• Published 1st Nov 2012
  • 4,166 Views, 1,525 Comments

The Darkness in our Souls - Black Light



Shadowmere knows fear, he knows hate, and he knows darkness. In fact, he knows everypony's.

  • ...
43
 1,525
 4,166

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 20

Chapter 20

Rainbow and I were standing at the punch bowl getting ourselves something to drink. We had been standing there for a few minutes when I heard a loud gasp behind me. I quickly turned around and saw a white mare in a dress and a punch cup that was tipping over about to drench her dress. I quickly activated my magic, catching a liquid was a difficult task it’s not as simple as a solid object because of the properties of a liquid. Luckily, I was familiar with this way of magic. I used the magical aura to move the punch fluidly. I caught the glass and poured the punch back into it. I levitated the glass back down to me and moved it over to the mare.

“That was a close one.” I said as the mare took the glass.

The mare gave a small nod.

“I say I must thank you.” I turned around and saw a pony who I had seen in a few news articles before. It was Fancy Pants a very important pony in the noble world.

“There is no thanks necessary. I just did what any decent pony would do.” I said extending a hoof.

He took it in his hoof and shook it. “Of course, I am Fancy Pants by the way” he said walking over to the mare. “And this is my fiancé Fleur de Lis.”

“A pleasure” I said. “I am Shadowmere and my companion’s name is Rainbow Dash.”

“Ah, yes I am familiar with her. If I remember correctly you are good friends with miss Rarity.” Fancy Pants said.

“That’s right. Rarity’s one of my best friends.” Rainbow said.

“Ah yes, and how is miss Rarity these days?” Fancy Pants asked.

Then one of the royal guard came and interrupted us. “Excuse me sir. Are you Shadowmere?” He asked.

“Yes that is me.” I responded hoping I’m not in trouble again.

“The princess has requested your presence. If you would follow me.” He said as he started walking.

I turned and looked at the ponies I had been talking to. “I guess I have to go we will have to talk later.” I said before following the guard.

He took me passed the door from the ballroom into the throne room and I saw Celestia sitting on her throne greeting ponies. “Excuse me. You said we were going to see the princess, right?” I asked.

“Yes sir.”

“Then why did we walk by the throne room?”

“Because that is not the princess that you are going to meet.” He said.

“So Luna?” I asked

“Correct.”

“Alright then.” I said as we walked down the hallway.

We walked down many hallways and up many stair cases until we reached a hallway that ended in two large double doors. Which I gathered was our destination. The guard walked up to the door and opened it. He then stepped back and gestured me in. I walked into the room and the doors shut behind me.

I turned and looked towards the center of the room where I saw Princess Luna sitting. She looked up at me and gestured for me to come closer. I walked up to the area in front of her and stopped. She then started to speak.

“WELCOME SUBJECT. WE ARE GLAD YOU ACCEPTED OUR INVITATION!!” The princess shouted. I covered my ears from the pounding of the sound against my skull. The princess seeing my discomfort. “Oh, we are sorry. We have been trying to break our habit.”

“Its fine, trust me I’ve heard worse.” I said rubbing my head. “But may I ask why you called me out here.”

“Yes you see my sister and I have been thinking, and we have a opportunity that we would like to offer to you.” The Princess of the night said.

“Alright so may I ask what it is?” I asked.

“We believe that you posses some qualities that would make you a good negotiator and ambassador for the land of Equestria.” The princess said. “This is a very important job and the compensation and benefits of the job are quite impressive.” The princess said.

“No deal.” I said.

“We are glad that you… wait did you say no?” the princess asked.

“Well technically I said no deal, but they mean the same thing.” I responded smiling.

“But this is one of the most important and respected jobs in all Equestria.” The princess said stunned.

“And that’s the deal breaker.” I said. “I’m perfectly fine with my position on the weather team. I don’t want some high position where I have to travel around: I’ve done enough of that for a life time.”

“I understand…I guess” the princess said.

“Trust me; it’s probably for the best. I’m a time bomb waiting to happen. If I did take the job and I lost control it would probably result in all out war. Most underestimate the full extent that fear affects the way ponies act but I don’t.” I said.

“Yes we are familiar with how fear changes a pony.” The princess said with sadness in her voice.

“You’re thinking about the assassins around one thousand years ago aren’t you?” I asked. The princess was a little surprised at my knowledge of the incident but nodded. “Do you want to talk about it?”

“We do not wish to bore you with this tale.” The princess said.

I looked around and saw a small pillow near the side of the wall. I levitated it over to me, placed it on the floor and sat down. “I don’t care. You need to tell somepony about it or you will never get over it.” I said.

The princess had a small smile. “Alright, it was a little over a thousand years ago when we first started to feel resentment of mine sister’s day-” The princess then told me the entire story of the first time she became Nightmare Moon. She didn’t leave out any details either, she told me about her assassins, about her plans, and about all the hate she felt back then. And I listened to it all, even when she talked about the time she spent on the moon, I listened. It was a sad and depressing tale one of the most depressing things I had ever heard, and coming from me that means a lot.

“-And that is when I was released and the elements had to free me from my hate.” The princess finished her story.

“Wow… just… wow.” Was all I could say. “I’m sorry to hear that.”

“It is fine. It actually feels good to talk about it to somepony.” The princess said.

Just then the doors in the back of the room opened again. I turned my head around and saw Princess Celestia and the girls standing in the doorway. I looked at the clock in the room and saw that I had missed around half of the Gala. Princess Celestia walked up to Princess Luna and stood next to her.

“You two have been in here for quite a long time. I hope that means that you have been thinking about our offer.” Princess Celestia said.

“Actually, we finished that conversation in about a minute. My answer's no by the way.” I said.

“I see, but if you finished that conversation that quickly. What have you two been talking about the rest of the time?” Celestia asked.

I saw Luna look at me telling me not to tell Celestia what we were doing. “I was simply discussing the night sky with Princess Luna. I am quite the avid star gazer, so I thought it would be a nice conversation piece.” I said.

“Well I am glad to hear that. It seems that you have made a friend Lulu.” Celestia said.

“Yes, it seems that I have.” The princess of the night said with a smile.

“We should return to the Gala before the rest of the ponies start to wonder where we are.” Celestia said.

“Yes let’s” Luna responded as we all walked out of the room and towards the ballroom.

As we were walking I saw AJ talking to the rest of the girls. When she saw me looking she gave me a quizzical look. I guess as the element of honesty she didn’t quite buy my lie to Celestia. I started to slow up so that I was walking next to them. AJ turned to me to ask me a question. But before she did I held up my hoof, shook my head, and said “Later”. She nodded and continued walking. We reached the ballroom again and the princesses walked up to the stage and prepared to make a toast. All the guests turned their attention towards the stage and the princesses started.

“Attention loyal subjects. We would like to thank you all for coming to this year’s Gala.” Skies flew up and landed on my back to get a better view. “Before we begin we would like to welcome some very special guests to this year’s Gala. Some very important diplomats from the Griffin kingdom” A spotlight shot out from somewhere and illuminated a small group of Griffins in some noble attire. I felt my muscles tense up as I saw them though. Skies let out a small gasp and I knew that she knew what I knew as well. Those were not Griffin diplomats.

PreviousChapters Next