• Published 2nd Jan 2012
  • 14,013 Views, 2,430 Comments

Jericho - Crushric



If you came to hear a story, I'm sorry to disappoint. I suspect this'll just end up as one big confession, really. Still, with enough wit, some Prussian ingenuity, a droll sense of humor, and wanton murder, I might just be able to survive.

  • ...
70
 2,430
 14,013

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 23 — Ice

Chapter 23: Ice

“It is the fool who puts faith in false saviors.”

Frost.

The cold wind nipped at me like a playful lover who’s suddenly turned to cannibalism. Snow swept by at an oblique, almost forty-five degree angle as I stared ahead at the narrow stone bridge, mayhap wide enough for three ponies shoulder-to-shoulder. It had been built straight over a steep gorge, one side ending here, the other side running straight into the ancient stone of the mountain before me, where a thick-looking set of double wooden doors stood.

“Are you not cold, Sedhoas?” the crystal stallion behind me asked. I turned my head to look at him and all the clothes he was bundled up in. Past him and down the mountain road, I could make out the Crystal City, Côrint, and the megalithic crystal tower at its heart. The shadows of one of the many evergreen-like trees that ruled this mountain fell upon him as he looked up at me.

I looked at my leather duster, hat, and standard attire therebeneath. “No, not so much,” I chuckled. “Trust me, where I’m from, you learn to deal with the murderous cold. Especially after der langen Nacht des Herzenstrostes. When there’s so much ash, smoke, and dark magic in the air that it blocks out the sky for three whole years, you, like me, learn to deal with the cold rather well.”

“If you say, Sedhoas,” he replied, addressing me by what I had assumed was their version of mister. For all I knew, though, it could have been the word to describe a sniveling, slimy set of diseased female genitals leaking a strange off-white ooze. On another note, I’d learned that dh made a sound like the th in the Equestrian ‘the’, whereas a crystal th went like the th in ‘thin’. It was probably just me, but that kind of thing was neat.

“But we are here,” he concluded.

“Hmm,” I hummed, looking out across the bridge and the gorge it spanned, at the white stone and the icy river running far below. “Sometimes, I wonder what it would be like to kill a bunch of ponies, skin them, and then turn their skin into a giant blanket that I could attach to myself and use to slow my fall from a great height.” I turned to him. “But first, I need to find out how long it takes for a pony to—”

“Nope,” he said, and turned around, proceeding down the icy path down the mountain.

“Dammit,” I spat. “They’re learning.” The door at the other end of the narrow, gray-brick bridge became again the center of my attention. It had only been hours since I killed that giant stallion in that arena, and no sooner had I cleaned myself off and put my testicles on ice than crystal guards in black armor came and found me, telling me that I was wanted somewhere.

And so here was that somewhere. This high up was apparently above the snowline, and I think I saw some kind of carnivorous deer eating what looked like a cat-like walrus down in the gorge below, but here I was nevertheless. Somehow, I ended up wondering if it was possible to stick rubber bands up a mare’s nipples in case I needed to defend myself against a mare with six giant, overinflated teats like a dog with terrible teat tumors. Because I’d seen such teat tumors before, and they bounced in a horrifically horrible, horribly hypnotic way.

So as the wind battered me, I ended up wondering if my nipples had holes in them like a mare’s did. The only thing that stopped me there from taking my shirt off and poking at my nipples with a syringe was the distant cry of some kind of animal that didn’t sound like it’d make a good charades partner. That, and a three-eyed raven landing on the bridge’s stone railing.

“Oh, no,” I groaned. “You’re a bout of unnecessary symbolism, aren’t you?”

The raven just looked at me. Bits of snow hit it, making the bird look to be almost a giant pile of salt and pepper. It watched me as I crossed the narrow bridge and listened to the howl of the wind and the sound of a distant waterfall. I knocked on the wooden doors, and when I got no answer, I tried for the handles. They opened, the raven flew off, and I stepped into the mountain.

