• Published 22nd Oct 2012
  • 27,118 Views, 1,417 Comments

Shut The Blinds - The Rainbow Blunderbolt

  • ...
101
 1,417
 27,118

A New Perspective

Chapter ten: A New Perspective

For the last hour or so, Rainbow Dash had busied herself with getting used to her own body again. A week in a coma wasn’t good for any pony’s figure, and she certainly wasn’t an exception. Even if she was blind, she still needed to keep herself in shape, and feeling sorry for herself all of the time that she was going to remain in the hospital just wasn’t going to do it.

Since she was sure she probably wouldn’t be allowed to get out of her bed, she did simple things like touching the tips of her back hooves with her front ones, basically anything that involved movement without leaving her bed. While doing this, she found that nothing else of hers was injured or damaged in anyway. That was most definitely a good thing, since she wanted to get out of this stupid hospital as soon as physically possible.

The only other thing that would have made it better was if the bandages over her eyes would come off. She had thought about taking them off herself, but quickly decided against it. The bandages were probably there for a reason, after all. And it was probably a very good reason too.

Still, it felt good to move again, even if it was very limited. She hated not being active, and sitting in that bed doing nothing gave her a solid reminder as to why she hated it so much. As an athlete, she couldn’t stand not doing anything for long periods of time. She had to be moving in some form or another, and even though she could not see didn’t mean that she could not move, and move she would. And, the moving around gave her something else to do as well. It gave her the excuse not to think.

While she was just lying there, she began to think. She thought about various things, but when she was thinking, her thoughts usually drifted towards feeling sorry for herself or something along those lines.
She hated that feeling. No matter who it was, she couldn’t stand some pony feeling sorry for her. It made her feel awkward, weak, and like she owed some pony or something stupid like that. And she didn’t want to think about that. Instead, she thought about other things. She thought about just how lucky she was to be alive right now. She thought about her friends. She thought about how lucky she was to have friends like them. Not many ponies could say that they had friends that would stick with you through thick and thin, but she was one of the few that could say that, and she was grateful for it.

She chuckled softly. It was funny how humble she was starting to become.

Usually her thoughts were about her dreams or about flying, but since she didn’t quite have those anymore, she now had to think about other things. And she didn’t particularly like what her options were.

Dying to get her mind off sentimental junk, she decided that it was time for her to get out of bed. Screw the doctors! Even if it was just for a few seconds, she needed to stand on her own four legs. And she was going to do it.

Cautiously, she removed the thin covers from the lower half of her body and sighed as the cool air hit her legs and abdomen. She was careful to keep one front hoof on the bed so that, if need be, she could jump back onto it. Hoisting her back legs upwards and to the right, she now found herself in a sitting position. Her back hooves were hanging just above the floor beneath her, and they were ready to stand again.

Not wanting to waste any more of her precious alone time, she quickly let her body slide to the floor and landed unsteadily on three of her hooves. Her hooves wobbled under her miniscule weight and threatened to buckle underneath her a few times, but she kept herself steady. She was not going to fall from standing. That would be totally uncool. Though, she could understand why her legs were so weak. Frankly, it annoyed her, but she just had to deal with it whether she liked it or not. Once she had stood there for a few more moments, she felt her hooves get used to her body weight again. She bounced on them a few times, just to make sure that they weren’t going to betray her and make her fall to the ground. Luckily, they were steady.

Well, she could stand, that was good. Now for walking. Cautiously, she removed her front hoof from the hospital bed and put it on the floor. Since she couldn’t see, she didn’t exactly know where the bed was, and that was somewhat of a problem. Shrugging her shoulders, she decided she would take a wild guess when it came back to getting into bed. All she wanted to do right now was walk. Maybe run. Maybe…

She was getting ahead of herself.

“Okay…” she thought to herself, taking a few steps forward. The cold linoleum felt weird to the bottom of her hooves, not to mention it was rather slippery, so it was hard to get a sense of where she was at first. But, she was soon able to navigate herself around the little room she was in without bumping into anything.

“So far so…OUCH! Okay, who the hay put that wall there?” Grumbling, she brought her hoof up to rub her nose, trying to dull the ache the large wall had given her.

Scratch that idea.

As she kept walking around cautiously, she realized just how weird it was to walk without seeing where you were going. She had never really thought about walking before, she simply did it. But now she was finding out that she had to think about where she put her hoof whenever she took a step forward. She was also finding out that she was having trouble balancing. Rainbow Dash honestly didn’t have a clue why that was happening, she only hoped that her balance would return to her soon.

Fortunately for her, her balance did come back, but it took a bit more walking around for it to do so. By this point, she had explored her surroundings, and now she was at what she guessed was another hospital bed. Similar to the room that she had been in the last time she had to stay at the hospital, there were two beds with a large white curtain separating them. But, this time there was no pony in the other bed. For a moment, she was almost disheartened by this, but she quickly realized that no distractions from a would-be roommate would lead to more naptime for her.

She was about to go back to her own bed, when she heard something from behind her. It sounded almost like...

