• Published 24th Feb 2024
  • 2,200 Views, 867 Comments

Other Duties As Required - Hiver



It might not be rain season in Nocturnis, but when it rains, it pours.

  • ...
8
 867
 2,200

Chapter 9

I smiled at Sparks, "Now, remember to try to actually get some relaxing done as well. No need for a full schedule of events."

That earned me a look from Sparks, but Sunset smiled, "Don't worry, I won't let her," she said before her ears perked up, "And they are finishing the loading. We should get going."

I nodded and gave them each a soft kiss, "And remember, have fun."

Twilight kissed back, "We will," she agreed, "Miss you."

"Miss you too, Sparks," I said and then winked, "But we can always meet you know where."

"See you there," Sunset said and then pulled Twilight alone, "They're waiting for us!"

"And I need to get going too," I said and waved before I wrapped myself in a teleport and suddenly I was in one of the underground shelters at the train station.

Midnight, Amber, Thorax, Spike and Talon were already there.

"Okay," I said, "We need to move quickly. Everypony knows the plan?"

"Got it, sir," Amber agreed and green fire flowed across her and suddenly there was a second Blank Page facing me. I blinked at her and looked her up and down. Do I really look like that?

"And this is for you," Midnight said as she approached, "This is still a bad idea, mind you."

I smiled, "But it's going to work, right?"

"Yes," she grumbled, "Most likely," and floated a small metal stud from a box, "This will transform you to look like a batpony fully. It will be a physical transformation, but you'll still be an alicorn beneath so you'll have your magic. Don't want to risk this on an illusion."

I eyed the metal stud, "...I thought we talked about illusion and necklace. I know how you Sparkles are about transfiguration magic..."

That earned me a glare, "You asked me, remember? I can pick where I put this, it can be ear, tongue or somewhere else. So feel free to keep talking."

I shut up.

Somepony woke up on the wrong side of bed this evening. Midnight is as scary as Sparks when angry.

"Anyway, it's not quite the same as transfiguration," she explained and it floated out of my field of view and there was a sharp pain through my right ear.

I managed to keep quiet, but that stung!

A cold sensation flowed through and across me and suddenly I was looking up at her. I must have shrunk at least a hoof in height!

She took a sponge and dripped some sort of potion at it before dabbing it at my ear, "There," she said, "Should stop hurting in ten minutes or so. A necklace could have gotten snagged somewhere and revealed the entire thing."

"Here's the bags," Spike said, carrying a pair of worn looking saddle bags over to me, "Your name is Night Wind, goes by Night. You're from a small village on the other side of the Everfree forest named 'Waterdeep'. We haven't gotten any ponies moving in here from there yet or even from the general area."

I slipped the bags over my back and looked at myself.

Batpony stallion of average height, grey coat, black mane, amber slitted eyes. An open book cutiemark.

"...How in the world did you fake my cutiemark, I thought that was impossible," I asked.

"Complicated, and it's not faked. Just a lensing effect of intent. Now get going, thirty seconds!"

I nodded firmly, "Thank you!"

I focused on my magic to wrap myself in a teleport field. Time to see if I was still an alicorn!

Sure enough, the air before my forehead took on a familiar golden glow and I reappeared in the bathroom of one of the last passenger carts.

I took a deep breath, wanted ten seconds listening hard before I exited and jumped off the train, just as it started to move again. I landed easily on the train station, ears turning as I looked around.

"Welcome to Nocturnis!" somepony said and I looked over towards an approaching earth pony guard wearing the unicorn of the Nocturnis guard. For an earth pony, he wasn't especially big, about the size of Applejack actually.

"H-hi..." I said, taking a hesitant step back.

He stopped and smiled at me, "Relax. I'm Mashed Potato. Call me Pot. New arrival?"

I nodded, "Night Wind. Go by Night," I answered and blinked at him, "...Feels strange."

Potato nodded understandingly, "Got decursed by the Princess?"

"Yes, sir."

"You're walking after a couple of minutes, that's better than most. Must have gotten one of the weaker curses. You'll do fine," he said with a smile, "Come on, let's get you to the office and get you registered."

I paused, "...Registered?"

Potato nodded, "Just procedure. Need to know who moves to the village and all. It'll set you up with a place at the loft and a small starting stipend."

"Oh."

"Do you have any family in town already?" he asked as I started to follow him towards the small building at one side of the train station.

I shook my head, "No family. Just me."

He nodded, "Not uncommon," he admitted, "Here we go," he said with a smile and pulled the door open for me, "I'll wait outside."

"Thank you," I said and walked inside. It was late, the first rays of the sun starting to filter in through the high window and the mare by the desk looked sleepy. That quickly went away when she saw me however,

"Oh! A new arrival!" she said, her bat wings rising as she smiled.

I paused and stared at her. I had seen enough new arrivals to know that was the right reaction. Many bats that arrived had never seen another bat that wasn't a parent before. Seeing another of their kind, especially of the other sex had to be an experience.

She didn't seem to mind at all, just smiling at me, "I'm Cherry Blossom," she said and brushed her mane back with a hoof, "And you?"

"Oh, sorry!" I quickly said and glanced away, "I'm Night Wind. I-I'm new."

Blossom nodded, "Welcome to Nocturnis. You're the only one this time?"

I nodded, "Yeah," I said and moved to sit down on the chair she directed me towards.

She smiled, "Let's get you registered then. Possibly tonight, you might get to meet Prince Page. He likes meeting all the new arrivals if possible."

I slowly nodded, "I see."

She got some papers together, "Alright Night Wind... previous place of living?"

"Waterdeep."

"Family?"

I shook my head, "...No."

Blossom's smile turned a bit sad, "I understand. Occupation?"

"I was a technical writer. I'm not sure that works out here," I admitted.

Blossom shrugged, "You never know," she said and put it down, "And that's pretty much what we need!"

I looked at her in surprise, "What, really?"

"Yes," she said, "This is mostly a census so we know how many and which ponies we have in town and to get you registered for a place to stay. There is a waiting time for somewhere private unless you build it yourself, but there is plenty of space on the loft to hang your tail. The guard will bring you to the village and show you where you can stay. Tomorrow somepony from the welcoming office will come and meet you and show you around, get you signed up with the employment office. See if we can't find something that fits you."

Slowly nodding, I met her eyes, "Thank you."

Blossom smiled at me and jumped off her chair to round her desk. She gently put her hoof against my shoulder as she looked into my eyes, "Welcome to Nocturnis. You're free now."