Closing the door behind me, I looked out at the foyer, brightly lit by more of those glowing crystals that left weird blotchy spots in my eyes if I looked at them for too long. Carved from the rock itself by masterful hooves, this place looked both ancient and new. It was semi-circular with a dome roof, the white stone of the walls absolutely covered with paintings of ponies engaged in countless deeds.

The centerpiece of the room, before the foyer gave way to a large stone staircase lined by green plants, was a statue of a mare in robes. Her eyes were blue glowing crystals that seemed to glare at me as she held a mighty staff in one hoof. I cocked a brow as I noticed her snake-like tail coming out from her robes and coiling around her leg.

I trotted past the statue and up the stairs, noticing a weird scent of lavender in the air. The room beyond the top of the stairs made me pause. In this circular room with numerous door scattered about there was a very circular little lake, its edges made of some kind of tan tiling: at center of the little lake was a tiny island upon which stood a white tree with golden leaves. Above the tree was a hole in the cave’s ceiling where sunlight poured in from. Steam rising off the water must have kept this place free from snow, judging by how warm the room was, but that hole had to a be a titanic structural flaw. I could just imagine a pile of leopards getting in through that hole and murdering everyone in here in a hilariously unseen fashion that just made me want to become a leopard breeder solely to cause it.

Around the rest of the rotunda, it looked partly like city. The bits of rose beds by stairs leading up to a balcony-like areas surrounded the rotunda reminded me of little gardens before second-story apartments, and the paneless windows gave this place an abandoned feel, like some ancient horror was about to jump out of the shadows, denounce me for “violating its resting place”, and then tickling me until I pissed myself to death. Because there wasn’t much worse it could do it me after I nearly had my balls ripped out.

But above all of that, the thing that really held my attention was the white mare with the raven-black mane, who was standing over in a part of the room that looked to be some sort of statue. She was dressed as what looked to me to be some sort of worker. The mare was swinging a pickaxe at the statue as she sang in a decidedly cheery, bubbly voice:

“I’ve been working on the railroad

All the pointless day.

I’ve been working on the railroad

While my life gets pissed away.”

“Ma’am?” I asked, walking up to her.

She shrieked, nearly leapt ten feet into the air, and fell to the ground in a position that reminded me of shrimp. I missed shrimp; I could so go for some fried shrimp, sauteed in soy sauce, even if soy products were proven to lower sperm count. What with the testicular beating I got, odds were that I was sterile anyhow.

The mare jumped up, shoving me away with her forehooves. “Don’t sneak up on me like that! There weren’t supposed to be any…” She trailing off, looking me up and down. “Equestrian. You’re an Equestrian.”

I glanced at the mostly ruined pile of rocks that had once been most of a statue. “No, Teutscher. I’m a Teutscher. We’re much cooler than Equestrians.”

She rubbed sweat and bits of chalky stone from her cheek. “Chêngrêlangõ,” she muttered. “You’re that guy, ñar? The Sedhoas who defeated the Lord Marshal in the arena—” her mouth twisted into a smile “—and he who is the the proven greatest champion there is?!”

As she looked at with gleams in her eyes, I heard a flapping sound. The three-eyed raven flew in through the hole in the ceiling, circled the tree, then dove towards me. I shouted something inaudible as I rolled out of my the way, but the mare just stood there, holding out an arm. The bird swooped down and landed on her arm, perching itself comfortably. She muttered something to it in Mijôra, the crystal language, then cocked a brow at me.

“Is something the matter? Do you not like birds?”

I pretended to brush dust off myself. Truth be told, this place was so clean that dust was probably listed on the local ‘endangered species’ list. “Er, it’s fine. Just… I was pretty sure that the bird was trying to peck my eyes out in order to feed to its seven-testicled hellspawn.”

“Aw, he can’t have children, now can he, Yyn?” she asked the bird, nuzzling it. The bird only stared ahead with its horrible, unblinking eyes, as if it knew just how monstrous it was and was tormented by the fact that it couldn’t scream and beg for death.

“Are you referring to me?” I asked in a defensive voice. “I’m sure that having your balls strangled doesn’t permanently murder any children-to-be down there!”