“Ms. Dash?”

Well, her wings worked.

As soon as she heard Nurse Redheart’s voice, she jumped about five feet in the air and stayed there, using her wings to hover slightly above the ground. The earth pony had…startled her. Yeah, that was it.

But, amidst the stunned surprise, it was nice to flap her wings after so long. The appendages had become dormant, and it was time to wake them up once again. And on the bright side, she had found out that she could hover without any help.

“Did I scare you?” came Nurse Redheart’s apologetic voice from behind her. “I’m sorry if I did. I was just checking up on you.”

Rainbow Dash turned around in midair to face the direction where nurse Redheart was. “You didn’t scare me. You just…surprised me,” she said coolly, crossing her forelegs over her chest in a huff.

The nurse smirked and Rainbow Dash heard footsteps coming closer to her. The sounds were hard to pick up to the average pony, since Nurse Redheart was rather light on her hooves, but to the pegasus they were as clear as day. She chalked it up to those rumors about losing one sense and another becoming more enhanced being true, and that theory just happened to work for her. It seemed logical enough, and it explained why she was able to pick up small noises coming from down the hall in the middle of the night. Funny, they almost sounded like…

“What are you doing out of bed?” the nurse asked, her voice taking on a rather concerned tone. “I didn’t think you were quite ready for that yet.”

“Oh, I was PLENTY ready, believe me. And I was just stretching my legs. Gotta keep up my strength, you know?” Rainbow told her, floating carefully back down to the ground. However, she didn’t completely perfect her landing and was almost sent sprawling onto the hard, linoleum floor. Luckily for her, Nurse Redheart caught her just before that happened.

“Careful…” Nurse Redheart said quietly, carefully easing herself next to Rainbow’s side to support her.

Rainbow Dash carefully folded a wing across the earth pony’s back. “Thanks…I was just heading back to bed anyways.”

“I’m sure,” the nurse replied as she helped lead the pegasus back to the bed on the other side of the room. As soon as Rainbow Dash was sure she was close enough, she hopped back onto the bed, unconsciously opening her wings as she did so. She quickly got comfortable and pulled the covers back on top of her lower body.

“Hey, nurse?” she started as she got settled in.

“Yes, Ms. Dash?” Nurse Redheart replied.

“When can these bandages come off?” she asked curiously. “They’re itchy.”

A small chuckle came from Nurse Redheart’s throat. It was quiet, but still detectable to her sensitive ears. Rainbow Dash frowned and crossed her front legs over her chest.

“Well they are…” she mumbled bitterly.

“I believe you, Ms. Dash,” Nurse Redheart assured kindly. “I’ll check with the doctor to see if I can take them off; I’ll be back in just a second.” With that, the door clicked shut and Rainbow Dash was, once again, the only pony present in the room.

She smiled inwardly to herself. Hopefully, those bandages would be able to come off, and, even better, it would allow her to blink again. From very early on she had noticed that her eyes had been closed while under the bandages. And, since the linen was wrapped tightly around, she hadn’t been able to open them. But, she was rather looking forward to opening them, in a weird way. Most ponies would find her anticipation a little bit foolish, but she didn’t really care. Sadly it wouldn’t make much of a difference for her vision. She wasn’t blind to that. And she didn’t want to believe in false hope. The only thing that would do was build her up, and then put her back down again, sending her crashing to the ground in a hard, metaphorical way. If anything, that was the last thing she wanted. Still, it would be a huge relief to be able to blink again, or to move her eyes at all.

Like the nurse had promised, she returned only a few minutes later. Rainbow Dash hoped that she was bringing good news with her. It seemed like it, judging from the way the nurse pranced into the room.

“Well, Ms. Dash, I talked it over with the doctor and he said that if I thought the affected area is healed enough, then we can take the bandages off,” she told her cheerfully.

“Finally,” she breathed out impatiently. She knew that they weren’t off yet, or if they could even come off at all, but she felt a large sense of relief. At least she had tried. The pegasus could barely sit still as the nurse came over to her and began to poke and prod at her face, right where her unseeing eyes were.

“Have you been feeling any pain in this area lately?” Nurse Redheart asked.

Rainbow Dash snorted. “No. It’s just been itchy…that’s a good thing, right?” she asked cautiously.

“Yes, that’s a very good thing,” Nurse Redheart assured, poking at another area on her right side. She winced as she felt the sharp sting of the nurse’s hoof connect with her wrapped eye. “It means that it’s healing properly.”

“Great. The sooner I can get these stupid things off, the better,” Rainbow said, gritting her teeth. She wasn’t quite enjoying this. For an mere inspection of her face, it felt much more like a raid into her personal space. Rainbow Dash never liked ponies touching parts of her body, and this was threatening to push her over the edge. She was tempted to shout out that she needed her space, but she decided against it, and just barely managed to contain herself as the nurse finished her examination.

After what seemed like forever, Nurse Redheart finally quit touching her. She sighed in instantaneous relief and felt butterflies flutter in her stomach as she awaited the results.

