• Published 24th Feb 2024
  • 2,265 Views, 914 Comments

Other Duties As Required - Hiver



It might not be rain season in Nocturnis, but when it rains, it pours.

  • ...
10
 914
 2,265

Chapter 33

Soft hoovesteps crunched glass covered ground but I didn't move.

What did surprise me however was when a pair of wings settled across my, one from each side.

A soft muzzle touched my ash covered mane, "Talk to us, love," Celestia said gently.

I slowly blinked and raised my head to look at her, "...How did you get here?"

"I brought her here," Luna said from my other side, "What has happened?"

I sighed and looked over at the mountaintop. It was kinda droopy, "Nothing bad, not really," I said quietly and looked at her, "Midnight succeeded in her quest, she found Kirin."

Both her and Celestia's ears perked up,

"She did?" Celestia asked in surprise, "I thought they were all gone!"

"A thousand of them left," I confirmed and flicked one ear before I sighed, "...She's bringing them to Nocturnis."

"Oh Page," Celestia sighed softly and pulled me closer with her wing. I shifted with the motion to lean against her side.

Luna sighed in turn and shifted, resting her head against the side of my shoulder, leaning against me in turn.

...They got it.

Both of them got it at once.

"Kirin are elementals, they apparently burst into flames when angry," I said quietly, resting my head against the side of Celestia's neck, "We live in treehouses. In the trees. Made of wood."

"I'll talk to her," Celestia reassured me.

I closed my eyes before I sighed and shook my head slightly, "No."

"No?" she asked.

"No," I said again, "I'll talk to her when she and the Kirin leaders arrive. We'll figure it out. It was just... everything was just so much for a bit there."

Luna frowned slightly before lifting her head and looking to Celestia, "We have not been very fair to him," she said.

"No, sister," Celestia sighed and her muzzle touched my ear, "We have not. You never asked for any of this, love. We ask too much of you."

I smiled a bit wryly and sighed, glancing up at her, "Sunshine, if that's what it was, I would have told you. But I think the worst thing is that every single thing that happened is my own damn fault."

"Page," Luna said, "That's not-"

"Oh, it's very true," I said and gave her a small smile, "I have been thinking. If I had the ability to go back in time, the ability to change any of the decisions that got me where I am, would I make a different choice knowing what I know now?"

Luna nodded, "Would you?"

"...I tried to think of one," I admitted, "and I couldn't think of a single one. Well, only one I could think of would maybe be avoiding that way in the Everfree Forest to leave Fern with his family. Would have been better for him. Everything else, Chrysalis, Tirek... I'm not sure I could do anything different. I couldn't just stand by and do nothing when it came to any of them. I couldn't just leave my bats to live in fear. Even the creation of Nocturnis, with all its faults I think was the only thing I could have done. Could have picked a different position maybe, closer to the ocean, but... this is where the railway was. So... no, My Sky. Everything is my own damn fault and I wouldn't change any of it if I could."

Luna's ears drooped slightly and she leaned in to give me a small kiss before resting her forehead against mine, horns crossed at the base, "You're a good pony."

"I try to be," I admitted and sighed before I smiled, "...Well, there is one thing I do regret with what I know now."

Luna lifted her head, "What is it?"

I shifted to glance up at Celestia, "That I didn't ask you to marry me at the same time as I asked Luna."

Celestia's ears turned a bit red on the inside, "...I'm not sure I would have accepted at that point," she admitted, "I already liked you," she added, "But it would have been a bad ti-"

"You mean you were still wrapped up in too much guilt about my banishment," Luna told her with a small smile, "And I would have told you so at the time. Maybe we could have had that talk earlier if he had."

Celestia sighed softly, holding me closer with her wing, "...Maybe we would have… but I’m not sure either of us would have been ready," she admitted quietly.

I smiled up at her, "Well?"

She blinked at me, "Well, what, Page?"

"Celestia, will you marry me?"

She gasped softly, ears now turning fully red, "Y-you're asking for real? As in officially asking?"

"I'm asking for real. Best time to ask would have been years ago. Second best time is right now," I told her seriously, "I love you."

Celestia smiled and touched her nose to mine, "Ask me again when we meet in person."

I raised an eyebrow, "Why, think you will change your mind before then?"

"No."

"Think I will?"

"No?"

"So why?" I asked.

Celestia sighed softly and touched her horn to mine, "Because, love, while you do mean it, right now you're trying to distract us from our stallion hurting. And it’s not going to work."

Sighing, I shifted to lean against her side, resting my head against her neck.

Luna leaned against my side in turn, kissing my cheek, "Nopony but yourself to blame, My Page. You're the one that likes smart mares."

Celestia laughed softly and nosed at my mane, hugging me closer with her wing.

"Suppose you are right about that," I admitted before I sighed, "I'm sorry."

"You are right to be upset, love," Celestia told me, "You're under a lot of pressure right now. And my sister is also correct, we have not treated you well."

"...I don't know about that," I admitted, feeling a small smile tug at my lips, "Fairly sure being in an alicorn sandwich is a fantasy of a fair few ponies."

Celestia smiled, "Oh, it is. You should see some of the artwork through the ages. Luna, do you remember the one gifted to you from… oh what was her name?"

Luna actually blushed.

Like, all the way to the tips of her ears. I never even seen her do that before!

"I burned that, sister," Luna told her firmly, "And how do you remember, that was thousands of years ago!"

Celestia smirked, "Because I... may have discretely commissioned the artist for it. Well worth it for your reaction when it was presented."

Luna's eyes went wide, "You!" she exclaimed and pounced across my back to tackle her sister.

Celestia laughed.

I grinned at the sight and touched my hoof against the broken ground beneath me. Grass and plants started to flow across the landscape, trees visibly growing as the mountains cooled above.

They finally stopped, laughing as they laid side by side. I got to my hooves and walked over to them, "Now I'm curious," I admitted.

Luna grinned and then pulled me down next to her on the now grass covered ground, "Be a good colt and I might even demonstrate later."

Oh.

Yay.

Celestia smiled and got up onto her hooves, moving around to lay on my other side, "As for now, we really should discuss what to do next," she said before looking at Luna more seriously, "Because we're not making our stallion shoulder this alone."

"Agreed," Luna said with a firm nod.