She exchanged looks with the bird. “No, I was referring to Yynwiç here. He’s sterile. You can see his three eyes, yes?”

I glanced to the tree at the lakecenter. “I was pretty sure it was just some weird symbolism.”

“No, he’s was born terribly mutated due to the things that… that King Sombra did. Yynwim loterij—um, I mean, Yyn’s parents just abandoned him, ejaculated him straight from the nest, so I took him in and raised him as if he were my own.”

“Ejected him from the nest,” I offered.

She looked around. “Yes, this is what I said.”

“No, you…” I shook my head. “Nevermind—what was that about a King Sombra?”

“Wç, Dêleth Sombra? I’d rather not talk of him, none really would.” She flashed me a smile, her crystalline complexion seemingly reflecting light from herself and into my eyes. I felt as though I’d need sunglasses just to be around her, but we were technically indoors, and only douchebags and blind ponies wore sunglasses indoors. And don’t even get me started on the sick depravity that is the blind douchebag.

I shifted my weight to another side. “O…kay, then. And so… You’re the High Priestess, aren’t you?”

She gave me a faint curtsy and nodded. The curtsy was off, like she didn’t really know what one was but had the vague idea down. “Ñar, she am I. Ly Vwsokimidh, polan? Atch, cham zô ngihilmiç atmetmiç Metmiç.”

“Yeah, I don’t understand your language,” I said flatly. “And though I understand that speaking loudly and slowly is the universal cross-language, it still won’t help me understand your crazy crystal funnytalk any better. And for that matter, you don’t look much like how I’d pictured you. For starters, I was pretty sure that you were going to be a crotchety old hag, not—”

“A dashing young dame?” she asked with a flutter of the lashes.

Not the words I’d use. Ever. “Yes, that.”

“Well, when the last Goddess calls upon thee, and the old Priestess is dead and rotten in the ground, age doesn’t matter so much as wit and an unshakable faith. But, you wouldn’t know of such faiths. Equestrians have no gods, am I incorrect?”

“Couldn’t say, I’m no Equestrian. But, on the other hoof, I can make a mean soufflé.”

“I like soufflés.”

“So do I.”

The raven made a raven noise. That bastard wasn’t going to be getting any of my soufflés, no sirree.

“So,” I said. “Do you have a name.”

“Kwl,” she said with a shrug.

“Cool? What about it is cool?”

“I… nevermind. Mijôravi joke.”

“Right. Well. I’m Jericho.” I held out a hoof.

The High Priestess extended a hoof, only to poke my offered hoof. “And I am called Snechta.”

“Snesh-tah,” I muttered. “Got it.”

She smiled. “I believe, in mythological connotations, it would equate to the myth of that pale mare and those terrible inbred, deformed short ponies. What was it? Ah, yes—Snow White. That is my name, Snechta AKA Snow White. At your service, Sedhoas.”

“Hmm,” I hummed. “Like Schneewittchen, as she’s called in my land.”

Snechta smiled. Her raven flew off and hit a wall spectacularly. It slid down, fluttered, then got back up. It was back in the air within moments, no real worse for wear. “Poor baby. That third eye is without use, and his vision is overall poor, but I still love him. He was a gift from Chêngrêla, I am sure.” She stepped around me and walked, leaving her pickaxe and the mostly broken statue behind. “Follow, Sedhoas.”

And I did. She led me up a set of stairs, through a door, down a corridor, and into a wide, airy room. It looked like a giant bathhouse built out of a natural hot spring, complete with steam, slightly bubbling water, and a towel rack off to the side. “I’ve been working all day to destroy those statues. Nopony’s here to help me, and it’s tiring work.”

I looked around the baths. Suffice it to say that, like every room here, it was brightly lit by those same crystals that were probably killing me from radiation. Oh, I could just feel the tumors now! “Why even were you trying to destroy them?”

“Well, because since all gods but Chêngrêla are dead now, I figured it fitting to destroy all effigies of the dead gods, leaving only the ones to the still-living Goddess intact.” She winked at me. “And I believe that some hard sweat does a pony good, don’t you?”

