• Published 1st Nov 2012
  • 4,167 Views, 1,525 Comments

The Darkness in our Souls - Black Light



Shadowmere knows fear, he knows hate, and he knows darkness. In fact, he knows everypony's.

  • ...
43
 1,525
 4,167

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 15

Chapter 15

The doctors had demanded that I stay in the hospital a few more days to try and find the cause of my fainting. I didn’t want to argue so I decided to stay. Then girls hadn’t come to see me again, not like I really expected them to. Skies had come to visit me many times though. She said that she had been going to the school every day and then went with AJ to sell apples at the market. She told me that Applejack had been acting funny. She seemed troubled but whenever Skies brought it up AJ just avoided the topic completely. I already knew she was troubled. AJ and Rainbow are pretty close friends they knew each other even before the Nightmare Moon incident. I had been keeping tabs on all the girls with my power. Twilight was almost always in the library, she was sad that I had rejected Rainbow but she understood why I did it. Pinkie was the pony who took the news the best. Not that it didn’t affect her, she just didn’t let it get to her as much as the other girls. Rarity was just angry at me, I kind of expected that though. She was always one for that cliché sappy love story, so I understand why she would be angry at me for ruining that story. Fluttershy was in her house using the animals to distract her from how sad she was…. And then there’s Rainbow. She had locked herself in her house as far as I could tell since she hadn’t left it since that day. Every time I sensed for her all I found was a large amount of sadness, and I decided not to delve any deeper into it. It had been like this for days all the way up until now when I was finally leaving the hospital. I walked down the road with Skies going towards our house.

“So… what now?” Skies asked.

I thought for a second before answering. “I think it’s best if we gave the girls some space for a while, so how about we go on a small vacation?”

“Really a vacation? Where to?” Skies asked excited.

“Don’t know. We’ll find out when we get there.” I responded. “Now go pack a small bag we’ll leave soon.”

“Alright, but what about you?”

“I’ve got a few errands to run before we leave. I’ll just take the stuff I have in my saddle bags. I haven’t unpacked it since we came here.”

“Okay, I’ll get it all ready to go.” Skies said.

“Thanks, see you in a little while.” I said ruffling the top on her mane.

I walked in the house and used my magic to levitate a quill and paper to me. I was writing a note to Twilight telling her what Skies and I were doing. I walked out of the house still writing the note. I walked to the town square. I saw Derpy walking through town and I called to her.

“Hey Derpy.”

“Oh, Hey Shadow. What’s up?” She asked turning to face me.

“I actually was hoping to ask a favor of you. Do you think you could give this letter to Twilight?” I asked levitating the letter in front of me.

“Sure I could that’s my job.” She said taking the letter and putting it in her saddle bag.

“Thanks. I have to go now. I have some preparations to make.”

“Alright see you later then.” She said walking off in a random direction.

I started walking though the square until I came to Sugar-cube Corner. I walked inside and was lucky enough to be greeted by the Cakes. I wasn’t really in the mood to talk to any of the girls right now.

“Hello Mrs. Cake”

“Hello Shadowmere what brings you her today?” She asked.

“Well, Skies and I are going on a short vacation. I was hoping I could get some cupcakes to take with us.” I answered.

“Of course you can.” She said taking a bow of cupcakes from under the counter and putting it on top. I took out some bits and paid for the box.

“Thank you very much.” I said.

“You’re welcome. I hope you have fun.” She said.

I walked out the door and looked up at the sun. I had enough time to run about two more errands before I needed to get back. I decided to get a blanket and also get a small ball. Then, I started back towards the house. As I neared it I saw Skies waiting outside with my saddle bags. When she saw me she smiled and ran over to me.

“Well are we ready to go?”

“Yes, we are. You don’t need to be in such a rush you know.”

“But we’ve never actually gone on a vacation before, so I want to get going as fast as possible.”

“Alright, alright.” I said putting my bags on my back. “Well you ready to go?” I asked spreading my wings.

“Eeyup.”

“You’ve been spending a lot of time over at Sweet Apple Acres haven’t you?” I said before taking off and starting to fly around in a circle and stopping and pointing in a direction. “We go that way.”

“Then let’s go.” Skies said flying in the direction I was pointing in.

“Yes, let’s.” I said taking off after her.

We had been flying for a good hour now. Still heading in the same direction we had started in. We were used to this type of flying with the travel we normally did so we were ready to go on even further if necessary. Luckily we didn’t have to, We looked down towards the ground and saw a clearing in the woods near a small lake. We looked at each other and nodded before starting our descent. We landed next to the lake and leaned down to get a drink. We then sat back onto the grass to look up at the stars that were just starting to appear. I opened my bag and took out one cupcake for each of us. Skies gladly grabbed it and ate it at a speed that would’ve made Pinkie proud. I on the other hand decided to take my time. I sat on the grass and nibbled slowly looking up at Luna’s sky. I had always felt a connection with the night sky. The seemingly unending darkness. I smiled as I saw a star shoot through the sky. I looked over at Skies who was trying to fight off sleep. I scooted over to her and sat down behind her head. I felt her head slip onto my back as she started losing the battle to sleep. In a few minutes she was snoring softly and smiling. I heard her mumble a few words about cupcakes and cotton candy. She was obviously having a good dream. I put my head onto the grass and closed my eyes as I gave in to sleep and I braced myself for the nightmares.

I opened my eyes when I felt the ground leave my feet. I looked around and found myself in the middle of a seemingly endless black room. I looked around and saw a pony huddling in the corner shaking. Scared of the dark and being alone, pretty common. The room suddenly vanished and I found myself falling through the clouds beside an earth pony who was screaming his head off. Scared of heights, still pretty common. Once again my vision changed and I found myself in the Canterlot ballroom surrounded by many high class ponies. I began to walk through the crowd until I saw a bouncing pink mane going through the crowd. I walked over to it and found a pony backed into a corner by a very happy Pinkie. Then there were two talking their heads off and the pony in the corner was covering her ears trying to make the noise go away. Okay… a pony that is scared of Pinkie… that is slightly unusual… but understandable. My vision one again changed, looks like this is going to be a long night.

I awoke to the sound of birds chirping. I was once again in the clearing with Skies who was just now waking up. She looked at me and smiled. I looked up and saw her bed head and let out a small chuckle. She looked at me confused, so I pointed to the lake. She got up and walked over to the lake and looked into it. I saw her hold back a laugh as she saw the state her mane was in. She looked back at me with a grin on her face. It made me happy to see her like this, to see her care-free. Then suddenly there was a puff of green smoke in-front of my eyes. The smoke then swirled together, and with a popping sound transformed into a scroll. I guess Twilight sent me a letter. I grabbed it with my magic and unraveled it. As I started to read I wore a care-free look on my face, but when I finished I had the emotion of determination and anger.

This change was because of the letter. It was a simple letter all it said was ‘We need you back now!’ that wasn’t what bothered me though. The real problem was that the letter was covered in tear drops, and had small drops of blood on the paper.

Skies who had been watching me read the letter finally said. “Vacations over, isn’t it?”

I nodded to her before grabbing my saddle bag and spreading my wings readying myself for a fight.

PreviousChapters Next