“So? Can they come off?” she asked eagerly, hardly daring to breathe.

“I’m happy to say that they can,” Nurse Redheart smiled.

She pumped a hoof into the air. Thank Celestia!

“Yes!” Rainbow Dash whispered happily to herself.

The nurse chuckled and the pegasus felt a hoof grab gently onto the back of her head. She was confused for a moment, but then she realized that the only thing the nurse was doing at the moment was doing her a huge favor. So, there she sat, patiently awaiting the moment when her eyes would be free of their accursed bindings. Finally, that moment came.

The first thing she did after she felt herself released from the bandages was blink.

Oh, sweet, merciful Celestia did it feel good to blink.

Both of her hooves shot up like bullets to her eye sockets and she inspected them thoroughly. The skin around them felt a bit squishy, maybe even a little bit raw and the fur around those bits were matted and dirty, but it was certainly a wonderful feeling to have fresh air circling around the deprived body parts again.

“Yes, the skin is healing nicely and there doesn’t seem to be any permanent scaring,” Nurse Redheart told her. Permanent scarring? What was she talking about? Oh yeah, the dragon attack. How could she have forgotten?

“Blink for me again please?” Nurse Redheart asked, pulling her thoughts back to the current situation.

She did so without question.

“Good,” the nurse said. “Everything looks perfectly normal. You’re healing fairly quickly.”

“Of course I am,” Rainbow smiled smugly, waving her hoof in the air dismissively.

“Oh, and before I forget, I was able to get in contact with Ms. Twilight, and the arrangements are all settled for you to stay with her,” Nurse Redheart told her. “She’ll be picking you up tomorrow morning.”

Rainbow Dash felt herself let out a breath that she didn’t know she was holding in. It felt good to have some security for the near future. She was getting out of this hospital tomorrow and she now had a place to stay. Even better, that place was with Twilight Sparkle. Her mind wandered off to different situations. What would it be like living with an egghead like Twilight? She was totally awesome to have around as a friend, but what would it be like being around the unicorn for twenty-four hours a day and seven days a week as some form of a roommate? It couldn’t be that bad. And Spike was going to be there with her as well. Besides, she liked hanging out with Twilight. Just the thought of the unicorn sent a small flutter up to her stomach. Suddenly, and without her consent, snapshots of the lavender unicorn flew through her mind. She felt her heart start fluttering out of control. There was something about Twilight that she just couldn’t put her hoof on, but she was certain that she liked it. She liked it much more than she probably should, but she didn’t exactly care.

“Ms. Dash? Hello?” Nurse Redheart’s voice snapped her out of her thoughts for the second time today. She shook her head and cursed her imagination. Stupid brain.

Stupid sexy Twilight…

Did she really just think of that?

Oh yes. She did.

“Are you sure you’re feeling alright? You’re looking a bit flushed,” Nurse Redheart told her. She didn’t need to see to know that the nurse was probably giving her strangest look at that moment, But, she couldn’t really blame her.

“Oh yeah, yeah, yeah…I’m fine. It’s just hot in here,” she lied, quickly taking control of the small blush on her sky blue cheeks.

Nurse Redheart was quiet for a few moments. What could the nurse possibly be thinking of now?

“Here, I’ll open a window,” she said. A few hoofsteps later, as well a small click, a cool breeze swept quickly into the room. Rainbow Dash breathed the cool air in greedily and sat back, feeling relaxed.

“Is that better?” Nurse Redheart asked, her voice coming from beside her.

“A lot better. Thanks a lot,” Rainbow Dash said, her head tilting in the direction of the nurse’s voice slowly.

“It’s quite alright,” the nurse assured. “I’ll leave you alone now, but I’ll be sure to tell you if anything comes up.” After the sentence was spoken, Nurse Redheart left the room.

Rainbow Dash smirked. She wasn’t quite sure she liked the sound of “if anything comes up” anymore. That phrase always seemed to bring something bad with it. At this point in time however, she was all too used to bad news and worst case scenarios, and she was prepared for more. A small part of her heart was yearning for some last minute good news, but she pushed it aside quickly. She had been too used to bad news in her life to be that naïve. But, hey, it wasn’t like the world was ending, right?

She let out a small chuckle at her own stupidity and arched her back in a small stretch. At least with the bandages off she looked normal, and there was really no way to tell that she was blind. Then again, she couldn’t say that with absolute certainty, and for all she knew, her disability could be stunningly obvious to the outside world. Hopefully that wasn’t true.

With nothing else to do, she let her mind drift back to Twilight, this time with her approval. Thoughts consisting of the unicorn lingered in her mind much longer than she had initially intended. Why was she feeling this way? What part did her unicorn friend play in the weird feeling of her heart? At first she had thought it was just an overwhelming sense of gratitude, but it seemed that it was so much more than that. Stupid Twilight. Even when she wasn’t trying to think about…those things, she was still compelled by some unseen force to contemplate over SOMETHING that involved the unicorn. It was weird and stupid.

Just like Twilight.

Yep. Just like stupid, sexy Twilight.