• Published 24th Feb 2024
  • 2,200 Views, 867 Comments

Other Duties As Required - Hiver



It might not be rain season in Nocturnis, but when it rains, it pours.

  • ...
8
 867
 2,200

Chapter 11

"So what do you think so far?" Fluttershy asked with a smile as she led the way along one of the main bridges in the rough direction of the so-called castle.

I moved to the side to be out of the way of a pair of earth ponies carrying planks. I waited until they were out of the way before I answered, "It seems... nice. It's different from where I used to live, a lot more different."

"Any family there?"

"No," I said and shook my head.

Fluttershy nodded a bit, "You're not the only one here. A lot of ponies come here alone. We have even some non-bats arriving looking for somewhere they can build something new."

"Oh. That's the lower town I saw?"

She shook her head, "No, even if a lot of them do prefer to live there. The lower town is mostly made up of ponies without wings; they find it much more comfortable to have their hooves on the ground."

I glanced over the railing of the bridge and the deep drop below, "I guess I can see why," I admitted.

Without wings, working here had to be a bit nerve wracking before you got used to it.

Fluttershy smiled and looked down, "Not all have moved down. Some still prefer to live up here. And some with wings live down on the ground, even some of us bats."

"Is the entire town nocturnal? Even the... non bats?"

She shook her head and started walking again, "No, but the great majority are, especially among us bats. We can be awake during the day, but it takes effort and makes a lot of us feel sleepy."

"I always did have trouble staying awake at school," I agreed, "So what do you do when not guiding new ponies around?"

Fluttershy smiled, "I'm on one of the hunting teams and I help take care of the livestock. I also have some duties to the Prince."

"Oh really?" I asked, "Like what?"

She shrugged her wings a bit, "Mostly organizational for holidays and such."

"What about the other parts? Livestock and hunting?" I asked as we approached the commercial district.

Fluttershy shook her head, "It's not as horrible as it may sound. Most things around here is really dumb and trying to eat us first anyway... and we do need meat in our diet."

"Oh."

She shrugged, "I wouldn't be mad at a cat for hunting a squirrel, she's just trying to eat. We're creatures too. We need to eat as much as the cat does... we're fine on mostly fruit, but we do need some meat after the decursing."

I slowly nodded, flicking one ear.

That had been the biggest thing for most batponies. They had lived with the usual equestrian view of such things all their lives. It was actually remarkable how quickly they adapted. Then again, I suppose it helped that it tasted good.

"Here we are," she said as we reached the general store before leading the way inside. The store wasn't big. Really, none of the buildings in the upper city were what you would call big, even the palace. The lower city was a different matter, especially the bath house which I was actually looking forward to trying. Anytime I went before I was just taken to my own private pool.

Kinda defeated the point in my opinion.

But my ponies had insisted on building the damn thing which meant I had to keep using it.

I followed her into the store where we almost ran into the owner. From the name Iron Brand, you would have expected an earth pony. But no, he was an older bat with a dark grey coat and almost white mane and tail, his mark being that of a golden bit.

"Miss Fluttershy," he said with a smile and a small bow, "How may I help you today? I'm afraid your shipment has not arrived yet."

She smiled, "Oh, that's not why I'm here," she said and motioned to me, "Brand, this is Night Wind. He's a new arrival and employment suggested he try here."

Iron Brand gave me an appraising look, "Night Wind," he said, "Ever worked in a store before?"

"Actually, yes," I said with a smile, "A book store when I was younger."

He nodded, "Might as well try you out," he admitted, "The last two were a complete loss, maybe you'll do better."

Well, I convinced you and everybody else to move to a monster infested jungle, how much more difficult could it be to sell... whatever is sold in a general store. Generals?

Damn, I have not really gone shopping for myself in… quite a few years now.

I suddenly felt rather out of touch.

I nodded firmly, "I'm going to give it my best."

"I'll be back to get him at the end of the night, "Fluttershy said and then looked at me, "Continue our tour then?"

"Yes please, Lady Fluttershy."

She nodded and left, the door closing behind her and I turned to Iron Brand,

"What's first, boss?" I asked with a smile.

He flicked one ear, "First, put your bag in the back. Then I'll show you the register. Then we get to work."

I quickly did as he told me before returning. The register wasn't the same as the one I used way back, but really there was a limited amount of change that could be done to one. It was simple enough.

"And you finish the ringing up by closing the drawer," I said with a nod, sliding it shut.

"Good," he said, "Then I have your first task. Go down the stairs in the back to the lower level, I have sacks of potatoes stored. I need then split up into smaller bags for easy purchase. Not everypony need forty pounds of potatoes at once, nor can afford it, nor the cooling spells to store them."

I nodded, "Potatoes are imported, right? Do we sell a lot of them?"

"Not to other bats," he said, "Some, but the majority goes to undertowners. For being imported goods, it's not that expensive. It's cheaper than grain in any case as we don't import it from as far away either."

"Can do, boss," I agreed with a nod, "How much a bag? One or two pounds?"

"Do two," he said, "Hundred of them should be enough."

Nodding, I trotted into the back of the store and then down the narrow staircase. The place wasn't lit, but the gloom wasn't enough to hinder my vision and small chirps of sonar made it easy enough to navigate.

Opening the door, I slipped inside and instantly shivered.

The room wasn't a freezer, but it couldn't have been more than five or so degrees above freezing. Coming from the thirty plus outside and into here felt like walking into a snowstorm.

The inside was almost pitch black and I looked around, finding the pressure pad I gave it a tap and a small little single glow crystal came to life, giving just enough illumination for me to see by.

Yep, that's a bunch of sacks of potatoes and other goods that liked the chill.

And a stack of much smaller empty sacks.

Might as well get to it.