• Published 1st Nov 2012
  • 4,167 Views, 1,525 Comments

The Darkness in our Souls - Black Light



Shadowmere knows fear, he knows hate, and he knows darkness. In fact, he knows everypony's.

  • ...
43
 1,525
 4,167

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 95

Chapter 95

Skies and I were flying above a large forest. It was the fourth day of our trip the first three being relatively uneventful with the exception of the second day where we had a run in with a Manticore that ended with us swiftly running away.

"Do you even remember where she lives?" Skies asked.

"Yes, of course I do. I'm still good at finding my way in the wilderness." I told her. My eyes caught a small hole in the forest's leaves. I changed direction to get a better look, and saw that there was a small piece of a roof showing through. "Told you." I said to Skies as she flew next to me. We began our descent towards the forest and landed a little ways in front of the house. I walked up to the front door and knocked. There was no response. I knocked again speaking this time as well. "Hey Yearling, you there?" I asked. No response again. I sighed and activated my ability. I could tell that there was indeed a pony in the house. I stopped and knocked on the door again. "Listen, I know somepony is in there. Yearling if it's you we would very much like to talk to you. If it's not Yearling then you are trespassing and I will come in there and throw you out myself!" I called into the house. Again no response. I sighed. I'm going to regret this. "Skies?" I said turning to my sister. She was already walking next to me with a manepin ready to go. After a moment the door clicked and I walked up and pushed open the door. As the door opened I saw a very large chair hurtling towards my face. I, being the genius that I am, chose to stare at the chair in surprise instead of moving out of its way. The next thing I saw were leaves as I found myself laying on the ground, my face stinging with pain.

"I don't know who you think you are, but you're not...Oh...Shadow." I heard coming from the doorway.

I looked up and saw a mare standing in the doorway. "Perhaps just saying hello would work next time Yearling." I said as I stood up rubbing my face, as I tried to ease the pain.

"Well excuse me for taking precautions, you know the position I'm in." She said to me.

"And considering your position, who would be out here referring to you as Yearling?" I asked her. "Certainly not somepony who needs a chair to the face." I told her.

"I don't know, there are plenty of things that have earned you a chair to the face." She said to me. "Like that incident in the sunken temple."

"How was I supposed to know that specific brick would start flooding the temple?" I asked.

"I was more referring to the fact that you forgot you could fly and forced me to dive into the water to save you." She countered.

"...Okay, that one was my fault." I responded.

"Well since that's done." Yearling started before turning towards Skies. "Hello Skies it's good to see you again."

"It's good to see you too." Skies said with smile.

"Oh sure she gets a hello, and I get a chair." I said.

"Suck it up, it was just a chair." Yearling said to me. "So...why are you here?" She asked.

"We were bored, hoped to go on an adventure." I answered.

Yearling stood thinking for a moment. "Well... There is something that you might want to see." She said as she turned and walked into her home gesturing for us to follow. "I have a picture of it somewhere around here." She said looking through a pile of books on her desk. "So what have you been up to recently?" She asked still searching.

"Well, I've finally found a town to settle down in. Haven't been run out of it, and I don't think I'm going to be anytime soon either. Made some good friends too." I told her.

"That's good to hear." She said pausing for a moment. "...How do you think they'll react when they find out about you?" She asked.

"That's the best part. They already know." I told her, she looked over at me surprised for a moment.

"That so?" She said with a chuckle. "Serious last time you came here you had just been run out of three towns in under a week. You certainly have been busy. Next thing you're gonna tell me is that you got yourself a marefriend." Skies laughed slightly. "What's so funny?" Yearling asked.

"Well about that." I said rubbing the back of my head. "I kind of did get a marefriend." I told her.

This time she completely stopped everything and stared at me. "...And she does know right?"

"Yes she knows, is it that hard to believe that I can have friends that know about my secret?" I asked her.

Yearling chuckled. "No I suppose not. I mean there's me." She said.

"Didn't think you considered me a friend." I said to her.

"And why not?" She asked me.

"Maybe because you tend to cause me physical harm whenever you see me." I answered.

Yearling just chuckled. "There's also that Prowler guy. You talked to him recently. I could certainly use some help from a timberwolf." She said with a chuckle. Both Skies and I were silent and looked towards the ground. Yearling noticed the silence and looked back at us. "What's wrong?" She asked with some worry.

"Prowler...He's not really with us anymore." I told her.

Yearling's eyes widened as she realized what I was saying. "Oh...I-I'm sorry I brought it up." She said turning away and searching through the pile again.

"It's alright, you didn't know." I told her taking a few breaths and calming myself. I hadn't thought about Prowler in awhile. Luckily Yearling finally found what she was looking for.

"Here it is." She said taking a picture from inside a book. She walked over to me and gave me the photo. I looked at it. The picture was old obviously from some ancient temple. It had a crude looking depiction of a pony on it. Surrounding the pony was a black sphere that looked like it had eyes formed at the top. Around the pony were others cowering in fear.

"...You think this has something to do with the darkness?" I asked.

"I think it's a possibility." She said. I found this painted on the outside of a ruin older than almost any others I've seen before. I couldn't find a way to get inside though." She told me.

I sighed. "And here I hoped this would be semi-relaxing, but instead it might have something to do with him.

'Oh come now, you know you can't live without me.

'Of course, that's literal and not emotional.'

'Same difference.'

"Can you take me to the ruin?" I asked.

Yearling pulled out a map from the desk. "I made sure to mark it down." She answered me.

"Skies?" I asked.

"I'm ready." She told me.

"Let's head out immediately." I said to Yearling.

"You don't need to borrow any supplies?" She asked.

"Nope." I said showing her the bags both Skies and I wore. "We've got everything we need in here."

"Then I'll get my things." She said going up the stairs. She came down not long after with her whip and wearing her trademark hat. "Ready to go?" She asked.

"Ready when you are Yearling." I answered.

"Hey, what have I told you about when the hat goes on?" She responded.

"Sorry, sorry. Forgot." I said rolling my eyes. "Ready when you are...Daring." I said with a small smile.

Daring smirked and turned towards the door. "Let's get going then."

PreviousChapters Next