“You know,” I said in a flat tone, “I came here looking for you. They said that you’d only have time for me if I won—”

“Wait. So you put on what was certainly the best Mançthwl performance in history, winning against the reigning Lord Marshal, greatest warrior in the land, all for me!” She actually blushed at that, putting a hoof to her cheek.

I shrugged in a noncommittal sort of way. “Well, if you phrased it as ‘I murdered a guy I didn’t know for a girl I’d never met’, it’d sound far less romantic. Almost atrocious, really.” I paused. “And I find it rather telling that your expression isn’t changing at all right now.”

“Why, I don’t think you really understand just how flattering and romantic that is! You didn’t even know the mare whom you champion for, I hear, before you came to find me.”

“Those nice stallions in the black armor came to bring me to you, first of all. And second of all, of course I didn’t know the mare; I just met her off the street when she propositioned me. Do you expect me to just know some random mare off the street?”

She bounced once. “Well, if you knew her then, there would have probably been some serious negative political ramifications.”

I just looked at her. “I get the feeling that you and are I actually having two different conversation centered around some significant point I’m not getting.”

Snechta gave me an odd look, then walked off into another room, me following her. “You know,” she said, pointing around in the room that reminded me of a dressing room, “this is where I found her.”

“Found whom?”

“The old High Priestess,” she sighed. “She was just a rotten skeleton, nigh a millennium old. When Côrint returned and after Cadence, Shining Armor, and that dragon saved us, I wandered up the mountain with Yyn. I didn’t know what I was expecting, but I knew that this mountain temple was not caught in the lock that kept Côrint frozen in time.” Snechta gestured to a corner. “She was there; I suspect she hung herself, but the rope had long since rotten away before I ever got here. A thousand years is a long time.”

“I don’t understand. Frozen in time? Saved you?”

The mare looked at me like a radish looks at hamburger: forlornédly. “A millenium ago, a dark stallion, the dreaded King Sombra, once the leader of the military caste, overthrew our government and made himself King of the North, around the same time as that whole Nightmare Moon debacle further to the south. One way or the other, Côrint was banished from existence, trapped in a time loop for a thousands years before we were permitted to return.” She gave me sad eyes. “Every crystal pony you see is over a thousand years old. Even the foals, who had been stuck in their mother’s wombs for an eon. But we don’t seem so old, for we did not age nor did we feel nor did we have anything in that loop. One day, it was a thousand years ago. The next day, it’s been a thousand years, the old king is dead, and long live the Equestrian usurper who sits upon the false king’s throne as if the throne had always been there.”

“What?”

Snechta spun to face me, her eyes pleading. “You said you did this all for me, right?”

“I think you’re taking something out of c—”

“You want me for something, and you’ve proven yourself the greatest warrior in the land with what you did this day.”

“And I hear that you have a great healing spell that can restore me to how I was before I lost my eye.”

Snechta paused at that. “I… I think it’s possible. If there’s anypony who knows healing magic, it would be I. Only I could wield the Gift.”

“The Gift?”

“Yes, the Gift.”

I just looked at her. “You know, you might as well call it ‘the walrus tusk’ for all the significance it has right now, and nothing would change on my end. Seriously, just a fancy name means nothing.”

“It was a gift from Chêngrêla, her presence, the relic she bestowed to bless our once-mighty empire.”

I still just looked at her. “You know, in my language, the word gift, das Gift, means ‘poison’. So from my point of view, you’re just making it sound worse.”

“I… I beg your pardon?”

“Doesn’t matter,” I replied, shaking my head. “But you say there is a way to heal grievous, old wounds?”

Snechta gave a hesitant nod, and then she gave me a devilish smile. “Yes, though it’d be a bit tricky to activate and manipulate; however, I believe I know just the perfect place to find exactly what I need for the ritual.”

I shifted my weight, cocking a brow. “I can tell that this won’t be free on my part. What would you have me do?”

