• Published 24th Feb 2024
  • 2,200 Views, 867 Comments

Other Duties As Required - Hiver



It might not be rain season in Nocturnis, but when it rains, it pours.

  • ...
8
 867
 2,200

Chapter 12

I checked the prices on the list and entered it into the register, "And fifteen for the potatoes puts us at a total of fifty three bits," I said with a smile.

She smiled back, her bat wings shifting slightly on her back, "Oh, any chance I could have some of those raisins as well?" she asked, pointing high on the shelf behind me.

"These?" I asked and reared up, grabbing one of the small bags with my other hoof put onto the lower shelf, "One or more?" I asked, glancing back at her.

"One should be enough, thank you," she said with a smile, "How much is that?"

"An even fifty five," I said after entering it, "Anything else I can do for you?"

She brushed a hoof through her mane, "Oh, no, I think that's all I can afford for now. You're new here? Haven't seen you before.

"Arrived this morning," I said, "Names Night Wind. Iron Brand was kind enough to give me a chance."

"Silver Arrow," she introduced herself and held out her hoof.

I reached across the counter and touched it with mine, "A pleasure."

She smiled and then started to count out the bits on the counter, "Come alone or with family?"

"Oh, just me," I said and scooped the bits into the register, "No family."

"I'm sorry."

I shook my head, "It's alright," I said with a small smile.

She nodded and started to pack her things away into her bag, "Well, welcome to Nocturnis. I'm sure things will go much better for you here. It can be difficult, but we like our town."

"Seems nice so far," I agreed.

"Oh, I should get going. Thank you so much for your help," she said before she left, giving me a final smile before leaving.

Well, at least everypony was so friendly. That's always nice to see, especially to a newcomer.

Iron Brand exited from the back, carrying a basket to restock the shelves behind the counter, "Was that Silver Arrow I heard?"

"Yep, seemed nice," I said and looked at the shelves, "That's the sixth bag of raisins I sold so far. Are they very popular?"

"I usually sell that many a week," he commented with a smirk, "Local fillies checking out the new colt, making you stretch for them."

Oh.

I felt the inside of my ears turn a bit red.

"And on that note," he said and started to remove the raisins from the shelf, replacing them with what looked to be more expensive sewing thread spools.

Well, merchant is going to merchant I guess.

Also, do we really have that much of a lack of stallions around? Or is it just that I'm new? Sure, the form Midnight gave the transformation was on the nice looking side of average, but I wasn't that pretty.

The door opened and a unicorn wearing solar guard armor entered.

I turned to him with a smile, "Welcome, sir, how can I help you?" I asked.

"Pipe tobacco, please," he said, stopping by the counter, "Seventy bits worth."

"Of course," I agreed and looked at Iron Brand. He barely glanced at me before nodding towards the back.

Heading around into the back room, it didn't take me too long to find what I was looking for. Finding the weight and pricing chart on the wall next to it, I weighed out and packaged the right amount before returning.

"Sorry for the wait," I said and put the pack on the counter, "I'm brand new, still learning."

"Eh, it's alright," the guard said and counted out the bits, "Thanks."

I nodded, "Welcome back," I said and took the bits as he floated the pack into his bag on his way out.

The door closed behind him and Iron Brand scowled at the door, "Damn sunners think they own the place," he grumbled before going back to stocking the shelf.

I raised an eyebrow, "Sunners?"

He nodded, "Sun ponies. The Equestrians. Everything has gone downhill since they put up that damn base to keep an eye on us. They do nothing but cause trouble. Not enough they made us hide for thousands of years."

"...He seemed nice enough. And he did buy seventy bits of tobacco."

Iron snorted, "Nice now. Then something will happen, ponies will panic and they'll blame us for it. Tried to kill our Prince, they did. Couldn't stand us bats getting anything."

"I thought that was a random madpony."

Iron shook his head, "So they say. Don't buy it, more were involved. I know how things work."

"I'm not sure Princess Celestia woul-"

He looked at me, "I don't want to imply the Princesses know something about it," he said and sighed, "...Never done anything for me until Prince Page arrived. Used to hate the stupid bint. But Prince Page loves them, so I guess they have to be decent enough sorts so I likely was wrong about that. Don't mean other ponies weren't involved. You know how we'd been treated."

"...Yeah," I admitted, glancing down, "But there are a lot of ponies here that's not bats."

Iron shook his head, putting his hoof on my shoulder, "It's not the same. The ponies here may be bats or they may not be. They're our friends and neighbors. It's not about tribes, it's about some ponies not being able to stand anypony that's not like them."

"He seemed alright though."

Iron nodded, "But what is he really here for? Training? Or because the Equestrians don't trust us and put a base of sunnies close enough to do something about it if necessary? The Princesses might not even know about that plan."

I frowned but the door opened and Fluttershy poked her head inside,

"Hi, I'm back!" she said with a smile, "How have things been going?"

"Well enough," Iron Brand told her with a nod, "He'll do for now," he said and opened the register, counting out thirty bits onto the counter, "For your work today," he told me, "Come back tonight at dusk."

"Yes boss," I agreed with a nod, getting my bag before scooping the bits into it before I looked at Fluttershy, "Where next?"

She smiled at me, "Now, I'll show you around the usual landmarks."