• Published 10th Oct 2022
  • 504 Views, 9 Comments

My Little Pony: One as a Family. "Trials of Friendship" - SaburoDaimando



One month after the events of Life in Canterlot, Wanda will undergo new hardships, including having to separate from friends.

  • ...
18
 9
 504

PreviousChapters Next
Arc 23(Wrath of the Gold Bankers)-1: Another New Day

Arc 23: Wrath of the Gold Bankers

Another New Day

At the Canterlot Hospital in the early morning, Night Light was able to get out of his bed and onto a standing wheelchair with help from Twilight Velvet, who placed his legs near the wheels before fastening them in. While his legs were still plastered up, he had a more optimistic look on his face as he walked around his hospital room. Nearby, Twilight Sparkle, Spike the Dragon and Shining Armor cheered for their father.

“My legs are almost healed, and yet I feel like a million bits,” Night Light said.

“That’s great, honey,” Twilight Velvet said. “Soon, we will be ready to move to Vanhoover.”

“I don’t know if I want to,” Night Light said. “After what Gold Banks did to kidnap Twilight and Spike, I don’t feel safe.”

“Daddy,” Twilight Sparkle said, walking up to her father with Spike by her side.

“I know you’re either eager or anxious to move back home,” Night Light said. “But I nearly lost you and little Spike. No doubt that Gold Banks is now more dangerous than ever, and it looks like staying in Canterlot might be our best option.”

“I don’t know,” Twilight Sparkle said. “Spike and I were kidnapped while I was with all of you. What’s the chance that she’ll do it again, regardless of where I’m at?”

“Twili’s right,” Shining Armor said. “This hospital is supposed to be a protected place. And yet, Gold Banks was able to break in with her Debt Collectors and take her and Spike away. I honestly don’t know what we can do.”

“Perhaps it will take some time for me to decide if we should move or not,” Night Light said. “I know it would be dangerous to put her in a place where she could easily be taken away. But I also remember that she was taken away under our protection. Right now, I think it’s time you head for school for the day.”

“I’ll try not to lose focus, dad,” Twilight said as she gave her father a hug.

“I know you won’t,” Night Light said. “You’re the daughter of me and Twilight, and the best sister two brothers could ever have.”

“Anyway,” Shining Armor said, “I better get you and Spike down to the school. You don’t want to be late.”

Twilight Sparkle leaped up into the air and landed down in excitement before Spike jumped onto her back. The little filly ran up to Shining Armor, eager for the day.

“What are we waiting for?” Twilight Sparkle said. “Let’s go.”

As Shining Armor led Twilight Sparkle and Spike the Dragon out of the hospital room, Twilight Velvet walked up to Night Light, who held each other tight.

“I only wish our daughter can be like this for a long time,” Twilight Velvet said.

“As long as we have each other,” Night Light said, “We can make it through anything.”

Later that morning, Twilight Sparkle ran through the gates of the School for Gifted Unicorns with Spike on her back and Shining Armor right next to her. As they make it up to the door, Danged Spell, Sunburst and Moondancer walk up to the siblings, eager to see them again.

“Twilight,” Moondancer said. “How’s it feel to be back in this school and not that horrible Daisy Joy Tech?”

“Great,” Twilight cheered as Spike jumped off her back. “I’m glad to see you all again.”

“Wanda, Sunset, Starlight and Golden Lace have already gone to class,” Sunburst said. “But they also brought this unicorn filly with them. Who was it? Oh yeah. Misty Brightdawn.”

“I still can’t believe she’s a thousand years old,” Shining Armor said.

“Well her brother is King Sombra of the Crystal Empire,” Danged Spell said.

“Yeah,” Moondancer said. “I heard that despite his age, he looks really handsome.”

“I also heard that he’s part-pony, part-umbrum,” Sunburst said. “And that’s despite the fact that he’s the son of the late Princess Amore Brightdawn.”

“Yeah, that is a fun fact,” Danged Spell said.

“Spell,” Twilight said. “Are you alright? That’s rather odd for you to not crack a pun at all.”

Danged Spell turned his head away before he said “I just found out the chieftess of Lio Lani and my Great Grandmother Pele is coming to visit La Maresa.”

“Well that’s a great thing,” Shining Armor said.

