• Published 9th Oct 2012
  • 8,070 Views, 266 Comments

Fluttershy the Transcolt - Mintyluc



Following Fluttershy in first person though all the confusing and scary feelings of first coming out as transgender, all of the mane six react to her coming out in different ways.

  • ...
53
 266
 8,070

Chapter Five: Sour Apples

The three of us trotted along behind Pinkie Pie even though we knew where we were going. Rainbow Dash was flying high above us, Rarity just a hoof or two ahead of me. I was walking as slow as I could, behind the rest of the mares. None of what was going on felt very real anymore to me. While I was sure that I wanted to tell the other ponies, I still had that part of me holding onto fear like I always did.

This one time though, I had to be strong. This is who I am. I saw myself as a colt and regardless of how weird it made me feel, it also made me feel a happiness I'd never felt before. This was right.

"Heeere we are!" Pinkie Pie exclaimed. Rarity looked back at me, smiling as always. She always had the prettiest smile....

"Are you absolutely sure?" Rainbow Dash asked me, floating down to the road.

I nodded my head and smiled at her, "Oh yes, Rainbow Dash. I'm still a little scared to be honest, but I believe this is for the best."

Rainbow Dash smiled at me with a determined gleam in her eye. "Okay. And if anypony gives you problems, they'll be answering to me." Rainbow Dash nodded as she said this. Just as what had happened with Rarity, I was thankful for Rainbow Dash's intentions, but I didn't want anypony fighting because of me and how I feel about myself.

"Oh it's okay Rainbow Da---" Without being able to get another syllable in, Rainbow Dash sped off to the gates of Applejack's farm.

Greeted by our two other friends, Applejack and Twilight, Rainbow Dash stopped in her tracks and smiled at the two then turned around to Pinkie Pie, Rarity and me, "Come on you slow pokes!" she teased.

Pinkie Pie broke out into a quick skip and soon was waiting with the three other mares, soon followed by Rarity. I walked up to the five of them and smiled at all my friends. Applejack welcomed us all and offered us something to drink, but Twilight seemed curious as to what caused our visit.

"Could you two spare a moment or two? We have to talk to you mares about something." Rarity chimed. Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash nodded. While Pinkie Pie still didn't know what we were going to talk about, she was still ever-supportive of the meeting.

"Of course Rarity." Twilight said, exchanging a glance with Applejack. "What about?" Applejack nodded, intrigued.

"Uh, we'll get to that when we are somewhere....private." Rainbow Dash said, her voice descending into a whisper.

"Well, there aint no-pony around here, Dash. We pretty much are in private." Applejack chuckled as she spoke, trying to battle Rainbow Dash's harsh demeanor. As Rainbow Dash frowned, Applejack continued, "But no-pony is in the house, come on in everypony. Twilight and I weren't doing nothing important." Twilight looked at her hooves and laughed, then turned around to go in the house with the other ponies. I smiled, happy that everyone was getting situated without my instruction, but I knew they would all go silent and leave the talking to me once we were inside.

"So guys, what brings you all here today?" Twilight asked.

Rarity and Rainbow Dash exchanged a glance as Pinkie Pie jumped up and squealed, "Well, I actually don't know! The three of them just asked where you were because they wanted to talk about Fluttershy!" she stated matter-of-factly. Everypony looked at me. Oh no...there were so many eyes on me....

"Well Fluttershy? What is it?" Twilight asked, smiling at me reassuringly. Applejack leaned her head in towards me, smiling as well. They were both clearly engaged in what I was going to say.

"Uhm...Well...you see, I...." I stammered. I don't know why this was so hard for me when I was able to say it before. I glanced at Rarity, who flashed an award-winning smile, then over to Pinkie Pie, whose anxiety and excitement of hearing something new was through the roof. Twilight and Applejack sat calmly, clearly not rushing me to speak while Rainbow Dash on the other hoof was gesturing for me to speak up.

"Well, I am a..." I coughed and then spit the word out, "transpony." I immediately looked at the ground, not wanting to see their expressions.

"And if any of you has a problem with that you can---"

"Rainbow Dash, calm down." Rarity demanded. Rainbow Dash lowered her head, embarrassed.

"It's okay Rarity, she's just sticking up for me...." I whispered. Rainbow Dash's ears perked up at my comment.

"Wait. A...what?" Applejack asked,

"A....trans...pony?" Pinkie Pie questioned, "What's that?" That was the moment when I looked up. Pinkie Pie didn't look angry, just curious.

Not too surprisingly, it was Twilight to answer her question, "It's a pony that identifies as a different gender. Some ponies are born that way. Albeit rare, it happens." Twilight looked over at me questioningly, "Although like I said, it is very rare. I've never personally met one that I know of, just read about them. Are you sure Fluttershy? You could just be having feelings of wanting to meet a colt you can be with." I shook my head vigorously. That was not it at all, I was sure. "Do you like....mares?" she asked, whispering now. I shook my head helplessly, feeling irritated that she wasn't believing me.

