• Published 3rd Oct 2012
  • 2,155 Views, 79 Comments

Celestia's Brothers - CaptainSanchez



The Princes have been invited to Luna's birthday party, only... they've changed.

  • ...
51
 79
 2,155

Prologue: Of The Land and Sea

Celestia's Brothers

Prologue: Of The Land and Sea

Edited by Rain-M24

Long ago, before the rise of Nightmare Moon or the Rule of Discord, Two Alicorns were born. They were not the Sisters that rule the sky, for they would come later. Yes, odd as it seems, the Alicorn brothers that would rule the land and sea came along before Celestia and Luna. Their names were Terrestrion and Aquinus, the Great Alicorn Twins. You will not read of them in any early Equestrian literature; for they chose to keep themselves isolated from the world, each for a different reason. Aquinus thought his work would be too demanding, as he would have to rule all of the planet's water continuously. Terrestrion's reasons were quite different, as he feared that he would inadvertently use his powers to kill thousands. Each of the siblings had this Fear on some level. However, due to Terrestrion's overly-caring nature, it was a much greater influence on him than his siblings. What little can still be found on them is either highly degraded or vague myths. Celestia and Luna remember them well, though, despite not having seen them in two millennia. From what they remember, Terrestrion is extremely kind and loving; Aquinus is playful, fun-loving, and loyal. Celestia recently sent her brothers invitations to Luna's birthday party, as a means of both sharing a happy occasion with them, but reuniting the siblings after millennia apart. Little did she know that the Princes have changed greatly in their isolation.

**(In a Zebrican Cave)***

Prince Terrestrion awoke on a day much like every other: dark, lonely, and dry. He had spent the last 2,000 years in his Zebrican cave, making sure to stay away from everypony else. He ruled over the planet's rock and dirt; really, that didn't entail very much. An earthquake here, a new volcano there, he had almost nothing to do but dream. He knew he could probably go back to Equestria, and even stay there without accidentally injuring anypony. He just didn't really have a reason. Lulu was still on the moon, last he heard. He'd grown more than a little bit out of touch with his sister. Besides, he hadn't interacted with anypony in two millennia; he was'nt even sure if he could still talk!

What was that? He got up, surprised by the knocking on the bowlder that blocked the entrance to his cave. Who in Mother's Mane could that be? he wondered. The Zebras are terrified of these caves, and only Tia knows that I went to Zebrica. He used his magic to shove the bowlder downwards, opening the closest thing he had to a front door. What he saw there was quite a surprise; a slate grey pegasus with golden eyes and a black tail in dark blue armor, which was

emblazoned with a crescent moon. It's one of Lulu's Night Guards, he thought, but she's supposed to be on the moon!

The Guard looked at Terrestrion's unkempt, dirty form and said, "Prince Terrestrion?"

Terrestrion looked a bit worried; after a few minutes of obvious effort, he finally managed to answer to the guard in a dry, strained voice. "Yes?'

"I am Nightshade, of Princess Luna's Night Guard. I have been sent to deliver you an invitation to Her Majesty's Birthday Party."

Terrestrion looked a bit surprised, and after searching for the right words he asked, "But I thought she was still on the moon, when did she get back?" Nightshade almost laughed, but was too well trained to laugh at this long-secluded Prince.

He dutifully replied, "Last Summer, Your Highness." Terrestrion wasn't too shocked to hear this, knowing that he was speaking to a member of the Royal Guard for the Night.

After searching for the necessary words, he said, "I'd love to come, but could you please lead me there? I haven't left this cave for anything but food in centuries; I don't think I remember where to go. Also, I can barely remember how to talk. Could you reteach me the modern form of Equestrian?"

Nightshade, despite his cool demeanor, was rather embarrassed to respond. "Actually, Your Highness, the Princess ordered me to do that; as soon as you're ready to leave, we will."

Terrestrion decided it best to invite the Guard into his cave while he prepared for the journey. The Guard did as instructed and entered the dirty, barren cave. It was mostly empty, aside from the bed composed of solid rock; which the alicorn made soft with his ability to manipulate rock, along with a chest and a very tarnished silver chest plate hidden in the corner. After several minutes, Terrestrion returned to Nightshade. As Terrestrion moved about the room, Nightshade took the opportunity to get a good look at the Prince. He was a fairly tall stallion; standing two hooves taller than Princess Celestia, with a coat as black as a moonless night and trimmed fetlocks, revealing his blood red hooves. His mane and tail are very jagged, and alternate color between bright red and pitch black. His eyes are an even deeper shade of red than his hooves, and his cutie mark was a stylized boulder in front of a red triangle. He was wearing a very worn-looking red robe and the tarnished breastplate from the corner.

***

Aquinus was just as tall as his brother, but more lean than bulky; so as to be more hydrodynamic whilst swimming. His tenure alone on his small island had left him feeling very alone, in desperate need of a close family. This is why he had his foals, Cadenza and Tydallion. However, Cadenza left him to be able to get to know her aunt. He wasn't feeling very well-rested; but then, he hadn't slept in 500 years. He looked to the sky, as he often did when feeling lonesome, and saw something unusual: a member of his sister's Royal Guard.
"Tydall!" he called out, "prepare food, we have company!"
Tydallion; an adolescent cyan Alicorn, obeyed his father hurriedly. After all, they very rarely had
guests.

The Guard landed, and introduced himself. "Prince Aquinus. I am Silver Wind, of Princess Celestia's Royal Guard. Her Majesty has requested your presence at Princess Luna's birthday party."

Aquinus looked at Wind, surprised. "Do you mean to tell me that my sister insists I leave my post, and allow the tides to cease while I go to a party?," he asked, clearly upset by the idea.

Silver Wind Looked at him and said, "No, Your Highness, The Princess told me that she believed your son was old enough to keep the tides in control while you relax and catch up with your siblings."

Now Aquinus was confused, which prompted him to ask, "Don't you mean my sisters? After all, my brother has been in hiding for 2,000 years."

Silver Wind shook his head and replied, "No, Sir. Your brother has agreed to come to the party already."

Aquinus sighed. "Fine, come with me and have some of my son's food, before we leave," he said.

As Silver Wind followed Aquinus to the Dining Room, he noticed some interesting features; Aquinus had a black mane

and tail, each with a blue stripe. His coat was a shade of blue that would put the seas themselves to shame. His eyes were the

same red as Terrestrion's. Like his brother, Aquinus's fetlocks were trimmed; revealing hooves so white that it almost hurt to

look at them. He was wearing a black breastplate and a cape that matched his hooves, his cutie mark being a single droplet of

water falling into a ripple.

TO BE CONTINUED IN PART 1: THE ARRIVAL