“No it’s not,” Danged Spell said. “I still have gotten over biting her by accident, and being exiled from the islands. A kapu is extremely serious.”

“Maybe so,” Twilight said. “But I bet she’s extremely worried about you.”

“I dunno,” Danged Spell said. “I still haven’t forgiven myself for biting her, even if it was an accident.”

Danged Spell walked up the stairs and through the door leading into the School for Gifted Unicorns, leaving Twilight, Sunburst, Moondancer and Spike behind. Spike took a few steps towards the door, reaching out to the depressed Danged Spell.

“He’s taking this more seriously than he has to be,” Sunburst said.

“Give him time,” Moondancer said. “It would be best not to push him to his limits.”

“I hope so,” Shining Armor said. “I’ve seen ponies depressed before, such as myself. And in due time, he should realize how much his Great Grandmother misses him.”

“Wise words from my big brother,” Twilight said. “Glad I have you on my side.”

“Now come on,” Shining Armor said. “I don’t want you younglings to be late for your class. We have a battle routine set, and it’s time to execute.”

With that, Shining Armor escorted Twilight Sparkle, Spike the Dragon, Sunburst and Moondancer into the school building.

A bit later that day, Wanda Young, Sunset Shimmer, Twilight Sparkle, Starlight Glimmer, Sunburst, Moondancer, Danged Spell, Golden Lace and Misty Brightdawn all sat together in the same classroom with Spike and Abigail sitting next to Twilight and Wanda respectively. In front, Argyle Starshine wiped his glasses and prepared his notes for today’s lesson plan.

“So this is what Princess Celestia and Princess Luna did to their old castle,” Misty said.

“Believe it or not,” Moondancer said. “Princess Celestia and Princess Luna turned it into a school after the new palace was built nearby.

“I do miss being inside the Zacherle Castle,” Misty said. “But at least I know it’s been put to good use. Besides, at least this is far better than Daisy Joy Tech.”

“That’s saying a lot,” Golden Lace said. “I’ve been inside that school twice and I don’t want to go there again a third time. My mother was crazy to even kidnap us in the first place.”

“Thank mother that she’s now banned from all of Canterlot,” Sunset Shimmer said. “After the stunt she pulled on us, I don’t ever want to see her face again.”

“I don’t blame you,” Golden Lace said. “I don’t even want to see my mother again.”

In an instant, the sound of Argyle Starshine clearing his throat caught everyone’s attention. Argyle Starshine got up from his seat and walked to the side of his desk.

“Okay class,” Argyle said. “As you can tell, a few of our students were kidnapped and taken against their will. But thanks to the help of Princess Celestia, they have come back and are now a part of our class, once more.”

With that, Moondancer, Sunburst and a reluctant Danged Spell clapped as Wanda, Sunset, Twilight, Starlight and Golden Lace got up and took a bow. Even Spike and Abigail got up and cheered.

“Now that being said,” Argyle Starshine explained. “We have a new student who will be attending our class from here on out. Believe it or not, she’s more than a thousand years old and has known Princess Celestia and Princess Luna. Please give a round of applause to our newest student: Misty Brightdawn.”

Misty Brightdawn got out of her seat and took a bow as the rest of the class cheered her on.

“Now Misty,” Argyle said. “Would you like to explain more about yourself to the class?”

“I shall,” Misty said before she cleared her throat. “My name is Misty Brightdawn. I hail from the Crystal Empire: A nation located in the crystal desert due far south from Equestria and the likes of Saddle Arabia. My brother is the current ruler: King Sombra Brightdawn, while my mother was the late Princess Amore Brightdawn.”

Starlight raised her hoof in the air and asked “So how did you meet Wanda in the past?”

“That’s a long story,” Misty said. “And while it is hard to remember much of my past, I still remember meeting her that millenia ago after I was originally separated from my late mother and my brother.”

Wanda raised her hand in the air before she said “And I still remember meeting you as if it were yesterday. Being dragged back to the past and nearly losing hope of returning home. That’s where I met you, Misty.”

“And it’s still amazing that I met you all those centuries ago,” Misty said. “When you left, I thought I’d never see you again because you belong more to this era than to the era of back then.”

“Guess there is more to friendship than meets the eye,” Argyle Starshine said. “Friends can pop up in unexpected places, or unexpected times.”

