• Published 24th Feb 2024
  • 2,212 Views, 868 Comments

Other Duties As Required - Hiver



It might not be rain season in Nocturnis, but when it rains, it pours.

  • ...
8
 868
 2,212

Chapter 18

The bathhouse had been nice. Also very affordable which was the point, why have it if everypony couldn't afford to use it often?

We certainly didn't want to have anypony having to resort to bathing in the river, something would eat them.

It did make me think a bit as I don't remember ever having paid for when I visited in the past. Going to have to fix that as a policy, if a normal pony would pay for something, then so shall I.

As an image thing if nothing else. A way to put my hoof down as well, they may want to treat me like royalty, but there is a limit, especially when not doing it may be taking actual food from their mouths.

I checked my bag again as I left the market.

Market had also been nice and I could have spent another couple of hours browsing it, but I had somepony to talk to so I had just picked up some snacks and a lizard on a stick.

I need to introduce lizard on a stick at the palace, that had been great! I'm fairly sure Sunny and Sparks would not appreciate it however.

Kisses were still banned for hours after I ate meat, damn it.

Smiling a bit to myself, I entered the Loft and headed for my little room, kicking the door closed behind me before I put the bag down on the floor. That done I took a leap, pushing off the desk and flipping over backwards, catching the rafter with my tail on the way.

I swung wildly, using my wings to quickly slow the pendulum down before I pulled my legs against my body and wrapped my wings around myself.

Yes.

I definitely need to sleep like this more often. Low in cuddle factor, but more comfortable than even a cloud.

Closing my eyes, I yawned before using a bit of magic to slip off into sleep.

My eyes opened again, this time taking in the sparkles of the seemingly infinite dream realm. Stretching, I allowed my dream self to revert to my real alicorn form before I got to business, checking on everyponies dreams.

I had not done that for a few nights, kinda difficult to do while working at a store, but Luna was gone for a thousand years and things didn't burst into flames.

As expected, things were not too bad.

I canceled some dreams, redirected others, checked on two that might have been but weren't Nightterrors.

Luna exited a dream to my left, "My Page," she said.

"My Sky," I answered, stealing a quick kiss as we crossed paths and then we continued on our errands. She onto more dreams and me seeking a specific one.

It didn't take long to find Candances dream and I was in luck. Usually it was tinged pink which means I wasn't touching it with a bargepole, but today it was a steady calm silvery blue. But I also knew that I should hurry and get in there before it changed.

Let's just say that even with the seeming difficulties alicorns seem to have to get foals, I'm surprised Flurry Heart does not have a dozen brothers and sisters by now.

I touched my horn to the silvery surface and slipped through, the dream formed around me and revealed soft grass, blue skies and trees. I blinked and looked around before I smiled, recognizing the place.

Finding Cadance was not difficult either, she was sitting with a canvas and paint, Shining Armor on a blanket on the grass, reading a book as she painted him.

I smiled, remembering a very similar scene with Luna and myself in the past before I sighed.

Damn, I miss that time.

Moving up, I checked the painting. Hmm. She's pretty good, actually. Assuming the dream isn't filling in blanks anyway.

Then I quickly backed off before tapping my hoof against the grass as I started to get closer again. Cadance stopped mid brushstroke before she blinked and looked around, "Wha- oh, Hi Page!"

I gave her a bow, arching my wing, "Princess Cadance," I said before standing up again and giving the dream projection of Shining a wave with my hoof, "Hey dude."

He waved back before going back to his book.

Cadance put her brush down, "So... dream?" she asked.

I nodded, "Indeed. I'm sorry to bother you, but I wondered if you would mind talking for a bit? I might need some advice."

Cadance quickly nodded and turned fully to me, "Of course, Page. About what?"

Sighing, I settled down facing her before pulling some tea out of nothing, setting down a pair of cups, "How do you handle the Crystal Empire? And the crystal ponies?" I asked and then filled her in on everything I had discovered.

Candance just listened, picking her cup up and sipped the tea as I explained.

When I finished, she frowned before she sighed, "I wish I could help, Page, but I never run into that sort of issue here. We have valuable exports and nobody fears Crystal ponies. And they see Equestria as having saved them from Sombra."

I sighed and nodded, "Alright, it was worth a shot."

"What does Twilight think?"

"...Haven't told her," I said, "I sent her and Sunny on a vacation before I started my investigation, before I had the idea to start one even. If I ask, she and Sunny will worry about it or even cut it short and return early and they deserve this break."

Cadance flicked one ear, "They won't be happy with you about that."

"Bucking tough. They haven't had a real vacation for years, so they're taking one."

Cadance smiled, "You're a good stallion, Page. I'm glad Twilight and you found each other."

"She seems to think it would have happened eventually even if we didn't get together by proxy first from our relationship with Sunny," I said and sipped my own tea.

Cadance looked thoughtful, "Possibly," she admitted, "You did move in a lot of the same circles. And considering the lifespans of alicorns, it's even likely. But considering Twilight is leaning quite a lot in the direction of mares, and you being you, it would likely have taken quite a lot longer."

"Hey," I protested, "That's..." I said before I frowned, "...uncomfortably accurate."

She grinned at me, "Learned to listen to me yet?"

"Absolutely not and you keep your nose out of things," I told her, sipping my own tea.

Cadance smirked, "Blank Page, alicorn of stubbornness. I do have an idea for your problem. You mentioned your idea of tourists?"

"I did," I agreed, "You have thoughts?"

"The Crystal Empire is not strictly Equestria. Also, my ponies look a bit different from regular Earth ponies. Our trade of crystals have made my people a fair bit of bits and I can assure you that quite a bit of them would find Nocturnis very exotic and exciting."

I slowly nodded, "That's a very long trip however."

"It is," Cadance admitted, "But it's a long trip from everywhere. And your thought of making the train trip part of the experience is a good one."

"It is, but we would need to buy a train," I pointed out.

Cadance nodded, "I may be convinced to invest," she said, "Buck, I'll drag Shining and Sunburst along on the first trip. I have been looking for an excuse to visit Twi and you guys again anyway."

I smiled at her, "Cadance, you're amazing."

"Thank you," she said with a small smirk, sipping her tea, "Don't you worry, we'll figure this out. I think it's a good idea actually."

"Speaking of good ideas, have anypony told you about Sanctuary yet?" I asked.

She looked at me with curiosity, "What's Sanctuary?"

"A shared dream realm of my own creation," I explained, "If you while you fall asleep think of the word 'sanctuary' you will end up there instead of a normal dream. And if they did the same, so would Shining and Sunburst."

Her jaw dropped a bit, "Oh!"

I smiled, "Time together, away from the palace, expectations, ponies..."

"...That sounds very nice," she admitted, "We'll be sure to try it tonight."

"Use a sleep spell, it makes it easier for a beginner to hold the word in their mind as they fall asleep," I advised her before getting to my hooves, "...And on that note, I have work to do."