.

“It… It’s Leaf.” He told me. Leaf was the first timberwolf that Prowler had ever tamed. It was when he was just a foal. He was always kind of alone and didn’t have many friends. One day he found a timberwolf injured on the edge of the forest. He nurse the wolf back to health in secret away for everypony. The two became real close and eventually after a fight with his father Prowler took Leaf and ran away into the forest. Prowler told me that search parties were sent out not a half-hour after he ran away, but it took over a week for them to catch up and find him. When they did Prowler and his father talked again this time calmer, but Prowler said that he didn’t want to go back to the town. He wanted to stay in the forest with Leaf and the other timberwolves, he said it was where he belonged. Just to prove it he showed his flank to his father sporting a brand new cutie mark. His father of course disagreed and said the forest was dangerous. Prowler gave in and said he would go back to the village, but late in the night he ran off again. Prowler’s relationship with his father didn’t get hurt though. They sent messages using Leaf and the other timberwolves to each other to stay in touch. Prowler’s father never really approved of his sons decision, but he did agree that this probably was where Prowler would be happiest and as a father, making sure his son was happy was his number one goal. After Prowler grew up a little he finally did meet his father face to face again, and Prowler still goes to see him occasionally.

“Leaf, what about him?... And where is he? I haven’t seen him since we got here.” I said to him looking around.

“I… we got in a fight with a large group of manticores. I got away with a few cuts and bruises, but only because Leaf went and blocked most of their attacks for me. He got really beat up, and when we got back to camp he collapsed from exhaustion. He hasn’t moved much since. I’ve been bringing him food and water, but he doesn’t seem to be getting any better. I- I think he’s dying.” Prowler told me. I could see that he was shaking slightly. Leaf was his best friend I couldn’t blame him for being like this.

“Listen Prowler, Fluttershy takes care of animals. I’m sure that she can look at Leaf and help him somehow.” I said trying to reassure him.

“Really you think she could?” He asked.

“Well, I’m sure as hell not going to do nothing.” I told him to which he smiled a bit.

Together the two of us went off and found Fluttershy. She was surprised when Prowler asked her for help, but when he told her what the problem her personality changed and she got very serious and asked to see Leaf. Along the ways Skies found us and tagged along. Not that I would be able to tell her not to come with. Leaf and Skies were good friends, and Skies was the only pony besides Prowler that Leaf would even let ride on him. I might be close to Leaf, but Skies was much closer to him than I ever could be. When we found him both Skies and Fluttershy gasped and I barely held back a gasp of my own. Leaf had multiple deep gashes along his back. One of his legs was cracking so much that it was hardly holding itself together like the simplest touch would shatter it. One of his eyes was barely glowing a dark green, while the other was out completely. I had seen timberwolves that had been broken apart completely and in a few minutes they were back together and perfectly fine, but Leaf hadn’t healed himself at all. I had never seen Leaf in such a wounded and saddened state. Fluttershy quickly ran over to Leaf who glared at her menacingly despite his state of being. However, after a few quite words from Fluttershy he calmed down and allowed her to look him over.

After a short examination Fluttershy stood back up. “Prowler, Skies come with me. I need help finding some herbs and other plants. Shadow stay here with Leaf so he isn’t alone and doesn’t do anything to hurt himself anymore.” She told the three of us. I obeyed her instantly not only because she’s my friend, but the way she talked. It was so different from how she normally spoke. This voice was filled with comfort, concern, fear, seriousness, and even pain. This wasn’t like anything I had ever seen before, so I stayed with Leaf for a few minutes until they returned.

“You’re sure these will help?” Prowler asked laying some of the plants they gathered onto the ground in a small pile.

“Yes, I’m sure.” Fluttershy answered. “I just need to grind them into a paste first so that we can use them.” She added as she put a small bowl from her saddlebags onto the ground and put the plants in it. Using a small stone rod she started to crush the plants in the bowl and they started to meld together into the paste she was looking for. “Alright everypony take some of the paste and use it to cover all of the wounds. Make sure we don’t miss any of them.” She told us and we all nodded taking a part of the paste in our hooves and spreading it on Leaf’s wounds.

When we were done spreading Leaf had a less pained look and even had a small smile. “Well that sure seemed to help.” I said.

Fluttershy nodded. “It’s an old recipe, but effective. It numbs the pain as well and accelerates the healing. We had to go a little out of the way to find some of the flowers so that they added a small magical property to the paste since Leaf is a timberwolf, but they do seem to be working well.” She said smiling and speaking with a bit more cheery voice.

“Thank you very much Miss Fluttershy. I don’t know how I can ever repay you for this.” Prowler said to Fluttershy as he stood next to Leaf.

“Oh, you don’t need to repay me. All I did is what anypony would do. There’s no reason to repay me for that.” Fluttershy told him as she walked off back towards camp.

Prowler was surprised for a moment before he started to smile. “What anypony would do?” I heard him ask himself quietly.

I smiled and Skies and I started making our way back to camp, so Prowler was alone with Leaf.

PreviousChapters Next