“Mr Starshine,” Misty said. “I wish to talk about my own belated mother: Princess Amore Brightdawn.”

“Very well,” Argyle said. “Go right ahead.”

Misty composed herself for a big with a deep breath before facing everyone.

“More than a thousand years ago,” Misty explained, “The Crystal Empire was founded by my mother: Amore Brightdawn. She was a powerful alicorn whose magic was said to have rivaled the late queens of Equestria. She could tap into the magic of the Crystal Desert to create these beautiful, translucent structures that shone in the bright sun, or glow in the beautiful night.”

“She made all that by herself?” Twilight said. “I never recall alicorns doing something like that.”

“She did,” Misty said. “And it was because of her rule that the Crystal Empire became a wondrous kingdom for ponies to thrive in. It was also where my brother Sombra and I were born.”

“That makes you the princess of the Crystal Empire,” Sunset Shimmer said.

“It does,” Misty said. “But at the same time, my brother was born with an odd power that not even my own mother could understand. It was said that Sombra Brightdawn was the reincarnation of an Umbrum: A shadowy pony from an unknown region. Despite his ties to the Umbrum, Sombra was blessed by the light of the Crystal Empire.”

“Sort of like the Pony of Shadows?” Twilight asked.

“Something like that,” Misty explained. “But one day, a mysterious alicorn made our way into the kingdom with a dark proposal. I didn’t understand what she was saying, nor did I know her name. But I knew my own mother wasn’t going to say yes to the proposal.”

“A mysterious alicorn,” Moondancer said. “Did you get to see what she looked like?”

“I’ll never forget that look,” Misty said. “Despite her beauty, she had the face of a sinister monster and a laugh that filled my ears on that day. My mother Amore Brightdawn confronted her while Sombra tried to lead me away from the throne room. Though I saw a glimpse of our mother fighting off the alicorn, I never saw her again.”

“The big question now is who that alicorn who took your mother’s life was,” Argyle Starshine said. “While researchers and scholars have confirmed that an alicorn took the life of Amore Brightdawn, no one knew who she was nor what her motives were.”

“That’s what I call some mystery,” Sunburst said. “But I wonder how we’ll solve this answer without resorting to time-travel?”

But as soon as Sunburst stopped speaking, he noticed a bit of silence in the room. Sunburst looked at Danged Spell, who just stared out the window.

“Spell?” Sunburst said. “This isn’t like you to not throw in a pun.”

But Spell let out a sigh before he said in a depressed tone “Well that’s one way to face the past.”

Everyone just looked at Danged Spell like they were completely worried.

“Spell,” Sunset said. “The delivery of that pun just felt…uninspiring.”

“I know,” Spell sighed.

“He’s still worried about his great-grandmother Pele,” Moondancer explained. “And he believes that he was banished from Lio Lani because he bit her by accident.”

“Oh dear,” Argyle Starshine said. “Is there any way I can cheer him up?”

“I’m afraid not,” Moondancer said. “He takes breaking his Kapu very seriously, no matter what. In fact, he dreads having to come face-to-face with Pele. I wish there was something we could do to cheer him up.”

But as the other ponies talked amongst each other, Wanda began to drift a bit, reflecting on Misty’s past.

“It’s strange,” Wanda thought to herself. “When Misty described her past about losing her mommy to the unknown alicorn, it’s as if I can remember that event clearly. I wonder if I am a reincarnation of this Amore Brightdawn.”

Later that day, Wanda, Sunset, Twilight, Starlight, Spike, Abigail, Shining Armor, Misty, Sunburst, Golden Lace, Moondancer and a depressed Danged Spell walked away from school and down the streets in Canterlot. While most of the group was happy and content, Wanda’s mind continued to drift off as she walked alongside her adopted sister.

“It’s still amazing that you’re more than a thousand years old,” Shining Armor said to Misty. “And yet, you’re still a filly.”

“I can’t seem to explain why,” Misty said. “But I think my late mother had a special kind of power that even dwarfs Princess Celestia and Princess Luna. A power that I possess from her.”

“A secret power, huh?” Sunset Shimmer said. “That explains a lot since off-spring can inherit the magic of their parents.”

“This makes me wonder what kind of magic Amore had,” Shining Armor said before turning to Wanda. “What do you think, Wanda?”