"Wait wait wait. So, what does this mean?" Applejack asked.

"It means," Pinkie Pie stated, "That Fluttershy wants to be a colt!"

Rarity shook her head, "No dear, she already sees herself as one."

"Shouldn't we be calling you 'he' then, Fluttershy?" Rainbow Dash asked me suddenly. I hadn't thought about that yet.

"Most transponies request that" Twilight added, "A few don't, but it's customary."

"Wait so Fluttershy is a colt?" Applejack asked thoroughly confused. Twilight nodded,

"It seems peculiar, but sh---he says so." Twilight stated

"Wait...What's peculiar about it?" Rainbow Dash demanded

"It's just that not many ponies are actually transponies, some go through phases or---" Twilight was interrupted by Rarity.

"Fluttershy is not going through a phase." Rarity yelled, slamming a hoof down

"All I mean is---" Twilight tried.

"I still don't get it! Why do you look like a mare then, Fluttershy?" Applejack asked, starting to get angry.

"Because silly. It's not how she looks, it's how she feels about inside!" Pinkie Pie said, nodding to herself.

Everyone stammering comments out to one another was starting to get too overwhelming for me.

"Please. Can we talk one at a time?" I asked. The ponies continued on and bickered. "Please?" I said again, yet louder.

All the ponies looked at me and nodded, simmering down. Everyone seemed to calm down, except for Applejack.

"I still don' get it! How can you say you're a colt if you are clearly are mare?" She was not yelling, but her frustration was clear.

"She's not a mare, Applejack, even if sh---he looks like one" Rarity clarified.

Twilight nodded, "Most transponies end up having surgies to correct their body" Twilight added. Applejack gasped,

"Surgeries?" Applejack asked, "Why? So they can have a---" Applejack gasped again, looking at me funny. "Do you want that?" she asked me.

"Uh---That's a personal question Applejack" Twilight pointed out. Applejack shook her head,

"I...I don' care! All of this affects me just like it affects y'all!" she blurted out. "I just don't...I don't understand! How could somepony want that?" Applejack started pacing around. "It just doesn't make any sense to me. I---I'm sorry everypony." And with that, Applejack fled the room. Twilight started to run after her, but Rainbow Dash stoppped her.

"Let her go Twilight." she said.

Pinkie Pie nodded, "She just needs to sort her thoughts out."

Throughout the scene that unfolded before me, nopony took the time to realize I was crying. Not until now. Rarity rushed to my side,

"Oh Fluttershy! That was awful. I'm sorry she said all that in front of you."

"Speaking of saying stuff in front of Fluttershy, what was up with all that phase stuff?" Rainbow Dash darted her eyes towards Twilight helplessly.

Twilight was startled, like she had said absolutely nothing wrong. "I just meant---" Twilight waited a moment. "Fluttershy did I make you cry? I was just---"

"That this is a phase? Do you think she'd be crying if this was a phase?" Rainbow Dash asked, sighing. Rarity gave Rainbow Dash a stern look, telling her to calm down. Rainbow Dash took a deep breath. Then, "Twilight, look. Fluttershy is hurt. Really, really hurt. Don't you think she must be sure of this?" she asked desperately.

"'He'!" Pinkie Pie corrected. Rainbow Dash sighed at Pinkie Pie.

"All I mean is that she could not know how she feels. She might be...confused. If I talked with her one-on-one I might get a better idea of how she feels about herself." Twilight offered.

Rainbow Dash wasn't buying anything Twilight was saying though and her last comment revved Rainbow Dash back up again, "Confused? Twilight...not everything has to be analyzed and studied! Some things just are...For once can you not be such a loser and let this happen?" Tears welled up in Twilight's eyes. Rainbow Dash had used the one insult that actually offended Twilight---and she knew it. Twilight fled from the room, running in the direction than Applejack had. Rainbow Dash turned around and was now facing me and Rarity as well as Pinkie Pie who had just joined us.

"Was all that really necessary Rainbow Dash? I mean the name calling---really?" Rarity asked, sighing.

"I'm sorry." she spat out. "I mean---just look at her! They're making this so much more difficult than it needs to be. How many times did Twilight explain it? And Applejack still didn't understand! And Twilight...and her phase stuff. Ugh..." Rainbow Dash whimpered, looking toward me.

"They just don't understand, yet. They'll come around. It's very possible that Applejack really hasn't heard of this type of thing before. It's no insult on her, she just needs a moment to let it...soak in." Rarity said, to both me and Rainbow Dash. "And Twilight---well...She always tries to have an answer for everything. Perhaps Fluttershy's news scared her?" Rainbow Dash slumped down in front of me. I wiped my teary eyes and looked at her.

She offered a half-smile to me. "Fluttershy---I'm sorry." Rainbow Dash whispered.

I wanted to tell her it was okay, but this time, it just wasn't.