“You’ve done this sort of deal before, haven’t you?”

“Sold my soul and abandoned my morals because sometimes magic was just easier than being a good pony?” I asked. “Yes. Yes, I have.”

She giggled. “So, you want my help? I want you to find something for me, something I want most desperately and that just so happens to have the ritual that you need in it.” Snechta leaned in close, her lips going to my ear. Well, she tried to. Since I was so much taller than her, the attempt failed. I had to lean down for her. “I want you to find me a very, very unique book.”

I frowned. It took every ounce of my willpower not to reprimand her for saying “very unique”, and then giving her a lecture as to why something couldn’t be “very unique”. Really, how can something be “very one of a kind”? It just made no sense. And in that moment, a part of me came to dislike Snechta.

|— ☩ —|

The Crystal Castle was very weird inside. All the surfaces looked reflective, but weren’t. It was seriously freaking me out. The frequent purple carpets and flags on the wall, plus the occasional potted plant, helped keep me sane…ish. As for how I got into this situation, well, apparently Snechta had a friend in the watch. And Snechta wasn’t allowed in the castle because, in Snechta’s own words, Princess Cadance so ridiculously claimed that Snechta was “propagating a dangerous religious cult”. Now all I had to do was find the Imperial Archives, which were separate from the public library outside, somehow.

As I walked the tall halls—nopony really stopped me once I was in, possibly because I was wearing my suit—I came to wonder just why it was we attributed value to gold and gems. Why wasn’t money measured in useful things, like fancy hats? I would totally support an economy based entirely off fancy hats. But sadly, for most of the known world, all currency was measured in Mark, the Reich’s currency, which wasn’t measured in gold but in Mark themselves, because economists were the craziest of all ponies.

I made sure to add “Fancy Hat Economics” to the list of Reasons Why I Shouldn’t Be King.

Following the very nicely placed signs, I eventually came across the large doors that supposedly led into the library. Trying not to draw too much attention to myself, but mostly because I liked feeling like a superspy, I quietly opened the door and stepped in.

“…are all gone,” a stallion was saying from within the room. His voice made my heart stop.

“Do you… did you hear somepony open the door?” a mare asked, and her voice made my heart explode and die horribly.

I looked out at what was once a huge library. Once, because all of the shelves were bare, more bleak and empty than Cards’ sex life. I nearly galloped forwards to the edge of the railing, since I had entered on what seemed to be the second floor of the library.

“No, I don’t think so,” he said, and I looked over the railing and saw just who I thought it was.

“Hey, Duke Elkington!” I called out, waving vigorously at him.

The Duke, who’d been standing in the center of the first floor and seemingly been engrossed with an empty desk as he ran a hoof through his black mane, turned his head. His amber eyes focused on me as he squinted, and then they lost a pound of their luster. “Oh sweet Celestia, no…” I saw him mouth, too quiet for me to hear.

And I sprinted across the library, found the stairs, promptly fell down them and probably sprained my knee, and darted to where the Duke stood with a blank look on his face. I hug-tackled him to the ground. His face remained blank

“Hey, Ellie! I didn’t die even though I’m pretty sure you were counting on me to die and—”

“You,” the mare said. I looked up.

I gasped, and then got up and hug-tackled her tiny body to the ground. “Felicitat! It’s been only a few hours from my point-of-view, but two weeks or so from yours! How are you?”

Felicitat merely muttered something that wasn’t as cute as the squeak I’d been expecting. Cards would have given me a horrified squeak.

Getting off of Felicitat, I looked between the two ponies. “Boy, Elkington, I haven’t seen you since you tied to me to the bed, grabbed my penis, and showed me a whole new meaning of love that I never wanted to know.”

His jaw dropped. Felicitat groaned, then said, “The worst thing about him is that I can never tell if he’s lying. It all sounds honest to me, at least compared to how I can usually tell.”

“I-I never—” Elkington stammered.

“I know, at least I hope I know, but I can’t tell the difference from when he’s lying and stating the truth.”

“Sometimes I insert cabbages into my nose because it’s the only thing that lets me feel anything anymore,” I said darkly.