“Me?” Wanda said as she turned her focus to Shining Armor. “Wouldn’t Twilight know more about this?”

“I wish,” Twilight said. “Misty is new to us and I’ve barely seen her use her magic.”

“Tell you what,” Misty said. “When I get the chance, I’ll show you all what I’m capable of.”

“Sounds like a great idea,” Starlight said. “I can’t wait.”

“Just be sure you don’t catch the attention of one Gold Banks.” The sound of a familiar voice caused everyone to stop. They turned to the right, where Majesty walked up to the group.

“What do you want?” Danged Spell sighed.

“Oh I was just observing you all,” Majesty said with a smirk. “Nothing more, nothing less.”

Moondancer walked up to Majesty and said “Hey…Majesty. I wanna thank you for telling us where they were all this time.”

Majesty’s face went into a bit of a shock over Moondancer’s words.

“Uhhh,” Majesty said in an awkward tone. “Yeah. You’re…uhh…welcome.”

“And here I thought Danged Spell was a bit off,” Sunset thought to herself.

But Majesty recomposed herself and said “On a side note, you’ve heard about what happened to that loose cannon Gold Banks?”

“If you’re talking about my mom, yes we have,” Golden Lace said. “Besides, I think loose cannon is too nice a term to describe her.”

“You’re right,” Majesty said in a mocking tone. “After all, my mother fired her after she found out about the stunt she pulled. And as much as I enjoy proving to be better than you, even what she did to you was a bridge too far.”

“Y..yeah,” Wanda said as she backed up a bit. “A bridge…too far.”

“Anyway,” Majesty said. “I have a meeting with my mother to attend. Catch you all later.”

And with that, Majesty waltzed off in another direction, leaving everyone behind, though Misty was left confused.

“That’s strange,” Misty said. “I’m surprised that this…Majesty character ignored me.”

“Don’t think about it,” Wanda said. “Majesty is this one pony who we don’t normally get along with. Though I’ll have to admit, she does have her noble sides.”

“That being said,” Shining Armor said, “We better get Danged Spell, Sunburst and Moondancer all the way to the ground bridge portal to La Maresa. Then I can drop most of you off at the castle and take Golden Lace back home.”

“Thanks for being with us, Big Brother,” Twilight Sparkle said. “I appreciate it.”

“Feelings’ mutual, Twili,” Shining Armor said with a laugh.

Suddenly, someone shouted “Guys. Hold it.” Everyone turned towards the nearby corner where Princess Celestia and Princess Luna flew down to the group. Luna had her video phone levitating in front of her, speaking as if she were worried.

“Mommy? Aunt Woona?” Wanda said. “What’s going on?”

“I’m afraid there’s been some bad news in La Maresa,” Princess Celestia said. “We just got a report of a horde of Gold Bankers attacking the ponies of La Maresa.”

“Wait. What?” Danged Spell said, shocked by Celestia’s words. “Gold Bankers in La Maresa?”

“Spell,” Luna said, holding her video phone out. “I have your father on the line. He wants to speak with you.”

Danged Spell took the phone from Luna and turned it to his face, where his father Fortwright was on the screen.

“Dad,” Danged Spell said. “What’s going on?”

“Spell,” Fortwright said. “You heard what Princess Celestia told you, right?”

“She said something about the Gold Bankers attacking La Maresa,” Danged Spell said.

“See for yourself,” Fortwright said.

Fortwright turned the video away from his face and towards downtown La Maresa. Royal Guards are struggling to push back an angry mob, dressed up in golden attire. Some of which carry signs that said “Down with Celestia,” “Down with Luna,” “Down with the government,” “Gold Banks for Empress,” and “Tear down this false state.”

“What in the world?” Danged Spell said.

As Fortwright turned the screen back to his face, he said “Spell. I know you weren’t looking forward to seeing Pele in person. But this is now your greatest concern. You need to stay in Canterlot for the time being.”

“But what about the others?” Danged Spell asked frantically.

“They’ve relocated to the ruins of Castle Everfree,” Fortwright said. “My wife is also there with Dream Seeker. They’ll be safe. Right now, you need to stay back in Canterlot along with your friends.”

“Dad, wait,” Danged Spell said.

