• Published 1st Nov 2012
  • 4,166 Views, 1,525 Comments

The Darkness in our Souls - Black Light



Shadowmere knows fear, he knows hate, and he knows darkness. In fact, he knows everypony's.

  • ...
43
 1,525
 4,166

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 61

Chapter 61

I stood in the main hall of the throne room, Discord and Flare standing next to me.

“-And I am extremely disappointed in your behavior. Do you understand me?” Celestia lectured us.

“If I remember correctly, you joined in the festivities as well” Discord said to her with a smile.

“…A minor lapse in judgment.” Celestia told him.

“Don’t worry, we understand princess, and we are truly sorry. It won’t happen again.” I told her.

Celestia gave a small sigh. “Very well, I will overlook it this time.” She said looking at us. “But only because it was enjoyable for most of the guests.” She added on with a small smile.

I returned the smile and gave a small bow as Discord, Flare, and I left the throne room and moved into the main hall.

“Are you really sorry for what we did?” Discord asked me.

“Ha, no way. That was the most fun I’ve had in years. Why would I be sorry for that?” I told him.

“Is that so?” I heard a voice behind me.

I turned around and saw Celestia looking at me. “…I stand by what I said.” I told her.

Discord chuckled. “I knew you had a chaotic side to you.”

“As if my life wasn’t chaotic enough already before meeting the girls.” I told him.

Discord smiled. “So how did my little present to you go over? I never got to ask before.” He asked me.

“Much better than expected actually. It turns out instead of giving ponies their worst nightmare. I’m actually instead giving them their happiest dream.” I told him.

Celestia raised her eye at this. “Is that so?” She asked.

“That’s true, I can vouch for him.” I heard from down the hall.

“Hey Rainbow, Girls. Good to see you.” I said waving as I saw them approaching us.

“You can vouch for this?” Celestia asked. “How?”

“Well, that darkness took control of Shadow and then when I looked into his eyes, well we’re pretty sure we saw my happiest dream.”

“Only pretty sure?” Celestia asked.

“Well truthfully, we’re not sure if it was hers or mine.” I told Celestia. “What we saw could’ve applied to both of us.” I told her as we walked down the main hall and into the garden, where many of the servants were still working to clean up after the rabble we caused.

“I see, so it would appear that what Discord did, was for the best.” She said.

“Oh Tia dear, are you saying the things I’ve done before weren’t?” Discord said acting insulted.

“That is exactly what I’m saying.” She told him. Discord just laughed slightly.

“Still, I wish that there was some way to tell if it’s me who’s seeing the happiest dream, or if I’m the one showing.” I said my head suddenly exploded in pain and I fell to the ground. I lost feeling in half of my body.

“Soon enough it won’t matter.” I heard myself say.

“What- What are you doing?!” I shouted at the darkness.

“Getting rid of this intrusive magic.” He answered. I felt my magic activate and my horn suddenly sent out a grey beam of magic towards the sky. As the beam left my horn it felt like part of my heart was being torn out of my body. I screamed in pain as the beam shot towards the sky. Looking up I saw the beam strike a white cloud hanging in the sky. The cloud didn’t stay white for long though. It began to change and shift, turning into a bright pink cloud. I could see Discord next to my starting to go wide eyed and slack jawed. Most of the girls were panicking and running around trying to understand what was happening. Pinkie however just gasped loudly and started bounding around happily, spouting something about ‘them’ being back.

The beam however began to turn a dark black and when it struck the cloud it disappeared in a puff of smoke. All at once the emotions started to flood in, but only the dark ones once again. “Ah yes, finally. I’ve waited long enough to be able to taste these once again.” The darkness said happily.

“What- What have you done!?” I shouted clutching my head from the pain of the rushing emotions.