“Yeah,” Felicitat said, standing up on wobbly legs. “If it were anypony else, I could just tell he was lying from just… the touch, you know? Not with him.”

Elkington brushed imaginary dirt from himself. “Well, Special Agent Faust, I’d say it was good to see you again, but I don’t like to lie unless I really have to.”

“Aw, you really do care,” I chirped. “And, hey, have you seen my lack of an eye and horn?”

The Duke hesitated. “Yes.”

“The Devil’s Backbone did this to me,” I said in happy tones. “And because of that, I lost my left arm/foreleg/whatever.” I waggled said arm at him. “I got a new one from an unholy abomination that lived inside the cross that the Backbone wanted.” He didn’t reply, just exchanged glances with Felicitat. “So, what are you two doing here? And I see you found Felicitat fairly well, huh?”

Elkington’s eyes wandered around the empty, bookless library. “We were looking for a book, but it seems that said book has been removed—extradited, even. And yes, I found Felicitat most well. You did a good thing, somehow, by sending her to me.”

Felicitat chimed in an agreeable hum. “These last few weeks have actually been rather… cool. My empathic powers are totally useful for what Lord Elkington does, dealing with other ponies, intrigue, negotiations, diplomacy.” She smiled. “We came here to try to convince Princess Cadance to lend us a certain few objects from this ancient library while we waited to convince her to let her ponies volunteer to join the Caroleans because he doesn’t have enough influence up here in the north and so—”

“Felicitat,” Elkington said in a firm voice, and her ears flattened.

“Oh, right, sorry.”

“It’s okay.” He patted her on the head, and her ears perked slightly. “What she was trying to say was that my abilities to protect Equestria don’t have much weight up here in the North. The Crystal Empire—or whatever they’re calling it now—Scoltland, Gwent, The Pale, and so forth. I was hoping that Cadance would allow me to assist her in holding back the tide of strange happenings this far north. But she isn’t here right now, even though I scheduled this meeting a week in advance. Apparently, there was a really dark element to some local funfair that Cadance finds herself extremely upset over, and her trying to put an end to it is breeding some heavy dissent amongst the locals. So, I went here to try to find a book to read while I waited for her to return.”

“Ah,” I said, “so you’re up to no good as usual? Keen.”

“I wasn’t up to—” He shook his head. “What are you doing here, even?”

“Eh, I’m working with a local crazy pony High Priestess who wants a book in exchange for fixing the face that I broke when I helped solve your problem. So, basically, I’m also up to no good.” I slid an arm over his shoulders. He tried to pull away, but I held him tight. “But, hey, at least I’m not a rapist.” My expression grew dark. “It’s pretty much the only atrocity I’ve never committed.”

“I feel threatened,” Elkington said in a borderline hostile tone.

“Then thank your heathen Princess that I’m here you keep you safe with my lack of burliness but surplus of killer instincts. I’m like one of those guys whom you pay to protect you because otherwise they’ll beat you to death, except I work for free, but I might still beat you to death, because I’m an equal-opportunity psycho.” I ran my hoof down and poked his belly. “Touch.”

He jerked an arm and freed himself from me before I could lick his cheek—which was I moving to do. Licking was the first step to a non-sexist working environment. And also to cannibalism. “Don’t do that!” he snapped.

I made a really horrible slurping, slapping sound by putting my tongue partly to the roof of my mouth and back of my top front teeth, opening my mouth, tightening my cheeks, and sucking in air. Elkington didn’t even try to hide his disgust for the noise. I smiled thereafter and said, “Okay, Lord Nippelheimr. So, Felicitat.”

The mare blinked. “Huh?”

“Where are all the books that once were here? If you speak true, I’ll buy you a smoothie.”

“What kind?”

“Are we negotiating?”

“Uh-huh!”

“Strawberry-banana,” I offered in a firm, business-like tone.

“I don’t like strawberry-banana.”

I visibly started at that. With wide eyes, I found myself staring at Felicitat. Then, in a dark, throaty voice, I growled, “You’re dead to me.”