“Spell,” Fortwright said. “It will be alright. Trust me. You and the others are safer in Canterlot than you are in La Maresa. We’ve already removed the crystal for the ground bridge portal so they won’t get there. But trust me. You will be alright.”

Danged Spell shed a few tears as he said “Alright. I’ll do it. But promise me you’ll be alright, dad.”

“I will,” Fortwright said. “If your great grandmother arrives, I’ll ask her to drive them back from this town. Just be safe in Canterlot, my son.”

As Fortwright’s image disappeared from the screen, Danged Spell collapsed on the ground and broke down in tears. All Princess Celestia could do is pick up Danged Spell and allow him to cry into his chest.

“This ain’t fair,” Danged Spell cried. “How come we have to suffer Gold Banks’ own sadistic actions?”

As Celestia rubbed Spell on the back of the head, she turned to the others and said “Now you know how serious this is.”

“We are,” Sunburst said. “I only hope mom and dad will be alright.”

“Same here,” Moondancer said. “I don’t know what Gold Banks is up to. But to threaten the life of my folks is going too far.”

“I can’t help but feel so helpless,” Sunburst said. “Just when we thought we had Gold Banks on the ropes, she pulls this stunt on all of us.”

“Gold Banks is already wanted for kidnapping,” Luna said. “We may have to add starting a riot to the list of crimes she committed.”

Danged Spell slowly released himself from Princess Celestia as he walked up to Shining Armor.

“I’m…I’m ready to go to the castle,” Danged Spell said.

Shining Armor looked up at Princess Celestia and said “Is Princess Cadance already there?”

“She is,” Princess Celestia said. “Keep your eyes on them. We’re going to head over to La Maresa and stop this madness.”

“I dunno why,” Shining Armor said. “But something tells me this is a diversion, and Canterlot may be the target. You may want to put up some extra guards at the gates of the city and the castle.”

“Way ahead of you,” Princess Luna said as Danged Spell handed her phone back to her. “We’ve already taken the liberty of calling upon every guard and the Wonderbolts to help us out with that.”

“Great,” Shining Armor said. “I’ll take them to the castle and keep them safe with the help of Princess Cadance and Starlight’s parents.”

As Wanda jumped onto Shining Armor’s back, she saw Celestia and Luna were about to take off.

“Wait,” Wanda said as Celestia opened her wings out.

“Yes, my darling Wanda?” Celestia said.

“Could you make sure the ponies in La Maresa are alright?” Wanda asked.

“We’ll do just that,” Celestia said. “Promise.”

“Thanks mommy,” Wanda said.

And with that, Celestia and Luna took off into the air, leaving Shining Armor with the other younglings.

“Come on,” Shining Armor said. “To the castle.”

With a kick of dust in the wind, Shining Armor took off for the palace with Wanda riding on top. Behind him, Abigail, Spike, Sunset Shimmer, Twilight Sparkle, Starlight Glimmer, Sunburst, Moondancer, Danged Spell, Golden Lace and Misty Brightdawn followed from behind. But nearby in a corner, Majesty peeked her head from behind a corner before turning towards her video phone with Magistrate Creme Dream on it.

“Did you hear that, mother?” Majesty said. “Gold Banks unleashed her own crazed base onto the town.”

“I heard it loud and clear,” Magistrate Cream Dream said. “No doubt she’s bitter over being relieved of her political duties.”

“What do you think she’s up to?” Majesty asked.

“Whatever it is, it will affect all of Canterlot,” Creme Dream said. “Head over to my villa, this instant. If I know how Gold Banks operates, she’s going to launch the bulk of her base onto the city in retaliation.”

“And I take it the guards are going to be overwhelmed,” Majesty asked.

“They will,” Creme Dream said. “They may be armed to take on a standing army. But against these mad supporters, they stand no chance. Now hurry, my daughter. Time is money.”

As Creme Dream’s image disappeared from Majesty’s phone, Majesty placed the phone away in her mane before she ran down the street towards Magistrate Creme Dream’s own manor.

To Be Continued in…

Sanctuary at the Everfree Forest

Author's Note:

While this first part focused on Canterlot, the next two parts will focus on La Maresa and the Everfree Forest. Which means we're going to see the La Maresian ponies once more.

But where is Pinkie Pie, you may ask? Well she'll return when we go back to Canterlot.

PreviousChapters Next