“I would tell you, but I have lost time to make up for, so let’s just get right to the-”

“Yo Mere.” I turned my head just in time to see a clawed hand just inches from my face. Then, there was only blackness.

~~~One Blackout Later~~~

My senses slowly started to come back to me. Starting with feeling, I felt that I was on a bed, it wasn’t a comfy bed, more for practical uses only…Definitely a hospital bed.

My next sense that came back to me was the sense of hearing and I slowly began to be able to make out a conversation somewhere in the room.

“-Well you didn’t have to hit him!” A voice said angrily, I couldn’t tell who had spoken because I was still groggy.

“I didn’t see anypony else coming up with a plan, by the way a thank you would be nice.” I could feel the cockiness coming from that voice, so it was most likely Discord who had spoken.

“A thank you for knocking my coltfriend unconscious?!” A voice countered. I wonder who got knocked out…. Oh, probably me. That means that was most likely Dash speaking.

From behind my eyelids I stated to be able to perceive a light, so I assumed that my eyesight had returned. I opened my eyes slowly, but closed them quickly as they were flooded with light confirming my theory. I opened my eyes again and became acclimated to the light allowing me to see where I was finally.

“And saving everypony from having to go through your worst nightmare. Now I think that none of you have had any experience quite like that.” Discord said.

“Actually Twilight has, she’s experienced my power head on before, just so you know.” I said my voice sounding dry.

“SHADOW!” I was suddenly pinned to the bed by a certain rainbow maned mare.

“RAINBOW! NEED! AIR!” I said quickly before I asphyxiated.

“OH!” She shouted suddenly jumping back. “Sorry.” She said embarrassed and rubbing the back of her head.

“All is forgiven.” I told her after a few short breaths. “But now the last thing I remember is…STOP USING THAT NAME!” I shouted at Discord.

“Yeah, he’s back to normal.” Discord said chuckling.

“So…what happened?” I asked him.

Discord’s face grew serious, and that actually scared me quite a bit. “The darkness is smarter than I gave him credit for, he expelled the chaos magic I imbued in you.” He said.

“Meaning?” I questioned hoping for further explanation.

“Meaning your magic is no longer discorded.” He told me.

“…So I’m back to the way I was before? Nightmares only?” I asked.

“Yes, yes you are.” He answered.

“Isn’t there something you can do?” I asked him. “Rediscord me or something?”

Discord just shook his head. “No I can’t, your darkness won’t allow it. Now that he knows what it does and what it is he’ll be able to fight it off.”

I sighed and looked out the window. “I- I think I’d like a little time to myself now.” I told them all.

“Shadow.” Rainbow started.

“Please, just a little time.” I asked her again.

With a sigh and a small nod, she gave me a quick kiss and left the room with the others.

I let my mental guard drop and soon enough my right side blacked out again.

“I really hate you, you know that right?” I asked.

“It is how we are meant to live, fighting one another. That is how it will always be, at least until you die. Then I’ll find a new host to fight with.” The darkness told me.

“Doesn’t it ever get boring?” I asked him. “I mean, you must’ve been here for years. Doesn’t spreading fear just get repetitive after a while?” I questioned.

“Not at all, ponies fears are constantly changing, keeping things interesting.” He answered me. “You can’t say you already didn’t know this.”

“I suppose your right. No pony’s fears remain the same forever. Some change constantly.” I said.

“Like how all your friends are afraid that we’re going to find out their eavesdropping on us.” The darkness said. I heard a few gasps from the hallway followed by nonchalant whistling and hoofsteps away from the door.

I sighed. “Any chance I can convince you to stop?” I asked him.

“You should already know the answer to that question.” The darkness told me.

“Yeah, I guessed that was a little too much to ask for.” I said with a sigh. “…What about a deal, you don’t go after anyponies’s fears, but you have free access to Prince Blueblood?” I asked him.

“Tempting, but I doubt it would be as fun only seeing one ponies fears.” The darkness answered.

“Fine, I suppose everything is going to go back to normal now.” I said.

“That appears to be the case.”

“Well in that case, I’m just going to get some sleep.” I said laying my head down on the pillow.

“…I hate hospital beds.”

“For once we agree.”

Author's Note:

Happy Hearts Warming everypony. Celestia bless us, every one.
~Black Light

PreviousChapters Next