Felicitat shrank back, her ears drooping.

Elkington rolled his eyes, patted her on the shoulder, and cooed, “There-there.” Then he looked at me. “It would appear that Princess Celestia very recently demanded that Cadence turn the Imperial Archives here in the Crystal City over to the Royal Archives in Canterlot.”

“So she’s like a werewolf,” I said, “but with books.”

“What?”

“Well, I was originally going to say ‘So, she’s like a vampire, but with dicks’, but that’s my line in reference to myself, if only because it’s an awesome icebreaker at parties. Seriously. There exists no one who is quite as skilled as I am with breaking the ice.” I nodded, leaning up against empty bookshelf. “Oh, is our youthful party laden with far too much high-school-caused sexual tension? Why, let me just go up the second hottest mare at the party, pat her on the shoulder, and give her my condolences that her father died hilariously of prostate syphilis. Then just walk away.”

Elkington sighed. “You know, Faust, you’re not funny. You’re not. You think you are, but you’re not. You’re just cruel and unstable.”

“Hey! I am a pony, not a Höllenhund: ponies don’t belong in stables.”

The Duke said nothing for the longest time, only stared at me. “I can safely presume you should be causing more massacres somewhere else, so why don’t you get to it?”

“Wait. An appealing offer, but wait. So if all these books are in Canterlot, does that mean I have to go to the city of Canterlot in order to get at this special crystal book?” I asked.

He hesitated, looking at Felicitat and flashing her a little smile. Elkington adjusted the collar of his suit as he glanced about the vastly empty, lonely halls of what had once likely been a great library. It had probably mostly been really freaky porn, but some stuff wasn’t.

“I suppose it is.”

“Hmm,” I hummed, rubbing my chin.

“Oh, Fiddler play thee if you’re thinking what I think you’re thinking.” Elkington shook his head, his stance shifting. What, was he preparing to try to fight me? It was so precious! “There’s some sort of party in Canterlot Castle in the next day or so: a significant number of the aristocracy is going to be present. The Princesses will be there, too. So help me Soleil, if you do anything that so much as upsets Princess Celestia… I. Will. End. You.”

My expression twisted into an almost serrated smile. “Say, will they need music there?”

“They already have Sapphire Shores scheduled to play.”

“Well, perhaps in exchange for a promise that I won’t single-hoofedly bring the revolution and kill many ponies, you could do me a small favor—dot, dot, dot, dramatic conclusion.”

|— ☩ —|

As a rule, I didn’t listen much to classical music. I was only one classical ballad away from being a supervillain as it was. Give me smooth jazz or rock ’n’ roll or heavy metal any day. Too bad that Schwermetall didn’t seem to exist in this godforsaken country. Though I did have a few jazz music sheets in my bags somewhere.

When the gray mare took the stage, the large building almost went silent. She readied her cello, looking out at the mostly crystal pony audience. The mare swallowed, easily visible from my place at the very front, alone at my table. Looking around, she seemed to hesitant. Then she looked down to the front row.

I smiled and gave her a curt wave.

Octavia paused, blinking hard. Then she smiled, and she played her cello.

|— ☩ —|

“I can’t believe you actually showed up,” Octavia enthused with a smile as I met her behind L’Opéra. She was leaving it when I caught up with her and offered to carry her cello for her. “Can’t say I have many friends who’d do that, and I don’t even really know you.”

“No, you really don’t,” I said idly, walking alongside her through the dark but rather packed streets of Côrint. Neither of us said a word as we went through the streets. The fair had died down, likely something that Cadance did, as Elkington implied, but I could smell the sugary scents in the air mixed with the vaguely sweet-sour scent of berries. An idea of vanilla permeated the streets, not strong enough to make you gag, but strong enough to make you think pleasant thoughts.

“What are your plans now?” I asked as we nearly got to her hotel. “Do you still play here for another few days?”

“Honestly, I can’t say. The contract was for the day, and they have the choice of renewing the contract for further days.” She ran a hoof through her charcoal mane. “I rather enjoyed that, so I hope they seek to renew it.”

“Well, I think you shouldn’t seek to renew it,” I offered casually.

“What?”

“Well, I think there’s a much better opportunity out there.”

“I don’t follow what you’re trying to say.”

“Miss Octavia, tell me: what is it that you want above all other things?

She looked at me, stopping dead in her tracks.

When she didn’t speak, just kept giving me that puzzled look, I said casually, “Tomorrow night and the night after it holds a rather large event in Canterlot Castle. And mayhap I know a guy, and that guy scheduled a little gray mare with purple eyes who plays the cello to show up at this prestigious event before most of Equestria’s wealthy, well-to-do aristocrats.”

“I… I… What?”

I shrugged. “I’m sorry if I’m intruding in your life and your plans, but Duke Elkington and I are on… friend-foe terms, and on a friendly term I got him to use his influence to schedule you, Miss Octavia Melody, for this fancy party.” Octavia just stared at me, her expression unreadable. “I understand you’ve no reason to believe me, so here—”and I pulled out and gave her an envelope; it was sealed with the coat-of-arms of House Elkington, the swastika. “I had hoped that you’d enjoy this little gift. I’ve ruined and destroyed so many lives over the course of my life that sometimes going out of your way to help a stranger like you is the only thing that lets me sleep at night.”

And so long as I didn’t dream, I would keep sleeping well at night.

Drama queen!

Octavia was slow as she grabbed the letter. Even slower as she opened it, treating it as if it were a holy object. Or a snake. A holy snake, mayhap. One of those snakes that you milk, but instead of venom, you get actual milk, only it’s filled with little hairs. Slower yet did she read the enclosed letter.

“I… I… my Celestia… this is absolutely genuine!” Octavia said under her breath

I set her cello case down. “Yes, it is.”

“B-b-but why?”

“Because.” I turned around, shrugging. “Maybe I’ll see you there.”

“Wait, you’ll be there?”

“In a way. I declined an official invitation, exchanging it for what I just gave you.” I looked up at the moon. “I would much rather crash the party by sneaking in myself. Maybe cause some trouble. You know, generally be an all around bastard. Sometimes it’s just far more fun to be bad.” I waved over my shoulder at her, not looking. “Take care of yourself, okay, Miss Octavia?”

“I will, Jericho. I will. Oh, and one more thing!”

“Yeah?” I asked, hearing her running up to me. I turned around to see her right there.

With tears in her eyes, she kissed me on the cheek. “Thank you, Jericho. Thank you for everything!”

I smiled at her, then walked off without another word.

Author's Note:

Footnote: level up.
New Perk Added: Champion of Côrint — You are the greatest warrior in the Crystal Empire and ponies know it! Whenever dealing with crystal ponies, or indeed any member of the Cult of Chêngrêla, you gain significant bonuses to all speech-related stats and access to (very, very) unique dialog! Also, because this perk incidentally increases your sex appeal amongst crystal ponies, expect to be raped by at least ten times more mares than usual when you’re dealing with crystal ponies. It’d be your own fault, too. If you didn’t want to get raped, you wouldn't have dressed like a slut (IE, dressed at all)

(This is The True Grand Quasi One, Jojo of House Salatcia, here. Many apologies for the short chapter. Worry not, Crushric shall be dealt with. So in the meantime: Who here likes Jazz? Oh, what’s that? None of you? O-oh. Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, of course you all have choices. Haha—shut up. You don’t, actually. W-what do you think this is? A democracy? Hm? No. You’re getting Jazz. So deal with it. <3 dillpicklesaresatanridethegyarados.)

(Hey, guys, Siffer, your Lord and Master, here. Quick question, wonder why Crushric is responding to comments slower? Well, when asked if he or I should assuage your fears about Cards’ death, he said:
Crushric of Orléans: I have too much authority
Siffer: .. You do?
Crushric of Orléans: I am God here
Crushric of Orléans: What I say is the law)

(Onwards to Canterlot!)

PreviousChapters Next